Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the Function Ordering be Different from Model A?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Could the Function Ordering be Different from Model A?

Consider an LII as an example. Could it be possible that LII function ordering is better captured by the following?

1. Leading: Ti.
    2. Creative: Ne.
    3. Role: Se.
    4. Vulnerable: Fi.

5. Suggestive: Fe.
    6. Mobilizing: Si.
    7. Ignoring: Te.
    8. Demonstrative: Ni.

The reason that this might make more intuitive sense is that there is more symmetry in this model. For instance, in the LII above, the strongest function contrasts the weakest function (which is judging), seeks another judging function and is contrary to another judging function. Perhaps Ausra Augusta missed something when creating Model A... What do you think?

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..."symmetry"? Is there something I am not getting here? >_>
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay View Post

..."symmetry"? Is there something I am not getting here? >_>
    See how the left column is (supposed to contain) all judging functions and the right column all perceiving functions... That is what I mean by "symmetry"...

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does it matter?

Superficial and cosmetic ordering is different from the actual dispositions caused by psychological orientation. I can't tell if you're referring to the former, latter or both.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Does it matter?

Superficial and cosmetic ordering is different from the actual dispositions caused by psychological orientation. I can't tell if you're referring to the former, latter or both.
    How do you distinguish something "cosmetically superficial" from something "mathematically elegant"?
    Last edited by jason_m; 01-21-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    no.
    What am I to make of an answer like that?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a simple and straightforward empirical fact that the function we currently know as the 4th is the vulnerable one, whereas the 3rd is not.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a simple and straightforward empirical fact that the function we currently know as the 4th is the vulnerable one, whereas the 3rd is not.
    I am proposing that this might be wrong for something along the lines of mathematical reasons. I don't know how it could be established convincingly either way without a solid study. And I'm not a skeptic of Model A (which wasn't exactly your claim). I'm just thinking critically...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mathematics and formal structures are the terms in which empirical claims are expressed. they can not themselves serve as "reasons" for anything.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems kind of odd that a introverted-rational would be so against another introverted-rational function. To me, said function is more of a "there's that way (Role) to think of it, but there's also this way (Dominant). And I prefer the latter." That is, they're both based on some type of static system, but they source of them is different. Extroverted-irrational functions, on the other hand, are more related to objects in themselves, their potential or their state. That is why they make more sense (to me) as a Polr-function: they are not about understanding how things relate to each other, or a system, but about how things are. That is, Se or Ne are contrary to the concept of a system, to which Ti or Fi are related.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post

The reason that this might make more intuitive sense is that there is more symmetry in this model. For instance, in the LII above, the strongest function contrasts the weakest function (which is judging), seeks another judging function and is contrary to another judging function. Perhaps Ausra Augusta missed something when creating Model A... What do you think?
    No because opposite IAs don't conflict by themselves (they are actually very close), but as functions [1]. Then as functions, they trully conflict when one is Accepting and the other Producing. Please use the square of opposites as an analogy to understand how is it conceptually sensible.
    ---

Quantifiers make a huge difference. Imagine this case: Person A believes that all substances are composite, person B believes that all things are composed of simple parts, therefore not all substances are composite [2]. This corresponds to the Base (for goor reasons also called "Program") function role of generalizing a certain aspect to all facets of the universe. But now what? We have two people of diverging absolute beliefs, but who can't prove anything to each other for the simple fact that their the universals can never be proved (it would require knowledge of everything), it is a life-long goal that can only refine knowledge, but never be complete. I my experience, persons of opposite Base end-up in endless unfruitful debates, just not in conflict.
    Situation: one can be right or both can be wrong.

Now imagine a person C who has no universal opinion on the topic, but evidence that in particular cases one of the two is incorrect or unapplicable. This immediately dismisses the opposite universal view entirely, and that happens precisely because that view is universal. A single exception is sufficient to create strict opposition and self-righteousness in person C, which corresponds to our PoLR/Vulnerable function: the opposite universal simply cannot be accepted.
    ---

[1] - one thing is the idea itself, a different thing is if and how it applies.
    [2] - refer to Kant's second conflict of transcendental ideas, in the Critique of Pure Reason.
    Last edited by The Ineffable; 01-21-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: correction
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Analogies always give headaches to Ne-PoLRs. labcoat, I just got an idea, let's ask the administration for a "NSFSeC" tag (not suitable for Se-Creative types). I would use it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    Seems kind of odd that a introverted-rational would be so against another introverted-rational function. To me, said function is more of a "there's that way (Role) to think of it, but there's also this way (Dominant).
    That's why our second function is opposite temperament

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    I my experience, persons of opposite Base end-up in endless but fruitful debates.
    Crap, scratch that. Excuse my blunder, it's endless *unfruitful* debates. The former can be observed in Id interactions (ie. Ne and Ni), not Super-Ego.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The function "ordering" is just qualitatively describing functions. The functions are qualitatively different for every type; that is Se for ESFp is different than Se for INTp; but there is no order in how they are processed. They all happen simultaneously. If there were an order, you would be looking at 256 potential types. Since we have 16, there is no order. But you can add order to the function "order" and get more types - that is what subtype does, places order by grouping functions into blocks. Really there is confining block between functions until you place a subtype onto the type.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I see the rational/irrational type dichotomy as "means" versus "ends." Hence, the "accepting" and "producing" functions.

For rational types,

Basic (irrational) information ---> Complex (rational) conclusions

For irrational types,

Complex (rational) information ---> Basic (irrational) conclusions
    Johari - Fediverse

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Consider an LII as an example. Could it be possible that LII function ordering is better captured by the following?

it's a topic i wish i understood better, but Model A's functions are deliberately arranged to show specific information paths. if you look you can see the information path always alternates between an Introverted element and an Extroverted element (e.g. → back to → etc. for an IEI's Mental ring). you can also see that the information always goes Accepting function → Producing function, meaning that information of a certain kind cannot be Produced without first Accepting some other kind of information. and so on.

i think Model A is trying to show how information is passed along and transformed within the psyche, and you can see how these complementing and conflicting flows of information go along with the intertype relationships. if you take Duality, you see that their information flows are perfectly complementary, e.g. IEI's Mental ring is , and SLE's Mental ring is , which are two flows of perfectly complementary information going in the same direction (////). the same is true for duals' Vital rings. in the case of IEI's Conflictor LSE, their Mental ring goes . this is the same information as IEIs Mental ring, but the information is going in the exact opposite direction, which causes information "clashing" - hence why they are not compatible types. (ETA: besides the psyche and intertype relationships, information transfer can also be observed on a wider, "real world" scale through phenomena such as quadra progression.)

Work of Model A

(→) 1 2
    Mental Ring
    (←) 4 3
    (←) 6 5
    Vital Ring
    (→) 7 8

this article might help a bit: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...lation-Model-A

i don't see how the arrangement you suggest would necessarily bring anything new to the table. it would interfere with the information flows that Model A is attempting to demonstrate - which is not necessarily a bad thing, you would just have to show why your arrangement is an improvement upon the current setup of Model A.
    Last edited by glam; 01-22-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason maybe you are just saying this:

3. Vulnerable: Se.
    4. Role: Fi.

The ordering is certainly cosmetic, unless it is stated that the order represents a functional distinction, such as weaker or stronger.

Are you suggesting that the descriptions of role and vulnerable should be reversed (my model above), or that in some quantitative terms, Fi is weaker than Se (for LII)?

For the first option, I'd have to hear your descriptions to make a judgement. For the second option, wouldn't that imply the same switch for Te and Ni as well?
    The end is nigh

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. I can only see two reasonable ways to go:

Left are accepting, right are producing.

OR

Left are homoverted, right are heteroverted.

Johari - Fediverse

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a homovert
    The end is nigh

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    That's why our second function is opposite temperament
    Is that something to do with the creative function only being used in service of the dominant function, and not used reliably and constantly?
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am proposing that this might be wrong for something along the lines of mathematical reasons. I don't know how it could be established convincingly either way without a solid study. And I'm not a skeptic of Model A (which wasn't exactly your claim). I'm just thinking critically...
    The 4th is vulnerable because people deliberately choose to ignore it when making decisions. It always seems to be getting in the way. Your conflictor will do more than chide you for this: they will call foul and warn others of the "danger" you pose. All of a sudden everyone is against you and although you couldn't care less what they think, you are nonetheless anxious and afraid. Your dual may call foul if you disregard the suggestive function, but they will also forgive you if you "see the light" and convert. Your conflictor, however, will be very suspicious from that point forward.

Not to mention that your supervisor will unceremoniously kick your ass over it.

The 4th is in a constant state of flux because valuers of it are always responding to the use of your creative function. For example, LIIs like to test and pry. This is often thought of as an invasion of others' privacy. Did you have the right to experiment with the materials in your test? ESEs probably won't give a damn, and SEIs will probably appreciate knowing the results... but ILEs might be a bit unreliable in your defense, because respect for others' property is important to them.

And the EM identical to your conflictor will NEVER let it go... ugh. I deal with that myself. Lots.
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 01-22-2012 at 08:55 PM.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    The 4th is vulnerable because people deliberately choose to ignore it when making decisions. It always seems to be getting in the way. Your conflictor will do more than chide you for this: they will call foul and warn others of the "danger" you pose. All of a sudden everyone is against you and although you couldn't care less what they think, you are nonetheless anxious and afraid. Your dual may call foul if you disregard the suggestive function, but they will also forgive you if you "see the light" and convert. Your conflictor, however, will be very suspicious from that point forward.
    Although that makes the relationship seem rather unsymmetrical. Technically, you should both have an advantage over the other.
    Johari - Fediverse

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the work of Model A, I don't think that I normally follow that flow. I do sometimes, but not normally. Seems like Labocat does though. I'm less of an experimentalist and more of an inferrer (Se fear being the main reason). I think I follow the reverse flow most often, with a strong Ne predominance (not dominance... not an extrovert).

Anyone else who feels that way?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay View Post
    Although that makes the relationship seem rather unsymmetrical. Technically, you should both have an advantage over the other.
    I do, but only if I have a specific goal in mind as to what to offer. However, politics generally gets in the way. It's a long road back to equilibrium, usually.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread needs more facepalm, cause it's funny.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fact aha, big word there.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ive thought for a while that Fi base and Ti polr worked the best for me if it "worked that way"

math something something cyles something information paths

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    Jason maybe you are just saying this:

3. Vulnerable: Se.
    4. Role: Fi.
    Thats what labcoat thinks Jason is saying!

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    LOL, seems like labcoats philosophical problem is what number each function fundamentally is

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, i don't and didn't. what are you even talking about.

LOL, seems like labcoats philosophical problem is what number each function fundamentally is
    there you go again, agreeing with things that are patently untrue.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

no, i don't and didn't. what are you even talking about.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for INTj, the function we currently know as the 4th is Se, which is empirically vulnerable, not "role". what Jason suggested:

any more questions? apologies maybe?

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I dont think you understood Jason. Not that I care, really.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for INTj, the function we currently know as the 4th is Se, which is empirically vulnerable, not "role". what Jason suggested:

any more questions? apologies maybe?
    Not from me. That is because you reason formally, in labels, missing the point.

In the context, it was actually: Jason kept the numbering and naming of the functions, placing Fi as Vulnerable, on the presumption that Fi is contradictory to Ti of the Base. We know that 4th function is *PoLR/Vulnerable*, not Se. Being Se in the LII is a different matter and there is a reason for it, reason which Jason argues about.

If you can't get over you LSI limitations, let Typhon help you, for he is your Dual .

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look, Se is vulnerable in INTj, Fi is not. this is an empirical certainty. Jason claimed otherwise. there is no room for misunderstanding here except on the part of stubborn jokers like you that are catatonically immune to reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast