Thread: Peter Thiel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Peter Thiel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel

He is funding the creation of these libertarian islands. Kind of an interesting idea.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...140840896.html

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome!

And he's also trying to persuade entrepreneurs not to go to college! Even more awesome! And no, I'm being serious, not sarcastic.

I hope that these islands have a seafood-harvesting section. They could build some structures with a very large surface area filled with lots of holes and spaces. They would grow seaweed and edible water plants in there and they would grow clams and mussels and other things all over them. They would not need to go to the land to get food.

I have fantasized about 'seasteading' for several years now. There is so much space, and yeah, it doesn't follow the laws of the countries on the continents. They would need to collect large amounts of fresh water, but there's nothing impossible about that, it would just be a challenge. They could still get some of their supplies by trading with the land.

I hope it works.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default rogue waves

I just thought of something. What about 'rogue waves?' That's always been my question when I think about seasteading.

There exist these hard-to-explain, occasional, gigantic, impossibly huge waves, which appear out of nowhere and totally destroy ships unexpectedly. They do not come from earthquakes. Instead they are the result of some other forces, like wind, and perhaps they happen when several different waves 'add up' on top of each other.

http://www.deathwaves.com/

TIM
    Alpha NT?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."
    It sounds like it would be a floating hell-hole, and therefore an archetypal ENTj project.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post
    awesome!

And he's also trying to persuade entrepreneurs not to go to college! Even more awesome! And no, I'm being serious, not sarcastic.

I hope that these islands have a seafood-harvesting section. They could build some structures with a very large surface area filled with lots of holes and spaces. They would grow seaweed and edible water plants in there and they would grow clams and mussels and other things all over them. They would not need to go to the land to get food.

I have fantasized about 'seasteading' for several years now. There is so much space, and yeah, it doesn't follow the laws of the countries on the continents. They would need to collect large amounts of fresh water, but there's nothing impossible about that, it would just be a challenge. They could still get some of their supplies by trading with the land.

I hope it works.
    How people will last without having an external structure of government will be very interesting in my opinion. They'll be able to do it thats for sure because by default people fall into order whether anyone likes it or not. The people that they will put on the island will be civilized and the buildings are already set up so they will not fall into any sort of tribal mode rather they will go on living their lives in a normal manner. Concrete laws will be set up eventually, there just wont be as many of them and the laws will be more essential. It'll act as the birth of a new country except with people of the likes of today which means they will run their course as a country much faster i.e. they will fall into disorder much faster.

I just thought of something. What about 'rogue waves?' That's always been my question when I think about seasteading.

There exist these hard-to-explain, occasional, gigantic, impossibly huge waves, which appear out of nowhere and totally destroy ships unexpectedly. They do not come from earthquakes. Instead they are the result of some other forces, like wind, and perhaps they happen when several different waves 'add up' on top of each other.

http://www.deathwaves.com/
    haha yeah I totally forgot about those. They probably have something figured out.. with how much money that is invested into this they will have a plan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Begoner View Post
    Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."
    It sounds like it would be a floating hell-hole, and therefore an archetypal ENTj project.
    hahah thats what I'm thinking. It wont be bad at first but give it time and it will fall apart fast.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He's homosexual.

We would have hate sex, since I obviously disagree with him on how the world should be run.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    He's homosexual.

We would have hate sex, since I obviously disagree with him on how the world should be run.
    Did you read someplace that he was homosexual, or did you pick up on it by watching the video? I don't have my earphones with me and I don't want to play the video out loud where I am sitting right now (in a bookstore). I will have to watch it later.

It makes sense. His homosexuality would provide some of his motivation for doing this. He would want to create a world where people could have more sexual freedom.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    He's homosexual.

Did you read someplace that he was homosexual, or did you pick up on it by watching the video? I don't have my earphones with me and I don't want to play the video out loud where I am sitting right now (in a bookstore). I will have to watch it later.

It makes sense. His homosexuality would provide some of his motivation for doing this. He would want to create a world where people could have more sexual freedom.
    It isnt directly obvious just by watching the video.. I think he admitted to it awhile back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an View Post
    How people will last without having an external structure of government will be very interesting in my opinion. They'll be able to do it thats for sure because by default people fall into order whether anyone likes it or not. The people that they will put on the island will be civilized and the buildings are already set up so they will not fall into any sort of tribal mode rather they will go on living their lives in a normal manner. Concrete laws will be set up eventually, there just wont be as many of them and the laws will be more essential. It'll act as the birth of a new country except with people of the likes of today which means they will run their course as a country much faster i.e. they will fall into disorder much faster.
    One thing I forgot about when I wrote this is that these people support this form of government which will actually slow down the process because they will support and most likely be satisfied with the government. It might be closer to a slow dying off rather than a complete failure.

and dont get me wrong personally I would call myself a libertarian there are a few areas I disagree with in the party but for my own personal beliefs it fits pretty well. I would love for America to have a libertarian president. I think it would help us in a lot of areas but as far as this idea goes I dont see it working. I think the concept is kind of cool though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome - I would support my tax dollars going to buy these randian libertards a one-way ticket to putting their money where their mouth is so the rest of us can go on dealing with reality.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype