Thread: type/personality throughout life

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default type/personality throughout life

when you look back at your life, at what stage did you realise that you have such and such personality? does your personality seem different at different stages of your life when you think about it now or was it always the same?

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was born this way. Nothing really changed throughout my life. Seriously, as far as I remember, the main features of my personality were always present. I think I was aware of my own personality (not type) pretty early. During elementary school, I could identify the differences between me and others pretty easily. I can't really identify certain "phases".
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still discovering my personality, although I wouldn't say I've "changed" much. I think I've always felt a slight tinge of being "different" from most of the people I knew, which I'm now attributing to an Fi vs Fe issue.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, according to pokemon theory, basic personality is set, although as you grow and develop and blundgeon others unconscious, you occasionally evolve into the next best thing.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marietta View Post
    when you look back at your life, at what stage did you realise that you have such and such personality? does your personality seem different at different stages of your life when you think about it now or was it always the same?
    My 15yo daughter:
    Extrovert
    Sensation>Imagination
    Desired consistency from her environment (causing major fights and ill feelings between us)
    Imagination and understanding through sensation, imagination treated as reality
    Understanding relationships between people through toy manipulative play
    After much hard work and lots of fighting, finally allowed a little more inconsistency in environment, but still fought against things like word play and leaps of imagination
    Understanding historical interactions through toy manipulative play
    Finally started showing small signs of simple word play and a little imaginative scenarios....still based on concrete concepts
    Now plays a little more regularly (word play and imaginative scenarios) but kept short, mostly to do with people interactions, and simple cause-effect relationships

I believe that if she had regular access to an Ni ego person, her understandings of cause-effect and inter-dynamics would expand quickly.
    Once she gains a better understanding of this, then her ability to ...influence... her relationships with people, and/or influence people would vastly improve.

Basically, as time goes on, and she extends her skills into areas of interests (which are influenced by her skills) her personality will become more rounded... At least until she settles into habitual actions and habitual viewpoints, at which time I expect her personality growth will lessen.

So something like extrovert -> sensation -> personal emotions -> Se+Fi -> Te HA -> Ne role -> Ni ds + simple Ti.... Only not so cleanly linear.

Note: I could probably do a better job at describing the development of her personality, I'm just not in the mood to put that much thought into this particular post.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marietta View Post
    Always the same. I probably would always be INXP in MBTI but I can't say I ever really thought much about it before I took the test, unless I just don't recall. I was deep in to a number of things just not that.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed pretty much along my life, from habits to principles. To give you *some* examples (it is all too complex to explain):
    - I used to daydream much, it was irresistible to me when a pleasant thought/scenario would have slipped in my mind, even if totally unrealistic - eg. from having a success with something, with a girl, to flying or stopping the time for the rest of the world. I'm not like that anymore, now I select what I like to think about in terms of feasibility and make myself busy in order to stop the mind wandering uselessly.
    - the thought of relationships breaking was unbearable, painful I'd say. For instance my parents breaking up, separating from us or breaking up with my gfs, this was extending sometimes to relatives and even celebrities. Not anymore, although I still value stable relationships, under the condition of making sense.
    - I was mystifying what was not familiar to me, I was reading too much into things; I was shy with strangers, especially women or people with a different social role, whose behavior I could not fully justify rationally (like teachers, policemen, thugs). I was suffering from anxiety as well, I think. I'm not like that anymore, and not because I somehow became more confident in myself, but maybe more relaxed and let-going.

From what I can tell, my type has not changed. The core things remained the same, for instance seeing everything in some sort of structure, hierarchy, classification or set. Like maths, physics or chemistry, everything is built from several simple concepts and rules, it's all a matter of finding them and finding the nature and level of placement of each thing in the whole; all things correspond to each other and the knowledge that can be applied to a field, can be applied to a new one. Thinking in analogies, I had (and still have) this constant feeling that something is always missing from (or something is redundant in) the big picture; for the same reason, Oriental philosophy (ie. concepts like Yin-Yang, Ten-Chi-Jin) always came naturally to me, even when I was a kid. I was the same in such respects (which fits the way ILE processes information) since I can remember, so I have no reasons to believe I was different types at different stages of my life.
    Last edited by The Ineffable; 08-23-2011 at 09:42 AM.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to believe I was somehow defective growing-up, likely due to be raised around entirely Ti types, so I don't think I understood type/personality, it was more about feeling a lack of something than being well rounded in self-understanding.
    It wasn't until about my early 20's that I started to except who I am and how the environment I was raised in had distorted my perspective, so I'd say that's when I started to understand "personality/type"
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    I was born this way. Nothing really changed throughout my life. Seriously, as far as I remember, the main features of my personality were always present. I think I was aware of my own personality (not type) pretty early. During elementary school, I could identify the differences between me and others pretty easily. I can't really identify certain "phases".
    Yeah, pretty much the same for me. I do remember a slight change around puberty time, I became more extraverted, but the way I process information has remained the same.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the core, it is the same for myself and most around me.

The external environment and life stages may necessitate a different "persona" such as during puberty, actively networking for a job, etc. where we behave somewhat out of character. As we age and mellow out, the outward expressions of our personality are refined and better controlled but still consistent with who we are.

For people who experienced undue hardship such as violence in early life, it would be different.