Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Enneagram vs MBTI vs Socionics

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Enneagram vs MBTI vs Socionics

    Gun to your face, which one of these theories would you say was the best and why?

  2. #2
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    do you really have to ask?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ...kind of yeah. I'll take that as a vote for socionics.

  4. #4
    silke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Posts
    3,781
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    they are all cool - just superimpose them on each other

  5. #5
    Memory of Tomorrow Reuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oh baby, baby, baby
    TIM
    No idea
    Posts
    1,928
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @sar

    there is no best theory. there is only the more appropriate theory in terms of context. also, an in-depth understanding of each theory and its roots allows for cross-referencing and inter-breeding of ideas that can produce new and useful insights.

  6. #6
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like both the Enneagram and Socionics, but I view MBTI as a worse version of Socionics because it doesn't have any advantages in my opinion. All in all, I'd probably say Socionics is the best because it's very complex and it's based on the 16-types-model which has proved to be successful. But this complexity is also one of the disadvantages. Because personal traits can be explained very differently, people in this forum often have very different type opinions of the same people. The Enneagram is much easier to comprehend and the types are often easier to identify, also because the system has less types. The question is: Are 9 types accurate enough to make adequate use of this typology, or is it too shallow and you need at least 16 or even more (with subtypes)?
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  7. #7
    ഗന᎕ᒹ ±ᗉᚔXᙂഗ woofwoofl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Posts
    1,905
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    they are all cool - just superimpose them on each other
    Yes

    I don't currently have a use for MBTI, though I find it interesting; I'm more interested in trying to get Socionics to play nice with the Thoth tarot... I think I tried this from a approach, I'll keep at it to see what happens if/when I shoehorn my thought patterns into a more-or-less Beta mold...

    There an eastern thing I need to get into more which has to do with water, fire, earth, wood, steel, and their interplay with each other; water puts out fire, fire melts metal, metal chops wood, wood parts earth, and earth drinks water; water feeds wood, wood feeds fire, fire creates earth, earth creates metal, and metal contains water... it holds together in a pentagram shape:


  8. #8
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^
    I've read about these chinese elements (opposed to the classic greek ones), but do they have anything to do with personality typology?
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  9. #9
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd have to say Socionics. It's really the most advanced, probably a lot more advanced than it gets treated or recognized as, even here.

  10. #10
    ഗന᎕ᒹ ±ᗉᚔXᙂഗ woofwoofl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Posts
    1,905
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    ^
    I've read about these chinese elements (opposed to the classic greek ones), but do they have anything to do with personality typology?
    I can't find anything, and I don't know what to use it for

    I encountered it in Feng Shui; all I learned to do was to run useless clutter papers through the shredder and to donate that which I can't use, which did me well, but I don't know what to make of the element thing; I saw a circle with lines in it, and figured someone would know what to do with the thing...

  11. #11
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've just read on another website that those chinese elements can be applied like zodiac signs. Hmm, I don't know if this is intended or just the artistic freedom of the site owner...
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  12. #12
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,329
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Gun to my face, and three choices, I would still say Aspectonics (extended) combined with the Dimensions (experience, norms/rules, situational, global).

    These have helped me find resolutions to some issues I've had, help me communicate with my daughter (who we've only recently (15 1/2yo) learned that most of her issues fit along the autistic spectrum), and help me figure out a more successful approach to learning things. I wish I'd had this knowledge when I was trying to homeschool her, it would have made life easier for us both.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  13. #13
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst Trevor View Post
    do you really have to ask?
    yeah socionics clearly the winner.

    One cannot defend enneagram or mbti to be better.

  14. #14
    Self banned bionic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    gotham city
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fuck them all. Do Personal Construct Psychology instead.

  15. #15
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bionic View Post
    Fuck them all. Do Personal Construct Psychology instead.
    If George Kelly would have known of socionics, he would have had an erection lasting for a month.

  16. #16
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    MBTI is used for societal purposes. Its not specifically for this realm.

    Socionics and Enneagram can overlap to the point that using both together aids in cross-sectioning someone to negate any false recognitions in either system.

    As an easy example, an ESTj 5w(anything) is not plausible. However, an ESTj 6w5 is. Similarly, an ESTj 7w(anything) is not plausible. However, an ESTj 6w7 is. Different rational for each scenario exists, though. Si creatives are not found in 7s, and extroverts are not found in 5s.

    As another easy example, an ENTp 3 is far more like than an ISFp 3. Yet, both are possible. So this is more of an example of a sliding hierarchy of possibility, rather than the absolute examples in the above paragraph.

  17. #17
    Professional Turtle Taknamay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What about the Big Five? Or is that different because it's not dichotomy based?
    All the good are friends of one another. (Zeno of Citium)
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Quitter - Diaspora*

  18. #18
    "Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All personality systems cover certain facets of a person, but out of all of them so far socionics has been the most accurate, detailed, and in depth, incredibly so.

  19. #19
    "Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Gun to my face, and three choices, I would still say Aspectonics (extended) combined with the Dimensions (experience, norms/rules, situational, global).

    These have helped me find resolutions to some issues I've had, help me communicate with my daughter (who we've only recently (15 1/2yo) learned that most of her issues fit along the autistic spectrum), and help me figure out a more successful approach to learning things. I wish I'd had this knowledge when I was trying to homeschool her, it would have made life easier for us both.
    Aspectonics? Sounds interesting.

  20. #20
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay View Post
    What about the Big Five? Or is that different because it's not dichotomy based?
    Ive never felt that the Big 5 was useful. However, it is more like MBTI/ASVAB/CAPS, etc. They are mainly tools of employment.

    Socionics and Enneagram are fairly unique.

    There there are the multiphasic types, like the Minnesota, but that goes into a whole new realm of psychometrics.

  21. #21
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst Trevor View Post
    do you really have to ask?
    yeah socionics clearly the winner.

    One cannot defend enneagram or mbti to be better.
    Unless one has a brain, in which case Enneagram emerges as far superior to either.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  22. #22
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    The enneagram isnt vague. The descriptions and information for it is often very, very awful and very, very misleading.

  23. #23
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Socionics describes relationships like no other theory does, so if you're questing for the potentially best relationship, it's a fair choice. Enneagramm can be better for self-discovery and self-actualization, since socionics is mostly a descriptive theory as far as types go.

    MBTI is just wrong. Their functional ordering for introverts is inexcuseable, completely messed up. However, type descriptions have a tendency to collimate with socionics' ones.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  24. #24
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,695
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Socionics > Enneagram > MBTI

    IMO, Inter-type relations and thorough descriptions is what puts Socionics on top of all other systems. Enneagram does an excellent job on covering ground that Socionics misses especially when you include the type stackings. MBTI is a flawed system for interpreting introverted functions wrong from Jung's work and is inferior for this reason primarily.
    Last edited by Raver; 09-19-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  25. #25
    neverthesame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In prison
    TIM
    LII, 5w4
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They're all awful. Life and personality are far more complex, socionics for instance is ridiculous with its "intertype relationships", the Enneagram is utter crap and MBTI descriptions are too idealistic.

  26. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    State College, PA, USA
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, I keep saying that I am a total socionics devotee, and that is still true.

    As for the Chinese symbols (water, fire, etc) those things might be helpful as mnemonic aids, to help you remember something. That's the way that I take them. I don't take them literally.

  27. #27
    Samuel the Gabriel H. MisterNi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA.
    TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They're all fine as far as I'm concerned.

    MBTI is great for team building and work environments because it's already well established and simple enough to be applied easily.

    The Enneagram is a great aide for self-discovery and the type descriptions are far superior to the average Socionics descriptions, but don't expect any coherent theory.

    Socionics has a very solid theoretical background but the application-ability of it is still pretty poor because of its complexity.
    Last edited by MisterNi; 10-02-2011 at 04:47 PM.

    IEE Ne Creative Type

    Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •