That's how I talk.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, anything else characteristic of how you talk? What do you talk about, what do you focus on, how do you/what do you try to communicate when speaking with another person. Is your speech fast, slow. Is it scattered, focused. Voice high, low? Do you use gestures? Your mood, body language. How do you try to come across...

That sort of thing.

Besides VI, I want to explore the prospect of getting a better understanding of a person's potential type by how they communicate.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People talk about their conscious functions.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

People make requests from their super-id functions and impart information from their ego

A good relationship to look at to understand verbalization is Supervision and Benefit and how miscommunications in these relationships cause friction

Superego and id verbalization usually occur in service to ego functions or in intimate situations.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Horny View Post
    Lol, anything else characteristic of how you talk?
    I don't know, I just talk when I think I have something to say about it.

What do you talk about, what do you focus on, how do you/what do you try to communicate when speaking with another person.
    That depends on the situation. I'm not blabbing about things that don't have anything in common with the flow of conversation, that's a given. I usually communicate my opinion on the matter, that is, what I think about it or how something shouldn't be done.

Is your speech fast, slow. Is it scattered, focused. Voice high, low? Do you use gestures? Your mood, body language. How do you try to come across...
    Usually fast. Slow when I'm explaining something.
    Focused.
    Thick voice.
    No gestures or at least I don't notice it. (not counting showing something, I gesticulate, then)
    I don't know about the mood - if something pisses me off, then I'm pissed.
    As knowing what I talk about, I think.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, I don't really talk a whole lot. Maybe this has something to do with growing up in household with people that didn't vocalize themselves much, so I picked up the trait, who knows.

A lot of times, when I do talk, I don't really think about what I say before I say it. It's like I have an idea of what I want to say, but I don't think about how to properly express it beforehand, so it can come out, uh, rude is what I've been told. Also been told that some things I say don't make a lot of sense sometimes for the same reason. I think my train of thought and words aren't always in sync with each other. Also been told that I don't seem to stay on one subject for very long.

That's all I really have from other peoples' perspective. Don't know about talking fast/slow - I think I'm somewhere in between. Same with high/low pitch. Although, I have been told that I tend to sound more "sweet and innocent" over the telephone. *shrug*

Oh, and I do like to use hand gestures when talking. Makes me feel more... open?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerorobyn View Post
    Eh, I don't really talk a whole lot. Maybe this has something to do with growing up in household with people that didn't vocalize themselves much, so I picked up the trait, who knows.
    Um i used to think that about myself, and it certainly depends upon the situation and people around me (and how i'm feeling both emotionally and physically), but i've come to find out from onlookers that i'm a lot more talkative than i think i am. A lot more cheerful too, than i realize that i come across as.

A lot of times, when I do talk, I don't really think about what I say before I say it. It's like I have an idea of what I want to say, but I don't think about how to properly express it beforehand, so it can come out, uh, rude is what I've been told. Also been told that some things I say don't make a lot of sense sometimes for the same reason. I think my train of thought and words aren't always in sync with each other.
    I have the same problem, though mine manifests a lot more in the latter way you mentioned, where i say a bunch of words that are in the wrong order and come out as gibberish. Often i am worried that something i said may have come out the wrong way and been rude, but for the most part the feedback i get from people suggests my fears are usually unfounded. Sometimes though, in my worry, i will make efforts to clarify, just to make sure the person understood that i didn't mean it the rude way what I said could have been interpreted. When I do any of this with my duals (SLIs) they're usually like "yeah i knew what you meant...".

That's all I really have from other peoples' perspective. Don't know about talking fast/slow - I think I'm somewhere in between. Same with high/low pitch. Although, I have been told that I tend to sound more "sweet and innocent" over the telephone. *shrug*
    When i speak fast, i tend to get tongue tied or not enunciate well; usually i speak fast when i feel some pressure to speak quickly, or if i'm nervous. My natural, comfortable speech pattern is on the slow side. My normal voice volume is usually quieter than I think it is. I actually have trouble judging how loud i am speaking. Because i've gotten used to people constantly telling me to speak up (which gets frustrating), when i feel it's important for me to be heard, nowadays I will actually take a deeper breath and intentionally shout what i want to say.

Oh, and I do like to use hand gestures when talking. Makes me feel more... open?
    Yeah me too. Not sure what my reason is though. I feel like it might help me get my point across?
    Last edited by Suz; 01-04-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if you have a speech impediment?

edit: I clearly did not read the entirety of the thread.

I speak quietly.

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I don't know, I just talk when I think I have something to say about it.

That depends on the situation. I'm not blabbing about things that don't have anything in common with the flow of conversation, that's a given. I usually communicate my opinion on the matter, that is, what I think about it or how something shouldn't be done.

Usually fast. Slow when I'm explaining something.
    Focused.
    Thick voice.
    No gestures or at least I don't notice it. (not counting showing something, I gesticulate, then)
    I don't know about the mood - if something pisses me off, then I'm pissed.
    As knowing what I talk about, I think.
    You're cool when you're not trying to be an asshole

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting responses.

Hkkmr, Nowisthetime, how do you both communicate, try to come across...or what have others said about you?

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I usually smile, gesticulate extensively and expressively, talk loudly and somewhat cheerfully without too much up-and-down emotion at all (this becomes hilarious/disconcerting/comforting when the subject matter veers into darker territory); when I get a little pissed, I usually semi-deadpan out something snarky; when I get more pissed, I start yelling really loud! I don't think I sound too hateful or angry or anything that much really (outside of the word choices themselves), just extremely loud; it's not too uncommon for people to cover their ears due to this...

As for words themselves? Usually really vivid and descriptive, sometimes getting really coarse and raunchy out of nowhere, but generally very diplomatic...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People call me "bubbly" when I talk. I talk quickly and don't stop. My voice is not loud, more soft. And I use a lot of unnecessary clauses, like "though" and "I think that" and "it seems like" and "and stuff" (I get teased about that) and really anything else I can add on a sentence.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What others have said of me:
    Opinionated, dominating, abrasive, to the point, funny, clear, incoherent, insensitive, tactless, charming, self-aggrandizing, frank, challenging, sarcastic, interesting, dense, thoughtful, thoughtless

How I try to speak:
    Clear, to the point, funny, charming, opinionated, challenging, sarcastic, interesting, thoughtful

I tend to write in short statements and little blurbs, and ask a lot of questions, generally to get some specifics, I tend to write in wierd grammer and edit a lot, sometimes losing some coherence in the writing due to not enough review of what I am writing. Sometimes one thought goes on top of another thought before I finish writing the previous thought.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've been told I talk like a mom or like I should always be saying, "now, children.." also that I pronounce overly well.

When I hear myself recorded I'm surprised by how high and girlish my voice is. but I think thats at least partly because its the "nice" voice used for voicemail recordings etc.

I don't gesticulate much, if I do I'm probably in a really good mood. I have a habit of trailing off in the middle of sentences when I'm nervous.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting responses.

Hkkmr, Nowisthetime, how do you both communicate, try to come across...or what have others said about you?
    Gulenko has written something about this: "a man of words and a man of deeds". Sorry, I don't remember the link. A man of words is the weak functions. A man of deeds the strong functions.

I talk alot about method and how to go about doing things. Because I lack true confidence in these things. It's true, really. ILEs - lot's of ILEs - talk about how to relate to people and do the right thing, haha

LIIs talk about power and territory, at least my LII friend does it. But deeds is another thing.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I dislike talking. I like to listen. And feel, and then release feelings through art.

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Gulenko has written something about this: "a man of words and a man of deeds". Sorry, I don't remember the link. A man of words is the weak functions. A man of deeds the strong functions.

I talk alot about method and how to go about doing things. Because I lack true confidence in these things. It's true, really. ILEs - lot's of ILEs - talk about how to relate to people and do the right thing, haha

LIIs talk about power and territory, at least my LII friend does it. But deeds is another thing.
    Ahh..I see.

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kassie View Post
    I've been told I talk like a mom or like I should always be saying, "now, children.." also that I pronounce overly well.

When I hear myself recorded I'm surprised by how high and girlish my voice is. but I think thats at least partly because its the "nice" voice used for voicemail recordings etc.

I don't gesticulate much, if I do I'm probably in a really good mood. I have a habit of trailing off in the middle of sentences when I'm nervous.
    You talk like a mom? lol...whats your type?

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrangea View Post
    What if you have a speech impediment?

edit: I clearly did not read the entirety of the thread.

I speak quietly.
    That's it?

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on who I'm talking to and what I'm talking about.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not particularily talkative, I keep a lot of what crosses my mind to myself.

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Depends on who I'm talking to and what I'm talking about.
    Hmm, is there a specific way you talk in general?

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diam0nd View Post
    I'm not particularily talkative, I keep a lot of what crosses my mind to myself.
    Aww . What are you energy levels like? Do you talk soft, low?

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

People often say I am dry and blunt in communication style, and I guess it's true. In regular talk, I have little intonation in my voice and use short sentences.

In an actual conversation about a subject I enjoy, my speech is often like stream of consciousness as I am trying to verbalize as much as I can before the ideas escape me. Although it can also be very abrupt as I constantly have to stop and evaluate how I am going to say something and what words I am going to use to say it. I have a tendency to ramble on in these situations because not many people I regularly associate with are interested in the subjects i am interested in...
    Last edited by nil; 01-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on with whom I am speaking. In the case of anyone higher up than me in the chain of command, I'm more monotone, direct, and terse. Overly professional and wooden, like one of my bosses told me I was going to have to loosen up. He's got a point. I just for some reason don't like being around any kind of 'authority figure' and it makes me feel like I can't be myself or something. Around people where I'm colleagues with or who I'm technically in charge of I'm a lot more vocal and spontaneous. I'll smile and initiate conversation, make jokes. Not sure why but the higher up I am in the chain than whomever I'm talking to the more gregarious and positive I tend to be. Maybe that's just over compensating for how I know how I feel around people that technically can tell me what to do so I try to be the opposite of that.

As far as how I actually talk, I tend to talk pretty fast if it's one of those automatic things you say, like "Nice to meet you = Nice ta meetcha" or "How are you doing? = How ya doin?". For some reason whenever I introduce myself I say "I'm Adam" and literally half the time they hear "I'm Matt." Generally though I speak a little slower and my sentences are kinda...clipped? It's like I'll start saying something and halfway through I'll pause for a second and think, then go on and finish it. I don't think the tone of my voice changes that much and I'm generally pretty quiet, pretty sure I've never yelled in my life really. Sometimes I kind of wish I had a more melodic voice that went up and down a lot, instead of being so calm all the time.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk in a quiet and kind of high pitched tone, I don't talk very fast but not slow either. I don't think I use gestures, if so then probably not often, and I suppose I am more scattered than focused. Most people say I sound cheerful, perky, or cute. I would say that I try to be cheerful and friendly.

Sometimes I fiddle with things while I talk (mostly when I'm nervous). I don't like when I have to monologue about something, because I always get the feeling that I'm coming off more dry than usual, also don't like it because I have too much attention and I worry about what others think of me. I prefer the other person to talk while I add input here and there/whenever they want an opinion etc.

What do you talk about, what do you focus on, how do you/what do you try to communicate when speaking with another person?
    This part is hard to answer because conversations can consist of so many things and be about many different subjects...
    In general, I'm interested in what others value or believe. I don't really care if these things differ from my view (as long as they don't sound ridiculous, but even then I'll listen but won't be interested) because I like that everyone is so diverse and they all value something. I always let the person finish before talking. I mostly just care that the other person feels the interest I have in what they are saying, and I give them my undivided attention and try to ask questions so they know they can continue talking, and while they are taking I often smile and laugh. Don't think I do much body language

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Often I don't talk much; I dress myself up in some elaborate way and smile pathologically shyly (but charmingly, I've been told...) and make facial expressions in response to things others say, unless of course others in the room seem socially uncomfortable and I feel that I must help out.

When I do speak, rarely is my communication "factual" or "serious"; it's more a type of prodding and testing to get some sort of reaction out of others.

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Munenori and Nil, your type?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only embarrassing example I have (sorta drunkish). I think I'm SEI. ???

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're cool when you're not trying to be an asshole
    I don't think I try. It is always tit for tat for me, so don't blame me alone.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My voice is kind of quiet with normal fluctuation. I guess "kind of quiet" is more like "really quiet" considering I am often not heard by people I address. Hehe. My laugh is explosive, then quickly restrained. When explaining things to people, I repeat myself and stumble over thoughts while trying to get my ideas out. My thoughts can be disjointed. Not really sure what else to put here.
    ...I wish this was helpful, hehe.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I usually use words. Sometimes I just use syllables. I always use punctuation when I talk.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LOL Abbie.

Anyways, when I talk I tend to keep a straight face, and a well toned emotional expression, not expressing my attititude in communication. This leads to problems in work related spheres where people expect you to show your motivation, I always keep a straight face and hide my motives, rather then breaking my individual pride by trying "prove"to everyone how motivated I am for the work. Usually when I smile its when first seeing someone, to greet though I dont continue similing if theres nothing funny being said, though I try to keep a postive atmosphere going on in the conversation. Hmm. I tend to be rather quick when I talk, but also long and drawn out, like Im fascinated by the logical sequence of what Im saying and sometimes people are confused and dont understand what Im saying, though Ive learned to use "simple formulas" in my speech which I find helps people understand what Im saying.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk fast when I'm nervous. Diplomatic most of the other time-- polite but stern if someone's giving me crap. Little on the shy side, though i hate to admit it and I'll mumble rather than say nothing at all when someone accuses me of being too quiet, "No..I'm aslkfsdkfskfk" (inner monologue "FUCK!"). I start the day at work trying to be super friendly...after an hour it wanes and I just go back to normal mode: smile, quirky joke when necessary, but for the most part quiet and get work done. and goofy.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start slowly, then progressively get more excited, then go back to slowly, then periodically I become progressively more excited again.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENFj-Ni, sx/so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told I'm quite talkative and bubbly. Expressive eyes. I have a fairly soft voice - I speak very fast, oftentimes because my thoughts come to me a little *too* quickly and all at once. I also smile and laugh a lot when I'm talking, especially if I'm communicating with someone I'm particularly comfortable with and who is just as receptive and playful.
    Last edited by LostinTime; 01-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    "I was never really insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched." -Edgar Allan Poe

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww . What are you energy levels like? Do you talk soft, low?
    I always project my voice from my stomach/diaphragm instead of my throat, it's in the middle, not girly or low.

Energy levels depends a lot the circumstances. When I'm having a good time, I'm the last one who wants to leave. If I'm not enjoying myself it's almost funny how my "batteries" get drained toward the end... I'll start out all smiley making conversation but it will get to a point where I start yawning every 2 minutes and getting irritable, usually I'll go home while no ones looking at this point.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Munenori and Nil, your type?
    We will say ILI.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)