Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Types as a Survival Strategy

  1. #1
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,703
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Types as a Survival Strategy

    In the end, I think psychological types are merely survival strategies devised by nature to ensure you survive and reproduce. The way you act is merely an outer reflection of that overall strategy. The reason they're so different is because in order for society to be the most productive, personalities must be designed to be better at certain things, while being worse at others. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Raver; 07-31-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  2. #2
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This seems kind of obvious.

  3. #3
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,703
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    This seems kind of obvious.
    I'm completely aware of that. The goal of this thread was not to state some incredible new insight, but to look at personalities from a different perspective.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  4. #4
    Anglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Posts
    1,354
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Disagree. It's because god made mistake.

  5. #5
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,703
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglas View Post
    Disagree. It's because god made mistake.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  6. #6
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    This seems kind of obvious.
    I'm completely aware of that. The goal of this thread was not to state some incredible new insight, but to look at personalities from a different perspective.
    ok

  7. #7
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    In the end, I think psychological types are merely survival strategies devised by nature to ensure you survive and reproduce. The way you act is merely an outer reflection of that overall strategy. The reason they're so different is because in order for society to be the most productive, personalities must be designed to be better at certain things, while being worse at others. Any thoughts on this?
    It's an idea worth exploring, but do disparate personality types really employ equally successful survival strategies? Seems to me they wouldn't, keeping in mind that specialization is a relatively recent phenomenon in human evolution.

    Assuming there is a correlation in the first place, I'd offer that technological and societal progression has opened up previously inaccesible 'personality niches'.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  8. #8
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,703
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    It's an idea worth exploring, but do disparate personality types really employ equally successful survival strategies? Seems to me they wouldn't, keeping in mind that specialization is a relatively recent phenomenon in human evolution.
    I see your point, some types are more beneficial in survival than other, but that is highly dependent on the kind of society you're living in. Perhaps genetics just takes a gamble with a personality type.

    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    Assuming there is a correlation in the first place, I'd offer that technological and societal progression has opened up previously inaccesible 'personality niches'.
    Perhaps, it has resulted in certain personality types that were previously the minority are now becoming much more prominent as a result.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  9. #9
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wouldn't the most beneficial arrangement be if our brains were configured so that there were only two types, A and B, and all men were A and all women were B, and As were good at, say, all Nx and Tx and Bss were good at all Sx and Fx?

    Then there would still be the drive to dualise, and any male/female combination would be ideal, and we wouldn't be in this stupid situation where only 6.25% of people you meet of the opposite gender are going to be your dual and provide ideal psychological conditions for procreation, and you would be an ideal fit for 50% of jobs rather than 6.25%.

    I agree with Anglas, personality psychology is one of those places where evolution screws up, unless you think of it as Nature's way of controlling exponential population growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  10. #10
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Same conclusion, opposite approach.

    Rather that approaching it holistically (society requires x for the society to succeed), I approach it individually (individuals much specialize in order to survive). But yes, I do consider type a reflection of the fundamental necessity of the human brain to specialize (in the psychic/mental area, Nietzsche would call it a reflection of the human need to limit information or to avoid the truth; Freud would call it the drive against increased sensation I suppose the death drive). I've detailed that opinion in a metaphor I posted a while back about robots and mountains and shit.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Wouldn't the most beneficial arrangement be if our brains were configured so that there were only two types, A and B, and all men were A and all women were B, and As were good at, say, all Nx and Tx and Bss were good at all Sx and Fx?

    Then there would still be the drive to dualise, and any male/female combination would be ideal, and we wouldn't be in this stupid situation where only 6.25% of people you meet of the opposite gender are going to be your dual and provide ideal psychological conditions for procreation, and you would be an ideal fit for 50% of jobs rather than 6.25%.

    I agree with Anglas, personality psychology is one of those places where evolution screws up, unless you think of it as Nature's way of controlling exponential population growth.
    Problem: If you have both TI and Te as ego elements, you simultaneously need and avoid both Fi and Fe. You'd probably snap. Besides, we need STs and NFs too...

  12. #12
    24601 ClownsandEntropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Igxfl View Post
    Problem: If you have both TI and Te as ego elements, you simultaneously need and avoid both Fi and Fe. You'd probably snap. Besides, we need STs and NFs too...
    I'm assuming that's what he meant: if only evolution had allowed us to use both Ti and Te when the situation called for it, and be able to accept both ethical elements. And all NFs are useless.
    Warm Regards,



    Clowns & Entropy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •