Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Playing "Safe" with PoLR

  1. #1
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't dress "conservatively", but I have a fixed set of clothes I use over and over, which I know fits me well. So probably my answer is yes.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  2. #2
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    Essentially, that you play "safe" with your PoLR under circumstances in which you need to use it. ILI's play safe by being polite, LIE's by dressing conservatively, etc.

    Have you ever noticed yourself playing "safe" with your PoLR?
    I think you've got it in one. It allows me to be 'non confrontational' whilst challenging or expressing my views. Its really not my natural tendency and it takes a large effort on my part to think through what to do.

  3. #3
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't dress "conservatively", but I have a fixed set of clothes I use over and over, which I know fits me well. So probably my answer is yes.
    Same here.

  4. #4
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't dress "conservatively", but I have a fixed set of clothes I use over and over, which I know fits me well. So probably my answer is yes.
    I do the same
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  5. #5
    Self banned bionic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    gotham city
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    polr here

    I change my clothing every 2 years. I'd rather spend money on a trip than clothing since I find clothes to be a poor short term investment. I usually go for more high quality items of clothing that will last me over time because I don't like to constantly change it and it's better for long term use. When I do change clothing, I get ridiculously nervous about it and try to learn about dressing for my shape as opposed to the ultimate aesthetic. So I keep it simple in black and neutrals.

    I won't even talk about chores. I have a post-it note on my TV that says "vacuum today" and I'm doing all that I can to avoid it.

    I need to find a mexican maid...

  6. #6
    Samuel the Gabriel H. MisterNi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA.
    TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Playing "safe" with PoLR is the main reason to have at least one dual or activity in your life, to help keep it covered.

    IEE Ne Creative Type

    Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

  7. #7
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post
    Playing "safe" with PoLR is the main reason to have at least one dual or activity in your life, to help keep it covered.
    Dual yes, but activity I think would draw attention to your polr in demanding situations.

  8. #8
    Samuel the Gabriel H. MisterNi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA.
    TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post
    Playing "safe" with PoLR is the main reason to have at least one dual or activity in your life, to help keep it covered.
    Dual yes, but activity I think would draw attention to your polr in demanding situations.
    How do you figure?

    IEE Ne Creative Type

    Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

  9. #9
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post

    Dual yes, but activity I think would draw attention to your polr in demanding situations.
    How do you figure?
    Are you asking seriously? Well, I'll pretend you are. A person tends to control others activity through their seventh function, which in the case of activity partners is your polr. So your activity would tend to control your polr - I know Ive blasted ESTp's polr before, and theyve tried to hit mine which made me feel either controlled or really bad for days.

  10. #10
    Samuel the Gabriel H. MisterNi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA.
    TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post

    How do you figure?
    Are you asking seriously? Well, I'll pretend you are. A person tends to control others activity through their seventh function, which in the case of activity partners is your polr. So your activity would tend to control your polr - I know Ive blasted ESTp's polr before, and theyve tried to hit mine which made me feel either controlled or really bad for days.
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want being around anyone trying to control me through a polr hit. Being around ESFj isn't one trying to control the other. The only problems really are the typical j vs p issues which can be annoying for sure. That's an interesting idea though.

    IEE Ne Creative Type

    Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

  11. #11
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    Have you ever noticed yourself playing "safe" with your PoLR?
    I think so... maybe?

    I've always avoided being the centre of attention and have always felt uncomfortable in that role, but lately I find I am in that position so I employ a light-hearted dry wit or goofiness that matches the prevailing mood to deflect it. It works out very well!
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  12. #12
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MisterNi; From: http://www.socionics.com/rel/act.htm

    Although overall interaction between partners is nice and easy, when it comes to fulfilling everyday duties and matters together, partners usually meet with many problems. Instead of solving the problems, Activity partners tend to give advice to each other on how to solve these problems, often affecting each others weak points.

  13. #13
    Samuel the Gabriel H. MisterNi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA.
    TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    MisterNi; From: http://www.socionics.com/rel/act.htm

    Although overall interaction between partners is nice and easy, when it comes to fulfilling everyday duties and matters together, partners usually meet with many problems. Instead of solving the problems, Activity partners tend to give advice to each other on how to solve these problems, often affecting each others weak points.
    OK, but that sounds more like activity partners give each other advice on how to address shortcomings from their polr, not actively attacking it, unless it were deliberate or bad advice.

    IEE Ne Creative Type

    Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

  14. #14
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    OK, but that sounds more like activity partners give each other advice on how to address shortcomings from their polr, not actively attacking it, unless it were deliberate or bad advice.
    I suppose, but "advice" on your polr is often interpreted as an attack, bceause the polr is so defensive and sensitive to "criticism".

  15. #15
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    IMO Expat had Ni polr not Si. =p He was an ESTj who thought he was an ENTj.

    But I like his theory regardless. It makes sense intuitively. Although, other functions are working overdrive to cover up the polr anyway making 'using it' almost always a non-issue. Sort of like how if one part of your body shuts down, another part activates in higher gear. Unless you are in very specialized situations where it's required you to use it, but we value our independence too much for that.

    Polr hits are simply more common in socialist environments where personality conflicts are more inevitable. ((Like a group therapy session, or talking specifically about psychological issues...)) This would include message boards as well.

  16. #16
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can't think of how to "play safe" with Te in a way that's both effective and doesn't actually require using Te, so I don't think I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  17. #17
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    But surely we've all been in situations where the use of our PoLR is required, and failed to use it properly? I wonder if one would be inclined to protect it by having a basic level of competency in it...
    I think I try to cover it with Ti and Fe, rather than actually using Te.

    e.g.

    Need to learn a lot of specific information - try to link them to some sort of overarching Ti concept, and try to understand that thoroughly enough to derive the specific information from. If that doesn't work, turn it into a perverted mnemonic.

    Talking about finances and world news and other adult shit I don't want to know about - try to change the subject to gossip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  18. #18
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't dress "conservatively", but I have a fixed set of clothes I use over and over, which I know fits me well. So probably my answer is yes.
    Ditto.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    But surely we've all been in situations where the use of our PoLR is required, and failed to use it properly? I wonder if one would be inclined to protect it by having a basic level of competency in it...
    I think I try to cover it with Ti and Fe, rather than actually using Te.

    e.g.

    Need to learn a lot of specific information - try to link them to some sort of overarching Ti concept, and try to understand that thoroughly enough to derive the specific information from. If that doesn't work, turn it into a perverted mnemonic.

    Talking about finances and world news and other adult shit I don't want to know about - try to change the subject to gossip.
    Yeah, I've always thought people dance around the POLR via the creative and HA, both of which can apply to a ignificant amount of related tasks.

  20. #20
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,728
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I live with my activity, and he does have the annoying habit of hitting my PoLR for idle conversation. So to "play it safe," I hardly ever talk to him anymore. I don't think there's ever a situation where I need to use .

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I live with my activity, and he does have the annoying habit of hitting my PoLR for idle conversation. So to "play it safe," I hardly ever talk to him anymore.:.
    WIN!

    I think you can get through life fine missing any one element.

  22. #22
    not gonna be around as much anymore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can do easy math...Or, I'll try to figure out a way to break down a complex equation/problem into smaller components; when I can't do this, or can't find someone else willing to do it for me, I give up.

    I also "cheat" a lot when doing puzzles like Sudoku, or Cross-sums, etc. I just don't want to think that hard.

    On the other hand, I love challenges involving strategy, rather than logic.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •