Thread: Makeup or no Makeup?

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Makeup or no Makeup?

Ok guys, be honest. Do you like a woman better with the makeup on or without? What attracts you to a woman at first glance?

One thing I have been noticing of late is the fact that I attract just as many guys when I am not wearing makeup as when I am wearing makeup. . . it doesn't matter if I'm wearing sloppy jeans, my hair is wind-blown from riding shotgun and the makeup is no where in sight. On average I always get asked out about twice every time I go out shopping.

I say "hi" to a guy and ask him a question because something in his cart caught my eye, and next thing I know he's asking me out! It's rather annoying to me sometimes, because I've had guys follow me out into the parking lot going. . . "what about tomorrow for lunch? Tomorrow for diner? The day after tomorrow? The next day after that? Oh, I have tickets to see a game!" Etc. etc. etc. . . (I'm sure I'm not the only girl on this forum with this experience.)

But yeah, my point being, it doesn't seem to matter how nice I look, I seem to attract a million and one guys anyways. . . so yeah. What DOES attract a man enough to ask a girl out in the store?

I'm curious. . . because I have seriously looked BAD sometimes when asked out. . . I'm not even wearing contacts and I have my "nerdy" glasses on. . . it doesn't make sense to me. . .

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without. If you do wear any, then just something light. Heavy make-up just gives off the impression that you have a lot to hide from people, or that you have some sort of image to uphold. I find that when I see pics of celebrities "without make-up," there really isn't that drastic of a change to how attractive I find them. If anything they seem more authentic without it.

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    I say "hi" to a guy and ask him a question because something in his cart caught my eye, and next thing I know he's asking me out!
    I think by striking up conversations with these guys, they see it as an opening, as though you might be interested in them. It's more likely the way you're going about it than anything else. You may be coming across as more flirtaceous than you realize.

I definitely don't have the problem you do, and I'm not ugly or anything, I'm just reserved. I don't go around making small talk with random guys wherever I go. It doesn't have anything to do with how much makeup you are or aren't wearing, it's more about your demeanor and perceived openness. IMO.

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think by striking up conversations with these guys, they see it as an opening, as though you might be interested in them. It's more likely the way you're going about it than anything else. You may be coming across as more flirtaceous than you realize.

I definitely don't have the problem you do, and I'm not ugly or anything, I'm just reserved. I don't go around making small talk with random guys wherever I go. It doesn't have anything to do with how much makeup you are or aren't wearing, it's more about your demeanor and perceived openness. IMO.
    Hmm. . . you're probably right. Although I totally never really thought about that. . . but a lot of my friends have told me that I tend to be really friendly and overly nice sometimes. . . but it's kind of me. So it's hard for me to stop being friendly because that's the way I am. . . kind of like how it takes a lot for LII to approach someone, it takes a lot for me not to approach someone. . . it's hard to explain. I just "do".

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without. If you do wear any, then just something light. Heavy make-up just gives off the impression that you have a lot to hide from people, or that you have some sort of image to uphold. I find that when I see pics of celebrities "without make-up," there really isn't that drastic of a change to how attractive I find them. If anything they seem more authentic without it.

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."
    Yeah. I grew up like this. I don't think that I wore even a smidgeon of makeup until I was 16. . . and even now I dab a bit on here and there and then I'm finished in under five minutes. A little clear lip gloss, concealer, mascara, and blush and I'm out the door. Besides, a lot of makeup costs far too much. I'm the type of girl that goes for the makeup on sale for a buck, or the dollar tree cheapo stuff.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellow82 View Post
    On average I always get asked out about twice every time I go out shopping.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually prefer women without makeup.
    I always think if a women doesn't look good without makeup, some brush strokes won't make it better. However, the natural look is actually something I like better in general. So no coloured nail polish either, please.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanna make out without makeup.

Well okay, a little makeup doesn't hurt.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. . . I think the "natural makeup" effect is what men like best. But, to make sure I'm right. . . here's some pictures of the different makeup "looks". . . vote on which one you like best.

(and yes, I'm only using blonds because it makes the comparing all the more easier. )

a.) No makeup

b.) Natural makeup

c.) Heavy/gaudy makeup

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a midline at which makeup is attractive. If you're wearing so much that it doesn't look like you, it's more of a turn-off than none at all. And there's something attractive about a 'just got out of bed and I'm still pretty damn hot' look, but obviously that only works if you're still pretty damn hot.

But between those two extremes, there's a way to apply makeup to make you look like yourself but slightly prettier. Many women on TV have mastered this (by which I mean many makeup artists have mastered this), and it is a fantastic thing.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b) is more like photoshop makeup, but anyways, it depends on the girl and what looks good on her. It also depends on the occasion. No reason to restrict on one type of makeup. Be random, be different, be unique, be yourself.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    LSI- Se 6w5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the goth look on myself; heavy dark eye makeup and red lips... and I prefer to look like this when I go out. I like to accentuate my features, and I've always been a fan of the dramatic look.

The guys that are generally attracted to me aren't really going for the au naturel look themselves either. Most of them will have some form of body modification whether it be piercings or tattoos, or they are part of some alternative scene.

A friend of mine used to tell me he gets turned on when I start taking my makeup off because to him it signals 'sexy time'. I won't have sex with my makeup on if we're going to do it in my bed.... expensive bed sheets that I really don't feel like ruining with smudged lipstick and eyeliner lol.

I noticed with a lot of guys though it doesn't really matter so much about the makeup, it's more about the overall appearance, body language, confidence level, and how much potential there is that you'll click. Give a guy a flirty smile and a wink and he'll be more willing to come say hi even if you do look super sloppy.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

A. to about B. very natural makeup. I still want to look like me.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on if you need it. If you don't then don't use it because it will turn out looking worse, especially later on. If you want to give definition to your eyelashes then do that. But in that second picture you linked you can tell she looks like porcelain or whatever and its not doing well for her skin. The first picture is also just low-quality and has patched pixels. It's not bad irl.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. . . I think the "natural makeup" effect is what men like best. But, to make sure I'm right. . . here's some pictures of the different makeup "looks". . . vote on which one you like best.

(and yes, I'm only using blonds because it makes the comparing all the more easier. )

a.) No makeup

b.) Natural makeup

c.) Heavy/gaudy makeup

Of those three, definitely A and B only. C looks sexy but it just seems too unnatural to me. The way I look at makeup is, it should be used to accentuate an already beautiful face.
    Last edited by MisterNi; 08-05-2011 at 02:53 AM.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't leave the house without makeup. I go for the natural look and hide all the scaring that I have on my face from past blemishes. So it's only foundation, some eyeliner, and a bit of bronzer for me. If I'm going out at night then I mix it up with a more dramatic look. I tend to go for ruby red lipstick and a less dramatic look on the eyes or smoky eyes with a rosy pink lip. I usually go au naturale if I feel comfortable with the person or if I'm on cam... since I'm too lazy to do myself up.

TIM
    LSI- Se 6w5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bionic View Post
    I won't leave the house without makeup. I go for the natural look and hide all the scaring that I have on my face from past blemishes. So it's only foundation, some eyeliner, and a bit of bronzer for me. If I'm going out at night then I mix it up with a more dramatic look. I tend to go for ruby red lipstick and a less dramatic look on the eyes or smoky eyes with a rosy pink lip. I usually go au naturale if I feel comfortable with the person or if I'm on cam... since I'm too lazy to do myself up.
    You always look gorgeous when you do your makeup, you've got a really good eye for it

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bionic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    You always look gorgeous when you do your makeup, you've got a really good eye for it

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When in doubt, sink time and effort into having well-washed and conditioned plush, flowing locks.

Guys dig that.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    When in doubt, sink time and effort into having well-washed and conditioned plush, flowing locks.

Guys dig that.
    Did you wash your hair today?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's indifferent for me unless make-up is overblown, in which case I don't like it. I esp. don't like make-up on the eyes.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Most guys will say, "I like it when girls don't wear makeup," but what they really mean is, "I like it when girls wear a little bit of makeup, not cake-face." They generally can't tell when you have a tiny bit of makeup on, they just think you look more "awake" or "healthy" or something, and when you turn up with absolutelly no makeup, they think you look "tired".
    Definitely, my friend has pointed out days when she's not wearing makeup and days when she is, and I do seem to feel that she is more "awake" or something when she has makeup. (Though I say she looks fine in either situation!)
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I esp. don't like make-up on the eyes.
    Me, neither. I've only worn makeup for acting, and even then I didn't let people get too close to my eyes.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

With make-up, definitely.

No offense but the reason why men and other women invented make-up for women is because they just look uglier w/o make-up them men do. Idk what it is but they do.

A woman w/o make-up, 9 times out of 10 they just look tired and washed-out and blah. But the right make-up and they look so pretty again.

Women and make-up just goes together. They don't have to over-do it or spend a fortune though. But yeah, a bit of blush and lip gloss & eye shadow goes a looooong way w/ my mom and sister.

One could argue that they should be subtle and natural with it, but even if they aren't- I don't see what the big deal is.

I think campy/'over-blown' make up is actually very attractive, so maybe I'm in the minority with that one.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm curious. . . because I have seriously looked BAD sometimes when asked out. . . I'm not even wearing contacts and I have my "nerdy" glasses on. . . it doesn't make sense to me. .
    This is interesting to me. I'm not straight , but I actually prefer girls who look very pretty and maybe even almost preppy. Just really 'cute' and pretty and nice w/lots of make-up....

And I also prefer the nerdy woman look. Because it makes me think that we could have an interesting talk about anime or RPGs... maybe sailor moon idk. Like they might actually know what 'tanking' means.

I prefer either nerdy or preppy/pretty. But if a girl just looks 'too normal' I think she will be too judgmental for me not having a real job yet, so I sort of ignore her. Plus there's this insecurity and vulnerability that both pretty/nerdy girls have, that I think is attractive and approachable.

So yeah, being a nerd makes you approachable. So does being pretty. But being idk, too much in the middle....there might be this shield around you, that tells guys you don't want to be bothered. At least that's how it feels objectively. And men are very visual, and we make a lot of decisions based on how things appear (for better or for worse xP)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    there might be this shield around you, that tells guys you don't want to be bothered.
    That's explanatory.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like lipstick on women, pink to highlight the attractiveness of their lips; red is the only other but it's too 'loud', generally. Not that it isn't attractive though.

I prefer natural looks besides that, unless women hide it well and I just think they're natural. Oh yeah I don't mind a drawn marking/mole.

Basically just don't over do it to where you're not you anymore.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    I like lipstick on women, pink to highlight the attractiveness of their lips; red is the only other but it's too 'loud', generally. Not that it isn't attractive though.

I prefer natural looks besides that, unless women hide it well and I just think they're natural. Oh yeah I don't mind a drawn marking/mole.

Basically just don't over do it to where you're not you anymore.
    You have this in common with my mom. I have a natural mole and it's dark; she admires it often, looking at it and touching it; she remembers all the ones I've had (some have either faded or have scabbed off) and she recounts them by asking me or telling me "you used to have one on your cheek as a teenager, honey; right here (pointing to my cheek)."
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, in my avatar pic I am not wearing any meakup. Is it obvious? Do I look "tired"?

Anyway, every time I've tried wearing makeup, it just feels weird. I don't like it. The way I figure, if people are always used to seeing me without makeup, they'll never give a second thought to it.

My mother-in-law, on the other hand, wears makeup and the times I've seen her without it (only in her own home) she looks entirely different-- older. I don't want people to be thinking that about me.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    So, in my avatar pic I am not wearing any meakup. Is it obvious? Do I look "tired"?
    Not really from my POV. But my gf never wears make-up either. In fact I tend to immediately notice when a girl-woman is wearing make up, her skin usually way too smooth (unless she has a natural thick-darker skin).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the change from no make-up to a little make-up.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either none or heavy. The in-between is just fake.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

little or no make up is best imo.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But yeah, my point being, it doesn't seem to matter how nice I look, I seem to attract a million and one guys anyways. . . so yeah. What DOES attract a man enough to ask a girl out in the store?

I'm curious. . . because I have seriously looked BAD sometimes when asked out. . . I'm not even wearing contacts and I have my "nerdy" glasses on. . . it doesn't make sense to me. . .
    Do you dress like a slut on a daily basis? That usually attracts guys. Especially if your tits are popping out of your shirt or your skirt is too short to cover your vajayjay.

I suggest trying this look for experimentation purposes so you can see how many men you attract:

Creepy-male

I really don't care, use it or don't and I will tell you if I find you attractive.

That's my attitude...

now the entire issue of the "poor" woman having to use makeup to keep her image up in order to be accepted by men -- complete bullshit. The correct attitude to have is makeup is just a means of self-expression, either express yourself with it in whatever way you like or don't, it doesn't really matter. If men like you with it or not, that's their opinion. If being accepted by men is so important that you are willing apply makeup to yourself in a way that impresses them, then that's really your decision, so I don't see how that makes you a victim of anything but yourself.

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you dress like a slut on a daily basis? That usually attracts guys. Especially if your tits are popping out of your shirt or your skirt is too short to cover your vajayjay.

I suggest trying this look for experimentation purposes so you can see how many men you attract:

Wow. . . no.

I usually dress in a bright pink or red flowing dress, with dangling earrings and some heels that match. It's nice, but it only takes five minutes to put on. . . then I walk out the door. (Something like these: )

I don't consider any of the styles of these dresses "slutty" whatsoever.

I honestly rarely wear pants. . . so when I do, men have a tendency of staring at times. . . even though they aren't skin-tight. . . though it's only when they know me well and know that I rarely wear them.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think most men understand make-up so when they say "I prefer natural" it's more "I want you to look good naturally", that is you must look flawless naturally or wear enough make-up to look naturally flawless but not so much that it's overtly noticeable.
    Not that I blame them, people are after all programmed to be attracted to healthy looking fertile mates (and that's where make-up can be manipulative; let's just say I'm glad men can't "lie" like that )

On a similar note I think most women who wear heavy/complex make-up are doing it more for themselves and other women than to attract men. Just walking through downtown I come across a lot of young girls who do this and I can admire the creativity and detailed work that goes into some of their looks and if it makes them feel happy and self-confident, good on them

btw yellow I like your taste in fashion
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESE-C [Enneagram-2]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw yellow I like your taste in fashion

Awww. . . thanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast