Thread: Personality Disorder?

Hybrid View

Kuriosity's the name Satisfaction's the game Kuriosity's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Personality Disorder?

This is possibly the oddest and most appropriate place for me to come asking this question. Forgive me if I should not, but I'm limited on options and I was not sure where else to post this.

I think I'm getting pulled into a situation that I've come to believe is unusual at least and terrifying at most. I have a friend who I think has a serious multi-personality self identity problem. The details are convoluted and confusing, but my question is this: Is this a psychological problem? Or is he jut trying to deceive people?

The only sure information I can give is for years now he's claimed to have friends that no one has ever seen or spoken to, have no pictures and are of "high status" and a lot of money. He hides the fact of acting as them on facebook pages except that he slipped a few times that I've seen.

Should I be concerned for his or my safety? Its a little unsettling, and I don' know of anyone else to ask this kind of thing of.

If anyone can give me some ideas or speculations, please do. I'd hate to be in a situation like this without knowing possible problems I could have.

Thanks in advance,
    Kuriosity

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuriosity View Post
    but my question is this: Is this a psychological problem? Or is he jut trying to deceive people?
    You know this is extremelY situational, right... no one here can tell You which one it is. and if theY do they're just talking out their ass. it is a very scary issue, but i think Your instinct is better than anYone's opinions here. do You have anY mutual friends to maYBe discuss it with... that would be better than a forum where we can't judge it for ourselves. from what You said, i could see it either way. either way, it's a serious issue and You should find him some help
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

This is possibly the oddest and most appropriate place for me to come asking this question. Forgive me if I should not, but I'm limited on options and I was not sure where else to post this.
    This is a perfect and odd place to ask anything. LOL

I think I'm getting pulled into a situation that I've come to believe is unusual at least and terrifying at most. I have a friend who I think has a serious multi-personality self identity problem. The details are convoluted and confusing, but my question is this: Is this a psychological problem? Or is he jut trying to deceive people?

The only sure information I can give is for years now he's claimed to have friends that no one has ever seen or spoken to, have no pictures and are of "high status" and a lot of money. He hides the fact of acting as them on facebook pages except that he slipped a few times that I've seen.
    Sounds like a SNOB who needs to be in the "in crowd" and feel a sense of self importance.

Should I be concerned for his or my safety? Its a little unsettling, and I don' know of anyone else to ask this kind of thing of.

If anyone can give me some ideas or speculations, please do. I'd hate to be in a situation like this without knowing possible problems I could have.

Thanks in advance,
    Kuriosity
    Do your own thing.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think you just need to be around people who really appreciate you better. I think we all need that. If somebody doesn't like me personally they try to ruin my reputation and make it sound like I'm the bad guy.... I mean I've had people who hated my guts (For whatever reason) say I have every psychological disorder under the sun. Then if somebody really likes me, they never say that at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I realize it is situational, but the one person I could speak to about it either won't believe the idea even for a moment or won't speak to me because we've not spoken in months.

Anyway, all in all, I was just curious to see what people said. I didn't expect too much from it. Quite frankly, I also realize that I could just be paranoid as well. Either way, I was amused by some of the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by BubblesAndSpikes View Post
    I think you just need to be around people who really appreciate you better. I think we all need that. If somebody doesn't like me personally they try to ruin my reputation and make it sound like I'm the bad guy.... I mean I've had people who hated my guts (For whatever reason) say I have every psychological disorder under the sun. Then if somebody really likes me, they never say that at all.
    What's really sad about this is that this person was the only one would stuck around me lately. Of the acquaintances I had, he's the one that took the time to "appreciate" me. Well, and that could just be a ruse to win me over as well, so. It all up in the air, I guess.

Thanks guys for the randomness that was my thread here. Kuriosity is a little satisfied for now.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haha! Thanks -that was a good read.

Creepy-Snaps

Glad to hear you feel more satisfied already.

I'd just like to add, if he does anything weird outside of the facebook thing, please mention it. If that's all he does, it just sounds like he has some self-esteem issues and desperately wants positive attention. Maybe his parents didn't provide a proper upbringing. But not necessarily anything to be afraid of, or any safety issues, if the lying/facebook thing is all he's doing.

Regardless, I personally wouldn't associate much with someone who constantly lies. Lying about who they know, who they're friends with, etc. You don't want his broken mindset affecting yours.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if that person was you?

Kidding

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstNumberIsNotPrime View Post
    What if that person was you?

Kidding
    I wouldn't ever lie like that, or care that much about what other people think. Hypothetically though, if I were a loser like that, then I'd be glad if winners didn't associate with me, so I'd do the least amount of damage to society as possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Glad to hear you feel more satisfied already.

I'd just like to add, if he does anything weird outside of the facebook thing, please mention it. If that's all he does, it just sounds like he has some self-esteem issues and desperately wants positive attention. Maybe his parents didn't provide a proper upbringing. But not necessarily anything to be afraid of, or any safety issues, if the lying/facebook thing is all he's doing.

Regardless, I personally wouldn't associate much with someone who constantly lies. Lying about who they know, who they're friends with, etc. You don't want his broken mindset affecting yours.
    He tends to call these 'people' he acts as, except they never answer the phone. When I come back from work or something related, he says he's talked to them and this and that, but no one sees him talk to them, and no one had ever heard them speak either.

The reason for concern actually is because of the nature of these 'friends' he claims. Mob boss style things, like 'he can make this happen' or 'he can make this person just disappear' and stuff like that. He also tells stories of their 'younger days together' running around and doing stuff.

I'll be honest, I just hope its all a ploy, because then I could ignore it and get away from it when I get the chance. I really want to leave it to chance that he can't really make people 'disappear' and make bad things happen. Its a huge--massive--long shot that any of that is true, whether its were him or 'someone else' pulling the strings.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't think it's a good idea to ask a professional psychologist/psychiatrist with a humane reputation? No one is going to be able to provide anything here except conjecture, especially if this is about you wanting to justify getting away from him.

Creepy-Snaps

He tends to call these 'people' he acts as, except they never answer the phone. When I come back from work or something related, he says he's talked to them and this and that, but no one sees him talk to them, and no one had ever heard them speak either.

The reason for concern actually is because of the nature of these 'friends' he claims. Mob boss style things, like 'he can make this happen' or 'he can make this person just disappear' and stuff like that. He also tells stories of their 'younger days together' running around and doing stuff.

I'll be honest, I just hope its all a ploy, because then I could ignore it and get away from it when I get the chance. I really want to leave it to chance that he can't really make people 'disappear' and make bad things happen. Its a huge--massive--long shot that any of that is true, whether its were him or 'someone else' pulling the strings.
    Has he told just you, or has he told anyone else? (My inner Sherlock is coming into play )

How long have you known him? When was the first time he started telling you about these 'people'?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Has he told just you, or has he told anyone else? (My inner Sherlock is coming into play )

How long have you known him? When was the first time he started telling you about these 'people'?
    (Love your name btw. I love the Dew.)

He's told many people, in fact these 'people' are mentioned almost daily. I've known him for ...5 or 6 years now? But only recently have I been around him as much as I have. He's talked about these 'people' for years now.