I'm becoming less and less convinced of the usefulness of N/S and F/T. They seem to just promote misconceptions and shaky typings. Even after checking for them in a lot of people, I still can't really tell what these dichotomies are supposed to look like, and basically every description I can find more or less boils down to something like emotion/reason and generalities/details. Honestly, I'm about ready to consign them to the old conceptual scrapheap.

Instead of thinking about type primarily through temperament and club dichotomies, then, why not think with temperament and quadra dichotomies? Thus, an EIE is a Merry Decisive Extrovert. An ESI is a Serious Decisive Introvert. Forget Introverted Thinking, it's Introverted Merriness! Extroverted Sensation? It's Extroverted Decisiveness. Basically, Judicious and Decisive could define the irrational functions, while Merry and Serious could define the rational ones.

Of course, this isn't to say that the system needs to work this way, or even that it's more correct. In fact, it's mainly just an alternate way of naming things. However, I've found that when typing people or considering how type would affect a person's actions, it helps greatly to hide the hackneyed N/S and F/T for a while, so as not to get hung up on the baggage that the labels N, S, F, and T carry. On the other hand, Jud/Dec and Mer/Ser, while not as immediately obvious, seem to be much more reliable, and tend to result in much more reasonable assumptions.