Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predicting the future or just seeing the big picture?

TIM
    INTJ - intuitive sub
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Predicting the future or just seeing the big picture?

I'm not a prophet or psychic but I seem to have an uncanny ability to predict the general outcome of major events. It's not a psychic ability where I simply go by feel. In fact I can back up my predictions with a multitude of facts and noticing the general direction an event is heading toward. Even moreso I can instantly see the motivation and intentions of others in such a way that I can usually tell what their next move is going to be. I'm often not surprised by anything anymore. Once I have figured out a person's nature then their behaviour becomes a pattern that loops over and over.

Basically people are predictable to me in terms of relationships whether that be international relationships or romantic relationships or co-worker relationships. After spending time with someone I quickly grasp their limitations. Their general feelings may change but their objective behaviour becomes painfully obvious to me.

I do not mean to say I can tell everything that happens but moreso I can sense any major change or lack thereof. I suppose that would be a prediction in the sense that I can see how the beginning of something will or will not alter the end.

any thoughts??

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds a bit like social schemas and predicitive attribution.

You're probably good at seeing in this way due to your Ti/Ne.
    Good with schematic thinking and insight.
    IEE-Ne

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    I'm not a prophet or psychic but I seem to have an uncanny ability to predict the general outcome of major events. It's not a psychic ability where I simply go by feel. In fact I can back up my predictions with a multitude of facts and noticing the general direction an event is heading toward. Even moreso I can instantly see the motivation and intentions of others in such a way that I can usually tell what their next move is going to be. I'm often not surprised by anything anymore. Once I have figured out a person's nature then their behaviour becomes a pattern that loops over and over.

Basically people are predictable to me in terms of relationships whether that be international relationships or romantic relationships or co-worker relationships. After spending time with someone I quickly grasp their limitations. Their general feelings may change but their objective behaviour becomes painfully obvious to me.

I do not mean to say I can tell everything that happens but moreso I can sense any major change or lack thereof. I suppose that would be a prediction in the sense that I can see how the beginning of something will or will not alter the end.

any thoughts??
    you should start investing on the stock market.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIIs have Ni demonstrative function, which is four-dimensional, as strong as it can be, just as strong as the base function. It isn't a 'valued' function, so you're not putting it in the 'foreground.' It's a subconscious function in the background. They say that your demonstrative function really actually matters a lot to your life and that it's helpful to train it or feed it somehow. It will get stronger over time as you get older and learn from experience.

I know that I myself spent a while collecting logically coherent belief systems and remembering which authors believed what, in my areas of interest, and I suspect that is because of demonstrative Ti in the SLI.

Ni is associated with foresight, awareness of trends and how processes turn out over time, the birth and death of processes, the pathways that things take.

Everything that you described probably applies to the EII as well, since they too have Ni demonstrative.

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...rted_intuition

" as a demonstrative (8th) function (LII and EII)

The individual is quite adept at following discussions on the developments of present trends into the future and at contributing to them on occasion if he feels so inclined, but he does not take that as seriously compared to investigating possibilities in the areas he is interested in at present. He usually dismisses supernatural claims as being silly, wishful thinking, unless they happen to be related to the very specific religion he feels inclined to believe in and which he may be inclined to make part of his leisure activities."

That description could use a lot more detail.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chip, you're most likely EIE or IEI.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    chip, you're most likely EIE or IEI.
    I was thinking "Ne Ego" when I read the OP, actually. Being "often not surprised" seems to me a bi-product of being inclined to look at a situation or person from many different angles all at once and seeing every possibility that might come out of a certain action or event.

Even moreso I can instantly see the motivation and intentions of others in such a way that I can usually tell what their next move is going to be. I'm often not surprised by anything anymore. Once I have figured out a person's nature then their behaviour becomes a pattern that loops over and over.
    Seems possibly more EII than LII, being people-oriented.

But, all Intuitors are going to be capable of both Ne and Ni, so it's difficult to know for sure.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

piano, Ni predicts outcomes, Ne see a relation of something to another, as well as essences. Ni is time as a stream, Ne is time in snap shots. Ni hence is responsible for predicting things, to put it in layman's terms.

No socionics nazi please don't get me for my lax definition.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

piano, Ni predicts outcomes, Ne see a relation of something to another, as well as essences. Ni is time as a stream, Ne is time in snap shots. Ni hence is responsible for predicting things, to put it in layman's terms.

No socionics nazi please don't get me for my lax definition.
    Ni doesn't give you magical insight into the future; Ni isn't even cause-effect oriented as is Si. It doesn't deal with tangible processes and it doesn't exist in specific time-frames to be able to predict the outcome of specific, tangible events. In fact, Ni ego types would probably consider the world too fluid and unpredictable — despite occasionally seeing recurring patterns — to tie everything down to singular, deterministic outcomes.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^ says the socionics nazi.

I never said it is magical insight. Ni prediction is hard to communicate, unlike Si cause and effect, but because of its complexity it can see multiple outcomes. Using strong Fe or Te will help to generate accuracy when it comes to the right field of application.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But seeing patterns of events or behaviors is more Ne.

Ne-Egos are also capable of predicting things (with our Ni in the Id block), we just don't generally put as much stock in the future as we do in the present.

My Ni-Base husband is more often "blind-sided" than I am, particularly when it comes to people. But, I attribute that more to his weak F, where I am stronger.

Which is why I suggested the OP might be a Feeling type (which you also suggested, though you think he's Ni/Fe and I think he's Ne/Fi), rather than a Thinking type.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So chip, what are my motivations and limitations and all that? What am I about?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post

any thoughts??
    I really think you are an ILI. Possibly IEI. If you were an LII you would probably ignore the aspects you are talking about but it doesnt sound like you do. You described EXACTLY how i feel about people I know. I dont even bother to say certain things or ask certain questions because I know exactly the general response I will get and with some people I can almost predict word for word what they are going to say. ILIs are good at forming a model for a persons behavior when they have gotten to know them. Im not saying you couldnt be any other type because you maybe but what you are describing sounds just like dom Ni paired with Te.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    But seeing patterns of events or behaviors is more Ne.
    Actually you just described Ni. Ni isnt really about predictions as it is about patterns. Because we notice patterns, we can generally predict certain things that we pay attention too. Im not saying Ne cant also perceive patterns but it probably has more to do with the inherent nature of things than something like behavior or anything that can be applied to a time axis.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni is strong in LII's too. Just uncounscious, what that exactly means for how you experience it, is unknown to me.

I still think Chip is LII by what I've read from him elsewhere.

I'm also good at categorizing and analyzing, this doesn't make me an LII.

That's why typing by functions alone, is difficult.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok well if he is LII then he is LII. I havent seen any of his other posts, that I can recall, so my typing would obviously only be on one basis. It doesnt change the fact that he was describing Ni. My point was that the orientation of his attitude toward Ni seemed like that of the attitude toward a base function.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an
    ILIs are good at forming a model for a persons behavior when they have gotten to know them.
    Isn't forming a model for a persons behavion and getting to know them almost a tautology? And therefore rather useless when it comes to distinguishing between the types?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyst Trevor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an
    ILIs are good at forming a model for a persons behavior when they have gotten to know them.
    Isn't forming a model for a persons behavion and getting to know them almost a tautology? And therefore rather useless when it comes to distinguishing between the types?
    no.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an View Post
    no.
    how come?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no.
    how come?
    When I said "getting to know someone" I meant continued interaction over a long period of time... so after interacting with someone over a long period of time, I am able to predict what they will say or do in reaction to whatever statements or actions I make. I understand the pattern of their reactions so I am able to form a model. I could have an imaginary conversation with a person I know in real life and get their responses generally correct.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Arsal said.

Whether it is prediction or viewing the big picture, it isn't type related. Ni is NOT pattern-recognition nor prediction.

When I said "getting to know someone" I meant continued interaction over a long period of time... so after interacting with someone over a long period of time, I am able to predict what they will say or do in reaction to whatever statements or actions I make. I understand the pattern of their reactions so I am able to form a model. I could have an imaginary conversation with a person I know in real life and get their responses generally correct.
    Every person, after getting to know another for a time will be able to predict them as you have mentioned. It has no relation to Ni at all. So yes, it is a tautology.

I'm quite irritated by the lauding of Ni as the "special" function of prediction and pattern recognition and that being Ni PoLR supposedly places me in a position where I am incapable of doing something so simple as what has been commonly attributed to Ni.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, after rereading this, I think it *does* sound like you are an ILI instead of an LII, as Sumerian said. Just something to consider.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sigh. Ni is not the 'special function' of prediction. It is involved in prediction in tandem with other functions. Ni-PoLR doesn't mean you are bad in making predictions. Ni-Ego doesn't mean you are accurate in making predictions. But without Ni there is no concept of time. Once again, that doesn't mean that Ni-PoLR cannot read clocks, or that Ni-Ego are accurate to the second.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InkStrider View Post
    What Arsal said.

Whether it is prediction or viewing the big picture, it isn't type related. Ni is NOT pattern-recognition nor prediction.

Every person, after getting to know another for a time will be able to predict them as you have mentioned. It has no relation to Ni at all. So yes, it is a tautology.

I'm quite irritated by the lauding of Ni as the "special" function of prediction and pattern recognition and that being Ni PoLR supposedly places me in a position where I am incapable of doing something so simple as what has been commonly attributed to Ni.
    Ni and Ne actually end up receiving the same titles and special abilities, weird, because Si & Se do not get similar treatment, although Fi & Fe do, and Ti & Te to a lesser extent.

In Gulenko's terminology Ne receives the Latin title of Intueor and Ni receives the title of Tempus. Though one of my mental ideas of Ni is less about actual time, and more about hazy, event (re)construction. Which entails moving blocks of episodic data in a semi-linear, semi-stochastic manner, which would allow for dynamic mental modeling. From this, prediction is less about guessing from the unconscious, and more about the reasonable progression of events. Patterns are ominous, you have seen images and heard sounds before and if your current surroundings resemble the old environment, then you get the impression the same thing will happen again. How this relates to Introversion, I believe, is that although some data is external, most of the information required to engage in this processing comes from within and flows inward towards the intellect of the Self.

How Ne predicts and encompasses patterns, I am not sure, though as it relates to Extraversion, the process must be external and the Ne function in the Ne type should act merely as an antennae for Ne information. Perhaps the prediction is really just strong impulses of intangible information from the environment that points towards a general area of conclusion, and the patterns merely information that is received by the Ne antennae and is determined to be duplicate or of similar properties.

Ah, didn't intend to go off on a tangent, but I think it helped further my understanding.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    In Gulenko's terminology Ne receives the Latin title of Intueor and Ni receives the title of Tempus. Though one of my mental ideas of Ni is less about actual time, and more about hazy, event (re)construction. Which entails moving blocks of episodic data in a semi-linear, semi-stochastic manner, which would allow for dynamic mental modeling. From this, prediction is less about guessing from the unconscious, and more about the reasonable progression of events. Patterns are ominous, you have seen images and heard sounds before and if your current surroundings resemble the old environment, then you get the impression the same thing will happen again. How this relates to Introversion, I believe, is that although some data is external, most of the information required to engage in this processing comes from within and flows inward towards the intellect of the Self.
    Yes, Ne is the ability to interpret and perceive random patterns that occur external to the individual which is often termed as pattern recognition or "seeing the possibilities". However, since it is strictly perceiving it attaches no judgment or desire to come to a conclusion with the information. For Ne-leading types the information is further refined through Ti for ENTp and Fi for ENFp in which case a judgment or decision can be made with. Both Ne and Ni leading types are adept with this ability but it's only the Alphas and Deltas that can fully appreciate and value the process.

Ni leading found in INFp and INTp is, as I understand it, an ability with a "piercing foresight". Like for instance, lets say that one were to interpret random, disjointed information. Lets take an example of Ni in action:

1) Friends making ominious statements about someone in their life and a mutual friend.
    2) The timeframes seem to match up to the possible event in question
    3) The someone in their life begins to suddenly behave erratically or in a wildly different manner.
    4) The mutual friend then suddenly begins avoiding one of the two.
    5) The someone in their life then begins to make statements indicating of infidelity.
    6) A sudden shift in emotional atmosphere between all people involved occurs.

Taking these seemingly random bits of information the man would conclude that their girlfriend/significant other/etc are cheating on them with a mutual friend and that it's best to break off relations with both traitors. That's Ni in action from an Ne-valuing type (ENTp to be more specific)

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chip,
    Your post seems heavily focused on tracking things...events, people's moves, intentions, and interactions.
    This suggests to me that you are more of a dynamic type than a static type.
    Static types tend to focus more on what something is...rather than on predicting how something will go.

You said
    Even moreso I can instantly see the motivation and intentions of others in such a way that I can usually tell what their next move is going to be.
    This suggests to me Fe in the ego, which provides you with this kind of information. (be warned, your understandings are based on your own experiences, which may not match up with the actuallity of the situations)

Then you say you can 'back up your predictions with a multitutde of facts and noticing the general direction an event is heading toward.'
    Which suggests to me possibly easily using Te or Ti as a backup system when needed for communication purposes. So maybe Te Role or Ti HA? I would actually think it would be more Te role though. Ti HA is mostly for the person themselves, to help them understand what it is that they are seeing, rather than as a means of 'support' or 'back up'.

Regarding the question in the thread title, you seem more focused on predictions than you are on seeing the big picture.
    Focusing on "what is" is different than focusing on "what will be".
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of the claims of "we're pattern finders" this way...being quick to pick out patterns means that one is at higher risk of finding patterns in virtually anything, or making links between events that aren't actually connected. For example, seeing jesus' face on a burned piece of toast; or magical thinking wherein the pattern finder discovers that if he wears the same pair of socks for each game, then the team will win the game, but if the sock is in the washer instead, then the team will lose the game.

So next time someone brags about being a 'pattern finder', feel free to smile smugly, while imagining the kinds of crappy patterns they might be believing in.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    So next time someone brags about being a 'pattern finder', feel free to smile smugly, while imagining the kinds of crappy patterns they might be believing in.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually, whenever people think they are good at predicting the future, they're either deluding themselves (selection bias), or hanging out with people that are terribly dumb.

Well, consider how some members think of Si-PoLR as making people incapable of dealing with anything physical. I don't know what's worse, eheh.
    Last edited by FDG; 10-01-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Usually, whenever people think they are good at predicting the future, they're either deluding themselves (selection bias), or hanging out with people that are terribly dumb.
    +1 and Liked

TIM
    INTJ - intuitive sub
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a matter of my own perception. I'm in agreement with many people who know me personally when I say I can forsee the consequences of phenomena. I would say it is transcendent of the immediate sensations and opinions. I look for the critical point that decides the outcome of a situation. I'm unbiased but I'm not omniscient. I can visualize the outcome and when I'm interested I like to find out what happens next. When I'm interested in a movie I can tell what happens before it happens even when watching it for the first time (but not always). When I'm interested in a person I can empathically tell what is really going on and what decisions they will make (but not always). When I'm interested in the news I can tell what it means on the global scale within my own narrow expertise and give a fairly accurate prediction (but not always). With my students I like to give a prediction of their scores before we take a test. I can usually tell what their results will be based on homework, participations, comprehension, etc. At times it's not special in any regard to figure out that the smart students who always get perfect will get perfect and the students who slack off will get a mediocre score.

