Thread: wormhole question

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default wormhole question

Lets say we have created a wormhole machine like you see in the game portal. The machine has an entry and exit point. When you enter the machine, yourself and all matter you consist of is unraveled in a perfectly organized fashion, transferred to the exit portal machine and reconstructed in an exact material replica of what entered.

To an observer, this unraveling / rematerialization process takes time; but to the self, there is no perception of time- the self is unraveled. What does the self experience while falling through this wormhole, being deconstructed and then reconstructed? Is it a transcendental experience? Does the self lose anything in the process? Is it possible there a soul left behind, or that the reconstructed entity is a shadow self?

I think this experience is something very similar to dying and then being brought back to life.
    Last edited by rat1; 12-01-2011 at 11:35 AM.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's highly questionable if you can transport a living being like that. Maybe your dead body arrives at the exit point because you died in the moment your body was deconstructed and your "soul" lost it's container. I think it's theoretically possible to "beam" material, even though it needs huge amounts of energy. If it indeed works as it should, I suppose you're in a dream-like state until the materilization happens. You don't have a perception of time in a dream, just like in this case maybe. But actually, I believe this would kill the person or the animal using it. However, cryogenic conservation of your body might also be possible while a "slower" freezing killed would kill anything.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think the transition would be dream like. The soul may left behind, or it may just be the experience of the transition. What comes out the exit node interests me, too. If the transition between nodes is a transcendental experience for the soul then the person may be changed by that.
    Last edited by rat1; 12-01-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one might experience their entire body being condensed to a single point, although death would occur much earlier than that (maybe one would die before they even enter the wormhole due to the intense gravitational pull)... I imagine it would be painful and short. To a distant observer it might appear that the person takes an eternity to fall into the "wormhole." Perhaps some radiation would get through out the other side as the wormhole hiccups from its last meal, and who knows some of the original person's atoms might emerge with the "gas." Anyway I don't really think one can pass through a wormhole at this point and live to tell of it. After all it's just a black hole on either side. Unless something new has been been theorized about wormholes that I don't know about, which is highly possible, and generally true.

I could answer the question if the "wormhole" is something more like a transporter beam in Star Trek. I was skeptical that one would actually survive the transport. I think your experiences and consciousnesses might end as soon as you're "disintegrated" into particles. Yes a person materializes on the other side, with your memories and every appearance of being you (inside and out)... but this person was just born. S/he goes on thinking that he/she is you and isn't any the wiser, nor is anyone else, but you died. Of course similarly as cells are constantly replaced you're dying all the time. Maybe I only think I'm "me" all the time because I have the benefit of what came before, but those other "mes" are gone and if they saw me now they might say "that is not me." Anyway I think discojoe began the transporter topic some time ago, but in that topic I said it was assumed that one can turn into pure energy and back to matter seamlessly, and so no "deaths" were occurring.

I guess that of course would better answer the question. But again I am skeptical. Without brain cells (or other cells) to perceive, one simply would have no awareness during the point where they are nothing but energy (although Star Trek might say otherwise as there have been several characters in the shows who have transcended into being pure conscious energy and there have been other energy beings, some good and/or transcendental; others lost and/or bad). But I must be skeptical of such things in real life, because I err on that side of things usually, I think, or at least I do today. However in the moments where one is disintegrating or integrating, which would be very brief moments, I guess I think it would depend on the person. It could be perceived as watching oneself disintegrate which would be like dying and one could perceive this negatively and with fear, even if they don't really recall it afterwards (perhaps this is what happens to a character like Dr. McCoy who seems to have a deep aversion to using the transporter). It could also be perceived as becoming a light being and then becoming corporeal again, something to be regarded with great interest or even awe. Or there's the more spiritual way of looking at it--dying and being reborn... morbidly exposing oneself to death and rebirth in one life just for the experience (an opportunity one wouldn't otherwise have). I kind of think that one might be spared any suffering though because it's one thing to fear losing oneself, but as one actually is losing oneself they are at the same time losing their ability to perceive the loss of self and so you'd just be dying or disappearing to a place of nothing or peace, and then later you would reappear. Afterwards you just wouldn't even remember and would think you were one place, and then in an instant, another place. So I guess I agree with the dying and coming back to life and it being "dream like."

I don't know if living things have souls.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens if I put my dick through the first wormhole and shoot the other wormhole on a vagina; will I feel any pleasure?

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you'd probably need some protective shielding so your dick didnt get dissolved but that would be a good invention for people fucking through their computer screens

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would probably feel very light
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

so one side of this wormhole will get populated by soulless zombies while the other one will be swarming in disembodied ghosts. neat.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be a disembodied ghost for sure
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    so one side of this wormhole will get populated by soulless zombies while the other one will be swarming in disembodied ghosts. neat.
    it would make an awesome FPS. You could jump through portals and lose your 'soul' or whatever.. the soul would stick around there and kill people. You'd get soul energy for everyone you kill. Also the soul would keep your weapons but you would pop out the other end with only a laser sword or maybe claws, or a weapon would be on the ground nearby. the portals would have to be a one way entry / exit. Also the souls strength would depend on how many people you'd killed and the weapons you had. Also killing souls could power a soul gem that stores currency you use to upgrade your weapons and crap and buy armor. But the soul would also give you kills if it was your soul. Also you could maybe return to your souls body and by doing that gain greater strength. You could have it so you keep building up this haunted character who eventually becomes almost ethereal and owns all the other players. The players would be forced to ally against you to try to take you down and shit.