15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking you meant < 1 hour prior instead of > 1 hour prior?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you misunderstand. This has nothing to do with when one notices a desire to eat. Instead it asks when one thinks about becoming hungry, and so it is a question about the experience of conjectural meta-hunger.

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think about becoming hungry? as if it's a choice or something? i don't understand...
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i think about it if i know i will be hungry later and theres no food around me and i want to plan ahead to have food when it happens. i dont plan to be hungry, i just plan to have food. which i guess is kind of the same, but not really.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I sort of agree with Kassie on that. I only think about the fact of becoming hungry in the future, if, for some reason, I am worried that there won't be enough food. Like, say, I used up all the money in my checking account and all I have is a big cup full of coins (which happened to me a few months ago) and I have to think about how many dollar mcdoubles I can get from McDonalds (blecccch) before I use up all the coins. But even then, I still didn't really think about hunger in advance. I had some weird faith that said 'nothing matters, it'll be okay.' So I would just randomly do whatever I felt like doing until I started to feel hungry.

I think that thinking about hunger might be a sign that you already are hungry.

Or not. It's possible to think about hunger as an abstraction. If physical sensations were sort of an unwelcome nuisance to someone, if physical discomfort was something that one dreaded or disliked (I'm thinking of this in socionics terms), if someone didn't like the hassle of having to pay attention to a physical sensation, experience the sensation, and take action to fix it, then they might look at the future and say 'Hm, when am I going to feel that feeling again?'

Hunger can be experienced as a sick and unpleasant feeling, too. Like it can sometimes feel like nausea. So it might be something that one would actually dread, in advance.

My diabetic ex-semi-boyfriend (whatever he was) had to think about food consciously, because he had insulin constantly being injected into his body from a pump. If he didn't eat, his blood sugar level would go dangerously low. But he often didn't feel physically hungry, and he had to eat food 'on purpose' even if he didn't really want to. He had to make a conscious decision to make himself go eat food when it was time. The insulin, and all his other drugs, messed up his internal hunger signals so badly that he couldn't really feel hungry at the moments when his blood sugar was low. So he had to eat deliberately.

But I'm interpreting the original post. That would be like, planning your day ahead before you do it. So, around 8:00 AM, you might be thinking to yourself, 'Okay, somewhere around 11:00 AM I'm going to start feeling hungry.' That would be thinking of hunger three hours in advance of actually feeling hungry.

I think this might be a Si versus Ni question. For me, Si says: I get hungry in the immediate moment when I get hungry, and I never bother to think of the physical sensation before it happens. Ni says: Think about things before they happen, a wide variety of things, including the sensation of hunger, and imagine in advance what will happen later on in the day. That's my weakness of Ni - I can't imagine what I'll be doing later on in the day, or three hours from now.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    When do you usually think about becoming hungry?
    I don't. I just eat knowing I have to nowadays.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just go find food when I feel hungry. What the fuck is think about being hungry?

lately I never feel hungry anymore
    maybe you can try exerting your body a bit more to stimulate hunger
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    What the fuck is think about being hungry?
    it is a question about the experience of conjectural meta-hunger.
    So it's about the ideational aspect of alimentary desire removed in time from the moment in which one experiences the actual pangs of a stomach wakening to its emptiness.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    I just go find food when I feel hungry. What the fuck is think about being hungry?
    Where do you usually find it, like, you hunt for rats with a pocket knife?

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's about the ideational aspect of alimentary desire removed in time from the moment in which one experiences the actual pangs of a stomach wakening to its emptiness.
    I don't see why anybody would think about being hungry when they're not. Or am I not understanding something vital to the question?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My body tells me I'm hungry before I start consciously thinking about it.

Not to say that I don't sometimes eat out of recreation even when I'm not hungry; but then, I'm not thinking about "being hungry," I'm just thinking about enjoying the good food.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes like today I make a man pizza. Yeah!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I don't see why anybody would think about being hungry when they're not.
    This is directed at thoughts concerning the transitional state of becoming hungry at some other time, not being actually hungry in the present moment.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I don't see why anybody would think about being hungry when they're not.
    This is directed at thoughts concerning the transitional state of becoming hungry at some other time, not being actually hungry in the present moment.
    In that case my answer would be "whenever somebody asks me when I may want to eat." It's not something that seems particularly precise in its predictive ability, nor is it a thing I think about at any other time when not hungry.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about this, I really became convinced this was a Ni versus Si thing, as I said above, and it actually seems very interesting. We need more strong Ni people in the forum to say whether they, too, think of a physical sensation as a separate event that can happen at some point in time, rather than only thinking about it at the moment when it happens. Perhaps the title of the thread is attracting a whole bunch of Si-valuers and so we're not getting a lot of responses from Ni types.

I'm not consciously aware of the moment when I start becoming sleepy, either. It would be like looking at the clock, knowing that I started to feel the sleepiness sensation around 11:00 PM or so, and then remembering, forever, that sleepiness tends to start around 11:00; and then, the next day, looking ahead of myself and saying, 'Three hours in the future, at 11:00, I will start to feel sleepy.' And this really is neat because it shows how differently people see things. I'm certain it's Ni versus Si.

And actually, this would be very useful to know if for instance you were preparing for a car trip. You might be able to predict in advance that you'll probably be driving the car for three hours and then start to feel sleepy. You might be able to look at a map ahead of time and say 'Where will I be when that happens?' and then you'll look for the city where you'll pull off the road and take a break.

I'm actually amazed at the way Ni people think on the rare occasions when I encounter them. I encounter almost nothing but sensors every day of my life, and it's always at work, where I can't really get to know anyone or ask them any detailed questions about how their mind works.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A moment ago I just polished off a handful of corn chips after working all afternoon and evening, and as I completed that snack the thought occurred to me that I'm likely to strongly desire a hearty meal in an hour or so. Meta-hunger at its finest.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A moment ago I just polished off a handful of corn chips after working all afternoon and evening, and as I completed that snack the thought occurred to me that I'm likely to strongly desire a hearty meal in an hour or so. Meta-hunger at its finest.
    There you have it kids, Ni = time

I guess I think about hunger either when I'm already in that state, or when I check the time in relation to when I "should probably" eat, such thoughts being infrequent at best. Your poll responses have me thinking that these kinds of thoughts are habitual and regular, which is something I can't relate to. Ergo, I don't know how to answer aside from "whenever, lol."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me always funnin' on hunger even right after a meal.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told-- and it seems to hold up in personal observation-- that our bodies start to feel hungry again about 3 hours after the last time we started eating.

So, if you eat breakfast at 7:00, you would feel hungry again at 10:00. If you always ate when you were hungry (like I do), then you would be eating at 7 AM, 10 AM, 1 PM, 4 PM, and 7 PM. And, if you stayed up late enough you'd also start feeling hungry again around 10 PM.

Whoever decided that people should eat only three meals a day was definitely not an Si-Valuer.
    My life's work (haha):

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I've already eaten and someones getting more food ready, I think about becoming hungry enough to eat it, usually if its way better than what I ate. Chicken wings or pizza mirite.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    When I've already eaten and someones getting more food ready, I think about becoming hungry enough to eat it, usually if its way better than what I ate. Chicken wings or pizza mirite.
    Very interesting. I hadn't considered that angle before but will be on the lookout for it henceforth.

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    opinions on actually being hungry rather than thinking about becoming hungry
    Plz save this for another thread. The previous posts demonstrate quite clearly that our focus here is on mental events that are related to but temporally divorced from somatic perceptions. Our only concern with actual nagging from the body for sustenance is that feeling's displacement in time from thoughts about said sensation manifesting.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was thinking about becoming korpsey, but I got dizzy after an hour of standing on my head.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So what conclusions can we draw from this? I'll extrapolate that a lot of you don't cook good meals, because cooking meals that take a long time while you're already hungry is torture.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    So what conclusions can we draw from this? I'll extrapolate that a lot of you don't cook good meals, because cooking meals that take a long time while you're already hungry is torture.
    Yet this is exactly what I do quite often. And not only that, but when I've got a girlfriend or roomies I'm often the designated cook, so I must have a fairly decent idea of how to get around a knife and a pan.

And again, this thread really has nothing to do with eating or a desire to eat except as a purely mental event relating to the anticipated beginning of the aforementioned.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post
    And actually, this would be very useful to know if for instance you were preparing for a car trip. You might be able to predict in advance that you'll probably be driving the car for three hours and then start to feel sleepy. You might be able to look at a map ahead of time and say 'Where will I be when that happens?' and then you'll look for the city where you'll pull off the road and take a break.
    That's how I think about trips, FTR. But I'm not so sure that it can be related to Ni. I know some other people that plan similarly, and I don't think they are INxp or ENxj.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    That's why I can't help snarching bits of food as I am preparing it.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

opinions on actually being hungry rather than thinking about becoming hungry
    Plz save this for another thread. The previous posts demonstrate quite clearly that our focus here is on mental events that are related to but temporally divorced from somatic perceptions. Our only concern with actual nagging from the body for sustenance is that feeling's displacement in time from thoughts about said sensation manifesting.
    Since when was it a rule around here to always stay perfectly on-topic? Anyway, I expect my comments can still be valuable to SOME people, even if YOU don't care. What's the point in starting a whole new thread? It's just going to get "derailed" eventually, too.

The way I interpreted the original question was, When do our appetites start to kick in, versus when our bodies actually become hungry. And, I basically stated that I don't see the difference.
    My life's work (haha):

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since when was it a rule around here to always stay perfectly on-topic?
    I asked nicely, and for good reason. No one but you and your strawman mentioned rules.

Anyway, I expect my comments can still be valuable to SOME people, even if YOU don't care.
    Again you misstate the case by making assumptions about my thoughts. It's not that I find your input worthless but that its concern with bodily urges in a given moment misleads others from considering the nature of thoughts about the transition to hunger outside the present, i.e. cognitive meta-hunger. I shouldn't have to keep repeating that we're speaking of mental events here, not digestive ones.

What's the point in starting a whole new thread? It's just going to get "derailed" eventually, too.
    Let's say that I'd rather see corny pictures or bad music videos crop up here than these more subtle diversions that produce confusion in others who are having difficulty comprehending how the contemplation of urges can be distanced from their obtainment.

The way I interpreted the original question was, When do our appetites start to kick in, versus when our bodies actually become hungry. And, I basically stated that I don't see the difference.
    Then kindly go back and re-read until the distinction becomes clear.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I eat when my hunger makes me tired and I would feel better if I ate at that moment. Which answer is that? When food is in front of me?

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I IS HUNGRY NOW. PRESENT FOOD PLEASE.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think about becoming hungry, I just eat when I'm hungry. However, I'm a mom, so I do have to think about getting food to the kids when THEY become hungry. Still, I try to think about it as little as I can. For snacks, things like cucumber slices and carrots instead of complicated salads or casseroles. I buy easy foods they can grab like bananas, apples, granola bars, chips and guacamole, etc.

I really hate having to think about meals actually. Today I was in the grocery store thinking: none of this food looks good to me. Nothing. I do like to eat good food when I'm out at a restaurant but I hate preparing it myself and planning and shopping and ugh, what a waste of time. But I also don't like feeling like crap so I never eat fast food either.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I dont think about becoming hungry either, just eat when Im hungry though I voted "when food is present" because when I see the food that often stirrs my appettite even if I didnt want any before.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    I dont think about becoming hungry either, just eat when Im hungry though I voted "when food is present" because when I see the food that often stirrs my appettite even if I didnt want any before.
    yeah, me too.

here's something funny: I was emptying my IEI daughter's lunchbox after school and I said "how come you didn't eat your sandwich today?" (she ALWAYS eats her sandwich) and she looked at me and kind of laughed and tilted her head and said "huh? Oh..." and she genuinely was confused and could not remember NOT eating her sandwich. I said "were you hungry in the afternoon?" and she said no. She HAD eaten her apple and some of her pistachios. Now *that* is the definition of absent-minded. So cute though!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post

here's something funny: I was emptying my IEI daughter's lunchbox after school and I said "how come you didn't eat your sandwich today?" (she ALWAYS eats her sandwich) and she looked at me and kind of laughed and tilted her head and said "huh? Oh..." and she genuinely was confused and could not remember NOT eating her sandwich. I said "were you hungry in the afternoon?" and she said no. She HAD eaten her apple and some of her pistachios. Now *that* is the definition of absent-minded. So cute though!
    This sounds like something my ILI hubby would do. He comes home from work some days and as soon as he walks into the house and smells dinner, he groans about how hungry he is; I'll ask him if he ever ate lunch, and he says, "Oh, yeah...no, I forgot to eat lunch..."

Maybe it's an Si-Role thing.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm. I could get all defensive right now, but I don't feel like arguing. I don't really see the need to apologize, either. So, I'm just going to try to satisfy you now by answering your question.

First of all, the "every three hours" thing IS applicable to this discussion, because that's the way I think about it. I know, from past experience, that when I sit down to eat I will probably start feeling hungry again in about three hours. It's pretty predictable that way.

However, I don't really think about it that much; I mean, it's already an established fact in my mind, why bother dwelling on it several times a day? I'm a human being, I need food to survive; and I will continue to need it over and over again until I die. I can plan ahead accordingly, and I do. I go grocery shopping once a week and buy food for the next week; I'm not necessarily hungry when I buy it, but I know I'll appreciate having it available later. My house is full of food, actually: we have cans of food under the bed, behind the couch, in the closet, in (most obvious place) the pantry. I fix all the meals for myself and my boys, and breakfast and dinner for my husband. Obviously, I've got food on the mind A LOT. But, that's not exactly the same to me as thinking about being hungry-- that is reserved for when I'm actually hungry.

As for answering your poll, I can't, because I just don't think that way.

If that's not acceptable to you, kOrpsey, I guess we'll just have to chalk it up to our Se/Si differences.
    My life's work (haha):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast