Thread: How much is a presidential candidate supposed to know?

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much is a presidential candidate supposed to know?

This is what really bugs me about this stuff. I mean a campaign really is often full of this kind of stuff: "I think we should do [generalized idealistic statement]."

I mean I think that part of this is that Cain wants the information put in front of him and once he can look at all of it (while surrounded by the right people), then he can make a decision according to his ideals and practical common sense or whatever, and so he may not know immediately or specifically how to address every little thing. But, shouldn't he be able to better respond to such questions, because it's not like there isn't some information out there (although of course it isn't all out there)? But on the other hand, this is like what the game is... you march in and make your big idealistic statements, because if you don't do that then you're a yo-yo. I mean if you actually address the complexity of everything, then it's much more difficult to get some simple solution out of it that's easy to articulate in some clear black-and-white way. You're expected to be a persuasive speaker more than you're expected to actually know something. But lately, especially after Bush Jr., McCain and Palin, I've found myself feeling really concerned about people not seeming to know things, not seeming to remember things, not seeming to be able to keep their facts straight, and living in their own little world (like the Palinverse). Watching McCain before the last election also made me wonder how many people in political office don't have well functioning brains. (As a disclaimer I thought Bush Jr. and Palin seemed to have active alert minds for the most part--while McCain was the one who seemed sketchy to me... but still even in the case of Bush Jr. he seemed much more coherent and articulate in an interview I saw with him from when he was younger.) I don't know why ailing brains in office is bothering me so much these days, or if anything has changed since before Bush Jr.

It's so easy to see oneself sitting on top of the world and people come up to you and tell you of problems and await your wise ruling on what to do about it... I mean I think lots of people who want to be in charge would find that ideal and believe that if you just put them (the magic person) there, presented with all of the facts, then they would create out of it these magic solutions. But I don't think it's real. Watching things like this just make me feel like everything is wrong--like it's some kind of political twilight zone.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someone replied