Thread: Fluoride's Health Effects

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Fluoride's Health Effects

There are some theories out there that the government puts fluoride in our toothpaste and water supply to pacify the population and dumb us down to keep us better controlled and less aware of their crimes. Personally I think that's debatable, however I think the harm fluoride causes us health wise is not and is worth looking into. I'm curious to see where most of the forum members stand on this issue.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/

http://fluoridedangers.blogspot.com/...oridation.html

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That second video is a joke, btw.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TEH TAP WATER IS NOT SAEF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol ^

Okay, fluoride is harmful to the human body. It's simply and irrefutably poison (with conditions), the chemical's specs are available online. It's no secret. But there are numerous studies supporting its beneficial hygienic effects, and it comes in different amounts/harm that doesn't scale linearly (just like all things).

A word of advice, however. I switch off fluoride 6 months ago, teeth are clean, come back to dentist yesterday, have a cavity. Don't switch unless you're damn sure about everything hygiene wise. However, I haven't gotten fluoride treatments from the dentist in a while now, that's just too much exposure. To remove it from drinking is to expend a great deal of money distilling or filtering. I like to set up solar distillers in my front/back yard to get clean water, but that's in part because the municipal water here is very questionable.

I stand at not caring that it's in the toothpaste because it probably does have some beneficial hygienic effects, and there exist alternatives for the wily consumer - but there is no excuse for distributing something that is poisonous in some ways (although arguably beneficial in others) into the public's drinking water. That's positively ridiculous and absurd and makes me wonder what-the-fuck-else is in there.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4058
    http://hw.libsyn.com/p/9/4/0/9400734...&l_mid=1406398

As has been mentioned, the only health effect fluoride fear-mongering has caused is an increase in cavities. There are Zero victims of death by fluoride.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4058
    http://hw.libsyn.com/p/9/4/0/9400734...&l_mid=1406398

As has been mentioned, the only health effect fluoride fear-mongering has caused is an increase in cavities. There are Zero victims of death by fluoride.
    Doesn't mean it's safe to dump into the water supply. Ingestion is still not good for you. Again - the chem's specs are publicly available, this cannot be denied. It's just that there's a fuckton of other shit that is poisonous to our bodies that is found in common grocery goods and blablabla, it's just not really a big deal comparatively and shouldn't get any more attention then those products that are ignored. My problem with fluoride in the water is because I can choose not to buy those products, but what the hell can I do now, in the public water supply lol

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can choose to filter your water with a cheap water filter jug from your local walmart or w/e if it matters that much to you.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    By normal (toothpaste, water in developed countries, medicines reasonably used) exposure to fluoride, you mean. It is poisonous in high doses, and it seems people have died from it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(faucet) fluoride
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlast View Post
    Doesn't mean it's safe to dump into the water supply. Ingestion is still not good for you. Again - the chem's specs are publicly available, this cannot be denied. It's just that there's a fuckton of other shit that is poisonous to our bodies that is found in common grocery goods and blablabla, it's just not really a big deal comparatively and shouldn't get any more attention then those products that are ignored. My problem with fluoride in the water is because I can choose not to buy those products, but what the hell can I do now, in the public water supply lol
    did you even read what he linked? i doubt it, for if you had, you'd have known the level is *adjusted*, not just "dumped". iow, in some cases it's defluoridation, because too much is, well, bad.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is such an old issue.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks BG. So many things feel like déjà vu or time travel these days.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fluoride sux. i'll write more when i have time. this is just my way of subscribing to the thread so that i can remember it later. la la la.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    did you even read what he linked? i doubt it, for if you had, you'd have known the level is *adjusted*, not just "dumped". iow, in some cases it's defluoridation, because too much is, well, bad.
    I'm sorry for using the word dumped - I can see how that would be misleading. Yeah, I've read it, but the heart of my objection isn't that there isn't sufficient scientific evidence, or that there is contrary evidence, or it's not being closely watched or anything like that - I'm sure there are very experienced and educated people overseeing its use, and I've seen plenty of studies indicating its beneficial effects on our teeth only in small amounts. It's just that those good facts don't change the negative fact that it is indisputably harmful to ingest and that it is being forced upon us. Old issue or not.

Many present don't seem to care about the potential physiological effects of fluoride, so put yourselves in my shoes if only to raise your tolerance; consider a situation in which the government mandates that harmful preservatives be put into all food products sold in the US 'for the good of the nation'. Sure, it increases the health of teeth longevity of our food supply, but comes at the cost of a forced health concern for our bodies - and the government offers no alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    You can choose to filter your water with a cheap water filter jug from your local walmart or w/e if it matters that much to you.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what research I've done, I've gathered that this doesn't work and it requires the use of expensive filtration systems that must be regularly replaced.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I stand at not caring that it's in the toothpaste because it probably does have some beneficial hygienic effects, and there exist alternatives for the wily consumer - but there is no excuse for distributing something that is poisonous in some ways (although arguably beneficial in others) into the public's drinking water. That's positively ridiculous and absurd and makes me wonder what-the-fuck-else is in there.
    That's my main gist with this fluoride issue is that we do not have the choice to cease ingesting it because it is in our water supply. I could care less if its in our toothpaste because we could always use non-fluoridated toothpaste, baking soda or other alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what research I've done, I've gathered that this doesn't work and it requires the use of expensive filtration systems that must be regularly replaced.
    No you're correct, the vast majority of water filters are simply not good enough to filter out fluoride. You'd need a very expensive water filtration system that could cost you an exorbitant amount of money, which wouldn't be worth it for most people. Even built in water filtration systems will not be enough to remove the fluoride.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Fluoride is the least of our worries; we should be more concerned about surfactants in our water supply.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html