Thread: What really is Role function?

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What really is Role function?

I am getting to the point that I can explain Socionics to a stranger if I wanted. I have most of this theory down. However, I am puzzled by the use of the term "Role" in role function.

Is it a role you take on? A role you defer? What is a role function, and why do they say "role?"

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think, simply put, it's the function that filters information, that you are made aware of in the context of an environment. It probably happens when you become self conscious.

The "role" of role function implies that you take on a mask of pretending to care about that information that is being received in the Super-Ego Block. It's situational, short-lived, and compulsory, therefore a role.

These features are "sacrificed" for the sake of the first two
    functions: a person can well realize these functions, but they do not become achievable due to such realization. Most often functions of this block remember various social restrictions (because a person tends to explain his/her incapability of achieving good results by influence of society, education, "circumstances" etc.).

3. The Role Function: often a person tries to look this way (in order to not reveal his/her weak traits before the others), but is not that kind; in an emergency situation this function tends to excesses.
    http://www.socioniko.net/en/1.1.types/model-a.html

Super-ego block
    Otherwise: unit of social control, the unit "must." Weak block, through it social environment presents their demands to the individual, who is forced to comply with these requirements. Since the functions are of perceived weakness, the person attaches great importance to the development, filling it.

Functions:

• 3rd: role - mental weak acceptance;
    • 4th: pain - mental weak productive.
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=32266
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen to ESC. Couldn't put it better myself.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't necessarily describe it as "a mask of pretending to care about the information". The external pressure could just be requiring you to temporarily set aside how you normally process information, and consciously deal with this other type of information.

With this in mind, I agree with the rest of ESC's post.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the role function you're aware of potentialities and whether they should be acknowledged or ignored. It's the requirements vs procrastination balancing you undergo. It helps determine your priorities.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a good example of Role Si, particularly kOrpsey's ideas:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=37321

Essentially, as I understand, he's come up with this idea of "Meta-hunger." Granted, I'm not sure I understand it completely. But it seems to me that he is attempting to separate the physical feelings of actual hunger from the cognitive processes that lead one to think that they could be hungry at a future point in time.

It's a good example of Ni-Base and Si-Role, as kOrpsey seems to be seeking a way to ignore his body's signs of physical hunger while still meeting his need for food using an Ni point of view-- that is, anticipating in advance when he might be hungry again and planning accordingly, so that when the pre-designated time arrives, he'll be ready to eat without having to wait or "listen for" physical hunger cues.

Now attempting to apply this to myself, being Ne-Base and Se-Role. I should be seeking ways to "use" my Ne in a way that will allow me to simulate a sort of Se-exercise, without actually having to switch to operating my Role function. I might do this, for instance, by creating a visual work of art; this art, however, is unlikely to come out as anything recognizable in the real world, but more likely to be something that relies heavily on patterns and geometric shapes and symmetry-- a work of art that I can look at and let my mind wander to something else, even as I am creating it.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't see it as a real existing entity. it's more like the realization that role is sufficiently similar to base function for a person to get most of the answers right. the postulation of an additional "process" is unnecessary. Ti has all the necessary features in common with Fi for a person to engage in Fi behavior reasonably well, etc.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The role function is an excuse for people to see the use of one IE in another yet still claim that the person does not value that IE.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Role function, lol.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    The role function is an excuse for people to see the use of one IE in another yet still claim that the person does not value that IE.
    Which comes from the reification of sociotypes into people. A sociotype is an information processor/energy conductor, but also a model of functioning used to represent operational humans.

No one "uses" an IE or function, right, but using a model, it's interpreted that people tune-in, consider and attend to information coming from their Role/3rd function, which is in the Social Control block of Model A.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, you guys are brilliant.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This function is mysterious to me. I can manage it rapidly or do not have the patience to deal with too much of it without hindering my wellbeing. An example is when I wrote essays for school. With Ni role I tended to write beyond the number of required words and I wasted huge amounts of time editing because the content was never good enough to my standards. I could always think of new subtleties to expand on or end up repeating myself. As augmentation of Fe emotion and my Supervisees, I am uncomfortable when they take drama too far and would step in to try and bring composure back to chaos IRL when possible. With respect awareness of time passing, my sense of time is completely warped depending on what I am doing ... 5 minutes could seem like an hour and an hour 5 minutes. As for introspection, my life goes better when I don't engage in too much because I am already naturally adept at it. Straining at questions of conscience can leave me guilty in a life predicament of being way too hard on myself more than most could fathom.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What people often think as needed to impress the others. Meanwhile supress when are among friendly and common ones. Except when are under an alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by vesstheastralsilky View Post
    This function is mysterious to me. I can manage it rapidly or do not have the patience to deal with too much of it without hindering my wellbeing.
    If you manage rapidly a function then it mb not your superego. You'd need to check your type.
    Among SEIs here: Delilah, FlutteringShyxx (another genius one who claimed herself as EII). A bunch of IEIs. Compare your behavior on the forum with them. You seem closer to J.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    What people often think as needed to impress the others. Meanwhile supress when are among friendly and common ones. Except when are under an alcohol.

If you manage rapidly a function then it mb not your superego. You'd need to check your type.
    Among SEIs here: Delilah, FlutteringShyxx (another genius one who claimed herself as EII). A bunch of IEIs. Compare your behavior on the forum with them. You seem closer to J.
    hmm

It would be good to get more data and see how others experience their 3rd Role functions. Of course if there are accidental mistypings the data is bad but we must start somewhere. A large dataset can help.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rapidly can be taken in the context of trying to get it out of the way as soon as possible, because you are uncomfortable using it and are not necessarily good with it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chakram View Post
    Rapidly can be taken in the context of trying to get it out of the way as soon as possible
    I suppose she assumed rapidly and then used appropriately, but not badly. While this needs a concentration and trained skills what is more expected in strong regions and the least in superego.

For example. I recently tried to do "rapidly" selfie with good emotional expression. It took ~2 hours of making photos just to get some good. And I needed to use near a mirror, as do not understand what exactly emotions are on my face. The task was for my role Fe. If I'd was photoshooted in random situation - I'd at best expressed good "poker face", as to express more complex I can't rapidly and adequately.

So some basis for a suspicion. Her messages style is not that light minded *IE have here. In the profile is her photo, the impressions are not for SEI also.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I suppose she assumed rapidly and then used appropriately, but not badly. While this needs a concentration and trained skills what is more expected in strong regions and the least in superego.

For example. I recently tried to do "rapidly" selfie with good emotional expression. It took ~2 hours of making photos just to get some good. And I needed to use near a mirror, as do not understand what exactly emotions are on my face. The task was for my role Fe. If I'd was photoshooted in random situation - I'd at best expressed good "poker face", as to express more complex I can't rapidly and adequately.

So some basis for a suspicion. Her messages style is not that light minded *IE have here. In the profile is her photo, the impressions are not for SEI also.
    You almost make Fe role sound like it's just autism.