All in all I would say I just get this sense of the inevitable, like it or not, that something is going to happen but not always.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chip
    It's not a matter of my own perception. I'm in agreement with many people who know me personally when I say I can forsee the consequences of phenomena. I would say it is transcendent of the immediate sensations and opinions. I look for the critical point that decides the outcome of a situation. I'm unbiased but I'm not omniscient. I can visualize the outcome and when I'm interested I like to find out what happens next. When I'm interested in a movie I can tell what happens before it happens even when watching it for the first time (but not always). When I'm interested in a person I can empathically tell what is really going on and what decisions they will make (but not always). When I'm interested in the news I can tell what it means on the global scale within my own narrow expertise and give a fairly accurate prediction (but not always). With my students I like to give a prediction of their scores before we take a test. I can usually tell what their results will be based on homework, participations, comprehension, etc. At times it's not special in any regard to figure out that the smart students who always get perfect will get perfect and the students who slack off will get a mediocre score.

All in all I would say I just get this sense of the inevitable, like it or not, that something is going to happen but not always.
    What you're saying is probably not type-related and if I'm not wrong you've probably not meant to turn this into a socionics discussion. FWIW, I relate very much to what you've described and I wouldn't be surprised if many others do as well. I think it has more to do with an understanding of the factors behind an occurrence, an awareness of the cause and effect links that comes naturally with experience. Like a tweaking of variables in a formula of sensitivity/what-if analysis, we consider the weight to attribute to different variables. After a sufficient period of time, a very strong and reliable formula forms to reflect reality and hence much capable of prediction. It has more to do with knowledge and experience as well as prior exploration of various possibilities that have determined what works or doesn't, and how much weight/probability to assign to a particular factor/variable/cause.

If I have to assign a function to this, it would probably be Si, or Te combined with Si only because I am so much attuned to this process. It is for this reason that I debunk the whole notion of Ni as the function of prediction, due to their disorientation towards details which disinclines them towards the tediousness required of such a robust prediction system.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you're saying is probably not type-related and if I'm not wrong you've probably not meant to turn this into a socionics discussion. FWIW, I relate very much to what you've described and I wouldn't be surprised if many others do as well. I think it has more to do with an understanding of the factors behind an occurrence, an awareness of the cause and effect links that comes naturally with experience. Like a tweaking of variables in a formula of sensitivity/what-if analysis, we consider the weight to attribute to different variables. After a sufficient period of time, a very strong and reliable formula forms to reflect reality and hence much capable of prediction. It has more to do with knowledge and experience as well as prior exploration of various possibilities that have determined what works or doesn't, and how much weight/probability to assign to a particular factor/variable/cause.

If I have to assign a function to this, it would probably be Si, or Te combined with Si only because I am so much attuned to this process. It is for this reason that I debunk the whole notion of Ni as the function of prediction, due to their disorientation towards details which disinclines them towards the tediousness required of such a robust prediction system.
    Yeah, making prediction is pretty much an inherent part of human thought process. I mean wtf, how would you live without it?

The thing with Si and Ni is that in real life situations you sometimes can't do every single step - what you mentioned in your thread a while ago - and then Ni comes in handy. That's also where Ni & time thing comes from I think, when there's a time distance usually process is no longer directly perceivable in a way that would make it easily described in terms of Si; you lose control of the variables.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly can say that I truly suck at predicting anything beyond the very banal. Perhaps I'm trying to predict the wrong things, or perhaps my forecast is too restrictive, idk.
    I can also honestly say that I don't know anyone that is good at it, either...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    Yeah, making prediction is pretty much an inherent part of human thought process. I mean wtf, how would you live without it?
    Precisely.

The thing with Si and Ni is that in real life situations you sometimes can't do every single step - what you mentioned in your thread a while ago - and then Ni comes in handy. That's also where Ni & time thing comes from I think, when there's a time distance usually process is no longer directly perceivable in a way that would make it easily described in terms of Si; you lose control of the variables.
    I agree. I think I pay attention to the immediate impact rather than the long-term ones, and with good reason (from my pov). I was recently arguing with an LIE on how to proceed with a certain project, and I recalled saying that "there can be no long-term without the short-term". My approach is that I take care of the short term needs and that in so doing, the long-term will eventually take care of itself (which may not be 100% true, but works most of the time under relatively stable conditions). Ni to me is prone to jump too far ahead, neglecting the present in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I honestly can say that I truly suck at predicting anything beyond the very banal. Perhaps I'm trying to predict the wrong things, or perhaps my forecast is too restrictive, idk.
    I can also honestly say that I don't know anyone that is good at it, either...
    Yeah. Ability to predict isn't type related at all. Need/propensity to predict perhaps might be enneagram related, saying nothing of the ability/accuracy of the prediction itself.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's 0% true, not "not 100%" true. Maximum care should be given to both short term and long term consequences. Except that this way you'll never get anything done, so meh, idk. This kinda thing is overblown. For not-extreme EJ-Ni or EJ-Si subtypes, both approaches work just fine IME and IMHO.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post

i listened to a Ray Kurtzweil interview a while ago in which he said prediction was the main distinguishing feature of cognition. it was a notion i had independently come up with before that and written about in at least one post on this forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You misread. It's "may not be 100% true"; meaning mostly true under stable conditions where being present-focused is more appropriate, but that isn't the point. Both short and long-term consequences are important, I agree.

Where prediction is concerned, if I am able to grasp most of the variables in a situation (through exposure to many cases where the cause-effect link is observable), it is usually easy to predict how the situation will unfold as long as unexpected situations do not mess it up. Using the example of predicting students' marks for instance, if you can figure out the variables (amount of effort/time put in, level of students' existing knowledge, level of conceptual ability, level and stability of past exam marks, etc), all of this can be used to predict how students will fare, and with marked accuracy after every set of exams with each adjustment to the understanding of a) the students and b) the weight of each factor in the determining of results. In which, each important factor would be monitored and ways found to improve on each important aspect to have the student achieve the maximum possible result.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think when socionists talk about the "big picture" they mean the really big picture. Otherwise, you'd need to be missing half your brain to think that opening a door makes it harder to go through, or that a world wide totalitarian state isn't the ultimate organizing principle of human society.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's normal for Si to make a large number of predictions of how people will behave. I only make predictions about people's behavior and relationships, consciously, if I have to make a big decision, such as whether I'm going to start dating a guy or not. When I was struggling to decide whether or not to date my ex-boyfriend, I predicted that his drinking alcohol would cause major, severe conflicts between us, and I predicted that the relationship would not be really fulfilling for both of us. For a variety of reasons, I got with him anyway, and my predictions were very accurate. However, the majority of the time, I don't make predictions like that, only rarely, and only for very important things. I think it really is more like Ni to make predictions, frequently and often, over and over again, every day, for everything, for small things.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to wonder, again, about the difference between the Ni IM element predicting future outcomes, versus the 'time' dimension of a four-dimensional base function. If you have a four-dimensional base function, then you can predict things in the future that involve that function. You can project it into the future. I was just writing in my other giant wall of text, in the 'what is Si' thread, about how there are certain topics where I don't know the answers yet, but I see them in my future, I know what they'll look like, I'll know how to recognize those answers when I find them, even though I don't know them yet. That's sort of predicting the future of something Si-related. So again, as I've asked before, I wonder how to differentiate between 'Ni is the function that makes predictions' versus 'The time dimension of a base function means that you're able to make future predictions about that base function.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast