Thread: Career preferences based on Enneagram types

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Career preferences based on Enneagram types

This website lists some recommendations and considerations for each enneagram type regarding career choices based purely on enneagram number:

http://thegreatofficeescape.com/care...neagram-types/

However, much like how enneagram stackings have been hypothesized or claimed to have a greater effect on relationship compatibility outcomes than do enneagram numbers, I wondered if perhaps the same could be said for career choice.

For those of you who know of your stacking (or of other people you know), what career choices have best suited you (or others) given your stacking? What do you feel you need most in a career in order to feel fulfilled?

I hope we can compile a list of observations at the very least as to what each stacking looks for/desires/needs from a career as far as work environment/job responsibilities/etc., how each stacking might measure career success, and so on.

Maybe this is obvious, but I was interested in it anyways.

For example, I know someone who is a 3 but is also (I believe) an sp/so/sx (they might be an so/sp but the sx is definitely last), and they are truly remarkable at sales. Perhaps it is more the 3's role? I guess I'm just curious to see what everyone else thinks about this.

Social First:

so/sp/sx

so/sx/sp

--------
    Self-Preservation First:

sp/so/sx

sp/sx/so

--------
    Sexual First:

sx/sp/so

sx/so/sp
    Last edited by Clumsy; 02-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh:

Type 7 – One place you will not find a happy seven is in an office on a beautiful summer day. In fact, you might not find a happy seven in an office on a nasty, stormy day either. They are more likely to be out there chasing the storm, taking pictures of it. But only for a week or two when they will happily go by the title “storm-chaser.” Sevens change direction, focus, and career so often that it’s difficult to even write this section for them. Unlike the other types, a “career” for a seven is often just a passing fancy that will change from one moment to the next, like the weather.
    sounds stupid to me. Isn't the enneagram all about trying to work towards your "direction of integration"? Then why does the career refer to a disintegrated type=

Anyway, stacking: I have been typed as sp/sx even though I personally feel like I relate more to the sx 7 description. It would be important for me to have a job where I can apply a good amount of creativity to logical systems, where I have a relatively large amount of freedom (doesn't mean I wan to work short hours - just that for example I can say work from home one day if I decide to, or don't have to hand in daily reports to my boss), and whose pay allows me to take care of my hobbies. Ideally, I would like a type of work where I can reach groundbreaking discoveries thanks to creativity and lateral thinking.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Career choice should be more related to interest than enneagram, although that affects the kind of work you get into. For example, as a Five, I would never go into astronomy because such a topic seems rather boring. That being said, I think a Five would be more suited towards something like astronomy than a stay-at-home parent, but surely if you were interested in a certain line of work, then that would do well.

Also, my first thought was "Doctor sounds like a 'Three' job."

Not too sure how much I agree with these job descriptions, while it is easy to imagine each type doing those jobs assigned to them, I still think that it's more than possible for types to enjoy having another job.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God all of those 6 jobs are painfully boring. Why the hell would anybody want to be an insurance underwriter?
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine fit compared to the others. Not all of them, but the general feel. I'd say 4 > 5 >> 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Fuck yeah, it has President of the World listed under mine as suggested career.
    Haha. Ashton 4 prez.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggested Careers for Fives: Science and technology are areas where Fives will thrive.

Architectural Drafter/Engineer
    Environmental Planner
    Oh Yeah!
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer