Thread: The Mind and Functions

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default The Mind and Functions

I'm sure I've done this thread before, but don't want to spend too much digging for it. The question I am asking is assuming functions exist in reality in some form, in what part of the mind would a specific function manifest as? For instance, can you get one specific function and attribute it to a specific region of the brain? Perhaps it is much more complex and the function would manifest itself as a multi-faceted collaboration between several regions of the brain. I'm just curious if anyone here has any information or ideas on this?
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I remember reading something about this subject. I also remember being totally unconvinced of the "evidence" for certain functions to be in particular brain parts. We're not there yet technologically and I don't know if we ever will be or if the functions even truly exist.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You make a lot of threads.

Also I don't know. I can't even begin to guess.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    You make a lot of threads.

Also I don't know. I can't even begin to guess.
    I've always made a lot of threads, anyone here who's known me when I was active over four years ago is aware of this. I just prefer to create discussion rather than participate in other discussions. I think I posted more threads consistently in the past than I do today.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I remember talking with Dimitri Lytov a little when he came on this forum and he said that there was, at that point some correlation between the regions of the brain and functions, though developments have yet to be made.

Also, there is a more recent diagram on this site about it:http://forum.socionix.com/topic/3920...sonality-type/

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I'm sure I've done this thread before, but don't want to spend too much digging for it. The question I am asking is assuming functions exist in reality in some form, in what part of the mind would a specific function manifest as? For instance, can you get one specific function and attribute it to a specific region of the brain? Perhaps it is much more complex and the function would manifest itself as a multi-faceted collaboration between several regions of the brain. I'm just curious if anyone here has any information or ideas on this?
    I once posted two links where they had made catscans of the brain and indicating different functions etc.

I can't find the links anymore, but when I do, I'll post them here.

More people probably know what I'm referring to.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

There is Benziger's model, Lenore's model, and if you go to Google Scholar and do a search for MBTI you'll see a many articles published trying to correlate various personality factors and behaviors to MBTI functions, example. I found this series of videos some time ago. Plus there does seem to exist a correlation between MBTI functions and Big 5 model where Big 5 has much more empirical backing going for it. Some more stuff about it written in this thread. Although a lot of people will claim that Socionics and MBTI are not the same thing, I believe that they are trying to describe same underlying phenomena so studies done on MBTI should translate to Socionics functions. Problem is that in a lot of MBTI studies they don't make distinctions between extraverted and introverted versions of functions, so for example they'd group NFs together not making any distinctions between Beta and Delta NFs, so their results are not very trustworthy.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

IMO, intuitors have more connections between neurons whereas sensors have less connections, therefore the latter are less likely to understand abstract ideas.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

In hard-nosed people, the left brain hemisphere dominates
    In creative people, the right brain hemisphere dominates
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    LOL U R wrong. Thats obselete science.

EDIT: now that I think of it its the correlation between right handedness and the left hemishphere of the brain, left handedness and the right hemisphere o the brain that I know is obselete, not what you were saying.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, intuitors have more connections between neurons whereas sensors have less connections, therefore the latter are less likely to understand abstract ideas.
    Tell me you're trolling. Because if you're not, that's a really stupid thing to say.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's totally empty though. I know I just don't "see" abstract things unless I can tie them back to reality.

It's not related to brain networking or creativity though, because I'm still highly creative. A simple sanity check: if your theory held, S/N would be sex-related, with the densely packed brains of females causing them to be Ns, and the less densely-packed brains of males causing them to be Ss.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    LOL U R wrong. Thats obselete science.

EDIT: now that I think of it its the correlation between right handedness and the left hemishphere of the brain, left handedness and the right hemisphere o the brain that I know is obselete, not what you were saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Tell me you're trolling. Because if you're not, that's a really stupid thing to say.
    Perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, there is a thing called "brainstorming", which consists of putting forward all the ideas you have in mind, and then discussing whether or not they make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstorming

Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    I don't think it's totally empty though. I know I just don't "see" abstract things unless I can tie them back to reality.

It's not related to brain networking or creativity though, because I'm still highly creative. A simple sanity check: if your theory held, S/N would be sex-related, with the densely packed brains of females causing them to be Ns, and the less densely-packed brains of males causing them to be Ss.
    Whatever it is, there is prolly a relationship between the number of connections between neurons and IQ/EQ/Socionics type
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have any proof for this? An article of any kind?

Whatever it is, there is prolly a relationship between the number of connections between neurons and IQ/EQ/Socionics type
    There may be a relationship with IQ, not sure about EQ, and probably not Socionics type.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only functions of measurement used by the brain are neurotransmitters. As such priorities are also a neurotransmission effect. However we should caution that the socionics functions have multiple facets involving multiple information elements. There is an Fi part to the functions, and an Fe part, and a logical part as well.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    LOL he's just trying to put an idea into a system, a box and that's just, well, a theory, but not a very good one. LOL
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

yeah and neurons of ethical types are generally more ethical ... like they don't kill or abuse other proximal neurons

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    yeah and neurons of ethical types are generally more ethical ... like they don't kill or abuse other proximal neurons
    1) LOL
    2) Seriously, Gamma SF DO ABUSE people
    ILE "Searcher"