Thread: twins

TIM
    SLI/ISTp/594/5w4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default twins

Twins: report! Are you the same type as each other? Identify yourselves as identical, fraternal ... Share any thoughts or questions on the subject here. Although if this has been discussed before elsewhere on the forum, maybe point me that way and let this thread die quietly...
    / ISTp / SLI / 5w4 / 594 / sp/sx
    / Lunar 12-egram /

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meals View Post
    Twins: report! Are you the same type as each other? Identify yourselves as identical, fraternal ... Share any thoughts or questions on the subject here. Although if this has been discussed before elsewhere on the forum, maybe point me that way and let this thread die quietly...
    It has been discussed.

Identical twins aren't identical at all, I don't know what's so hard to understand. Thermograms of monozygotic twins show their differences. That is, some animals might be able to tell them apart, as might some blind people.

It is myth and completely wrong to think of identical twins as genetically identical. They're not.

As for carrying the same type, line them up, type them, voila...

TIM
    SLI/ISTp/594/5w4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voila - what is the answer, usually? That they are the same socionic type? If you have a link to the previous discussion, or a method of getting there, I would appreciate it. I searched for the word "twin" and didn't come up with anything.
    / Lunar 12-egram /

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identical twins are indeed genetically identical, but there is more to phenotype than what is encoded in the DNA (@Absurd as well as everyone else).

Epigenetics is key in regulating expression of those same genes. So are post-translational modifications of proteins already expressed. Among other things. Gene expression is a highly complex thing. Also, one's genome can undergo some degree of mutation throughout ones lifetime.

I actually am an identical twin myself. My sister identifies most strongly with EII. I identify more with IEE than EII. And the differences between the two sociotypes do reflect a lot of differences between us that we've noticed in the past (and present). I mean, i'm sure there are twin pairs who are the same sociotype, but i dont think that it's a given.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Identical twins are indeed genetically identical, but there is more to phenotype than what is encoded in the DNA (@Absurd as well as everyone else).
    How so ?

I think it's the same hype as with retroviruses that were once believed to be cytotoxic without running absolutely any tests whatsoever, simply coming up with a hypothesis.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    How so ?
    I explained it in my post! See the 2nd paragraph (epigenetics, PTMs, mutations, incomplete penetrance, codominance, X-inactivation, etc).

the identical genomes can actually be easily determined. It's quite simple to do gene sequencing these days.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it explains one dying of cancer and the other not.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I think it explains one dying of cancer and the other not.
    What explains it? I'm not sure what you're referring to as "it".

Anyway, I'll explain "it" per current knowledge of the subject. Every gene has two copies in the body. A set of twins might be born with a mutation in one copy of the gene, but they dont have cancer yet because for that particular gene, you need both copies to be mutated to generate cancer. So both twins are living life, and at some point during their lifetime, one of the twins develops a mutation in the other copy of the gene and gets cancer. Voila. One twin has cancer, the other doesnt. That's one of the several ways that can happen.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Epigenetics is key in regulating expression of those same genes. So are post-translational modifications of proteins already expressed. Among other things. Gene expression is a highly complex thing. Also, one's genome can undergo some degree of mutation throughout ones lifetime.

I actually am an identical twin myself. My sister identifies most strongly with EII. I identify more with IEE than EII. And the differences between the two sociotypes do reflect a lot of differences between us that we've noticed in the past (and present). I mean, i'm sure there are twin pairs who are the same sociotype, but i dont think that it's a given.
    This is really interesting. You are twins and have mirror relations? Wow .... I'm thinking of how monozygotic twins develop as mirror images of one another.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identical Twins = Same Type/Subtype
    PROVE ME WRONG etc.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

typing a pair of twins as mirrors goes half way toward admitting they're just identicals.

TIM
    SLI/ISTp/594/5w4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much for the link and further discussion. I'll agree that accurately typing a bunch of sets of twins would be useful in settling the debate.
    / Lunar 12-egram /

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    typing a pair of twins as mirrors goes half way toward admitting they're just identicals.
    I remember u mentioning this before, and how the differences we're seeing might just be us trying to be individualistic. What you said has remained on my mind. I mean, it is entirely possible, i'm not denying that. The question then is, is she IEE or am I EII?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is still a 1/16 chance that twins can be the same type. I want to see those twins!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meals View Post
    Thanks very much for the link and further discussion. I'll agree that accurately typing a bunch of sets of twins would be useful in settling the debate.
    http://mctfr.psych.umn.edu/research/Personality.html