Thread: Al Pacino & Dustin Hoffman

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Al Pacino & Dustin Hoffman

These two actors seem quite similar to me. I can't figure out their types. Any ideas and arguments?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have seen them on SG's site, haven't you? Al Pacino ESFp and Dustin Hoffman INTp. That might be something to start with. What arguments can be put against that claim? (I don't know much about them myself.)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen Al Pacino typed as SLE other places, but after seeing him in "Godfather" yesterday I thought he was more likely SEE, especially in contrast to Brando, who I consider SLE (we don't have to discuss that here). There Pacino demonstrated a demeanor similar to Brando, but was much more likeable and emotionally positive. Judging by his pictures, this seems to be a stable quality. He doesn't have a disdainful look anywhere as the SLE actors tend to have. The other type I can't rule out yet is ILE.

At this point I could see Hoffman as nearly any type. That's probably because I have only seen him in "Rainman," where he is clearly not playing his own character . ILI is a reasonable typing, at least.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "true" Al Pacino is best seen in the movie "Looking for Richard", a documentary he made of his attempt to make another film version of Richard III. There I think he seemed more SLE than SEE.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an old thread, but I find it interesting that some sites have typed Dustin Hoffman as either ILI or ILE, probably largely from his ILI-like performance in Rain Man.

I suspect that he's actually IEE, but he's such a great actor that it's hard to know who the "real" Dustin Hoffman is. I haven't seen all of Tootsie (would like to), but in the part I saw, he really came off as an NF type.

There was a terrible film called "Meet the Fockers" in which he plays a feeling type, probably IEE. I had to stop watching, it was so bad, but I'm still interested what type people think the Robert DeNiro character was in that movie (if anyone has had the misfortune of having seen it). Robert DeNiro plays what in MBTI would be a stereotypical ENTP character; however in Socionics one could make a case for him being Gamma NT (maybe ENTj?). The whole point of the film was to try to exploit the clash between DeNiro's character and the very NF-ish, Si-valuing characters played by Hoffman and Barbara Streisand.

Creepy-bg

Oh Jesus...

Meet the Fockers wasn't anything special but it was definately >>>>>> Tootsie

The Graduate was his best film IMO

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with ESFp for Pacino.

Hoffman usually plays INFp or INTp characters; it really could go either way IMO.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al Pacino - ENTp?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Al Pacino was typed as an LSE?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I thought Al Pacino was typed as an LSE?
    This is sure an old thread...
    Now I see that these two actors are quite different. For one, Hoffman doesn't play "strong men," but Al Pacino is very good at that.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This is sure an old thread...
    Now I see that these two actors are quite different. For one, Hoffman doesn't play "strong men," but Al Pacino is very good at that.
    Yes, and now I understand you see Hoffman as LII. As mentioned earlier in this thread, he's usually seen as an irrational type. What makes you see him as LII...and do you see his characters...Raymond, Ben, and so forth, as portraying LIIs, or is he using his acting skills to make them seem more Ni than he is?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me the "Raymond" character is basically untypeable, and I don't remember The Graduate. I'm not 100% sure. I'm going off of impressions from video interviews more than anything.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    For me the "Raymond" character is basically untypeable
    Because he's autistic, ja?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Because he's autistic, ja?
    Ja

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I have never thought of Hoffman's type, but I have seen a lot of his movies. He seems to prefer to play slightly oddball, frenzied, somewhat stuttering but highly intelligent, intense (internal focus) characters.

Papillon, Marahton Man, Little Big Man, All the President's Men are typical of the roles he has played. He is something of an anti-hero that survives by his wits in a hostile environment; endurance and smarts rather than physical aggressive strength.

Pacino on the other hand excels in roles such as ramrod straight military officer (Scent of a woman), police officer (Heat), in your face crazed gangster (Scarface), Mafioso (The Godfather). He role figures thrive on physical violence and sensations.

I'd definitely cast Pacino as Hook in Peter Pan and not Hoffman
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Hoffman is Fe/Ti.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is old so I probably won't get a response, but I can see him as ILI and was wondering what kind of movie(s) he's played more of an IEI in. I'm kind of curious about that now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Pacino - ENFJ
    Hoffman - ENTP

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From first glance Pacino - ILI-Ni?

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

al pacino is LSE-SI

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE
    IEE

Easy.
    Money, pleeeeeaaaaaase?!
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Temptations View Post
    Why LSE?
    He always struck me as Ni lead, think about the roles he played aswell, infact I could very well see him as an IEI-Ni over ILI
    Just my nan is same type, they move, gesture, same mannerisms, same voice, it's one of the types I feel confident typing. Also one of my fellow teachers

Incidentally I think they are one of the best types for actors. Si creative and EJ

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al Pacino - LII

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin Hoffman - ESFP - Napoleon

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al Pacino - ESFP - Napoleon

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two of them plus Leonard Cohen could pass as brothers from the same mother

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Pacino and Hoffman are SEE, specifically normalizing subtype. They’re both brilliant actors and took their roles seriously. Hoffman has played many roles but the one that launched his career was The Graduate where he played an Alpha NT sorta got stuck to him. If you watch Hoffman’s interviews, he talks about his desires of always wanting fame and he went for it and did what he could to achieve. In the middle of the interview, he talks about the voice that told him to not to something, he still did it anyway

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al Pacino: SLE

Dustin Hoffman: SEI