Thread: Raw juice fast

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Raw juice fast

My husband watched a movie called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and is inspired to do a raw fruit/vegetable juice fast. A woman in the movie stopped getting migraine headaches after doing this, so he suggested we do it together, which makes sense.

We ordered the type of juicer they use in the movie and it will be here in a few days, so now I have to do some research.

Has anyone done this?

Does anyone have juice recipes?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-female

This is probably not quite on topic but one time I did an apple juice fast in highschool to get rid of acne where I ate only apples pureed in the blender for like 2 days, then drank a mixture of olive oil and grapefruit juice and lay in bed for a night feeling sick as hell, then did an enema on myself to pass the "stones". My parents were really mad at me when they found out what I was doing.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I can't imagine doing this is healthy for you considering that the whole purpose of stomach acids is to break food down and since juice is already broken down, it may not have any solid items to work on, hence irritating your stomach lining. It would be the equivalent of a person who hasn't eaten in a while. Increased stomach acid disrupts your digestive system, causing diarrhea, which tends to wash away healthy bacterial flora that exists in our intestinal tract.

Don't sulk your stomach acid in juices. OK!
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My stepfather doesn't juice, per se, but he regularly throws fruits, veggies, flax seed, and some healthy green powder into a blender and chugs it. (As my little brother says, it looks like ogre spit.) He's especially fond of putting spinach in there. If you use something like flax, though, make sure to rinse the blender thoroughly; it's a pain to get off if allowed to dry on.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fruits are acidic. Vegetables are alkaline. So if the juice is more vegetable and fruit, it isn't acidic.

I will make juice for the kids but they can just have juice as part of what they eat. They'll eat basically what they eat with some juice on the side if I can find some they like.

And if we start feeling bad during the fast, we'll just add some solid food to it and do a partial clense. Tons of people do this though and seem to feel good, and I've known a lot of people personally who have done it and felt good. I'm not too worried.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've lived off nothing but two beers a day to break the first hunger pangs around lunch, and before bed so my sleep isn't disturbed. I'm sure you could live off juice. People who freak out about nutrients underestimate the human body and are trying to think too hard about something that doesn't need thinking about.

All you need to know about nutrition, and this is not medical advice, is that you just need to be maintaining your body's economy. Things that get taken out of the body in large quantities are collagen (so keep your vitamin C up), calcium, iron for women (men can survive off plant iron; trust me, I've had blood tests), and possible other minerals. Other vitamins to watch are B12, and D if you're nocturnal or a homebody; not sure about others. I've never had problems with A, E or K.

In fact, despite my inconsistent eating, the only nutrient deficiency I've ever had is a D deficiency, and the resultant calcium deficiency.

The beer fasting was for a fortnight. Two years ago when another depression hit me and I couldn't go shopping, I lived for two months on nothing but bread and water and the occasional pizza delivery for two months. The human body doesn't break down in a week, it doesn't break down in a month, and only your metabolism will change if you do the wrong thing for a year...

The main enemy will always be hunger and not nutrition; unless you're exercising at which point macro nutrients become important, like supporting the muscle damage with adequate protein and keeping carb intake up to sustain the energy expenditure.
    Last edited by Cat King Cole; 01-16-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a juicer for Christmas & mainly juice vegetables. It's a good way to get a large amount of nutrients without getting full from all the fibre. My fave is carrot juice, because it's sweet the only ingredient is carrots although you an add ginger and an oranges beause they combine well. Keep in mind you need quite a lot of vegetables for the juice it makes... so It's best to buy a lot of watery vegetables or add half a cup of water, because pure can be quite concentrated.

Here's what I like..

Red bell pepper juice.
    1 large slice of watermelon + 2 red peppers (very rich in lycopene, vitamin C.)

Carrot juice.
    7 carrots + a nib of ginger + 1 orange. (carrot juice is good 4 salad dressing.)

Green
    1 lime + 2 leaves of collard greens + 2 green apples + 5 stalks of cellery.

1 cucumber + 1 stick of celery + 2 leaves of collard greens+ 1 lime + 1/2 bunch of green grapes.