Creepy-male

^ FUCKING LMAO!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My dad's been anti-religion lately. Anti-tradition. Sure, rituals are pretty pointless, being holier-than-thou is very rude, and hypocrites are disgusting. Jesus is terrific, but why all the attacks on religion? Do they even know what religion is?

religion n a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Everyone has a religion! What are these people saying, "Jesus is my best friend but I don't believe anything or have any thoughts on what the universe is or who might be running it?"

That was definition 1. Definition 5, "the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith," is what people need to get rid of. And I find it humerus that definition 4, "the life or state of a monk, nun, etc," has higher priority than the one the fuss is all about and using that definition in your mind whenever someone mentions "religion"...

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been pretty hard-nosed against religion for over a year. I still want to start going back to church sometime, just not the one I went to all of my life. I usually come back to praying to Jesus, believe it or not. Maybe it's an old habit that helps me get back into the right state of mind to do better and to make a better impression on others by moderating my douche-baggery.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poetic nonsense.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

These are just parasites on a ever evolving sense of decency. There will be new religions, Jesus will become just another archaeological artifact, and hopefully humanity will still be around.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    My dad's been anti-religion lately. Anti-tradition. Sure, rituals are pretty pointless, being holier-than-thou is very rude, and hypocrites are disgusting. Jesus is terrific, but why all the attacks on religion? Do they even know what religion is?

religion n a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Everyone has a religion! What are these people saying, "Jesus is my best friend but I don't believe anything or have any thoughts on what the universe is or who might be running it?"
    Well I wouldn't say everyone is religious since that would require an actual belief, which not everyone has. I for one have no opinions about what, if anything, outside of the known material universe (although I did in the past), so I don't think I'd qualify as religious...

But I agree that the guy in the video is most definitely religious, despite his claims of not being so. His message would have been a lot more effective, IMO, had he not focused on separating his beliefs from a religious concept, and rather just made it about living in accordance to Jesus, which sounded like his motive but it got deflected with all the "I'm not religious, but!" assertions
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, rituals are pretty pointless
    i disagree with this

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rituals actually aren't pointless. A good ritual creates memories which recontextualize other experiences. Jesus dying on the cross is just the ultimate holy ritual. Qualitatively his death is the same as the numerous smaller rituals you find in religious texts. Just contemplating what he did will redefine your conscious experience - that is the power of the ritual. From that chain of events his name went down in history and spread to something like 2 billion people.

Holy rituals will nullify certain other memory complex's, all you have to do is experience the holy ritual. Sin is really just a destructive ritual process. Jesus dying on the cross - if you fully accept his action from start to finish [this is what christians call receiving the holy spirit] it will redefine your consciousness & alleive your sin fixations. Jesus was really a ritualistic human sacrifice, which is the strongest sacrifice possible.

But it is very difficult to actually fully accept Jesus & what he said; for me, for everyone. That is why people turn on Christianity so readily with videos like this. Usually the only way a person can accept Jesus is to corrupt his message. Christianity, though it is the supremely correct religion [since it contains the ultimate holy ritual], is also the least adhered to. It just seems inhumanely difficult to follow Jesus. Only through the holy spirit is it possible.
    Last edited by rat1; 01-19-2012 at 03:44 PM.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was definition 1. Definition 5, "the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith," is what people need to get rid of. And I find it humerus that definition 4, "the life or state of a monk, nun, etc," has higher priority than the one the fuss is all about and using that definition in your mind whenever someone mentions "religion"...
    Abbie I challenge you to a dictionary battle.

When people say "religion" they are typically referring to "organized religion," which deserves all possible critique because it is responsible for more deaths to date than both world wars combined.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yeah, rituals are fine, even necessary for some. The shitty part is the bigotry written into organized religion.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must question whether the bigotry comes from the religion or from the weaknesses of those who follow it though.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    When people say "religion" they are typically referring to "organized religion," which deserves all possible critique because it is responsible for more deaths to date than both world wars combined.
    Then they should mean what they say.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, organized religion comes with its pro’s and con’s:

On the good side, without organized religion, Christianity wouldn’t have been able to spread throughout the world!

On the bad side, it can bring about arguing, disagreements, and heated tension between people for sure.

--

We’re all human, we’re always going to be flawed and imperfect. And since we’re imperfect, the “organized” part with all its little intricacies will too always be imperfect.

However, the bigger picture- Jesus’ love, stays constant.

Christians focus too much on the “organized” part rather than seeing this bigger picture, and I think that’s the video guy’s main point.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guy123 View Post
    On the good side, without organized religion, Christianity wouldn’t have been able to spread throughout the world!
    Not true. If God wants it to happen, it can happen without anyone heading up a planned endeavor.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then they should mean what they say.
    No, you should understand culture.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If god knew me as well as he should, it would've been clear that I won't believe in him under the conditions of my normal life. That means I'd be predestined to go to hell. :-/
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually like the first video's message. Not necessarily what he said literally, but what he meant. I think that it's a very balanced view of Christianity that I don't often see with most people. . . I often get annoyed with all of the hypocrisy, which I find is what his whole message was about. Obliterating hypocrisy and accepting that we are sinners in need of Christ's blood.

The second video. . . . I stopped listening as soon as he started saying that he prayed to Allah, Buddha and Jesus as though they were one and the same God. That religion has never made sense to me at all. . .

Now I can see saying that I believe that there's a God that incorporates all of these truths from different religious books but we don't really know who He is, what His name is, etc. That to me is far more logical then trying to compile three different God's into one. lol.

[ending rant now. =P]

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    If god knew me as well as he should, it would've been clear that I won't believe in him under the conditions of my normal life. That means I'd be predestined to go to hell. :-/
    Yeah, everyone from Asia got the shit end of the stick too.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellow82 View Post
    I actually like the first video's message. Not necessarily what he said literally, but what he meant. I think that it's a very balanced view of Christianity that I don't often see with most people. . . I often get annoyed with all of the hypocrisy, which I find is what his whole message was about. Obliterating hypocrisy and accepting that we are sinners in need of Christ's blood.

The second video. . . . I stopped listening as soon as he started saying that he prayed to Allah, Buddha and Jesus as though they were one and the same God. That religion has never made sense to me at all. . .

Now I can see saying that I believe that there's a God that incorporates all of these truths from different religious books but we don't really know who He is, what His name is, etc. That to me is far more logical then trying to compile three different God's into one. lol.

[ending rant now. =P]
    I think it's a cultural thing. Its their way of both sending a message with their beliefs and trying to understand things from as many angles as possible and trying to unify extant perspectives and take all that they can from their existing wealth of histories and traditions, rather than starting off all new and making the same mistakes.

Personally I think the idea of unifying religions is a very interesting way of, in a way, trying to bring the world together. It makes sense. It's not for me, and I think it's silly and have fun bashing it sometimes, but I can respect it nonetheless.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard these views before. Hate Religion/Love Jesus guy is presenting a liberal Christian view (one that I've heard many times before in different forms and see almost as a sales pitch). I guess he's calling various variations of conservative Christianity relgious, whereas what he's pitching is seen more as "true to Jesus." But he's still interpretting Jesus a particular way, a way he was probably told about in a liberal Christian community (or I mean he could have had a personal experience and found a community that resonated with his views, but I'm just skeptical, but it doesn't matter how it happened). Anyway I suspect he has done very little research into the meaning of things in the Bible. It's not that it's easy to research this. I was only exposed to information more through taking a college course on it, but even before that I didn't assume that the Bible should be interpretted a certain way... one of the reasons I didn't read much of the Bible is because I felt lost in what the words might mean, what might be literal vs. metaphor, what things would mean in the context (the time) they originated from... without knowing any of this and not knowing when the books were written or how long each had been passed by word of mouth, etc. I felt absolutely unqualified to interpret the Bible except in speculation (but I knew I'd never follow up all of my speculations and curiosity and so well, what's the point). And even after my one class I've only scratched the surface of things. I did begin forming an interpretation of what I thought Jesus might have been like that I still see in my mind.

Anyway, when I listen to others sort of go on pushing their view as this sort of big truth, and in it I can recognize possible misinterpretations or things that very likely haven't been researched or questioned at all, my brain often cries "mindless dogma!" in response. Anyway, I understand that these beliefs are often backed by people's personal experiences, intuition or inspirations. But then I don't see one interpretation backed by something like that as any more valid or invalid than another in the land of personal beliefs. I'm sure many people who identify themselves as "Christian" and "Republican" and see these things as intertwined (in that it would be very unChristian of them not to vote Republican) have their own experiences and deeply felt sentiments that tell them their truth is an ultimate truth as well. Really listening to it all just annoys me for the most part. It's back to "I believe it because I believe it and I insist that you believe it too, and here's a great depth of feeling I have about it, which of course means you must believe it because if I feel this strongly about it, it simply must be the Truth... there is after all only one Truth and the minds of man can easily pull this one Truth out of a vast incomprehensible cosmos that no one really understands and spout it to the masses in a convenient package. But man didn't do this, it was actually God who delivered the truth in man-friendly terms. It was God because I say it was God, and God is only the way I'm saying he/she/it is because he/she/it came to me and told me so," and so on.

It's all really quite maddening.

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not true. If God wants it to happen, it can happen without anyone heading up a planned endeavor.
    I never said it couldn't ever happen. I simply stated what did happen.

In Acts, God organized the apostles who started the first church, which grew and grew thereafter.

But of course God could have used other ways, for sure.

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard these views before. Hate Religion/Love Jesus guy is presenting a liberal Christian view (one that I've heard many times before in different forms and see almost as a sales pitch). I guess he's calling various variations of conservative Christianity relgious, whereas what he's pitching is seen more as "true to Jesus." But he's still interpretting Jesus a particular way, a way he was probably told about in a liberal Christian community (or I mean he could have had a personal experience and found a community that resonated with his views, but I'm just skeptical, but it doesn't matter how it happened).
    Actually, the message is more, stop saying that you live a certain way "because it's religious" and then doing something else [hypocrisy], and be honest about your faults and come to the one who can forgive you, [Jesus]. I don't really see it as not condoning living out the faith, but it is not condoning living like a Pharisee or a scribe [talked about in the NT.]

Anyway I suspect he has done very little research into the meaning of things in the Bible. It's not that it's easy to research this. I was only exposed to information more through taking a college course on it, but even before that I didn't assume that the Bible should be interpretted a certain way... one of the reasons I didn't read much of the Bible is because I felt lost in what the words might mean, what might be literal vs. metaphor, what things would mean in the context (the time) they originated from... without knowing any of this and not knowing when the books were written or how long each had been passed by word of mouth, etc. I felt absolutely unqualified to interpret the Bible except in speculation (but I knew I'd never follow up all of my speculations and curiosity and so well, what's the point). And even after my one class I've only scratched the surface of things. I did begin forming an interpretation of what I thought Jesus might have been like that I still see in my mind.
    I honestly believe that all you really need to study as a Christian is scripture. Obviously, History and languages so that you can read the original texts are great sources to learn more about the entire meanings behind everything, but I don't believe that you need them to understand the Bible. And automatically assuming that he who is giving a message hasn't done his research [when you yourself really wouldn't know as you admitted] is kind of harsh and presumptuous.

Anyway, when I listen to others sort of go on pushing their view as this sort of big truth, and in it I can recognize possible misinterpretations or things that very likely haven't been researched or questioned at all, my brain often cries "mindless dogma!" in response. Anyway, I understand that these beliefs are often backed by people's personal experiences, intuition or inspirations. But then I don't see one interpretation backed by something like that as any more valid or invalid than another in the land of personal beliefs. I'm sure many people who identify themselves as "Christian" and "Republican" and see these things as intertwined (in that it would be very unChristian of them not to vote Republican) have their own experiences and deeply felt sentiments that tell them their truth is an ultimate truth as well. Really listening to it all just annoys me for the most part. It's back to "I believe it because I believe it and I insist that you believe it too, and here's a great depth of feeling I have about it, which of course means you must believe it because if I feel this strongly about it, it simply must be the Truth... there is after all only one Truth and the minds of man can easily pull this one Truth out of a vast incomprehensible cosmos that no one really understands and spout it to the masses in a convenient package. But man didn't do this, it was actually God who delivered the truth in man-friendly terms. It was God because I say it was God, and God is only the way I'm saying he/she/it is because he/she/it came to me and told me so," and so on.
    I understand your skepticism here. . . but in their defense, often what is felt can not be argued. You can't really explain faith, you simply feel it. That presence. It's understandable that you don't find that as a sound [logical] argument, because it's not. Faith is faith. . . . you can't argue it or try and force it on others. It just doesn't work that way. It's an individual feeling or acknowledgement that there is someone that is bigger then everything, a God so-to-speak that makes the world go-round. [I know. Corny phrase. =P]

It's all really quite maddening.
    I'm really sorry that you feel that way. . . . maybe you should go to threads that won't upset you as much.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's talking out of his ass.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of funny. He talks about the values of Jesus and how he loves that and yet he "hates religion". Wasn't the example Jesus was trying to set was, in essence, not to "hate"? I think Jesus vastly underestimated human stupidity...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DividedsGhost View Post
    I think Jesus vastly underestimated human stupidity...
    He kept comparing us to sheep.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psalm 23
    King James Version (KJV)
    Psalm 23

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...23&version=KJV
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Creepy-bg

the lord is my shepherd...i shall not want for nothing. he makes me lie down in the green pastures. he greases up my head with oil. he gives me kung-fu in the face of my enemies. amen....

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't follow any institutionalized religion or believe in God. But I can still approach a mystery. I can sometimes pray even though I don't believe in God because I can put my disbelief to the side for a moment, or the lack of belief doesn't get in the way in the first place, if it's illogical - well, I don't care. I think fate in God is greatly overrated in Christianity. Yesterday I went in to a catolic church and put some holy water on my forehead. (I don't know if it's supposed to be done that way). It felt good. I just feel people make up so many rules, theology, to define their own spiritual territory, when religion for me at least is far more simple. I can eat food from different cultures too.
    Last edited by Nowisthetime; 01-20-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He kept comparing us to sheep.
    How so? If that's true, then I wonder why he thought being self-sacrificial would help people change for the better being that he didn't think much of people to begin with...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How so?
    "When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." -Matthew 9:36
    "Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel." -Matthew 10:6
    I'd list more, but don't want to be redundant.

If that's true, then I wonder why he thought being self-sacrificial would help people change for the better being that he didn't think much of people to begin with...
    "Why does the lamb love Mary so," the eager children cried.
    "Why, Mary loves the lamb you know," the teacher did reply.

Making stupid people smart wasn't the primary purpose. More like preventing the stupid sheep from killing themselves.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol admit you're a sheep or not, you're still led around by the strings - that's pretty much unavoidable. All you can really choose is which strings to respond to

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guy123 View Post
    Yeah, organized religion comes with its pro’s and con’s:

On the bad side, it can bring about arguing, disagreements, and heated tension between people for sure.

--

We’re all human, we’re always going to be flawed and imperfect. And since we’re imperfect, the “organized” part with all its little intricacies will too always be imperfect.

However, the bigger picture- Jesus’ love, stays constant.

Christians focus too much on the “organized” part rather than seeing this bigger picture, and I think that’s the video guy’s main point.
    Organized religion in the most pragmatic sense is in promoting community and instilling a sense of moral obligation that promotes community. The bad is when disagreements arise and religion incites tyranny and violence.

I was very religious for many years and I find tyranny inevitable.

I agree with the guy in the vid so much that much of Christianity contains self-righteous people who, in essence, aren't any different from the religious leaders who were responsible for killing Jesus. But I know a lot of good religious people who unfortunately throw their brains away when it comes to certain trivial shit. It's an odd mixture of respect and pity that I feel for the lot of them: respect in that I can respect a respectable deed for what it is and pity so far that such stupidity and evil can arise from the same people. But it's rare for me to trust a Christian.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    It's becoming viral.
    No shit, so freaking what?
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    No shit, so freaking what?
    lol are you having a bad day?

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, when you think about it not every organized religion has been responsinble for that many deaths, only Christianity, and to some extent Islam. Actually the extent to which Islam is intolerent is becoming evident only today, though in past the califat was more tolerant of the Orthodox church in the Ottoman Empire than the Catholic church was to anyone else during the middle ages, or the protestant churches where to anyone who didnt think like them during the 17th and 18th centuries. I would call Christianity the religion of intolorence par excellence, as only today's Islamic radicals seem to match up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast