Thread: An exercise for enneagram type 6s

Creepy-female

Default An exercise for enneagram type 6s

Last edited by female; 07-09-2015 at 04:22 PM.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Urg.

This is so difficult because I often just think of my body as a pain-in-the-ass vessel for my brain. I also start freaking out about the implications of "being in my body." Like, if I start focusing on my breathing, it becomes so much more difficult. Or if I focus on my heartbeat, I could think it into stopping beating somehow.

Is this really E6 stuff?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds like it is taken out from some self-help book.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This reminds me of Animus, Manus, Spiritus, and Sophus on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

(Heart, Hand, Spirit and Mind)

You Dolphin are part of the Manus (Hand/Body) archetype. All posts of yours always advocate being in your body.

I am Animus... Heart. All my posts advocate being in one's Heart.

Ashton is Sophus... Mind. All his posts advocate being in your Mind.

Spiritus is umm... Bionicgoat? or Mune. All their posts advocate being in Spirit.

When you touch people you touch them physically. You want them to really feel it.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    Is this really E6 stuff?
    I'm only a 6 secondary, but it sure doesn't look like it to me.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

that's great,dolphin.actually,i came up with a persuade-yourself technique in order to seaze anxiety. any situation that involves being in a crowd,someone talking and not being able to get in or out of the room whenever i want makes me sick.even if i have eaten an adequate amount of food ,my stomach starts to gurgle .i've read that this is caused by anxiety since the stomach muscles get tense and gas gets trapped.anyway,to fight that, i picture that the energy from my stomach moves upwards to my head and i tell myself that the person who's talking is a fake.that's when i feel like i am gaining substance .true story.the thing is that with one way or another you have to get your attention off of your problematic area.no caressing,no nice talking.just ignore and try to find a harmonious place in your mind.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's so special about this for 6? It's just a way of meditating.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This doesn't sound like anything particular to e6...

As I was reading, I thought you were going to say something to the effect of "go to a busy place, sit down, close your eyes, and try to think of exactly what's going on around you." Then I'd figure you might go into how you get clues about whats going on and then you wait for confirmations. Is what you heard really representative of what you think? Maybe you're just hearing things? Which sounds can you trust, which can't you?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Creepy-male

Lol this reminds me of running, I've recently picked up running. I usually go in the mornings and evenings since I'm from texas and in summer the heat can get up to 119 deg. F.

I've been going in the mornings especially lately and it's great for getting an awareness of your physical body and being more grounded. I can usually tell when I'm especially tense when I run because it becomes more difficult to do it when carrying around that excess tension, usually the first half mile is difficult if I'm stressed as I am breaking down all the tension and trying to get into a flow or rhythm.

The other thing I've noticed is how my energy can be sporadic. Sometimes it feels like my breathing isn't rhythmic and I'll kind of sporadically sniff in breathes fast or breath out, or my blood will flow in the same manner like spurts rather than one fluid flow, and my center will feel flimsy and off balance. After running I'm usually very aware of these, my balance is more in line, my breathing and blood fluid and rhythmic, and my center strong and stable.

I don't really like being around some people though when I run, certain people seem like they are too competitive and stuff, not everyone, but some people I get that vibe from and it's very annoying.

At work I swear to god, people in the office seem to get perturbed if I am breathing deep and slow, although that's the way you are supposed to breathe properly. Everyone seems so stressed... I haven't actually carried around as much physical tension as I have now after working in an office environment. Everyone is fidgeting in their chair, machine gun typing, slamming doors, coughing, and one lady talks out loud to herself while she's working. I usually have to switch being grounded at work to being in some kind of odd phased out zone, which I hate because it trickles over into my mood after work, I feel very aloof and distant. Office live is shit, what can I say. I find it funny I'm carrying around so much physical tension now, when I worked as a cart pusher/parking lot supervisor for a year at a grocery store and spent 20-30 hours a week pushing carts outside. Stress can sometimes take a greater toll on people than actual useful work, it's just everyone is resisting their physical energy too much.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I think I know what you mean by this. If I phase out, by environment or preoccupation or whatnot, I have to bring myself back to my body and getting more centered/settled/relaxed is not always a 5 second process. I'm hoping that with more practice I can feel grounded more easily and quickly..
    Have you looked into chakras at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakra

I don't necessarily take everything about them seriously (some things are pretty ridiculous new agey), but some obviously make sense at a certain level. They are a good way to associate physical states to mental states.

For example I've noticed that sometimes when I'm being really reserved my throat will feel un-neccesarily tight and tense; this could be considered a blockage of the throat chakra. This isn't too ridiculous considering that nervous speakers will occasionally get raspy and dry throats and frequently carry a bottle of water with them during presentations. I think there is probably a scientific explanation for some of the intuitive principles behind chakras.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you understand the Enneagram you will know that it can be helpful for any head triad-er, including 6s, to practice being mindful of their body. It was created with that in mind but can be utilized by anyone who suffers from anxiety or is interested in trying out different sorts of awareness.
    Ohh, I misunderstood the purpose of this.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helpful how, though? If I'm meditating I'm meditating, if I'm worrying I'm worrying. They're two completely different things, and being "bodily" doesn't help grounding your head-triad overthinking, at least not in the way this exercise gets you to focus on your body.

The challenge for Sixes is connecting up with their emotions. Sixes tend to be too "top-heavy" and try to approach things with their mind (and especially their inner authoritarian), leaving them out of touch with their emotional drives, in a state of analysis paralysis. The way around it is by grounding yourself in your body, yes, but not by focusing on the world around you--that's just a relaxation technique.

What Sixes need to learn to do is listen to the physiological side of their emotions and build up from there so they can hear how they feel about things and get past the analysis paralysis, allowing them to make decisions without overthinking things.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post

Or if I focus on my heartbeat, I could think it into stopping beating somehow.
    I used to get that

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've been meditating for over a year and a half now and I feel I'm at the point where I'm actually beginning to get decent at it. I find it has a very hard learning curve, but the benefits pay off tremendously. I meditate right before bed because it helps me fall asleep and lets me get rid of all the built up stress accumulated from work, internet, school and family. Up until recently, I've been meditating for one 20 minute session, but I've recently upped it up to 30 minutes, which really increases the benefits exponentially.

I feel as a six I need to meditate, I'm just naturally too anxious as a person to function normally and meditation allows me to function normally and if not beyond normal. The benefits include being able to concentrate better, operating under low levels of anxiety, thinking clearer and having expanded awareness of myself and the environment. I've noticed positive changes in my personality develop over time as a result of long term meditation.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I found most helpful was Thought Field Therapy, also known as Emotional Freedom Techniques. EFT was a free rip-off of TFT, because you have to pay money to buy the TFT videos. So it's probably better to look at EFT first. They're pretty much the same thing.

You touch particular parts of the body in order to relax yourself. It is similar to acupressure. It is based on, and similar to, gestures that you naturally make - for instance, the facepalm. Whenever you facepalm, you are actually touching particular pressure points around the forehead and eyebrows, which does the same thing as the EFT tapping on the points at the bridge of the nose and the temples.

When you hug someone, you touch particular pressure points around the edges of the ribs, and those points trigger relaxation and calmness. When you do these tapping exercises you touch those same points deliberately. When you tap your lips while thinking , those are also relaxation points above and below your lips. Natural gestures do the same thing as EFT except that EFT is more focused and purposeful, and they teach you to focus on the anxiety-provoking throught while doing this.

I found that I could sit in the bathtub and tap the various points (no, it isn't sexual, all of the locations are around on the face, hands, and torso) and relax greatly. I don't follow the prescribed sequences that they give you - I just tap whatever I feel like tapping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion...edom_Technique

Ignore all the bullcrap about placebos. Duh, of COURSE it's related to the placebo effect. That's the whole point!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There's always a temptation to argue against meditation but it really does work.

I used to be afraid of traffic and silly things. Like doing any normal thing felt like climbing mount everest. I felt alone and scared and I was drowning and everybody was laughing at me as I struggled. And I deserved all the scorn and mocking and sociopathic abuse.

lmao it wasn't pretty.

Only by calming my mind down can I filter out reality in a sense, and understand my true protectors and also my predators. Otherwise I am just destroyed by my own neuroticism, by the darker(darkest?) side of me.

I also focus on true connection that I had with others.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The benefits include being able to concentrate better, operating under low levels of anxiety, thinking clearer and having expanded awareness of myself and the environment. I've noticed positive changes in my personality develop over time as a result of long term meditation.
    This is how I'm curing my social phobia. I no longer view humans as monsters that are attacking me, I can sense and read other people accurately a bit better as I'm not so self-focused.

It's like you start to have hope. That one day you can just get over yourself and actually get a life. It's kind of funny and ironic and I completely understand suicide now. To get over yourself you have to kill yourself but you don't have to literally kill yourself. That's a possible solution to end the pain but there are healthier ways. You just have to sorta love and forgive yourself and pat yourself on the back and not become your own worst enemy.

And I love what you said about the expanded awareness, yes when I go out in public it's like I have this mass consciousness and I see in distances better and physical reality is like so smaller and less scary than it once was. It offers you complete control over your physical environment. I want to become as good as those Hollywood Jews.

And sometimes you inevitably get hurt, and not holding onto it or think that it means something that's a part of you is something that I just have to sorta remind myself.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I've been meditating for over a year and a half now and I feel I'm at the point where I'm actually beginning to get decent at it. I find it has a very hard learning curve, but the benefits pay off tremendously. I meditate right before bed because it helps me fall asleep and lets me get rid of all the built up stress accumulated from work, internet, school and family. Up until recently, I've been meditating for one 20 minute session, but I've recently upped it up to 30 minutes, which really increases the benefits exponentially.

I feel as a six I need to meditate, I'm just naturally too anxious as a person to function normally and meditation allows me to function normally and if not beyond normal. The benefits include being able to concentrate better, operating under low levels of anxiety, thinking clearer and having expanded awareness of myself and the environment. I've noticed positive changes in my personality develop over time as a result of long term meditation.
    Thank you for sharing! That's quite encouraging
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    This is how I'm curing my social phobia. I no longer view humans as monsters that are attacking me, I can sense and read other people accurately a bit better as I'm not so self-focused.

It's like you start to have hope. That one day you can just get over yourself and actually get a life. It's kind of funny and ironic and I completely understand suicide now. To get over yourself you have to kill yourself but you don't have to literally kill yourself. That's a possible solution to end the pain but there are healthier ways. You just have to sorta love and forgive yourself and pat yourself on the back and not become your own worst enemy.

And I love what you said about the expanded awareness, yes when I go out in public it's like I have this mass consciousness and I see in distances better and physical reality is like so smaller and less scary than it once was. It offers you complete control over your physical environment. I want to become as good as those Hollywood Jews.

And sometimes you inevitably get hurt, and not holding onto it or think that it means something that's a part of you is something that I just have to sorta remind myself.
    Yeah, I suffered from social phobia the majority of my life, but now it seems almost like a distant memory thanks to meditation with only a shadow of it remaining. Yup, the awareness is simply being able to see things as they truly are. Everything is clearer, your sixth senses become sharper, people become more real to you.
    Last edited by Raver; 09-29-2011 at 02:27 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    you nailed it

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

An interesting perspective is to exist inside your own body. This exercise has sixes in mind but anyone can try it. Choose a place that has moderate comings and goings (you may adjust most of this to your comfort level). Low key background music can be helpful if its repetitive. Sit or lie down in a place where your around the comings and goings. You have a body. A body with a beating heart, but a calm center. You are not the footsteps, nor the clinking of dishes, nor the voices in the next room. You are not through the walls. Focus on you body. Feel the heaviness of it, gravity pulling you down. You are solid. Feel the warmth of the blood pulsing over your face, thru your skin, inflating the tiny veins in your fingertips. You are not someone elses breath. You are inside your skin, and you qe the heavy center of everything, the hub that everything else moves around.
    you're weird