Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HSP - Highly Sensitive People?

Hey,

Anyone seen this article?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...nd-sensitivity

Sounds like INFx. Found the article from an INFj's fb page, but I relate to it also in many ways. I think it could lead into some good discussion of how in many ways both INF types sort of fit an emotional/poetic/sensitive stereotype, but cope with it and experience it in very different ways.

Thoughts?
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    EIE (-Ni?)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you read the full article? It isn't online yet as it's in the current issue, but it's quite good.

And yes, I relate very much (though to be honest I feel this excerpt, at least the "attention-grabbing" intro, makes HSPs sound a bit nuts. Not to say it isn't accurate, but I hope my sensitivity is not obvious to *everyone*... though I daresay it often is).

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, I saw this same sort of thing in Delta a while back. Very interesting stuff, does sound very stereotypically IXFx at first glance.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I think it's more broadly IF than INF.

Both my ISFj mother and myself are HSP, and I suspect that's actually genetics at play, because I've inherited her anxiety and hypervigilance/overarousal or whatever it's called. We also share low latent inhibition.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm.

Also theoretically points to a genetic basis for type. However, the nature/nurture combo is also at work here; a genetic disposition towards HSP can probably be tipped in the direction of any INF type, or any IF type, and less likely (like 9:3:3:1, lol), towards IT and EF types by environment; at least that's what makes sense to me.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe, I could see a lot of ethical types having it, or at least relating to it, but IEI/EII are probably more debilitated by it (with Te and Se being the weakest strengths, and Ni+Fi being the strongest)
    I would think this is why they tend to have the hardest time taking initiative with theirs lives being consumed with these self-absorbed thoughts and feelings that make the realities of life seem that much more unobtainable.

It's something that at least caused me a lot of problems in life, but I've learned ways of dealing with it through the years. As silly as it may sound, trying to stay focused on doing things productively that don't allow me to drift my thoughts inwards has helped a lot. When I don't have anything I could be doing I rationalize the "need" to do something that will keep me detached from those thoughts
    Not to disrespect the beauty of how it all works though, since like you said, people who tend to be like this can often create magnificent works of art and literature as well as be great humanitarians, but I think a lot of people who manifest those feelings towards outlets like that can end-up destroying themselves by enveloping themselves with all those feelings, than again for others it could be cathartic
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A big for those people that fall under the realm of HSP; I doubt that I am one myself, I'm more or less oblivious to layers in a piece of music that lots of other people seem to pick up, or subtleties like that; I'll be more or less attuned to what's going on emotionally, and things that are completely verbally unstated, but I don't usually get too swept away (I don't think), unless it's like a certain song or something, that can totally be like a thing and all...

If I'm around animals, they usually cluster as close to me as they possibly can, even if they never got to meet me before... my favorite time was when I got to walk near cows (we were unfortunately separated by a fence), they all came towards me slowly and walked along side of me, I could tell they found me somewhat interesting and friendly

I can have some pretty wild ups and downs and bursts of uncontrolled motivation, but rarely do things get too "deep" and stew around too much before I have to physically do something about it...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'd notice a curled up leaf, but I wouldn't cry about it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I'd notice a curled up leaf, but I wouldn't cry about it.
    I bet you could walk home in the rain without stepping in any puddles either, you LSE, you.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. I'm torn on this; I would offhand attribute this sort of thing to Fi, because it involves internal emotional responses to external things. However, the examples that were given are deeply rooted in Fe; an uncurled leaf has an objective emotional message of despair, recognizing emotional states in others so powerfully that they take over the individual themselves - these shed confusion on the specific functional relation. I see both, tbh; an individual who sees an external object and 'takes in' its objective emotional aspects so powerfully that it literally consumes the individual and throws them in that emotional direction - that would be Fe. An individual who produces strong internal emotional responses to these external objects who pays little attention to their objective emotional qualities (e.g. an uncurled flower may not necessarily evoke despair) but is still profoundly affected internally would be Fi.

I think it could be both. I can see its relationship to ethics, but I am unable to see the connection to N and it is most certainly not connected to Te/Se, although easily connected to Si and possibly to Ti.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In theory, that would be Fe and Ne. In practice, I saw hypersensibility mostly in IEEs, EIEs, SEIs and few others, usually Ep's. That "I'm an exposed nerve" would make a good adjective for a lot of IEEs I know. An IEE friend was so sensitive that (besides reactivity) he could not stand being touched at all, for instance if he bought a new jacket and you wanted to touch its material.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    In theory, that would be Fe and Ne. In practice, I saw hypersensibility mostly in IEEs, EIEs, SEIs and few others, usually Ep's. That "I'm an exposed nerve" would make a good adjective for a lot of IEEs I know. An IEE friend was so sensitive that (besides reactivity) he could not stand being touched at all, for instance if he bought a new jacket and you wanted to touch its material.
    I think you're describing a sensitivity with the nervous system, HSP is referring to sensitivity in the emotional/psychological sense
    EII INFj

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not really. It's sort of all interconnected. If you are sensitive physically/physiologically you will also most likely be sensitive emotionally and 'psychologically' as well. It's just all interrelated to describe somebody who is genuinely, well... sensitive. (the HSP author talks a lot about people who are scaredy cats about loud noises and how 'busy' american society is., etc.)

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imo, HSP is a fashion phenomena. Not that the phenomena described do not exist, but the HSP-diagnosis is actually a rationalization created by Elaine N. Aron to mask neurotic or even pathological qualities, to turn these neuroses and pathologies into something the HSP should be proud of. A person diagnosing themselves as an HSP, is often actually saying: "I can't help it, I'm an HSP!" The truth is, they actually can help it: they need to learn to focus more on getting their own needs met instead of focusing on other people.

For those interested in an alternative view on HSP, see the paragraph on the Self-Sacrife Schema in Schema Therapy, A practitioner's Guide, pages 246-251.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I think you're describing a sensitivity with the nervous system, HSP is referring to sensitivity in the emotional/psychological sense
    He was both. Indeed maybe I can't say that reacting at being touched can be called "his peak" of reactivity or something, but that's how he feels like.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    the HSP author talks a lot about people who are scaredy cats about loud noises and how 'busy' american society is., etc.
    I can identify that in the most SEIs I know. However the type in the OP article seems to me like describing a different one, because I can distinguish both IRL (sometimes they are present in the same person). At least this is how I interpreted this article and the key to this difference was mentioning "anger", which is not a pattern in the others. I have no idea whether the HSP author deals with both, though, I'm just talking about what you wrote.
    Not really. It's sort of all interconnected. If you are sensitive physically/physiologically you will also most likely be sensitive emotionally and 'psychologically' as well. It's just all interrelated to describe somebody who is genuinely, well... sensitive.
    I should mention that I'm sensitive myself, too, and yes, it connects to physical sensitivity. For instance I refuse very hot, spicy, salted, cold food and drink, and anything extreme. I get tickled very easily, too. Nevertheless, I'm not *that* sensitive, I'm not disturbed by noise or pressure, neither do I get angry without a reason (I'm emotionally consistent). So I guess I have this hypersensitivity in myself just it doesn't go too far and never changes my mood, exactly like the effect of thunder or crackers usually have: you react on the moment then you mind your own business like nothing happened.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Imo, HSP is a fashion phenomena. Not that the phenomena described do not exist, but the HSP-diagnosis is actually a rationalization created by Elaine N. Aron to mask neurotic or even pathological qualities, to turn these neuroses and pathologies into something the HSP should be proud of. A person diagnosing themselves as an HSP, is often actually saying: "I can't help it, I'm an HSP!" The truth is, they actually can help it: they need to learn to focus more on getting their own needs met instead of focusing on other people.

For those interested in an alternative view on HSP, see the paragraph on the Self-Sacrife Schema in Schema Therapy, A practitioner's Guide, pages 246-251.
    I agree with you on how some neurotic labels are often used as a means to feel special and entitled (just saw the HSP main website and it sounds like a VIP club)
    Having or relating to these labels, and I'll include Socionics in here too, is fine as long as it's not used as a means to feel superior or entitled towards the benefits and faults that could be associated with them.
    I sort of see them more as a tool to self-understanding rather than an excuse to not improve your situation.

He was both. Indeed maybe I can't say that reacting at being touched can be called "his peak" of reactivity or something, but that's how he feels like.
    oic, I thought it was just a physical reactionary thing, my bad
    EII INFj

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I sort of see them more as a tool to self-understanding rather than an excuse to not improve your situation.
    If you were born with genetics that caused you to be extra-sensitive to loud noises, busy traffic and bright lights etc., how in the world could you actually improve your situation, since you can't exactly change the world to suit your emotional needs? You could say 'they could just choose to live someplace really quiet' but not everybody has the money to do that...

I sorta have a feeling the author is kind of a stuck up narcissistic bitch who is feeding off of other people's fears and insecurities to make more money for herself, like most 'self-help' charlatans but perhaps my view of human nature is too bleak. =p I used to enjoy the HSP thing myself and then yeah, after awhile it just started to feel really silly like 'Oh please you'd build up your tolerance to almost anything if you just exposed yourself a little more.'

I also feel that, in general, the HSP movement could possibly be a benign thing to make people feel comfortable with their weaknesses/sensitivity to things. Sort of like that common spiritual message about not being afraid to be weak, and not being too proud to be strong.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 07-21-2011 at 10:07 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can identify that in the most SEIs I know.
    Yeah, I get afraid of social things happening that I don't like, but the 'sensitive person' thing seems to be more of the person who is afraid of 'loud things' and things that activate their physical senses as well as their intuitive emotions. I honestly wonder if they just need to meditate instead of create a label for themselves that kinda makes them as victims not responsible for their own actions. That is very tempting for anybody to do, and ultimately is the easy way out.

Still, I objectively agree that american society is too fat, loud, ignorant, annoying, extroverted and homophobic straight man-ish and people need to take a ****** chill pill. =D

"WOULD YOU LIKE ANOTHER HAPPY MEAL TO GO WITH YOUR MAN BOOBS TODAY SIR?" lol hahahahhaa.

stupid selfish smelly slobby non sexual ugly dumb ignorant lazy stupid bully weak cowardly warmongering AMERICAN lolz.

(I miss Krae!)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the HSP descriptions have resonated with me through the years. I don't know if I just share common traits or actually am HS, though.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trust me, I am HSP, and it is one and the same.

Ever since i was a kid, I was made fun of for flinching easily. I just can't help it. I flinch a lot. And I cannot stand a lot of overt sensory inputz. And I am oh so emo
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    Some of the HSP descriptions have resonated with me through the years. I don't know if I just share common traits or actually am HS, though.
    INTp HSP? sorry girl, we are an elite club.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Creepy-male

It doesn't really relate exactly to the OP, but as an aside, it really annoys me when people use the term: "Highly Sensitive People". It kind of establishes this idea that their is a particular correct or valid degree to be sensitive and people who exceed that are abnormal.

Sure statistically there is variability to how sensitive people are, but establishing the average level as the "correct" level is really what annoys me. The correct level is dependent on all sorts of factors related to the individuals psychological make up, their is no universal correct answer, only a correct answer for an individual.

Hence why it annoys me to no end to hear the pop phrase, "You over-react, you are over-sensitive, you are a de-sensitized jerk, you are too relaxed..." and so forth. In fact I've been told conflicting accounts from different people on where I lie in terms on what's correct. Really the only truth in their statements is that I'm reacting more than they would prefer, or I'm reacting less than they would prefer.... or etc etc. Their is no problem with that, but I believe certain people actually believe in their heads that their is a correct level of emotionality to be at. I mean just consider all the disorders and psychological diseases that people get drugged up for, all based on the fact they are considered to have abnormally high levels of sensitivity or so forth. It's all a huge fallacy of conformity, emotionality isn't a one size fits all baseball cap.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Kam View Post

Ever since i was a kid, I was made fun of for flinching easily. I just can't help it. I flinch a lot. And I cannot stand a lot of overt sensory inputz. And I am oh so emo
    I can't stand overly sensory inputs either.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EIE (-Ni?)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1

I flinch internally a lot; not so much externally anymore.

As a kid I flinched a lot too, but I didn't like people commenting on it (other kids, mostly) and trained myself not to show the flinch. Now it's amusing to me when others flinch at a sound that I heard and identified as no big deal a split second before they seem to have even realized it was there.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were born with genetics that caused you to be extra-sensitive to loud noises, busy traffic and bright lights etc., how in the world could you actually improve your situation, since you can't exactly change the world to suit your emotional needs? You could say 'they could just choose to live someplace really quiet' but not everybody has the money to do that... I sorta have a feeling the author is kind of a stuck up narcissistic bitch who is feeding off of other people's fears and insecurities to make more money for herself, like most 'self-help' charlatans but perhaps my view of human nature is too bleak. =p I used to enjoy the HSP thing myself and then yeah, after awhile it just started to feel really silly like 'Oh please you'd build up your tolerance to almost anything if you just exposed yourself a little more.'

I also feel that, in general, the HSP movement could possibly be a benign thing to make people feel comfortable with their weaknesses/sensitivity to things. Sort of like that common spiritual message about not being afraid to be weak, and not being too proud to be strong.
    "Extra sensitive" is sort of difficult to validate since how can it really be measured? I guess if it could the best way to do so would be measuring how much it debilitates your abilities to tolerate it, like someone who cannot leave their home or goes into uncontrollable panic attacks at the occurrence of them.
    In those cases I would presume it would require some sort of profession help.

What I was more referring to in my last post is about not allowing yourself to deteriorate from self-pity, that is "I've identified myself with this label, so I'll give-up and let it control me and blame it for all my inabilities and failures in life" sort of mentality that some people actually take pride in (like the HSP site I was referring to)
    EII INFj

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, heightened sensitivity can be very easily measured by stress response (with things like skin conductance and pulse rate). Someone like me has really extreme stress reactions to very tiny things, like sharp labels or an itch in my leg.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    It doesn't...baseball cap.
    N-EII ~~~ 6>1 sp/so ~~~ INFJ

No type is smarter, better, more difficult to handle, or harder to be than another.

Personality theory doesn’t predict what a person will think or do.

Any type in one theory can be any type in another.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    INTp HSP? sorry girl, we are an elite club.
    You're joking, right? You know INTps are one of the most sensitive types, right?

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Nanashi is definitely in the club at least

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took this test once and answered yes to nearly all the questions and there's no way I'm NF or SF