TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Functional Breakdown-- Benefit

Benefactor

NOTE: Because this relation is asymmetric, meaning the interactions described work one way only (as opposed to being equal between partners), I illustrate this difference by heading each section with “[Function] to [Function],” rather than “[Function] and [Function]” as worded earlier in the symmetric relation descriptions. Also note, the Benefactor’s function is listed first, while yours (the Beneficiary’s) is listed second in each section heading.

Base to Demonstrative Interaction

What your Benefactor takes seriously and exercises often as related to his Base function, you are more inclined to mock and belittle, though you will probably not do so in his presence. At the same time, with prolonged contact you will likely find yourself responding to your Benefactor’s Base manifestations by joining in rather uncharacteristically, and as long as you are alone together, you will probably not even feel embarrassed by it as you normally would. Your Benefactor will find such interaction gratifying and fulfilling, while you will more likely view it as an amusing exercise and a good way to nurture a closer bond with your Benefactor.

Creative to Suggestive/Dual-Seeking Interaction

What you most need psychologically in support of your Base, but struggle to provide for yourself, is something that your Benefactor is well-equipped to provide. And he will gladly do so, at least at first.

Over time, however, your Benefactor may notice that you rarely—in ever—manage to provide for yourself in this area, as his Creative function is your Dual-Seeking function. Since the Creative function is not the primary focus of one’s psyche, your Activator may eventually tire of always providing for you in this area and start expecting you to “take up the slack” once in a while so he can focus on other things. You will struggle with this expectation, however, since it hardly comes naturally.

[u]Role to Mobilizing/Hidden Agenda Interaction[/i]

When a situation arises in which your Benefactor begins to feel pressure on his Role, you may be quite eager to take up the challenge for him, as his Role is your Hidden Agenda. Your Benefactor will find you quite useful in this area at times, though you will eventually tire of the exercise.

Vulnerable/PoLR to Ignoring/Observing Interaction

As your Benefactor’s weakest unvalued function, his Vulnerable function is hardly an area in which he feels inclined to dwell. With you, he is in luck, this being your Ignoring function which you are naturally inclined to disregard in favor of your Base.

When your Benefactor does start to feel pressure from external forces upon his Vulnerable psyche, you have the ability to help him see things less seriously, to help convince him that what “those people” are asking is really not important and “to heck with them and their expectations.”

Suggestive/Dual-Seeking to Vulnerable/PoLR Interaction

You and your Benefactor share the same weakness in your Vulnerable and his Suggestive functions. However, the weakness that you find most awkward and fearful to face, your Benefactor actually seeks help in and gladly welcomes in support of his Base. Therefore, he is likely to approach you at times seeking help in this area, which you of course will be unable to give. You may even be visibly put off by the request and will try to shrug your Benefactor away with a “Go ask someone else.”

Mobilizing/Hidden Agenda to Base Interaction

Your Base strength and focus naturally excites your Benefactor and can serve to stimulate him into action regarding his Hidden Agenda. He will thoroughly enjoy this interaction with you, until—over a long period of time—he begins to tire of the exercise. As long as you recognize and respect his need for a break, there is no problem; but if you continue to pursue the interaction incessantly, some irritation from your weary Benefactor may arise.

Ignoring/Observing to Creative Interaction

Interaction between your Creative function and your Benefactor’s Ignoring function will for the most part be regarded between you as simply unimportant to the relationship in general. Your Creative pursuits, while important to you, are not a primary focus. So when you are busy expressing yourself Creatively, your Benefactor is likely to simply “sit back” or wander elsewhere (physically or mentally) as he waits for the moment to pass.

Demonstrative to Role Interaction

Despite being unvalued, you will likely find yourself occasionally appreciating your Benefactor’s Demonstrative nature when it manifests, as in these moments you realize the benefit of not having to engage personally in your Role, particularly in external situations dealing with other people. The one exception being, of course, if his Demonstration is directed against you, which is probably rare, since you are unlikely to be pushing his buttons in this area.

Your Benefactor will not appreciate demands upon his Demonstrative function, however. Most of the time he will not even care to acknowledge his ability, and may grow annoyed when pressed. Rather, your Benefactor’s Demonstration is best regarded as a gift, manifesting spontaneously only during those times when it is most needed as the need is perceived by your Benefactor.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beneficiary

NOTE: Because this relation is asymmetric, meaning the interactions described work one way only (as opposed to being equal between partners), I illustrate this difference by heading each section with “[Function] to [Function],” rather than “[Function] and [Function]” as worded earlier in the symmetric relation descriptions. Also note, the Beneficiary’s function is listed first, while yours (the Benefactor’s) is listed second in each section heading.

Base to Mobilizing/Hidden Agenda Interaction

Your Benefciciary’s Base strength and focus naturally excites you and can serve to stimulate you into action regarding your Hidden Agenda. You will thoroughly enjoy this interaction with your Beneficiary, until—over a long period of time—you begin to tire of the exercise. As long as your Beneficiary recognizes and respects your need for a break, there is no problem; but if he continues to pursue the interaction incessantly, you may grow irritated with your Beneficiary for pushing you so heavily.

Creative to Ignoring/Observing Interaction

Interaction between your Beneficiary’s Creative function and your Ignoring function will for the most part be regarded between you as simply unimportant to the relationship in general. Your Beneficiary’s Creative pursuits, while important to him, are not a primary focus. So when he is busy expressing himself Creatively, you are likely to simply “sit back” or wander elsewhere (physically or mentally) as you wait for the moment to pass.

[u]Role to Demonstrative Interaction[/i]

When your Demonstrative nature manifests, your Beneficiary may realize the benefit of not having to engage personally in his Role, particularly in external situations dealing with other people. The one exception being, of course, if your Demonstration is directed against him, which is probably rare, since he is unlikely to be pushing your buttons in this area.

Vulnerable/PoLR to Suggestive/Dual-Seeking Interaction

You and your Beneficiary share the same weakness in your Suggestive and his Vulnerable functions. However, the weakness that your Beneficiary finds most awkward and fearful to face, you actually seek help in and gladly welcome in support of your Base. Therefore, you are likely to approach your Beneficiary at times seeking help in this area, which he of course will be unable to give. He may even be visibly put off by the request and will try to shrug you away with a “Go ask someone else.”

Suggestive/Dual-Seeking to Creative Interaction

What your Beneficiary most needs psychologically in support of his Base, but struggles to provide for himself, is something that you are well-equipped to provide. And you will gladly do so, at least at first.

Over time, however, you may notice that your Beneficiary rarely—in ever—manages to provide for himself in this area, as your Creative function is his Dual-Seeking function. Since the Creative function is not the primary focus of one’s psyche, you may eventually tire of always providing for your Beneficiary in this area and start expecting him to “take up the slack” once in a while so you can focus on other things. Your Beneficiary will struggle with this expectation, however, since it hardly comes naturally.

Mobilizing/Hidden Agenda to Role Interaction

When a situation arises in which you begin to feel pressure on your Role, your Beneficiary may be quite eager to take up the challenge for you, as your Role is his Hidden Agenda. You will find your Beneficiary quite useful in this area at times, though he will eventually tire of the exercise.

Ignoring/Observing to Vulnerable/PoLR Interaction

As your weakest unvalued function, your Vulnerable function is hardly an area in which you feel inclined to dwell. With your Beneficiary, you are in luck, this being his Ignoring function which he is naturally inclined to disregard in favor of his Base.

When you do start to feel pressure from external forces upon your Vulnerable psyche, your Beneficiary has the ability to help you see things less seriously, to help convince you that what “those people” are asking is really not important and “to heck with them and their expectations.”

Demonstrative to Base Interaction

What you take seriously and exercise often as related to your Base function, your Beneficiary is more inclined to mock and belittle, though he will probably not do so in your presence. At the same time, with prolonged contact your Beneficiary may find yourself responding to your Base manifestations by joining in rather uncharacteristically, and as long as you are alone together, you will probably not even feel embarrassed by it as he normally would. You will find such interaction gratifying and fulfilling, while your Beneficiary will more likely view it as an amusing exercise and a good way to nurture a closer bond with you.
    My life's work (haha):

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Benefactor

[u]Role to Mobilizing/Hidden Agenda Interaction[/i]

When a situation arises in which your Benefactor begins to feel pressure on his Role, you may be quite eager to take up the challenge for him, as his Role is your Hidden Agenda. Your Benefactor will find you quite useful in this area at times, though you will eventually tire of the exercise.
    If one's role is the other's HA (quasi-identical and benefit), I would expect there is some kind of competition between the partners with no clear winner. Your description stresses the mutual help, but I think that help in this area and in this configuration is not that welcomed.

Like both partners want to prove they are better than the other in the Role/HA area. One partner can see that the other partner lacks in this field and wants to help him, and at the same time prove to himself that he is good/better with his HA/Role (maybe it's more about proving than actually helping). And help from someone who is not necessarily the best in it can be frustrating and easily rejected. At least that's my experience.

Btw I like these functional breakdown threads. do you write them with particular relationships from your life in mind or just the theory?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marietta View Post
    If one's role is the other's HA (quasi-identical and benefit), I would expect there is some kind of competition between the partners with no clear winner. Your description stresses the mutual help, but I think that help in this area and in this configuration is not that welcomed.
    You might have a point here. I'm not altogether positive that I'm right, in any case. Role-HA is tricky. True, they are both of equal strength/weakness, so in a situation where each partner is giving his best effort, it could very well end with no clear winner.

At the same time, though, one's HA is valued, whereas one's Role is not. So it seems to me that, the partner with the HA IE-- vs. the other partner's Role IE-- would still be more motivated to give it his best shot, whereas when the person with the Role IE would be more inclined to just "give it up" and let the other with the HA "win."

I guess what I was envisioning more, though, was a situation where the partners are working together rather than against each other.

Like both partners want to prove they are better than the other in the Role/HA area. One partner can see that the other partner lacks in this field and wants to help him, and at the same time prove to himself that he is good/better with his HA/Role (maybe it's more about proving than actually helping). And help from someone who is not necessarily the best in it can be frustrating and easily rejected. At least that's my experience.
    And I can see how this might play out, too. I'll have to think about how to maybe add that to my descriptions (If I steal any of your exact words, I'll be sure to give you credit.)

Btw I like these functional breakdown threads. do you write them with particular relationships from your life in mind or just the theory?
    Just theory. Though I hope to start applying them more to RL and see how they hold out. That's really where the other forum member come in, too. I really want to know if their RL experiences in particular relations match up to what I've described based on my understanding of functional theory.
    My life's work (haha):

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I guess what I was envisioning more, though, was a situation where the partners are working together rather than against each other.
    And I can see how this might play out, too. I'll have to think about how to maybe add that to my descriptions (If I steal any of your exact words, I'll be sure to give you credit.)
    My experience is that the parters don't have to be against each other to feel/act that way. they might like each other just fine and be generally interested in cooperation, but in this field there may be some kind of rivarly. it can be annoying, gets heavier from time to time, but doesn't have enough impact to make the partners generally against each other.

Anyways, the whole HA concept is generally tricky so different perspectives are always good food for thought.
    Last edited by Marietta; 07-12-2011 at 11:20 AM.