Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think he is EII and althrough he was a good man personally, his picking Commodus as his successor broke up a long chain of Emperors picking adopted sons and groomed successors(which Marcus Aurelius was) rather then hereditary successors.

I think Hadrian was a better philosopher king and picked both his successor and Marcus as the eventual successor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoninus_Pius

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...I really like this dude. I'll have to get something on Antoninus Pius then, but I didn't intend for Marcus to be the only philosopher king, just that he was definitely one. From Wikipedia Antoninus Pius sounds like he was good with Ne, so I could understand why you might like him...perhaps.

Supposedly he was a sad man or something, despite his philosophy (philosophies). I think that's kind of denigrating to him though. That idea seems to impugn him just because he didn't come off as happy or didn't want to have many friends. He had this integrity and stoic appreciation for the world that he didn't have to have, but thought it best for everyone, including himself, that he did. I can honestly say he's the only person I've ever read about that I could classify as a true role model. I've been alive for 27 years and neither in fiction have I come to think of anyone as a true realistic role model.