Thread: Carbs, b! are you crazy? Recipe suggestion thread

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carbs, b! are you crazy? Recipe suggestion thread..

This thread is for users who are going low carb for whatever reason, health, diabetes, bodybuilding... So starch & sugar banned in here but recipes with low fat protein sources + low GI fruit, veg are permitted. Please add vegetarian alternatives if you want.

i'll start.

recipe 1: Beef & broccoli.
    steam 4-5 florets of broccoli
    pre heat a non stick pan.
    4-7 oz of flank steak sharp knife slice a eigth of an inch thin at an angle, trim off fat.
    spray about a tablespoon of canola oil (take off the heat while doing this or the pan catches fire.)
    add beef, flip at 10 minutes..ready in another 10 to 15.
    plate with a little bbq sauce on the beef & some soy sauce on the broccoli.

recipe 2: Big sandwich
    take 2 peices of bread
    spread a thin layer of mayo
    shread some carrot
    add 3 chopped olives (optional)
    add 2 tbsp of tuna or chicken
    add a few shoestring or regular potato chips
    add shreaded lettuce & the other peice of bread.. prefer light bread.

recipe 1: Scrambled eggs
    pre heat a non stick pan.
    spray about a tablespoon of canola oil (take off the heat while doing this or the pan catches fire.)
    add in a handfull diced green bell pepper & onion.
    Shread up a thin slice of turkey.
    3 egg whites (normal), 1 whole egg (organic) - beat with fork and leave in bowl with turkey shreads.
    add eggs to pan, mix for 2 minutes.

recipe 4: Stuffed bell pepper
    Cut a bell pepper in half & de-seed em.
    Fry some garlic, onion, and a handful of fresh herbs like parsley. Add a spoon of tomato extract, a drop of hot sauce & 3-4 oz of mince meat to the pan, brown lightly.
    fill bell peppers & put in the oven until soft.
    (you can use eggplant, zuccini, or tomatoes to replace the bell pepper.)

Super quick..

Take the core out of an apple (leave it's bottom) add a spoon of peanut butter.. in the oven for 16 minutes. done
    Get 3 big lettuce leaves & put 2 tbsp of tuna & sweetcorn or cottage cheese in the middle.. wrap it up ina parcel. done
    Put half a cup of berries in a blender, add 200 ml water, 3 spoons of non fat natural yogurt, a spoon of flaxmeal, a spoon of hydrolized collagen. Blend for 30 seconds. done

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hated that diet so much. I'd order like 10 double cheeseburger without the bun from mcdonalds. Still lost a lot of weight but what's the point if you're miserable...I honestly couldn't come up with any creative recipes for low carb...just slabs of meat.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I hated that diet so much. I'd order like 10 double cheeseburger without the bun from mcdonalds. Still lost a lot of weight but what's the point if you're miserable...I honestly couldn't come up with any creative recipes for low carb...just slabs of meat.
    I know what you mean i include a high carb in 1 or 2 meals, and a treat every now & then otherwise I would feel deprived.. was the diet atkins?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's good you're not as restrictive as I was, that's no kind of life lol. Yeah I started on atkins but modified it so much to where I was getting really only maybe 5 grams of carbs a day...I did it fo over 2 years cheating less than a handful of times. Looked awesome physically and was in perfect health but it was so unsatisfying. Sorry I can't contribute anything worthwhile to your thread hah :/

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I eat very little sugar and refined grains, and rarely feel deprived. But it does involve a large amount of cooking on my part.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
    This is a good site with low carb recipes. I especially like using cauliflower to replace rice and potatoes, like http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mexican_rice.html and http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/just_li..._potatoes.html (but you don't need nearly as much cheese).

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ..._fb_revshr_001
    These are good tortillas for making quick wraps.

Taco salad is one of the easiest low carb meals to make. Just lettuce, spiced ground beef, and your choice of ingredients--tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, etc.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    bookmarked, great ideas with pics. the almond vanilla protein bars sound superb~.

VANILLA ALMOND PROTEIN BAR
    1/3 cup Body Fortress whey protein powder, 1 scoop vanilla flavor
    1/2 ounce almonds, finely ground
    2 teaspoons coconut flour
    2 teaspoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
    3 teaspoons water

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Add the granular Splenda, if using. In another small bowl, mix the liquid Splenda, if using, with 2 teaspoons of the water. Add 2 teaspoons of the water to the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until it is as well mixed as possible. Add up to 1 more teaspoon of water if necessary and work this in with your hands. Don't be tempted to add more water no matter how dry it seems. The more water you add, the sticker the bar will be and the worse it will stick to your teeth. The dough will eventually come together when you firmly knead it by squeezing it into a ball in your hand. The consistency will be very stiff like modelling clay. Shape into a bar. This will keep pretty well at room temperature but I would keep it out of extreme heat.

Makes 1 serving

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you eat enough fat?
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I also hate feeling stuffed.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Last time I was lovesick/ depressed, i couldn't eat for 3 weeks, i could just mangage to down 3 bites of either a cream cracker or instant noodles. I'm a lot better now. Set foot in the gym for the 1st time yesterday going high protein for health reasons too.. want to gain mass..especially on my barely existant butt . Hoping my skin will improve too. Im scared I won't find clothes that fit if I drop weight.

**recipe 5: Spinach stuffed mushrooms**
    chop a packet of spinach in ribbons
    place the spinach in a bowl, cover, and cook in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.
    remove the 12 mushroom stems, chop the stems, saute them with a teasp olive oil. add to the spinach.
    take 12 mushroom caps & saute in olive oil for 3 minutes.
    plate & stuff caps, add salt and pepper
    sprinkle low fat cheese

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    I'm jealous of you skinny-ass bitches. I usually can't stop stuffing my face...

I've been trying to protein load with snacks after exercising - usually I eat edamame beans, sushi, canned flavoured tuna and eggs (mmm eggs!). It works quite well for me but I put on muscle incredibly easily (fat, too).

Also maybe look into creatine supplements? A lot of bodybuilders use it, and while I know you're not trying to look like them, maybe your body type needs that sort of treatment to get to "normal". You lucky freaks, you.

Wait are you japanese? What with edamame, sushi, and all that takopachi on your profile page
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It usually takes about 3 weeks for the body to adapt to low carb diet. During that period you will feel a little tired. Then all of a sudden, boom, things change. I was on the paleo diet for about 3 months. I lost some weight (even though I didn't want to) and my blood sugar became very stable. The feeling of being hungry in the stomach, (not in the head) was a new experience. Also, not experiencing blood sugar rush after a meal was something new, and realizing I don't need it. I didn't eat any bread, rice, pasta, potatoes during that period. Lots of fruit, berries and non-starchy root vegetables, fish, meat, nuts. Big amounts of food. I must have gotten more vitamins than ever before during these 3 months. Unfortunately it was kindof expensive. But I think this is the way we should eat. The body is fully capable of keeping the blood sugar stable during the day, even without regular meals, provided it gets the right kind of food.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    It usually takes about 3 weeks for the body to adapt to low carb diet. During that period you will feel a little tired. Then all of a sudden, boom, things change. I was on the paleo diet for about 3 months. I lost some weight (even though I didn't want to) and my blood sugar became very stable. The feeling of being hungry in the stomach, (not in the head) was a new experience. Also, not experiencing blood sugar rush after a meal was something new, and realizing I don't need it. I didn't eat any bread, rice, pasta, potatoes during that period. Lots of fruit, berries and non-starchy root vegetables, fish, meat, nuts. Big amounts of food. I must have gotten more vitamins than ever before during these 3 months. Unfortunately it was kindof expensive. But I think this is the way we should eat. The body is fully capable of keeping the blood sugar stable during the day, even without regular meals, provided it gets the right kind of food.
    Thats what I'm experiencing. Even feeling full I still feel kind of emptiness because I'm not getting a blood sugar spike. It's nice though, before I often felt sick and stuffed after a greasy carb meal. I used to replace a lot of solid food with chocolate and coffee throughout the day. I just need to hold out & not give in to cravings for sugar. I put together a food pyramid thats similar to the paleo diet exept it allows non fat milk, and everything else in small amounts, towards the top.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHAHAHA.

I feel evil

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also maybe look into creatine supplements?
    Some people are allergic to it, besides it depends on what you want to achieve, not just throw your money away. Carnitine instead of Creatine for start, I think.

I've been trying to protein load with snacks after exercising
    You eat 2 hours before exercise and you do not drink anything prior and during, only after.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh my mum used to make that, yours sounds better though. nice one

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet potatoes! They're high in carbs but also fiber, which you get to subtract from the total carb count (or so I've heard). I think that's one of the best high-nutrition foods you can eat.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Sweet potatoes! They're high in carbs but also fiber, which you get to subtract from the total carb count (or so I've heard). I think that's one of the best high-nutrition foods you can eat.
    Yayy!

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Unfortunately it was kindof expensive.
    this has been mY problem. i love fruits and veggies but i can't buy much fresh produce due to being broke all the time.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Why low carb? Balanced meals are the way to go. Our body breaks meals down to carbs and protein; it needs both. Just eat complex carbs and not simple sugars like table sugar; things like grains, whole wheat grain pasta; watch your calorie intake and try to eat less. Eat a lot of collard greens because it has inulin that the good bacteria in your guts feed on and make you healthy.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copied/ pasted from a website: I did kebabs for a house party, everyone loves them.

6 servings of 2 kebabs each.

Ingredients:

•32 oz. beef, cut up into chunks. Normally I use sirloin steak and cut it myself - this time I used "stew meat" Worked great, less work, and cheaper!
    •2-3 zucchini squash, cut into thick rounds
    •2-3 yellow squash, cut into thick rounds
    •1 (12 oz) package of cherry tomatoes
    •1 (16 oz) package of button mushrooms
    •1 medium onion, cut into chunks
    •1 bell pepper, cut into squares

Marinade

•1 1/3 cups of Bragg's Liquid Aminos (may sub Soy Sauce)
    •2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    •1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
    •2-3 Tablespoons of minced garlic from a jar
    •2 Tablespoon of Lemon Pepper
    •1 Tablespoon of Crushed Red Pepper
    •1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper

Put meat and cut veggies in a very large bowl. Add all of the marinade ingredients and toss well. cook with charcoal or wood, just grill on hot coals.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Why low carb? Balanced meals are the way to go. Our body breaks meals down to carbs and protein; it needs both. Just eat complex carbs and not simple sugars like table sugar; things like grains, whole wheat grain pasta; watch your calorie intake and try to eat less. Eat a lot of collard greens because it has inulin that the good bacteria in your guts feed on and make you healthy.
    Carbohydrate is broken down into sugar by your body. Proteins are broken down into amino acids, various studies have proven that protein is the macro-nutrient that increases satiety, protein helps to stop over-eating. Calorie restriction diets cause yo-yo weight fluctuation, not worth it if you ask me. If you eat a lot of carbs.. you'll raise your blood sugar & store fat. I do realise the importance of high GI fruit & veg + wholegrains. thats why I said low carb instead of no carb.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those look amazing. I think I'm going to try those tonight but without the stick and without the grill...sort of a stir fry.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Eating all of that red meat isn't good for you. We were adapted to eat seasonally, accordingly to what the land provided in season and when we didn't have enough to eat we could then eat meat, but our staple diet isn't 75%meat and veggies, it's more veggies.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ate red meat every single day for 2 years and had every blood/chloresterol/blood pressure test known to mankind and I'm as healthy as you can get.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Broccoli-with-Garlic-and-Red-Pepper-351031

• 1 1/4 pounds broccoli crowns, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
    • 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • Large pinch of dried crushed red pepper

Preheat oven to 450ฐF. Toss broccoli and 3 tablespoons oil in large bowl to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes. Stir remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil, garlic, and red pepper in small bowl. Drizzle garlic mixture over broccoli; toss to coat. Roast until broccoli is beginning to brown, about 8 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

H, you do all this food talking, how often do you cook?
    -