Thread: Sarah Kay - SEE girl talks about poetry

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sarah Kay - SEE girl talks about poetry

Humor me. Watch the video. I think you'll be glad you did.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/sa..._daughter.html

And if you think she's not SEE then you're dumb.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yup, willpower and overcoming difficult situations and talking about it. Very little rosy colored Ne (idealism or possibility of something that could exist that isn't realistic) in there.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm jealous, she speaks so fast, so fluidly, so extravertingly.

quite a bit of Fi, the injustice of things...feeling reactions based on judgement of things.

Glimpse of Ni, using the experiences of the past to understand the coming things.

Nice amount of Ne there, in covering what many people will think of the poems.

Fe demonstrative about the Anderson deal there.

Back to Se in "conquer" your fears kind of way. Strong will.

Back to Ne in finding the best way to do something, exploring options.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    boring
    You're boring

Creepy-pokeball

If I have to hear Colbie Cailet (ESFp 7w6) on the radio one more time, Im going to ice pick my ears out. Its the same shit over and over. At least Michael Buble (ESFp 2w3) changes the themes and tone, even if its all still radio pop + really oddly hyper creative Fi.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck you. I love Colbie Caillat. And chances are she's Ne not Se base.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

charming

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She seems nice, but a little forward in a way that makes me just roll my eyes.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

o she's nervous and exited remember you dipshit? Be more charitable next time.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw, she's sweet. But she does seem a little too into her own work/art as being SO amazing... meh. I started out liking it, but it seems affected.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Creepy-female

I've never heard of Spoken Word poetry, but I kind of want to major in it now. She seems passionate, but also a bit saccharine. People who excessively make light of their childhood as something extremely foreign to them alarm me because its as if they somehow decide that being a grownup involves emotional repression. If I was in pain I'd prefer someone to be empathetic to me before they pulled out a "rainboots" quip. Worldviews that involve excessive moral implication without communicating the emotion involved in *deciding* to relegate one's world view to an either/or-positive/negative dichotomy (which I tend to believe is born out of avoidance of pain/slim coping options/isolation) strike me as somewhat lacking in dimension. In this case I would quote my old English teacher and say, show, not tell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Don't wear the cape yourself/try to catch all the pain in the world...I know I've tried"

Lol she writes poetry, I don't how great an effort she could have made at humanitarian work (jk jk). Her opening about how life is hostile to you is also a little disconcerting lol. Sounds like life is a serious asshole, but I don't think he has to be if you schmooze with him a little here and there . Despite my conflict with what I immediately picked up on, it was pretty engaging. Poetry, however, is salve and fuel for the soul, and based on her following commentary I don't think she's doing a bad job of it .

After seeing it I am tempted to say EP, but am holding back because it's clear she has been excited to the point of extreme nervousness and is somewhat high strung, which can represent EPs in certain states, but since this isn't a natural state for her to be in I think it's not just to judge based on temperament. Also, her performance is rehearsed (evidence to that effect can be seen in the video's execution), so you'll have a hard time arguing based off her mannerisms. Perhaps if someone were willing to put forward an argument regarding how stressed states affect a certain type and how that stressed state is directly translatable to the state we observe in her, we could arrive at a solution to her type.

EDIT; Ah, Timmy, seeing your OP again I see you are quite settled on her being SEE. After trying and failing myself at finding her type, perhaps you could enlighten me on what makes her so?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Why is she using cliches like 'my mama says their will be days like this.' That's the only thing I don't like. Why can't you be original but still have substance at the same time?

I like the story about Anderson Cooper and it's getting much better in the 2nd half. I like what she said about not being cool, because that protects you from the good as much as it protects you from the bad.

And her last poem at the end was 5 times better than her first one.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never heard of Spoken Word poetry, but I kind of want to major in it now. She seems passionate, but also a bit saccharine. People who excessively make light of their childhood as something extremely foreign to them alarm me because its as if they somehow decide that being a grownup involves emotional repression. If I was in pain I'd prefer someone to be empathetic to me before they pulled out a "rainboots" quip. Worldviews that involve excessive moral implication without communicating the emotion involved in *deciding* to relegate one's world view to an either/or-positive/negative dichotomy (which I tend to believe is born out of avoidance of pain/slim coping options/isolation) strike me as somewhat lacking in dimension. In this case I would quote my old English teacher and say, show, not tell.
    I love that. Show me your first Spoken Poetry vid when you get it done
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Another SEE speaker from TED: