Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does socionics type become more prominent as you grow up?

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does socionics type become more prominent as you grow up?

...does your type become more prominent?

I ask this based on my own experience. In my freshman year of high school, I sat at a lunch table with three or four other people. We would all bully one kid who had a speech impediment, and for some reason I went along with it. I guess I figured it was all in good fun since he wasn't leaving the table.

But near the end of the year, I realized that what I was doing was completely dumb and wrong. I don't want anyone to think of me as a mean person. Does this have anything to do with my type, or is it completely separate, like a change in religion? The thing is, I haven't always thought this way. It's only now that I have really been trying to be the best person I can be.
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being nice or being a bully isn't type related.
    However, the process you went through that changed your mind/actions might be.

In general though, I'd say it's part of the process of growing up. Supposedly, our ability to plan well, keep to a plan, and consider long range effects doesn't mature until we're in our 20's.
    I'd done things in my teens and early 20's that I'm definitely not proud of.

Maybe apologize to the kid, let him know you realize you were wrong to do the actions you did, and then consider it a learning experience for yourself.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry about the kid; we're on okay terms now. I was just talking about my internal changes.
    Johari - Fediverse

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expect to go thru lotsa internal changes. I'm almost 40, and I'm still changing and growing. Now...if that don't scare ya...muhahahah
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very frightened.
    Johari - Fediverse

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay View Post
    Certain aspects of your personality become more prominent, and they aren't necessarily the ones you'd think.

I am a markedly more different person at 28 than I was at 18. I imagine the 38 year old fmh will be another creature entirely.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

As people grow up, they become more and more addicted to their first and 5th functions, they smash others more frequently with creative and hidden agenda, their role and ignoring are more and more pathetic and the polr and demonstrative are mega annoying....and they start to have hair in their ears.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My first best friend was a beta. Type isn't that big a deal in little kids.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but it's like, it wasn't that one thing that changed. My entire world view changed. It was sort of like changing your religion or something.
    Johari - Fediverse

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might sound scary, but there are things that happen to your brain, physically, while you're growing and developing, and they happen at certain ages. For instance, if I recall, something really big happens to your brain around age 12, and you become able to understand certain kinds of ideas that you couldn't understand when you were younger.

If your brain development went through a transition at a certain age, you would experience a feeling that your mind was opening up and getting a much broader and deeper perception of life. And it would be because your brain was physically bigger and stronger and able to do more things than it could do when you were young.

So if you read an article about brain development, you might see what happens at particular ages. I don't actually know any details about this, offhand. But I'm just saying, it could have been a physical change, instead of just being a mental change.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post
    If your brain development went through a transition at a certain age, you would experience a feeling that your mind was opening up and getting a much broader and deeper perception of life.
    I've experienced this kind of thing but it didn't happen at age twelve though.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is quite interesting, Nico1e. I will definitely do some research of that.
    Johari - Fediverse

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    In general though, I'd say it's part of the process of growing up. Supposedly, our ability to plan well, keep to a plan, and consider long range effects doesn't mature until we're in our 20's.
    I'd done things in my teens and early 20's that I'm definitely not proud of.
    Supposedly people don't fully mature into adults until their mid twenties. I did notice a change when I was around 24 on my overall mentality.

Anyways, I do think that as you get older you tend to behave as your type more. I feel like I act a lot more IEE now then when I was younger. It could be because when I was younger I was more hidden under a shell because I wasn't comfortable showing who I truly was to other people. Now, I don't really care as much and have a take it or leave it approach when dealing with other people. Also another thing to take into account as you get older is you start to care less what people think of you.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, I've never felt any change in my personality since I was like...12.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'd say your type becomes more "stable" rather than "prominent". In the beginning when you are a kid and teen, there are many more personality 'fluctuations', as your brain at this age is very flexible and it is in the process of rapidly growing and wiring itself. As a result, you may find your behavior and attitudes rapidly changing as well. As you grow older (into mid-20s and beyond) your brain will stop undergoing major changes, so your personality and habits will then become more fixed.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Tacknamay, based my understanding of EII, my type, I believe that a person of Fi type not only would learn to empathize with the persecuted person, but very likely never would have gotten involved in teasing the underdog in the first place. Empathy in an EII type is innate, not learned or acquired. Still, props for working on improving yourself.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Empathy in an EII type is innate, not learned or acquired. Still, props for working on improving yourself.
    Empathy in everybody is innate (except psychopaths). Manifestation of which is learned/acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay
    I think that we are gradually forced to use more and more of our super-id functions as we are placed in various settings in life which require the use of these functions. We would also tend to be more skilled in our ego functions. So in my view, our type does become more prominent, but so does our super-id functions- the hidden agenda, especially is prone to be mistaken for a strong function.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981Slater
    As people grow up, they become more and more addicted to their first and 5th functions, they smash others more frequently with creative and hidden agenda, their role and ignoring are more and more pathetic and the polr and demonstrative are mega annoying....and they start to have hair in their ears.
    This.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NTR. ****** is the same type as me and I have beaten the crap out of 3 kids in my life for talking down to my friends or picking on someone who couldn't help themselves.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    NTR. ****** is the same type as me and I have beaten the crap out of 3 kids
    They were jews?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Fabie, every last one of them.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that interaction was hall of fame worthy, imo
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad that was setled.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tacknamay, based my understanding of EII, my type, I believe that a person of Fi type not only would learn to empathize with the persecuted person, but very likely never would have gotten involved in teasing the underdog in the first place. Empathy in an EII type is innate, not learned or acquired. Still, props for working on improving yourself.
    So you think I might be mistyped because I teased him in the first place? Or am I misunderstanding you...

EDIT: Also, it's probably worth noting that I have multiple psychological problems such as ADHD, anxiety, depression, etc. So that may or may not make a difference.

EDIT x3: Also, I had an emotionally abusive step father. That also might have affected me, idk.

EDIT x2: To make it clear, the reason I'm confused is because who I am now is so different than who I was then. I mean, if you're self typing, should you judge based on how you think of yourself now, or how you have acted in the past?

And gee, this is becoming more and more about me, isn't it? Maybe I should change the title.
    Last edited by Taknamay; 09-15-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Johari - Fediverse

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure it does. Seems like once you're young its strong, then as you go through adelesence (fuck my spelling im lazy) things develop and during 20s is when it becomes its strongest again.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is absolutely nothing about gathering and processing Fi+Ne info that necessarily leads to sainthood from birth. We learn, we grow, we expand our minds...well, most maturing people do. What do we learn from? Mistakes, ours or others. But it may take a while before we interpret something as having been a mistake or an error.

I call bs on the idea that an FiNe could never ever possibly do anything that could be construed or experienced as mean.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you haven't been mistyped, either. We don't know what exactly your situation was like with this kid. Maybe you had reason to believe that it wasn't that bad to tease him. There must have been a reason why, at first, it seemed okay, and then afterwards, it no longer seemed okay. Maybe he expressed hurt feelings, but only later on. Maybe he was laughing while it was happening. Maybe he even said something himself that seemed to encourage the teasing, and it was only afterwards that you realized it still wasn't okay. The situation would have been complicated and no, you could not have known in advance. You will make mistakes and that is normal.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ask this based on my own experience. In my freshman year of high school, I sat at a lunch table with three or four other people. We would all bully one kid who had a speech impediment, and for some reason I went along with it. I guess I figured it was all in good fun since he wasn't leaving the table.

But near the end of the year, I realized that what I was doing was completely dumb and wrong. I don't want anyone to think of me as a mean person. Does this have anything to do with my type, or is it completely separate, like a change in religion? The thing is, I haven't always thought this way. It's only now that I have really been trying to be the best person I can be.
    People's feelings and choices in life become more clear over time.
    I personally think one's type is always the same, but, one's confidence level, environment, and other factors - the interface, changes over time. You know more of what you want and how you want to deal with things with more experience.

Type can be clearer with older people sometimes, especially if they've basically stopped mentally growing, and just keep using their old, entrenched psychological habits.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    My childhood best friend grew up to be SLE, so I can attest to this. We didn't really have many disagreements as children, but the type differences became more apparent as we neared puberty. I would presume that's when an autonomous sense of ego/self/type starts to develop.
    Last edited by Radio; 09-16-2011 at 05:44 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InkStrider View Post
    Empathy in an EII type is innate, not learned or acquired. Still, props for working on improving yourself.
    Empathy in everybody is innate (except psychopaths). Manifestation of which is learned/acquired.
    That's not true because the LSE I know don't particularly like doing charity work, volunteering; they would rather donate $100 of their money than a minute of their time. That doesn't make them a psychopath.

Why do you think people commit charitable acts, because they feel for people who are suffering, because they want to help. These things wouldn't exist if you couldn't relate empathy with charity.

So you think I might be mistyped because I teased him in the first place? Or am I misunderstanding you...

EDIT: Also, it's probably worth noting that I have multiple psychological problems such as ADHD, anxiety, depression, etc. So that may or may not make a difference.

EDIT x3: Also, I had an emotionally abusive step father. That also might have affected me, idk.

EDIT x2: To make it clear, the reason I'm confused is because who I am now is so different than who I was then. I mean, if you're self typing, should you judge based on how you think of yourself now, or how you have acted in the past?

And gee, this is becoming more and more about me, isn't it? Maybe I should change the title.
    I can say that I'm very very sensitive to external emotional responses given off by objects/people. It would not be possible for me to engage in similar attempts without great amount of guilt. I can't even fathom myself in reenacting of the situation in my own mind...to see the impressions on the person from being treated so poorly, etc.

given the above points that you've made about the possibilities of you treating others outside and having removed your self from the equation based on your personal circumstances...I think an EII would further introvert into themselves. This person would be afraid to help others being afraid of being judged. I think if I came from a similar background, this is how I would be, further introverted and unengaged with people, repressed.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 09-16-2011 at 07:55 AM.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not true because the LSE I know don't particularly like doing charity work, volunteering; they would rather donate $100 of their money than a minute of their time. That doesn't make them a psychopath.
    Never have I said that I think LSEs who prefer to donate money rather than volunteering are psychopaths. Rather, that empathy is an impulse inherent in all human beings other than at the extremes of the mentally disordered. So long as a person is governed by conscience, he may be said to be capable of empathy, I think.

Anyway, you can't conclude much from only one LSE you happen to know. Whether one prefers donating money or contributing their time has more to do with what they can afford, the amount of free time they have, their priorities, the extent that they prefer/value either, as well as the level of fulfillment they experience from either choice.

FWIW, you're the second person in the forum to have so grossly misinterpreted what I write.

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay
    It's good enough a title. Maritsa seems to place too rigid a criteria on what it means to be a type, that is all.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maritsa seems to place too rigid a criteria on what it means to be a type, that is all.
    And you seem to be a masochist.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know an LSE that created a nonprofit ZOMG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post

You are a difficult person to get along with.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delise
    I'm almost 40
    WHAT?! I thought you were 9... you lied to me

Quote Originally Posted by delise
    I'm still... growing
    Ok a little better

Quote Originally Posted by turtley wurtley
    Does this have anything to do with my type, or is it completely separate, like a change in religion?
    Nope. There are many things that can change one's thinking and behaviour radically. As n1cole said, it could be due to puberty, or as delise suggests it could be due to maturity. Most of the time, we are also exposed to radically different people who's value and desires resonate our own, and they fully bring out our growth in these areas.

Once you grow past adolescenes and teenage years, your type becomes far more stable and pronounced. You will tend to attract people and events in your life that change your perception and thinking towards the ideals that you value. It may mean that you become more of a defined type, or not, but the implication is basically that if you dream long and hard enough, it will come true.

Quote Originally Posted by turtley wurtley
    It's only now that I have really been trying to be the best person I can be.
    I believe you've always wanted to be a great person, just that the desire was not so pronounced and distinct at a younger age. You will get a far sharper vision soon enough, and you will definitely become the best person you can be.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arsal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    My childhood best friend grew up to be SLE, so I can attest to this. We didn't really have many disagreements as children, but the type differences became more apparent as we neared puberty. I would presume that's when an autonomous sense of ego/self/type starts to develop.
    This also has something to do with how we perceive the passage of time, when we are children, and how we perceive the passage of time, when we are adults.

Imagine if you were a seven year old, and you had been best friends with somebody for two years, since you were five. Those two years would seem like a really, really long time. It would seem like you had known this person for almost your whole life. It would seem like forever.

If you were thirty years old, and you had been friends with someone since you were 28, it wouldn't seem like such a long time. Your perspective would be different.

It might take a couple of years for two people to notice that they are of incompatible types, especially when they are young and they haven't had many relationships before.

So (this is a strain for me to explain this idea that I had, be patient with me) if you're a kid, and you've been best friends 'forever' with somebody, and you gradually discover that they're incompatible with you, it's going to feel different than if you're an adult, you've had lots of past relationships, and you've known someone for a couple of years and have gradually realized you're incompatible with them.

So it may, or may not, have to do with entering puberty - or it might simply be, the number of years that you have spent together - and it just happened to be around the time of puberty, by coincidence. Sorry, hard to explain.

My old best friend seems sort of bossy, when I look back at her now. (This is my childhood friend, before age 8.) I'm not sure what type she was, but she always wanted to play 'school,' where she was the teacher and I was the student, and she would give me assignments to do, and I pretended to do them. I enjoyed it back then - it was sort of comforting - but I think I would feel a bit more rebellious about this as an adult.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best friend in primary school was a clear SEE, and my first crush was ESI-Fi.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Never have I said that I think LSEs who prefer to donate money rather than volunteering are psychopaths. Rather, that empathy is an impulse inherent in all human beings other than at the extremes of the mentally disordered. So long as a person is governed by conscience, he may be said to be capable of empathy, I think.
    Empathy is inherently due to the sensitiveness of the mimosa. The less sensitive types are less so inclined to empathy. It doesn't have anything to do with money, it has to do with one's time. Still the priority of an LSE is to rather not spend their time on something like this because they are oriented to Te...objective (money) orientation of giving.

Anyway, you can't conclude much from only one LSE you happen to know. Whether one prefers donating money or contributing their time has more to do with what they can afford, the amount of free time they have, their priorities, the extent that they prefer/value either, as well as the level of fulfillment they experience from either choice.

FWIW, you're the second person in the forum to have so grossly misinterpreted what I write.
    It's not just ONE LSE, it's many.
    -

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well yes, and I do not hide it. Any ethical advice on what should I change. You did it before.

And please, do be direct with me, that is, do not allude to someone without saying who this person is, vide your response to Maritsa. Passive-aggressive much? All in all, I think she is going to eat you for lunch seeing your prowess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33
    It's not just ONE LSE, it's many.
    You said, "the LSE I know", which equals to one.

Empathy is inherently due to the sensitiveness of the mimosa. The less sensitive types are less so inclined to empathy.
    What? Nevermind.

It doesn't have anything to do with money, it has to do with one's time. Still the priority of an LSE is to rather not spend their time on something like this because they are oriented to Te...objective (money) orientation of giving.
    As I've said, whether a person choose to spend money or time/effort when it comes to charity work is dependent on many other factors.

Well yes, and I do not hide it. Any ethical advice on what should I change. You did it before.

And please, do be direct with me, that is, do not allude to someone without saying who this person is, vide your response to Maritsa. Passive-aggressive much? All in all, I think she is going to eat you for lunch seeing your prowess.
    I have no interest in imposing any ethical advice on anyone other than myself, and I am beginning to tire of clarifying myself to you when you are obviously intent on trolling and picking on me. Any more of this and I will place you on ignore. Don't take it personally.

Honestly, the both of you irritate me.
    Last edited by InkStrider; 09-18-2011 at 12:07 AM.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johari - Fediverse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast