View Poll Results: Are you a tolerant person?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 28.00%
  • Depends on ...

11 44.00%
  • No

6 24.00%
  • Yes but only at work

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a tolerant person?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you a tolerant person?

Just interesting how a tolerance relates to socionics type. When i am talking about a tolerance here I mean being a tolerant to people you don't like due some reasons or by instinctively.
    Feel free to correct my English

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeySnowballer View Post
    When i am talking about a tolerance here I mean being a tolerant to people you don't like due some reasons or by instinctively.
    I'm not tolerant going by this.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i didnt know how to answer yes or no and i think the question could be interpreted a lot of different ways.

sometimes i instinctively dislike someone for no good reason and in those situations i'll probably ignore and avoid them as much as feasible. sometimes i dislike someone for a tangible reason and in those cases i might either ignore them as much as feasible or make it known depending on the circumstances.

sometimes i dislike someone but i'm not sure if i should and/or don't feel entirely justified in disliking them, so i try giving them a chance. but what usually ends up happening in these cases is i end up leaking out resentment and making things worse than if i had just dismissed them in the first place. but i suppose you could call this an attempt to be tolerant, although its not usually successful.

so what exactly does it mean to be tolerant? if i don't like someone i might maintain a facade or i might not, depending on the circumstances. but that doesn't really seem the same as tolerance. isn't having dislikes to begin with "intolerance" of some people? i guess i don't really get the question.

till now i tried to be as tolerant as possible with strangers aka people beyond my first degree family because i thought that it could pay off sometime.however,i realized that i was bottling it up and it was paralyzing.as a result, nowadays, i can go easier into bitch mode towards strangers and be more mellow with my family.blooming ESI?only future will tell.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to be; others frequently annoy me.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I have to be honest: No

Although I generally am very tolerant (even passive) with people close to me and/or that I like. I'm increasingly assholish otherwise.

Also I am tolerant of weird things in people. Like if someone is terribly introverted and grumpy, I will usually like him/her. If someone is terribly friendly, outgoing and overall perfect, I might be lukewarm.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Poor FDG.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Poor FDG.
    Lol no, I like myself this way

/end megalomania

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

Also for me the tolerance is intimately linked with my Judicious function. By moving away from Judicious function i am becoming less and less tolerate and viceversa. I wonder how common this is.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surface tolerance yes, but inside a lot of people irritate me a lot, so I avoid them or secretly keep my distance.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I have to be; others frequently annoy me.
    ah, i hadn't thought of it in terms of how tolerant i am toward people i actually like who are bothering me, hah.

when i'm getting to know someone it can be really easy to smooth over differences bc of wanting a connection if i like them...maybe 9 merging, maybe just human, i dont know. so i'm more likely both to be more cognizant of being bothered and more vocal about being bothered the more close to and comfortable with someone i feel. i'm easily annoyed but i'm easily forgiving, if i like someone.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm, it depends on both what I'm tolerating and how necessary I deem it to be tolerated. My mood also has a lot to do with it.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(ILE here) ...depends on what the matter is. When accepting something also means accepting untruth/contradictory/nonsensical, I can't tolerate that, even if it's not something about me. Eg:

- "Make room because I wanna pass" - "Fine"
    - "Make room because I'm an angel from Heaven" - "No"

I simply can't tolerate falsehood, so if people want my acceptance without forcing me to acknowledge crap, I'm fine. This is why I have troubles taking a position regarding Dalai Lama VS Chinese, Holobonga VS Nazi, minarets VS Church, feminism VS sexism, etc - there's always some bullshit bulked together with ideas that are often essentially fair. I appear paradoxical because of this - allegedly "switching sides" - to people who have no idea what the problem actually is. Being so judicious (case-by-case, piece-by-piece), the very idea of labeling myself as "tolerant" or not forces me into an obvious compromise I prefer not to do in the first place.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    (ILE here) ...depends on what the matter is. When accepting something also means accepting untruth/contradictory/nonsensical, I can't tolerate that, even if it's not something about me. Eg:

- "Make room because I wanna pass" - "Fine"
    - "Make room because I'm an angel from Heaven" - "No"

I simply can't tolerate falsehood, so if people want my acceptance without forcing me to acknowledge crap, I'm fine. This is why I have troubles taking a position regarding Dalai Lama VS Chinese, Holobonga VS Nazi, minarets VS Church, feminism VS sexism, etc - there's always some bullshit bulked together with ideas that are often essentially fair. I appear paradoxical because of this - allegedly "switching sides" - to people who have no idea what the problem actually is. Being so judicious (case-by-case, piece-by-piece), the very idea of labeling myself as "tolerant" or not forces me into an obvious compromise I prefer not to do in the first place.
    Yes, I agree. Except I'll say it much more simply. I hate fake people and I won't hesitate to stop supporting someone whom I perceive to be fake. Other than that, yes I'm tolerant.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is too general and raises other questions. To what extent must you tolerate other beliefs or actions in order to be dubbed the title 'tolerable'? It sounds like you're tolerable in this topic if you don't give someone the finger if they vaguely deviate from your values.

It seems to me that one who is truly tolerant would outwardly give no system merit over another, making no claim to justice over others in any applicable sense of the word, as they would preserve a relativistic model of value regarding people's differing beliefs/morals that arise from their personal feelings.

Under that model, I am not tolerant and cannot resolve why I should be, as I cannot yet justify allowing extreme crime in the name of some glorified system of tolerance.

EDIT; oye, typo on tolerable -> tolerant, thanks xP
    Last edited by Skeptic; 07-18-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    It seems to me that one who is truly tolerable would outwardly give no system merit over another, making no claim to justice over others in any applicable sense of the word, as they would preserve a relativistic model of value regarding people's differing beliefs/morals that arise from their personal feelings.
    I'm sure the OP meant tolerant, and not tolerable. Also, I think it's important to realize that systems/models are merely estimations of reality and at the end of the day, the individual chooses which system best fits reality either through introspection and observation or through empirical methods.

Under that model, I am not tolerable and cannot resolve why I should be, as I cannot yet justify allowing extreme crime in the name of some glorified system of tolerance.
    I agree with you, surprisingly enough.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post
    Under that model, I am not tolerable and cannot resolve why I should be, as I cannot yet justify allowing extreme crime in the name of some glorified system of tolerance.
    Lol do you agree with the meaning the typo creates or the original intent of the post
    |

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tolerant of what, exactly? Whatever the case, the answer is probably "yes", so I'm going with that
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Tolerant of other's petty mistakes...yes I am.

An ENTj friend once told me that a person who has faith in the Lord is one who he believes has a heart to forgive, to forgive others of their petty mistakes and of him, who he feels can sometime be tyrannic in his pursuits. I see how Fi base types adhere to religious systems and it is mostly in acceptance and tolerance of differences in other human beings.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post

An ENTj friend once told me that a person who has faith in the Lord is one who he believes has a heart to forgive, to forgive others of their petty mistakes and of him, who he feels can sometime be tyrannic in his pursuits. I see how Fi base types adhere to religious systems and it is mostly in acceptance and tolerance of differences in other human beings.
    I'd disown him(her) from the ENTj badge of honor. Are you sure he(she) wasn't joking?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post

I'd disown him(her) from the ENTj badge of honor. Are you sure he(she) wasn't joking?
    This isn't a joke, in pursuit of Te, work and gathering objective facts, an LSE or LIE is very likely to ignore their own feelings and the feelings of other individuals, sometimes not purposefully and pursue their goals of success in whatever profession with tyrannic efforts. This involves ignoring people's emotional pleas because they are not convinced and moved my emotions, this makes them even more aggressive and cold.
    The best course of action in such a situation is to leave the person alone.
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under that model, I am not tolerant and cannot resolve why I should be, as I cannot yet justify allowing extreme crime in the name of some glorified system of tolerance.
    This is my attitude. :/ Why should I compromise my beliefs to validate others' hurtful behavior?

I doubt the OP intended that...I'm just explaining why I wouldn't call myself tolerant of things I don't like.
    N-EII ~~~ 6>1 sp/so ~~~ INFJ

No type is smarter, better, more difficult to handle, or harder to be than another.

Personality theory doesn’t predict what a person will think or do.

Any type in one theory can be any type in another.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Aren't you contradicting yourself? If you actually don't like somebody, you're not really being tolerant with them, you just don't like them.... so I'm not sure I understand what you are even asking lol.

I guess you sorta HAVE to be tolerant with people in the world, short of trying to get them removed. But that's quite messy and you'd have to think on how to get away with it. You'd have to find someway to make them a very easy target, really socially isolate them and cut off their social ties from the people that actually care about them and would protect them....I can imagine what a sociopath/psychopath thinks about all day long to kill their victims but to me that's just so draining!

Being intolerant is not very socially accepting, nobody should ask us to love or even respect people but if we can't even tolerate them that's something inside of us that we should probably change??? That seems like pre-sociopathy to me. Not really full-blown lack of empathy but you're on the verge. Sorta like how there's pre-cancerous cells in some bodies, that's like pre-sociopath. =D

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very intolerant

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post

Lol do you agree with the meaning the typo creates or the original intent of the post
    Either, both or neither depending on how everything plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I'm very intolerant
    Why's that?

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No. If I cant stand someone ill internally resent that person until I find some way of venting my anger and/or getting revenge, the latter is usually more therapeutic.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I'd consider myself as having extremely low patience...which can seem somewhat the same as being intolerant.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

fuck tolerance

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are so many things about people that I hate.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The title of this thread is intolerable.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

it´s very creative .... Verb instead of Adjective ... totally posh.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    There are so many things about people that I hate.
    <3
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can't really bring myself to consciously hate/disapprove of someone...it never feels justified.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    I can't really bring myself to consciously hate/disapprove of someone...it never feels justified.
    +1

I tend to try and 'justify' people in my eyes through trying to switch my perspective and figure out why someone is acting a certain way. This usually makes me feel rather sympathetic towards some people who annyoed me. If I can't find a reason to justify their behaviour and don't understand it, then I tend to take the "to each their own" approach and sail away to nicer places. I don't want bad emotions sticking with me and actively fight against it. Otherwise I imagine it would feel like dragging a huge (growing) bag of emotional rubbish with me everywhere I went. When someone creates 'drama' everywhere they go, then I guess it's because they're dragging such a huge bag of unresolved emotions with them. I just don't want that in my life.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I really couldn't vote. I have this whole complicated definition of tolerance in my head. I suppose I don't tolerate (for long) much. I either accept person/situation as it is without judgement or I don't. I accept when I don't want to accept something too so no I don't tolerate.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the most part, yup.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't tend to form judgements easily, and I'm constantly aware that there is more to a story/situation/person than I'm aware of, so I tend to keep things open. However, there are certain triggers that when clicked, allows me to put my foot down or stand up against someone/someaction, or delete a person from my life.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast