Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Meta-Emotions

  1. #1
    Punk
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    TIM
    ESE
    Posts
    1,659
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Meta-Emotions

    How have you experienced meta-emotions? Would you say it's type related? How would you relate it to experience (and your type if you would like/prefer to)?

  2. #2
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I feel disgusted that I'm surprised that I'm mad about being sad about running out of chicken, I usually end up happy.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  3. #3
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,449
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What's a meta-emotion?

    nvm wikipedia article, brb with a real answer


    EDIT: hi
    Uhm, not very often? I generally indulge in the feeling I have, and anything above that is gonna be a cognitive level. I'd need to see a meta-emotion in action in order to get what it really is.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

    http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

  4. #4
    Cat King Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Posts
    736
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Usually gloss over bad emotions with their opposite, reflexively and close to instantaneously.

    Only problem one is despair, because when I start to lose hope then I get sucked down into a vicious cycle of having any hope or vision steadily eroded chunk by chunk until I just want to give in. Usually takes alcohol to keep me afloat, which probably isn't healthy, but I don't know a non-debilitating way to cope.
    Know I'm mistyped?


    Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

    DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

    Default

    Occasionally. I could see meta-emotion coming into play, for instance, at a funeral, if one were happy that someone died, but he might become disgusted at those feelings because it is not socially acceptable/they break his own moral 'code'/etc. That has never happened to me though.

  6. #6
    Hello...? somavision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I used to. I trust my first order emotions much better now, and tend to value the authenticity of those. However I'm sure there are circumstances where meta-emotions may still come into play...

    Saying that, there is one meta-emotion which I actively try to encourage within myself. It used to be a case where if I felt hate or anger or any emotion that could be considered negative, I'd feel bad about this and wonder why I wasn't able to feel positive emotions about things. There could be degrees of self loathing and resentment. I generally accept all my emotions as they are now, however I do consciously make a decision to love my negative emotions, they still play out as they do, however this way, I accept them for what they are and they last no longer than they need to.
    Last edited by somavision; 08-03-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    IEE-Ne

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LOL yeah such matters seem to be reserved for the concordant. Let them beat themselves up inside all they please... but really they just look pathetic to the rest of us.

  8. #8
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    rofl. Duh. Meta emotions are the only emotions I have. I would relate it to introversion (generally more alive to your internal world and therefore more available to judge it), Ni (self-watching; meta-cognition seems to be a common theme of Ni).

    I do nothing but react to myself. I am an echo chamber for my own mind. I sometimes react to my own sadness with disbelief. It's all about reacting in a way that allows you to affect your original emotions, or at least your overall emotional state. I do that always.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  9. #9
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am snarkily-tempted to correlate meta-emotion with higher degrees of introversion and/or intelligence, and I find that drily satisfying.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  10. #10
    Punk
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    TIM
    ESE
    Posts
    1,659
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    Occasionally. I could see meta-emotion coming into play, for instance, at a funeral, if one were happy that someone died, but he might become disgusted at those feelings because it is not socially acceptable/they break his own moral 'code'/etc. That has never happened to me though.
    That's interesting. I'm kind of trying to relate this to the Jungian ego and the dissociation between thinking and feeling. So that sounds like a type of neurosis.

    Quote Originally Posted by somavision View Post
    I used to. I trust my first order emotions much better now, and tend to value the authenticity of those. However I'm sure there are circumstances where meta-emotions may still come into play...

    Saying that, there is one meta-emotion which I actively try to encourage within myself. It used to be a case where if I felt hate or anger or any emotion that could be considered negative, I'd feel bad about this and wonder why I wasn't able to feel positive emotions about things. There could be degrees of self loathing and resentment. I generally accept all my emotions as they are now, however I do consciously make a decision to love my negative emotions, they still play out as they do, however this way, I accept them for what they are and they last no longer than they need to.
    I actually wouldn't associate meta-emotions as automatically a bad thing by nature. What you've shown here tells me that you prefer to accept and appreciate your emotions. That's really interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    LOL yeah such matters seem to be reserved for the concordant. Let them beat themselves up inside all they please... but really they just look pathetic to the rest of us.
    It's fascinating that you think this way. Without having meta-emotions, the division of thinking and feeling in the psyche would become nonexistent.

    Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    meta-cognition seems to be a common theme of Ni).
    I imagine you're right.

    Edit: Oops forgot this post

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    Usually gloss over bad emotions with their opposite, reflexively and close to instantaneously.

    Only problem one is despair, because when I start to lose hope then I get sucked down into a vicious cycle of having any hope or vision steadily eroded chunk by chunk until I just want to give in. Usually takes alcohol to keep me afloat, which probably isn't healthy, but I don't know a non-debilitating way to cope.
    Cool, so you also value your emotions overall it seems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •