Thread: Favourite dishes from different cuisines - Asian edition

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    I just really like talking about food. And I love recommendations. I was going to make this thread for all cuisine, then I saw how much I'd already written for just Asian food. Feel free to start threads for other continents!

Korean - marinated beef ribs, bibim naengmyeon (cold spicy buckwheat noodles), honey potatoes

Japanese - cold somen, tonkotsu ramen, udon, deep fried anything, sea urchin sashimi, scallop sashimi, tuna sashimi, pickled ginger, okonomiyaki, beef cooked in that sticky sweet dark smoky sauce which I don't know the name of , pasta (I like how they do it light and super al dente), matcha-based desserts

Vietnamese - pho (must contain MSG), banh hoi with nuoc cham, anything with nuoc cham, rice paper rolls with nuoc cham

Thai - tom yum soup, pad ki mao (chilli basil stir-fried noodles)

Malaysian - laksa, satay duh, fluffy roti canai, instant mi goreng

Uighur - lamb dumplings, chewy fat handpulled noodles, square pasta

Cantonese - omg so much. Roast duck, lean pork and century egg congee with deepfried breadsticks, ginger crab, prawn and pork wontons, yum cha prawn dumplings, yum cha open-topped por dumplings, beef brisket with egg noodles, oyster sauce on anything, XO sauce on anything, crispy egg noodles, shark fin soup (for the flavour, I'm happy to not have actual shark in there), jellyfish, egg puffs, tea eggs

Northern chinese - hot and sour soup, xiao long bao/soup dumplings, pig ear, new year cake, dan dan noodles, fried semi-sweet buns with noodly insides (silver thread rolls?), Peking duck

General - really sweet, strong milk tea with evaporated milk. Hong Kong and Malaysian restaurants have the best I've had so far. Salt and pepper squid - who invented that stuff? Curry puffs.
    Pretty much everything here! Our taste buds are very similar! Do you like Rendang for Malaysian food? I like that and Chicken Rice.

I just went to have cantonese today and had this beef brisket with tendon still attached with dried bean curd casserole that's the bomb today., and we were talking about how we can't find MSG in the stores anymore. Just say yes to MSG. rwar.

I like a lot of Schezuan cusine like ma po tofu and twice cooked pork, other stuff like minced pork with pickled mustard(smokey and sour) and some stuff with different veggies that aren't too common here.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Why do you love food so much?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

...why don't you?

hkkmr - my bf bought a pound of MSG from an Asian grocery earlier this year... maybe look harder? I mean, Chinese restaurants have to get it from somewhere, right. It also came in a 3 pound bag
    This was at a Asian grocery!

A Korean Super-H. However, I use mostly Dashi, fish sauce and soy sauce for my MSG fix. Dashi makes a good MSG substitute and contains msg and is sprinklable as well as has a more complex smokey bonito flavor. Ignore the low ratings on the reviews due to MSG hate!

Another Japanese and Korean food - Japanese / Korean style fried chicken marinated in ginger and coated with corn/potato starch.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    ...why don't you?
    You're on your way towards being typed SEI, CONGRATS!

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanna do a tour of Asia so badly, one day. i love the flavour combos which I think r far superior.. Thai food for example, it's like the perfect balance between savoury, sweet, tangy. I prefer the ones including ginger/ coconut and spices. I've never tasted Korean food but sweets, rice balls filled with bean paste are surprisingly nice, my mums workmate used to bring them in all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Different +/- attitudes. (expanding/ reducing aspects.)

Beta & Alpha values (+)Si, health pursuing or indulgent.
    Deltas & Gammas value (-)Si, ascetic, and disease avoidant.

I may be wrong but IEI's are sometimes epicurious/indulgent ~or~ orthorexic (health food obsessed)...due to (+). Our kindred ILI on the other hand r more inclined to be somewhat health anxious manifesting as hypochondriacism, cleanliness obsessed, picky eating: due to valued (-).

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am gluten-intolerant, and Thai food places are one of my safe havens when I go out to eat. Massaman or red curry are great!

I also love sushi with spicy salmon or tuna and avocado.