Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Advanced Sensation vs Primitive Intuition

  1. #1
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,692
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Advanced Sensation vs. Primitive Intuition

    I just want to say that before anyone reads this theory, I am not saying intuition is better than sensation or vice versa. I am merely saying that they are different and nothing more or less.

    One could make the judgement that sensation has been around a lot longer when we look back to our ancestors than intuition. That intuition emerged later on in our evolution, but was a lot more raw and primitive. By this time, sensation was already highly developed and complex. Intuition is probably an experiment by nature, a mutation if anything and a big gamble.

    It is no mystery, that sensors outnumber intuitives and have been able to pass on their genes much easier than them because of their distinct advantages. It all averages out to about the same in the end, our brain can only handle a primitive form of intuition or a highly complex form of sensation. Any comments on this theory?
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  2. #2
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,692
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    All of this is wrong.
    Thanks for the in-depth analysis.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  3. #3
    ഗന᎕ᒹ ±ᗉᚔXᙂഗ woofwoofl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Posts
    1,905
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    What the butts? I'm around Intuitives all the time! I'm pretty much buried up to my neck in EIEs as of late... all in all though, I think it's a pretty even split...

    Intuition is just the other side of sensing, I think; even something as mystical sounding as can reveal itself in as workaday terms as "I know where this is going...", and I see no reason for this type of perception to be separate from and all that is gathered from it, it's just a matter of which side of the axis gets paid more mind (same with all functional axes - the Te-ILIs Timmy and nanashi here have a totally great way with the )...

  4. #4
    Marie84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    2,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's entirely possible that we evolve certain traits out of necessity over time, so your theory could work. Sensory strengths could have been our primary prized instinctive tool for primitive survival and intuition developed over time to expand on the means of survival. Or maybe both existed equally but took time to work as one through the development of packs and later tribes, in that sense if both existed as they do now the sensory strong would see the intuitiveness as a tool for contributing expansion, bettering their own chances of survival, thus sensory strong develops an instinctive need to protect them...?
    In general I would think all IE's likely developed through being effective tools for our survival or they wouldn't have latched themselves into our genetics/environment for this long, but when or how they developed is a mystery...
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

  5. #5
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But...but...Traveler...

    1/ human experience is more similar than not about 99% of what we do - regardless of S/N divide.
    2/ evolution doesn't really work like that - it doesn't constantly refine a given quality in order to make it better. As long as a given trait lets the animal live up to reproduction time, it will be carried on no matter how good or bad it may be in a "human" sense. So...as much as our eyes aren't more "advanced" than the eyes of a homo sapiens of 100'000 years ago, sensation or intuition aren't more "advanced" or "primitive" either - we'd need a completely different concept of "man" in order to have a general advancement in a broad sphere of our cognitive functions. BTW there is no proof that sensation came "before" than intuition. Who knows if monkeys don't have their own version of S-N?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  6. #6
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,692
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    What the butts? I'm around Intuitives all the time! I'm pretty much buried up to my neck in EIEs as of late... all in all though, I think it's a pretty even split...

    Intuition is just the other side of sensing, I think; even something as mystical sounding as can reveal itself in as workaday terms as "I know where this is going...", and I see no reason for this type of perception to be separate from and all that is gathered from it, it's just a matter of which side of the axis gets paid more mind (same with all functional axes - the Te-ILIs Timmy and nanashi here have a totally great way with the )...
    Intuition being the other side of sensing makes sense and is likely possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    It's entirely possible that we evolve certain traits out of necessity over time, so your theory could work. Sensory strengths could have been our primary prized instinctive tool for primitive survival and intuition developed over time to expand on the means of survival. Or maybe both existed equally but took time to work as one through the development of packs and later tribes, in that sense if both existed as they do now the sensory strong would see the intuitiveness as a tool for contributing expansion, bettering their own chances of survival, thus sensory strong develops an instinctive need to protect them...?
    In general I would think all IE's likely developed through being effective tools for our survival or they wouldn't have latched themselves into our genetics/environment for this long, but when or how they developed is a mystery...
    Good analysis, I like your idea as intuition being a tool for contributing expansion to increase our chances of survival, while sensation remains as a way to protects those ideas. You're right, that in the end, it is very difficult to determine at what time each developed.

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    But...but...Traveler...

    1/ human experience is more similar than not about 99% of what we do - regardless of S/N divide.
    2/ evolution doesn't really work like that - it doesn't constantly refine a given quality in order to make it better. As long as a given trait lets the animal live up to reproduction time, it will be carried on no matter how good or bad it may be in a "human" sense. So...as much as our eyes aren't more "advanced" than the eyes of a homo sapiens of 100'000 years ago, sensation or intuition aren't more "advanced" or "primitive" either - we'd need a completely different concept of "man" in order to have a general advancement in a broad sphere of our cognitive functions. BTW there is no proof that sensation came "before" than intuition. Who knows if monkeys don't have their own version of S-N?
    1. 99% of what we do? Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch? Even though a lot of what we do is driven by aspects of ourselves that are not influenced solely by our personality.

    2. I agree, that the traits we have today as humans exist solely because they managed to be carried on via reproduction. I guess you could look at sensation and intuition as different sides of the same coin and you can apply that aspect to I/E, F/T and P/J. It is very difficult to prove if sensation came before intuition in our species. However, I think it can be proven if you look at the history of life itself.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  7. #7
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it's the other way around. S is primitive, N is advanced.

  8. #8
    Arete GuavaDrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Now in stores near you.
    TIM
    EIE 9w8-5-4 s?
    Posts
    1,524
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    (...)
    2. I agree, that the traits we have today as humans exist solely because they managed to be carried on via reproduction. I guess you could look at sensation and intuition as different sides of the same coin and you can apply that aspect to I/E, F/T and P/J. It is very difficult to prove if sensation came before intuition in our species. However, I think it can be proven if you look at the history of life itself.
    Sorry to re-hash but it's a common misconception. Evolution will not change/improve a trait if its current performance does not disadvantage individuals. It requires outside pressure to make up something new. You could assume a mutant version of things spread, but that would be quite the lucky trick.

    Dichotomies could have come about from only certain types of neural wiring being viable/efficient enough.

    You could assume Intuition came about to deal with more abstract problems, but... Actually, have you heard of persistence hunting? One example is running down antilopes in the Kalahari desert. A description of the practice (in a running book's book) mentions that the combination of moving at high speeds and monitoring the ground to track the animal induced a trance-like state of non-thinking awareness and strong empathy with the animal (better deducing how it would have reacted at points.)

    The above could have enhanced strong Sensing. Not sure what to think.

    What parts of life's history would you use? Our knowledge of it is pretty incomplete.
    Reason is a whore.

  9. #9
    cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,934
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When you havent defined intuition well enough to judge whether primates have some form of it the whole speculation is useless

  11. #11
    Arete GuavaDrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Now in stores near you.
    TIM
    EIE 9w8-5-4 s?
    Posts
    1,524
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Gah, I wanna do that.
    You know where to emigrate. I hear the Kalahari is nice this time of year.
    Reason is a whore.

  12. #12
    Samuel the Gabriel H. MisterNi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA.
    TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    it's the other way around. S is primitive, N is advanced.
    Yeah, but with varying levels of development/expediency of use for either. I think that might be what the OP is trying to get at.

    IEE Ne Creative Type

    Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

  13. #13
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,692
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    (...)
    2. I agree, that the traits we have today as humans exist solely because they managed to be carried on via reproduction. I guess you could look at sensation and intuition as different sides of the same coin and you can apply that aspect to I/E, F/T and P/J. It is very difficult to prove if sensation came before intuition in our species. However, I think it can be proven if you look at the history of life itself.
    Sorry to re-hash but it's a common misconception. Evolution will not change/improve a trait if its current performance does not disadvantage individuals. It requires outside pressure to make up something new. You could assume a mutant version of things spread, but that would be quite the lucky trick.

    Dichotomies could have come about from only certain types of neural wiring being viable/efficient enough.

    You could assume Intuition came about to deal with more abstract problems, but... Actually, have you heard of persistence hunting? One example is running down antilopes in the Kalahari desert. A description of the practice (in a running book's book) mentions that the combination of moving at high speeds and monitoring the ground to track the animal induced a trance-like state of non-thinking awareness and strong empathy with the animal (better deducing how it would have reacted at points.)

    The above could have enhanced strong Sensing. Not sure what to think.

    What parts of life's history would you use? Our knowledge of it is pretty incomplete.
    Excellent points Guava. Persistence hunting sounds pretty interesting. You'd probably have to go back to some time in our mammalian history to discover when intuition evolved, I doubt it came earlier than that, but I could be wrong.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  14. #14
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,449
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    One could make the judgement that sensation has been around a lot longer when we look back to our ancestors than intuition. That intuition emerged later on in our evolution, but was a lot more raw and primitive. By this time, sensation was already highly developed and complex. Intuition is probably an experiment by nature, a mutation if anything and a big gamble.
    This doesn't really match up to what intuition means in a Socionics/Jungian/MBTI context. If you see S and N IEs as being two parts of the same whole, just having S IEs for the longest time would be a completely unbalanced perception of the world: either content without context or vice versa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    It is no mystery, that sensors outnumber intuitives and have been able to pass on their genes much easier than them because of their distinct advantages.
    How and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    It all averages out to about the same in the end, our brain can only handle a primitive form of intuition or a highly complex form of sensation. Any comments on this theory?
    It seems like you're confusing Socionics intuition with the more common definition, the latter of which is probably more related to progresses in evolution (I'm trying to find the story/article I had in mind to support this, but can't find it atm. In the meantime have this: http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=...2011-10210-007).
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

    http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

  15. #15
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    1. 99% of what we do? Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch? Even though a lot of what we do is driven by aspects of ourselves that are not influenced solely by our personality.
    Breath, eat, walk, use our eyes in exactly the same way (which is how it's so easy for us to share an experience, as opposed to trying to do the same with another animal), use the same tools, etc. etc.

    You could assume Intuition came about to deal with more abstract problems, but... Actually, have you heard of Persistence_hunting ? One example is running down antilopes in the Kalahari desert. A description of the practice (in Bernd_Heinrich 's book) mentions that the combination of moving at high speeds and monitoring the ground to track the animal induced a trance-like state of non-thinking awareness and strong empathy with the animal (better deducing how it would have reacted at points.)
    Daymn, that's great. It's probably similar to how you can feel when you're trying to reach an opponent during a cycling race (especially uphill or downhill), or during a one-on-one basketball match.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  16. #16
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,692
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    This doesn't really match up to what intuition means in a Socionics/Jungian/MBTI context. If you see S and N IEs as being two parts of the same whole, just having S IEs for the longest time would be a completely unbalanced perception of the world: either content without context or vice versa.
    I think the main problem with this theory is that it throws intertype relations and quadras out the window.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    How and why?
    Well, if you look at it statistically, sensors outnumber intuitives, it's really that simple. Sensors would stereotypically integrate into society better socially and work wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    It seems like you're confusing Socionics intuition with the more common definition, the latter of which is probably more related to progresses in evolution (I'm trying to find the story/article I had in mind to support this, but can't find it atm. In the meantime have this: http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=...2011-10210-007).
    Yeah, you can't say Socionics intuition and the standard of intuition are exactly the same, but if anything I'd say Socionics intuition is at least a form of standard intuition at the very least.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  17. #17
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,449
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I think the main problem with this theory is that it throws intertype relations and quadras out the window.
    How's that? I don't see the two as particularly incompatible at all.

    When I say S/N IEs, I really mean the corresponding pairs of S/N IEs related by quadra. Basically what I'm trying to say is Se is the other side of the Ni coin, and same for Ne/Si.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Well, if you look at it statistically, sensors outnumber intuitives, it's really that simple. Sensors would stereotypically integrate into society better socially and work wise.
    What statistics? I've seen a tremendous book of MBTI statistics, but MBTI != socionics, and from what I've seen MBTI tests seem to have a bias for where N = more intelligent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Yeah, you can't say Socionics intuition and the standard of intuition are exactly the same, but if anything I'd say Socionics intuition is at least a form of standard intuition at the very least.
    By my understanding of the the N functions, neither of them are really associated with intuition as defined by Webster. I'll explain what I mean later, maybe lol.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

    http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

  18. #18
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,692
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Breath, eat, walk, use our eyes in exactly the same way (which is how it's so easy for us to share an experience, as opposed to trying to do the same with another animal), use the same tools, etc. etc.
    Point taken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    How's that? I don't see the two as particularly incompatible at all.
    I should of worded that differently, I was actually agreeing with you. I was saying that if what I say was true and there was only sensors at one point in history and no intuitives, then it would totally destroy inter-type relations and quadras.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    When I say S/N IEs, I really mean the corresponding pairs of S/N IEs related by quadra. Basically what I'm trying to say is Se is the other side of the Ni coin, and same for Ne/Si.
    This is a distinct possibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    What statistics? I've seen a tremendous book of MBTI statistics, but MBTI != socionics, and from what I've seen MBTI tests seem to have a bias for where N = more intelligent.
    I've done a Socionics survey before and there were more sensors in the survey, but there were more extraverts than introverts as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    By my understanding of the the N functions, neither of them are really associated with intuition as defined by Webster. I'll explain what I mean later, maybe lol.
    I see what you're saying, but I'm talking about Socionics intuition though, not really the standard definition of intuition, which is a different can of worms.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Traveler is back again. Oh well, so long as he doesn't break anything....

  20. #20
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,692
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Traveler is back again. Oh well, so long as he doesn't break anything....
    Somebody has animosity towards me...
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •