TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewBorn STAR View Post
    He was all types. Like jesus
    Does satan caress you when you're asleep ?

TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Jiddu Krishnamurti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiddu_Krishnamurti

edit: tentatively typing him as IEI (Ni-subtype so/sp 1w9)

some quotes:

"All ideologies are idiotic, whether religious or political, for it is conceptual thinking, the conceptual word, which has so unfortunately divided man."

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

"You cannot depend upon anybody. There is no guide, no teacher, no authority. There is only you — your relationship with others and with the world — there is nothing else. When you realize this, it either brings great despair, from which comes cynicism and bitterness, or, in facing the fact that you and nobody else is responsible for the world and for yourself, for what you think, what you feel, how you act, all self-pity goes."

"The fact is there is nothing that you can trust; and that is a terrible fact, whether you like it or not. Psychologically, there is nothing in the world that you can put your faith, your trust, or your belief in. Neither your gods, nor your science can save you, can bring you psychological certainty; and you have to accept that you can trust in absolutely nothing."

"It is important to understand from the very beginning that I am not formulating any philosophy or any theological structure of ideas or theological concepts. It seems to me that all ideologies are utterly idiotic. What is important is not a philosophy of life but to observe what is actually taking place in our daily life, inwardly and outwardly. If you observe very closely what is taking place and examine it, you will see that it is based on an intellectual conception, and the intellect is not the whole field of existence; it is a fragment, and a fragment, however cleverly put together, however ancient and traditional, is still a small part of existence whereas we have to deal with the totality of life."

"Freedom and love go together. Love is not a reaction. If I love you because you love me, that is mere trade, a thing to be bought in the market; it is not love. To love is not to ask anything in return, not even to feel that you are giving something- and it is only such love that can know freedom."

"One can go on endlessly reading, discussing, piling up words upon words, without ever doing anything about it. It is like a man that is always ploughing, never sowing, and therefore never reaping. Most of us are in that position. And words, ideas, theories, have become much more important than actual living, which is acting, doing."

"Your belief in God is merely an escape from your monotonous, stupid and cruel life."

"One is never afraid of the unknown; one is afraid of the known coming to an end."
    Last edited by silke; 06-29-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only quotes I sort of liked were the following:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

"Freedom and love go together. Love is not a reaction. If I love you because you love me, that is mere trade, a thing to be bought in the market; it is not love. To love is not to ask anything in return, not even to feel that you are giving something- and it is only such love that can know freedom."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiddu_K..._and_childhood

'A sensitive and sickly child, "vague and dreamy," he was often taken to be mentally retarded, and was beaten regularly at school by his teachers and at home by his father.'

He must have had a 'helping witness'... or, at the very least, in his childhood he wasn't exposed exclusively to cruelty, brutality, hypocrisy, cowardice, mendacity, and/or conformity, etc

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's ILI:

"The highest form of human intelligence is to observe yourself without judgement."

"A consistent thinker is a thoughtless person, because he conforms to a pattern; he repeats phrases and thinks in a groove."

"A man who is not afraid is not aggressive, a man who has no sense of fear of any kind, is really a free, a peaceful man."

"Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem."

"There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere."

"There is an art of seeing things as they are: without naming, without being caught in a network of words, without thinking interfering with perception."

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

"It is important to understand from the very beginning that I am not formulating any philosophy or any theological structure of ideas or theological concepts. It seems to me that all ideologies are utterly idiotic. What is important is not a philosophy of life but to observe what is actually taking place in our daily life, inwardly and outwardly. If you observe very closely what is taking place and examine it, you will see that it is based on an intellectual conception, and the intellect is not the whole field of existence; it is a fragment, and a fragment, however cleverly put together, however ancient and traditional, is still a small part of existence whereas we have to deal with the totality of life."
    Love this quote

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lifer View Post
    He's ILI:

"The highest form of human intelligence is to observe yourself without judgement."

"A consistent thinker is a thoughtless person, because he conforms to a pattern; he repeats phrases and thinks in a groove."

"A man who is not afraid is not aggressive, a man who has no sense of fear of any kind, is really a free, a peaceful man."

"Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem."

"There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere."

"There is an art of seeing things as they are: without naming, without being caught in a network of words, without thinking interfering with perception."
    But what do you think of this? I think he was kinda "shaped by some ILI's and that is an influence but not his natural way.

In April 1909, Krishnamurti first met Charles Webster Leadbeater, who claimed clairvoyance. Leadbeater had noticed Krishnamurti, on the Society's beach on the Adyar river, and was amazed by the "most wonderful aura he had ever seen, without a particle of selfishness in it."[a] By Ernest Wood, an adjutant of Leadbeaters at the time, who helped Krishnamurti with his homework, he was considered "particularly dim-witted".[6] Leadbeater was convinced that the boy would become a spiritual teacher and a great orator; the likely "vehicle for the Lord Maitreya"—in Theosophical doctrine, an advanced spiritual entity periodically appearing on Earth as a World Teacher to guide the evolution of humankind.[6]

In her biography of Krishnamurti, Pupul Jayakar quotes him speaking of that period in his life some 75 years later: "The boy had always said, 'I will do whatever you want'. There was an element of subservience, obedience. The boy was vague, uncertain, woolly; he didn't seem to care what was happening. He was like a vessel, with a large hole in it, whatever was put in, went through, nothing remained."[7]
    His public image, cultivated by the Theosophists, "was to be characterized by a well-polished exterior, a sobriety of purpose, a cosmopolitan outlook and an otherworldly, almost beatific detachment in his demeanor."[18] Demonstrably, "all of these can be said to have characterized Krishnamurti's public image to the end of his life."[18] It was apparently clear early on that he "possessed an innate personal magnetism, not of a warm physical variety, but nonetheless emotive in its austerity, and inclined to inspire veneration."[19] However, as he was growing up, Krishnamurti showed signs of adolescent rebellion and emotional instability, chafing at the regimen imposed on him, visibly uncomfortable with the publicity surrounding him, and occasionally expressing doubts about the future prescribed for him.[c]
    ... woke up early with that strong feeling of otherness, of another world that is beyond all thought... there is a heightening of sensitivity. Sensitivity, not only to beauty but also to all other things. The blade of grass was astonishingly green; that one blade of grass contained the whole spectrum of colour; it was intense, dazzling and such a small thing, so easy to destroy...[41]

This experience of the otherness would be present with him during daily events:

It is strange how during one or two interviews that strength, that power filled the room. It seemed to be in one's eyes and breath. It comes into being, suddenly and most unexpectedly, with a force and intensity that is quite overpowering and at other times it's there, quietly and serenely. But it's there, whether one wants it or not. There is no possibility of getting used to it for it has never been nor will it ever be..."[41]
    His quotes seem more ethical than logical to me even when I read them with a monotone "sound" to them.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    His quotes seem more ethical than logical to me even when I read them with a monotone "sound" to them.
    Personality type is never one more than another. It is one or it is the other. Period.

What people love about personality type they also hate about personality type, because it is categorical in nature.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lifer View Post
    Personality type is never one more than another. It is one or it is the other. Period.

What people love about personality type they also hate about personality type, because it is categorical in nature.
    That's way too absolutist for me. I think I am channeling an ILI today.

He was groomed from a very young age to be what the the Theosophical Society wanted him to be.

In April 1909, Krishnamurti first met Charles Webster Leadbeater, who claimed clairvoyance. Leadbeater had noticed Krishnamurti, on the Society's beach on the Adyar river, and was amazed by the "most wonderful aura he had ever seen, without a particle of selfishness in it."[a] By Ernest Wood, an adjutant of Leadbeaters at the time, who helped Krishnamurti with his homework, he was considered "particularly dim-witted".[6] Leadbeater was convinced that the boy would become a spiritual teacher and a great orator; the likely "vehicle for the Lord Maitreya"—in Theosophical doctrine, an advanced spiritual entity periodically appearing on Earth as a World Teacher to guide the evolution of humankind.[6]

I read somewhere ILI are not inclined toward absolutes.

I maintain that truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or coerce people along a particular path. ... This is no magnificent deed, because I do not want followers, and I mean this. The moment you follow someone you cease to follow Truth. I am not concerned whether you pay attention to what I say or not. I want to do a certain thing in the world and I am going to do it with unwavering concentration. I am concerning myself with only one essential thing: to set man free. I desire to free him from all cages, from all fears, and not to found religions, new sects, nor to establish new theories and new philosophies.[55]

Following the dissolution prominent Theosophists turned against Krishnamurti, including Leadbeater who is said to have stated, "the Coming had gone wrong."[56] Krishnamurti had denounced all organised belief, the notion of gurus, and the whole teacher-follower relationship, vowing instead to work in setting people "absolutely, unconditionally free."[55] There is no record of him explicitly denying he was the World Teacher;[57] whenever he was asked to clarify his position, he either asserted that the matter was irrelevant,[58] or gave answers that, as he stated, were "purposely vague."[59]

5. Extroverted sensing
    IEIs have little natural or automatic awareness concerning their ability to make use of their willpower or position and exercise their will in opposition to others. Such a task is bothersome and they appreciate someone taking up the role for them and executing it well.
    IEIs are awed in the face of someone adept at using their willpower or position and exercising their will in opposition to others. IEIs are drawn to people who exude this self-confidence and personal presence; just being with them is enlivening. These are the people who dream big dreams and are capable of achieving them, who aren't fazed by the obstacles that so often stand in the IEI's path.
    The IEIs' own world is one of indecision and hesitation when it comes to taking action and striking out on their own. What best removes this hesitation is when someone else really wants them to do something. The IEI then relies on the other person's strong desire to mobilize them to action, as if the force of their desire were their own.
    He was a survivor and did what he had to do until he reached a position to exert his own will. I relate to that. I am not invested in his type but this was interesting to read and make some random connections.

Lutyens says that later in life Krishnamurti came to view his "discovery" as a life-saving event. Often, he was "asked in later life what he thought would have happened to him if he had not been 'discovered' by Leadbeater. He would unhesitatingly reply, 'I would have died'."

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    That's way too absolutist for me. I think I am channeling an ILI today.
    I read somewhere ILI are not inclined toward absolutes.
    Hehehehehehe