Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Emotionality

  1. #1
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Emotionality

    ...has nothing to do with type.

    I am by far one of the more emotional, accepting, and genuinely empathetic people I know , and I'm an ENTp, complete with PoLR. The most emotionally reactive person I know is an INTj. My psychologist, who is the best one I've ever found, is an INTp. And to top it off, the most emotionally uncompromising person I know is an INFj.

    Anyone who tells you that empathy is or emotionality is is completely full of shit. These are not in any way related, nor can a distinct correlation between the them be drawn by any logical means. If I hear one more person try to type their friends by saying "Well, he/she is extremely emotional and reactive; he/she is probably an ethical type," I am just gonna crack.

    Here's Gilligan's 3 (and growing) step guide on how to distinguish between Ethicals and Logicals:


    1. Ask the person to describe him/herself. An ethical will describe himself in terms of how he relates to people, while a logical will describe himself in terms of his abilities and interests.

    2. Determine WHY the person holds his or her interests. This is key.
    Ethicals are attracted to something because it affords them the opportunity to work with people, allows them to have a direct impact on the way others think or feel, or allows them to express themselves in some way. Logicals are attracted to something because it answers questions that they have, allows them to work with numbers or facts, or promotes progress in something they hold particular interest in.

    Environmentalism provides a great example, one that I am currently observing in action. An ethical gets involved in environmentalism to change the opinions of others and spread knowledge of worsening environmental conditions, while a logical gets involved to affect changes in policy or make new discoveries.

    3. Observe tolerance for social activity. Even the most extraverted of thinkers is worn out by contuinual social activity, while plenty of the more shy feelers can remain in a social situation for hours without being worn out.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  2. #2
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    well, according to your analysis, I am a logical type. It is correct, for I am ISTj.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,018
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1. Ask the person to describe him/herself. An ethical will describe himself in terms of how he relates to people, while a logical will describe himself in terms of his abilities and interests.
    I'm willing to bet that if you asked a random sample of people to describe themselves, most of them would describe themselves in terms of their abilities and interests. What's the first thing you ask someone after introductions these days? "So, what do you do [for a living]?" It's actually quite difficult to get people these days to describe themselves out of the context of their professions. People's master status is quite likely occupation, or another reflection of their interests and abilities as opposed to "empath."

    When I first came to this forum on the "What's My Type" forum before the V.I. onslaught, people would write those long intricate descriptions of themselves. They more or less consisted of the same criteria for both thinking and feeling types in terms of what was being discussed. I think ethical types may tend to talk about other people more often than logical types, though, in just regular conversation.

    2. Determine WHY the person holds his or her interests. This is key.
    Ethicals are attracted to something because it affords them the opportunity to work with people, allows them to have a direct impact on the way others think or feel, or allows them to express themselves in some way. Logicals are attracted to something because it answers questions that they have, allows them to work with numbers or facts, or promotes progress in something they hold particular interest in.
    What it looks like you're describing is Fe v. Te, which in itself, is not a bad place to start. Fe usually results in the desire to affect other's emotional states. Te usually a desire to affect objective change. However, the other side of the equation is Ti and Fi which are more or less self-satisfied functions, and don't necessarily manifest themselves in the way you are suggesting. Ti and Fi activism is more than likely going to be a reflection of whatever the extroverted ego function is - Ne or Se.

    In this case, I think the hidden agenda blurbs might be useful... Ti - "to understand" and Te - "to know" v. Fe - "to be loved" and Fi "to love"... the extroverted functions are definitely going to be more of a motivation for anyone to become an activist than the introverted ones. Ti and Fi tends to just stay latent within the individual's value system. Fe and Te are usually much more easily associated with proactive tendencies.

    3. Observe tolerance for social activity. Even the most extraverted of thinkers is worn out by contuinual social activity, while plenty of the more shy feelers can remain in a social situation for hours without being worn out.
    Actually, I think this might be more of an intuition v. sensory indicator.

  4. #4
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrummy
    3. Observe tolerance for social activity. Even the most extraverted of thinkers is worn out by contuinual social activity, while plenty of the more shy feelers can remain in a social situation for hours without being worn out.
    Actually, I think this might be more of an intuition v. sensory indicator.
    interesting. why would you say that?
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,018
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, stereotypically, this is the introversion/extroversion deal from MBTI... I don't really think there's too big a correlation between type and social stamina, but I do think intuitives tend to get more easily drained when forced into the sensor-dominated social world. I mean, compare the average ESTp with an ENTp, or the average INFp with an ISFp...

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrummy
    Well, stereotypically, this is the introversion/extroversion deal from MBTI... I don't really think there's too big a correlation between type and social stamina, but I do think intuitives tend to get more easily drained when forced into the sensor-dominated social world. I mean, compare the average ESTp with an ENTp, or the average INFp with an ISFp...
    Well, I totally disagree then...

    Besides, ENTPs can be some of the most social creatures.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,018
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Well, I totally disagree then...

    Besides, ENTPs can be some of the most social creatures.
    Fair enough. I still don't think there's very much correlation between type and social stamina.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, yeah, only that Extraverts seem to have more energy for longer periods of time, and also it seems to me that Feeling types are more likely to be shy because they are more intune with people criticizing them, or maybe they just don't want to offend anyone.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  9. #9
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,630
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    From what I have gathered, the set of abilties commonly referred to as "socializiation" are prominently a feature of and :Se.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  10. #10
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    From what I have gathered, the set of abilties commonly referred to as "socializiation" are prominently a feature of and :Se.
    That is precisely my conclusion.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  11. #11
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    From what I have gathered, the set of abilties commonly referred to as "socializiation" are prominently a feature of and :Se.
    That is precisely my conclusion.
    I would disagree with . I think has more to do with it. The majority of the more sociable people I know are those I have typed as Delta NF and Alpha SF, leading me to believe that it has more to do with F in general. I also know some rather reclusive Beta STs.

    However, I would not disagree that may appear to be a social function simply because it is valued highly by our society.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  12. #12
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    From what I have gathered, the set of abilties commonly referred to as "socializiation" are prominently a feature of and :Se.
    That is precisely my conclusion.
    I would disagree with . I think has more to do with it. The majority of the more sociable people I know are those I have typed as Delta NF and Alpha SF, leading me to believe that it has more to do with F in general. I also know some rather reclusive Beta STs.

    However, I would not disagree that may appear to be a social function simply because it is valued highly by our society.
    Absolutely not. I'm not a super-social person and neither are the INFjs I know. Some social situations can be outright draining, unless I'm with people I'm comfortable with. I also think socializing is much more desirable and enjoyable for those with strong and .
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  13. #13
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    From what I have gathered, the set of abilties commonly referred to as "socializiation" are prominently a feature of and :Se.
    That is precisely my conclusion.
    I would disagree with . I think has more to do with it. The majority of the more sociable people I know are those I have typed as Delta NF and Alpha SF, leading me to believe that it has more to do with F in general. I also know some rather reclusive Beta STs.

    However, I would not disagree that may appear to be a social function simply because it is valued highly by our society.
    Absolutely not. I'm not a super-social person and neither are the INFjs I know. Some social situations can be outright draining, unless I'm with people I'm comfortable with. I also think socializing is much more desirable and enjoyable for those with strong and .
    Well obviously it's going to vary from person to person, but, for example, my INFj father is one of the most persistently social people I've ever met. At a party or gathering, even at which it's apparent that superfluous social contact is not necessarily encouraged, he'll wander around and talk to as many people as is humanly possible.

    Perhaps there is no correlation at all.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  14. #14
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would say he has strong then.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  15. #15
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    I would say he has strong then.
    I would disagree; he often has extreme difficulty expressing his true emotions, and says inadvertently offensive or mean things when he is unsure of how he feels. His moral code and standards to which he holds himself and others, however, are unwavering, as his continual empathy for anyone or anything that he comes across.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •