Thread: Things to think about

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Things to think about...

I just felt like making some uncontroversial comments on socionics that other people will find controversial.

A lot of this is based on the "big five" personality test. If you don't know, the "big five" is often thought to be the most reliable personality test available. Also, it's basically the only one most "experts" take seriously. The great thing about it is that it's essentially been empirically proven. This is also a weakness as some people might think there isn't enough of a "theory" behind it and that it's merely based on pure data.

ANYWAYS, some things I found interesting about this system after a quick search. Some of these shouldn't be TOO shocking:

-According to the big five, about half of personality characteristics are genetic, the others learned.
    -Things like birth order and gender can have a major effect of personality.
    -Personality characteristics change throughout life.
    -Taking psychedelics usually makes people more "open" after the experience. Thus altering personality.
    - According to Eysenck (the most frequently cited psychologist in the last couple of decades),temperament does NOT necessarily equate to being a certain type.
    -Several studies done on twins indicate that personalities traits between the two are, more often than not, completely different.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unleash Aushra's faithful to smite this blasphemous heathen and salt his homeland's soil.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gooey View Post
    According to the big five, about half of personality characteristics are genetic, the others learned.
    Left vs right hand preference is learned for example. Not quite characteristic of personality but...

Several studies done on twins indicate that personalities traits between the two are, more often than not, completely different.
    That's what I have been saying all the time on here but no, no one listens. It is called variation for fucks sake, even when a woman gives birth to 10 children, 10 of them are going to be completely different. Same goes for twins who are, in fact, completely different as well. Thermograms show that, animals can tell them apart, blind people as well.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you are, but I'm going to pretend you're attacking Socionics. You know, gives me something to write about.

-According to the big five, about half of personality characteristics are genetic, the others learned.
    I guess it depends what characteristics Socionics is measuring. That is, socionic types don't really look at neuroticism (I would like to imagine), or, say, (directly) focus on money. It more looks at how a type analyses information. Now, it could be that how a people analyse information and experiences is changed over time, but it could just be that this is fairly steady, and is based off genes and perhaps the very early stages of life when someone is growing up.

-Things like birth order and gender can have a major effect of personality.
    That's interesting, actually. I was under the impression that birth order can be slightly relevant, but not by a large degree. Do you have any information/sources detailing birth order and personality? I've always been interested in that.

-Personality characteristics change throughout life.
    Big Five stuff may change throughout life, but potentially not "information metabolism".

-Taking psychedelics usually makes people more "open" after the experience. Thus altering personality.
    Really? That seems to make sense, although I'd want to look into the actual experiment results rather than just taking your word from it. Like, some tests improve people's "Openness" rating depending on their opinion on drugs. People are probably more open while still under the effects of psychedelics. You know, it would be interesting to see the actual experiment to evaluate the conclusion.

- According to Eysenck (the most frequently cited psychologist in the last couple of decades),temperament does NOT necessarily equate to being a certain type.
    Is there a measure of temperament? Because if there is a typology of temperament, there are technically temperament-related types, and so it does equate to being a certain type. So to speak. However, it is interesting if Big Five and temperament is not correlated at all (is that what you mean when there's not a necessary type, that it is not correlated very strongly? If it is correlated but there is no neccesary, absolute rule, then it's not so much of a problem). This would imply that Big Five cannot be used to explain Socionics completely. Unless, of course, Socionics temperament is something different from Eysenck, in which case, again, not so much of a problem.

-Several studies done on twins indicate that personalities traits between the two are, more often than not, completely different.
    Sure, that's cool, and probably expected, actually, from twins that I know.

Anyway, your uncontroversial remarks are pretty uncontroversial, in my mind. Just sayin'. It's an interesting list of observations on Big Five, though. I guess it lets us evaluate the usefulness of personality types in general.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy