Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Do you know the artist of this one? It looks freakishly like one setting in a book I wrote, very close to how I imagined it. So pretty.

Creepy-male

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolShrimp View Post
    Do you know the artist of this one? It looks freakishly like one setting in a book I wrote, very close to how I imagined it. So pretty.
    I actually don't know, found it on another forum I used to go to. Reverse image search isn't getting me anything either.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The site won't show the image in full for some reason, so just look at it here
    http://www.canvasreplicas.com/images...0Friedrich.jpg

TIM
    3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

언제나.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    The site won't show the image in full for some reason
    Make sure the Retrieve remote file and reference locally box is unchecked.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uwace View Post
    So, if you believe this picture, retailers (who do nothing productive at all besides distributing the shirt) get 35$ which is more than 7 times the material value of the shirt.

Market economy. Fuck Yeah!
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so why isn't everyone starting or upscaling clothing shops to profit from that spread? what are the barriers to entry?

i'm guessing it's intellectual property rights? the rationale is probably that the design is worth that much and since it is owned (or the licence to it) by the retailer, it is OK for them to rake in the profits. decide for yourself whether you buy into that.

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I actually don't know, found it on another forum I used to go to. Reverse image search isn't getting me anything either.
    Aw ok, thanks for checking though!

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    i'm guessing it's intellectual property rights? the rationale is probably that the design is worth that much and since it is owned (or the licence to it) by the retailer, it is OK for them to rake in the profits. decide for yourself whether you buy into that.
    They'll always find a reason to justify their profits. Patents are a likely excuse for that. Maybe it's mostly connected to the inability of self-management of the producers. Those who actually work and produce the goods can't make profits without people buying their stuff (and not the rival's product for example) and the retailers take care of the marketing and the final sale to the consumer. And because every retailer charges high prices, they can earn so much and still sell at a "optimal" market price. They are still parasites.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well sure, the justification i mentioned often serves as a cover to pressure from the special interest (the retailers) to retain an opportunity for generating profits. it's often something the people "in the know" tell to gullible people to get them to sanction their dubious machinations. cronyists tend to work like that: they make a table with two columns, one with what they want, and one with a corresponding story they can tell to the public to make their preferred choices palatable to them.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post

she's.doing.it.wrong. >.<

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    What a doughnut, sorry.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The tears and blood cry out on the paper. "WHY AM I NOT SPECIAL OR IMPORTANT" Sam screamed out to the mystical guardians who govern this universe. "I work hard enough and I'm cute enough!" he said.

God pointed down his magical purple finger (about the size of an ape) and flicked the fag away so he would crash into a wall. "Because, your social skills are rather mediocre. You won't kiss Miley Cyrus' ass. You want to beat her up instead"

"But she's evil" Sam pouted, stammering his foot whilst protesting. "I cannot bow down to the dark princess, slayer of all empathy. I must destroy her myself!"

"There is no good or evil only energy exchanges. Only power" God said, morphing into the image of Nick/strrrng. "You must get in Hollywood's good graces if you want to be a part of people who actually matter."

"I want to instinctively puke on those people, not be nice to them and kiss their snooty asses" Sam cried. "It's too unfair. I'll just get personally powerful and destroy them all!"

And with that, Sam bit and broke God's finger. Served God right, as He had to make himself corporeal in order to communicate with Sam, and thus, make himself vulnerable. God cried out in pain and went back in the swirly vortex of heaven to protect and heal himself. "Fuck the rules of the universe, the Dark One must be slain." He elbowed a cupboard hard and in it, the audience 'ooohed' as they saw the one and only,

Legendary Rainbow Scythe. "This is MY weapon that I forged out the pureness of my own gayness" Sam said. "They create things? Well so can I" He lifted the scythe off the holster, put on a bad ass leather jacket and stormed out of his house in a lava-spitting rage.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Miley Cyrus levitated downward while wearing a dark and purple robe. She had on a black tiara and dark navy blue cufflinks. She was in a huge room in her castle, with a long red carpet. It was spacey, with dim light pouring out of tall windows. Miley Cyrus didn't like a lot of stuff. It got in the way of her expansive mind controlling the world.

An elderly assistant approached Miley with a saucer filled with blood in it. "Drink this, Princess. You must regain your strength." Miley sighed and backhanded the cup away. Blood soaked in the carpet. "I tire of feeding off the blood of the middle class" Miley said.

"But it is your food. It is OUR food" the assistant said, old and squiggly and 85 years old.

"I was human. Then I had powers, then I was a Pure Demon. Then I was a Zombie. Now? I am the ruler of all the Underworld" Miley said. "You dare question my authority?"

"It's just what we eat" he said.

"No it's what YOU eat" Miley said. "I am independent and I do my own thing. I will eat whoever I want!"

"You're so narcissistic you don't even follow the rules of Hollywood?" the minion said. "But my Liege, we are all bound by the contract."

"By aligning empathy with narcissism, the Elite have been able to stay in their bubble, forming a blood pact. They don't eat each other but they DO eat the middle class, the class lower then them. But what if one Elite gets strong enough to eat other Elites?" Miley said.

"Preposterous!" the minion said. "Nobody has that kind of power."

Miley telekinetically lifted up the minion and snapped his neck.

"Watch me" she said. She walked downward on the red carpet like an evil stuck-up bitch.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 01-14-2012 at 04:38 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"They think they can trick me" Miley said through bitter teeth. "Making me think I have the most power when really it's just a misty title that doesn't mean anything. Power is power. It's.... physical. Corporeal. Strong and hairy and smell good like a straight man mowing your lawn for you in the middle of July."

She was getting off track. "I NEED MORE POWER. POWER OVER ALL."

But she thought a moment. Power was also thinking, not just charging into situations recklessly. That was only fun *after* you were certain there was nobody that could stop you.

"I need a sacrifice" she said. "A counterpart of sorts, to keep me tethered to this earthly plane. Everybody needs a weakness to exist in a physical way, that's just how it is." Her eyes flared a fiery orange as she got a premonition of sorts.

"Gay Men. They've always been my weakness. I need to capture one, one who hasn't quite learned how to defend himself and wield the magical rainbow magic within him. And I need to tie him up and lock him up in my dungeon. So I can go out and have some fun."

She rubbed her hands together sinisterly. "That way when I feed upon George Clooney, my first victim, I won't become so powerful that I will leave this universe for another. No fun in just keep flowing upwards. I want to crack and smash and hound and FEEL. When you get so high you can't feel things anymore. You just know and know and know a bunch of stuff but where's the feeling? The doing? The PHYSICAL!" She kicked her foot so hard that her high heel went flying off and smashed into the head of her butler.

"BULLSEYE!" Miley said like the campy sociopath she was.

Another one of Miley's squiggly servants approached her and blocked her from going out of her castle. "Please, my lady. Have mercy upon me! And I must warn you, you haven't left your room in a while. Are you really in any position to kidnap a ****** by yourself? LET US help you, please!" he said, shaking for his life.

Miley rolled her eyes. "Stupid minion. I'm a God now...."

She snapped his neck. "I don't need any help. That's codependent!" And with that, she stormed out of her castle and flew up in the sky... looking for the PERFECT gay man to capture.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

While flying in the night sky, Miley Cyrus scanned the social imprint of all the gay men in their suburban houses, looking for the right one to capture. Nobody would suspect she did anything wrong, because she was Miley Cyrus, and she had connections to get her out of trouble.

She sensed one boy, named Kyle. No. He was too weak. It wasn't quite right.

Then she sensed another, named Chad. No. He was TOO strong. She needed somebody she could take down in a fight, but not somebody weak enough to die in the dungeon. She had to worry about him, without worrying about him. She needed a balance.

Every ****** was either too strong or too weak. But after four hours of flying around, she sensed it. She sniffed the air. "Ah...perfect." His presence was... perfect.

She made a huge cartoony hole in the wall of the gay man's house of our one and only, 16types adventurer, AGAPE (aka Lazybones).

Agape screamed out. He flicked his hands in the air and let Miley Cyrus on fire.

But she shrugged it off. "I'm a God, stupid. Fire spells won't stop me"

Agape looked around the room for anything he could hit Miley with. Okay, it's either my life... or my 64 inch television set Agape thought. With all his might, he telekinetically threw a huge TV set right on Miley's bitch-face.

"That actually fucking hurt!" Miley said. This was going to be a challenge.

But you can't run away from challenges. It's all about the Climb, she thought. She took one step forward, while Agape took one step back.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Why are you attacking me in my own home!" Agape cried out. "Instead of trying to get my money from a safe distance!"

"The rules are changing" Miley said. "I'm changing. But in order to do that, I need you to stay the same." She realized she wasn't making any sense. "You just need to come with me..."

"I'm not going anywhere with you!" Agape threw a butcher knife at Miley's head.... but she caught it.

He threw and threw everything he could think of at Miley, but she dodged everything. Couches, frying pans, even his own refrigerator.

She lifted up Agape by the throat and pinned him against the wall where the fridge used to be.

She lifted her arm up with the knife. "You know what they used to do to ******s?" she said tauntingly. "Kill them."

Right before the knife thrusted into Agape's sensitive and compassionate gay boy heart (aw), her wrist was grabbed. Miley Cyrus turned to the right with a huge smile on her face.

"We used to ask Gods to make our gayness go away" Sam said. He punched Miley in the face and then aerial axe-kicked her in the nose. "Things change."

"I wasn't actually going to kill him" Miley said. "I just wanted to trick him so I could knock him out and-" Oh Jesus Hell. Why the hell was she explaining her plan to the good guys? "Get out of here, Sam!" she pushed him back against another wall.

Sam kicked Miley in the stomach, backing her away from him. Being pinned against walls isn't good.

"Sam!" Agape cried out excitedly. "How you know I was in trouble?"

"I didn't" Sam said somberly. He held up the Rainbow Scythe. "This did"

And got roundhouse kicked in the face by Miley.

((okay sorry for de-railing another thread. I'll continue this later and elsewhere!))
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 01-14-2012 at 04:35 PM.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Tyrant with a side of bacon
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Murray at John Belushi's funeral

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Mainly directed at Pa3s - you're not accounting for overhead expenses.
    I'm aware of the fact that retailers have expenses, too, and 35$ per shirt is just the gross revenue. But that doesn't change the point of the whole issue. Retailers make profits without contributing anything to the product itself. The shirt is finished after it comes out of the factory, the retailers simply transport it, store it and put a price tag on it. The people who do the actual work have no other choice than selling the product for a dumping price because they don't have the necessary infrastructure to sell it to consumers. They're mainly just a minor protagonist in a large chain, even if the product wouldn't actually exist without their effort.

However, if the workers had their own company, they could probably sell the shirts for less and still make much more money than before.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There really is nothing unfair going on besides your socialist perception.
    Thanks for that.

Customers are happy - otherwise nobody would be buying the shirts/clothing, and the company would go out of business.
    Suppliers are happy - otherwise they would distribute to different retailers who pay them higher.
    Workers are happy - if they feel the inequality with their pay is too extreme, they would take their labor hours and expertise elsewhere.
    The owners are happy - they are likely operating at a profit.
    It's both cute and sad how naive you are. I'm sure some cotton picker in Africa has PLENTY of alternatives to his work. The only reason why people produce in places like South-East Asia is the fact that manuel labour is extremely cheap. Why? Because there is a overabundance of workers. Why? Because they have no other choice. It seems as you have never heard of exploitation, or it simply doesn't fit in your 5-year-old's vision of the happy world of capitalism.

If you feel the owners are making too much money relative to the market, why don't you start your own t-shirt business, and take advantage of this market opportunity? Maybe then your criticisms would lessen.
    No, because I do not want to participate in this fucked up system and profit at somebody else's expense. Can you imagine someone not wanting more and more money? Probably not.

From my experience, people have told me they still prefer to buy something in-store, so they can see it beforehand, as opposed to buying something online. There is a demand for businesses to have inventory on-hand, and there is a demand for retailers in the market place. Maybe you're onto an ingenious breakthrough to eliminate the retailer from this part of the supply-side equation, but as for now I believe it will remain.
    Absolutely unrelated to the issue. As if workers couldn't set up a store, please.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to confuse exploitation and capitalism. In fact, in your example, the cotton picker in Africa would be much better-off in a capitalist system where he could be more justly compensated for his efforts and have a choice. I think you're directing your anger at the wrong system.
    He already IS in a capitalist system. Or how would you call that? He is getting exactly the price he "deserves", according to the market. And he can only get paid for the work that "the market" demands.

I can imagine that, very easily. Some people choose not to play. If you feel it is unjust, then in a sense that is admirable. However, that doesn't give you credibility to criticize the system.

If someone who has never played basketball before criticizes the rules of the NBA, saying that the rules at the highest level are unfair, how silly would that sound? They haven't played before, they choose not to play, and they have no idea whether or not the rules are unfair. It sounds just as silly when someone who 'chooses not to participate in the economy' criticizes how higher-level decisions are made, before even getting in the game.
    What? According to this logic, I'd have to be a SS-officer and slaughter a few dozen civilians first in order criticize the fact that they exterminated people. Why do you think I'm not able to understand a system simply by its rules? And what kind of "higher-level decisions" are you talking about?

I think it's entirely related. A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with a theory. And you just have a theory. I believe you need to work harder. Otherwise, don't complain about the people who DO work hard and get what they want.
    And what is that supposed to mean? I have to work harder? On what?
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, you're saying if there was a "genuinely" free market in Africa, it would be fine? Well okay, that's your opinion. I doubt it.

You can criticize all you want, but that doesn't mean you have credibility or power to make any changes. If you walk up to that SS-officer and tell him that what you think he is doing is unfair, you're the one who's likely to get shot in the head next.
    Is that a warning? Better not criticize the system or I might be the next victim? Or do you think I shouldn't criticize it as long as I'm not in the position to make changes? People can be right even if they're not powerful.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're probably in more agreement than you think, we just have a slightly different understanding of the same issue. I don't believe the systems in every part of the world are 'ideal' or 'good' either. But what do you plan to do? You're arguing with a guy on the internet about capitalism. And yes, people can be right even if they're not powerful, but what's the use being right without power? Plenty people have been 'right' as they've starved to death.
    I don't usually jump at every chance to argue about the issue, especially on the internet. But you asked for it, so I spoke my piece. Anyway, I'm doing something which is certainly not much, but still in my power. And that consists of mainly two things: information of the people and the development of alternatives. A while ago, I have written a short book about the things I perceive as wrong or unfair and what I want to substitute it with. If you want to read it, I can pm you the address to my website, where people can download it for free. If you don't want to, it's fine as well.

EDIT: I think it's a good idea if a moderator splitted the thread, as this discussion is off-topic.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psst, almost all systems are mixed economies, which means that they are something between socialism and capitalism. Talking about the effects of true capitalism is often similar to conversation about the qualities of a mythical creature.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no more talking. more picturesss.

Tyrant with a side of bacon
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, wow, a whole page of obvious inspiring, beautiful, impressive, cute and mind-blowing pictures... oh, wait...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast