Thread: Amon Tobin

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Amon Tobin

Highly innovative individual who mixes a variety of genres from drum & bass to jazz to create a fresh outlook on music.

ILI, in my opinion. Although there was a comment at the end: "it's about getting as much as you can out of all the things you come across", which made me think that maybe his valuing Ne is a possibility. Nonetheless, here is some music by him to show his Fe PoLR and Ni base:

(Drony, repetitive beats suggestive of weak Fe)

(One of my favourite tracks by him - I think this is especially indicative of Ni base)

(Again, repetition. There's also a tinge of Ni with the ambience. Another of my personal favourites)

(Great blend of '50s sounds with drum & bass)

I'm naming my kid Amon.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Amon Tobin, functionally analyse this song

If you're bored after a minute or so, skip to 3:05, when that Middle Eastern flute pipe thing comes in. That's fucking sick.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear a very industrial, dark tone at the start.

The Middle Eastern influence in the song seems to get swallowed up by the drone of the industrious main line. It does seem to bring an edge of... I dunno, almost desolance and emptiness, but it's very brief.

So what I see is the structured overall tone, and then briefly skewed by some sort of non-structured ... hmm.. space. But it doesn't disrupt the pattern too much, the drone continues on.

I can't be certain if what I'm hearing in the overall tone is or to be honest. I'd have to think about it some more.

The "influence" that gets swallowed up might be some sort of .

Eh, I dunno, I only listened through it once. But that's just my first impression of it.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    by "unearthiness" i mean -- there is a sort of ambience to it which lacks familiarity, enticing one onward?
    Yeah, that's basically how I see it.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they're good analyses. I posted a thread on the artist, Amon Tobin, a few weeks ago. I typed him as an ILI.

When you talk about the repetitiveness of the song, what is it that makes you attribute this to Ti over Te? What is an example of Te in a song in your eyes?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    more on this -- because +Ti
    I stopped reading here. Know why? +. I don't care about - and +. They're utterly pointless. There are eight functions: Se, Si, Ne, Ni, Te, Ti, Fe and Fi. -? +? Where are you? I don't see them.

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting thread. I just have typed it as a delta, based on interview from foley room live. Im sure about Fi/Te, however not about Ne/Si. Any other suggestion ?

Imo an introverted type, SLI (probably not, he dont seem a physical type), EII or ILI (probably not ESI, lack the Se creative aspect in interview).

When you listen to last album ISAM, Si-Ne aspect seem more apparent (I said just "seem") than in supermodified, Permutation, Bricolage or other "older" stuff. Technology and sound generation/transformation instead basic sampling have probably to do with that. Contrast, for example, with Aphex Twin music, wich seem more Se valuing (I said just "seem" - same here : old machine and old technique have often a more abrupt and raw aspect when in come to sound)

The famous live recorded at Brussel for Foley Room album is on my top-list of existing mix.
    Last edited by noid; 12-21-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

-- Maurice Chapelain