Thread: Age and Personality

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Age and Personality

I have read from a number sources that age has a considerable impact on your personality. The theory is that your dominant functions remain strong and frequent, however your weaker functions will develop over time. For example, an ESFp would develop their and over time and an ENTj would develop their and . Supposedly you develop your 3rd and 4th functions in MBTI and your dual seeking functions concerning socionics. From your observations of your own maturity or others, has this proved true? Is it correct that the functions that develop over time are the ones mentioned or your 3rd and 4th socionics functions? Is it possible that the functions develop based on the environment that requests them or rewards them the most. For example, if you reside in a society where is praised, could that mean that it would pressure many to develop it?

Is this source accurate or should it be judged false since it is based on MBTI?

http://www.personalitypage.com/development.html
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kraus
    I heard somewhere that later in life, you start to act a little more like your semi-dual. This could be why my ISFj mom thinks she's ESTj, and why when I introduced her to Socionics, she thought that my ESTp dad was an INTp.
    Interesting, I always had the notion that you behave more like your dual as you age and it is one indication of why duality works. As you age, your personalities develop together in unison and began to appreicate and understand eachother until you are complete.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there is much to it.

I'm not sure, either, if there is much to the concept of "developing" your functions as if they were a skill.

Anyway, the idea that you more or less become a more "balanced" person as you age is false IMO. You learn more social tricks and have a wider database of personal experience to draw from (which can be a disadvantage, too) but you remain essentially the same person.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only 25, but I've had a whole lot of life experiences. I can easily and comfortably use fuctions that aren't "supposed to" be strong. Fe is a good example. I took Dmitri's test and it showed that I am without a doubt a logical type, but my Fe is stronger that that of most logical types.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat

I'm not sure, either, if there is much to the concept of "developing" your functions as if they were a skill.

Anyway, the idea that you more or less become a more "balanced" person as you age is false IMO. You learn more social tricks and have a wider database of personal experience to draw from (which can be a disadvantage, too) but you remain essentially the same person.
    Yes, I had been thinking about that as well when I exmained the other perspective. For example, a 20 year old ENTj is still an ENTj when he is 40 years old, it's not as if he transformed into an ISFj or half-ISFj and half-ENTj. However, it's more like an ENTj with a second translucent layer of and as guidance, but not in the sense that those two functions are equivalent to the dominant functions and those functions become dominant as well, since that is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I'm only 25, but I've had a whole lot of life experiences. I can easily and comfortably use fuctions that aren't "supposed to" be strong. Fe is a good example. I took Dmitri's test and it showed that I am without a doubt a logical type, but my Fe is stronger that that of most logical types.
    I will rejoice when you find out what your true type is. However, I will be wary with the notion that you may abruptly change again. Remember, types aren't meant to be labels, they are simply guidelines. No individual fits perfectly into the mold of any one type and some such as you may stray away from them even more.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-

Default Re: Age and Personality

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    I have read from a number sources that age has a considerable impact on your personality.

If anyone really thinks that personalities don't change over time, then they are fooling themselves and in denial. Either that or they've spent too much time in one situation and are very liable to stagnation.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, I always had the notion that you behave more like your dual as you age and it is one indication of why duality works. As you age, your personalities develop together in unison and began to appreicate and understand eachother until you are complete.
    Wow, I really like this theory. It's like duality relations are about finding the other side of yourself. There is something deeply romantic about it.

I can't really say about myself. I'm changing too rapidly right now. When I stop, I'll find out where I got and then I can reflect on how I changed.

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    If anyone really thinks that personalities don't change over time, then they are fooling themselves and in denial. Either that or they've spent too much time in one situation and are very liable to stagnation.
    Agreed!
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I had been thinking about that as well when I exmained the other perspective. For example, a 20 year old ENTj is still an ENTj when he is 40 years old, it's not as if he transformed into an ISFj or half-ISFj and half-ENTj. However, it's more like an ENTj with a second translucent layer of and as guidance, but not in the sense that those two functions are equivalent to the dominant functions and those functions become dominant as well, since that is unlikely.
    Let's give this thought a bit more of a formal bent.

Suppose that the 1st and 2nd functions are the most used. Suppose that the 5th and the 6th functions are, respectively, 5th and 4th in terms of usage. Now, let subject A of type X live for number (a) of years, and let subject B of the same type X live for number 2(a) of years. We can safely deduce, from those assumptions that subject B will have comparatively the same ratio of (base*creative) to (suggestive*hidden agenda). However, the absolute values of the time of usage of all the four functions will be doubled - assuming that there is a linear relationship between time and usage of the function for all the functions. Due to the higher absolute value, then, the 2(a) years old subject B will look like having a more developed 5th and 6th function at first sight; however, the ratio will be the same for both subjects.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will rejoice when you find out what your true type is. However, I will be wary with the notion that you may abruptly change again. Remember, types aren't meant to be labels, they are simply guidelines. No individual fits perfectly into the mold of any one type and some such as you may stray away from them even more.
    I'm reasonably certain that I'm ENTj, and ENTp is the only other real possibility. The fact that I've developed most of my functions and the presence of psychiatric disorders makes it hard to tell for sure. ADD looks a lot like Ne. Due to having been raised in a very strict home/church/school, I have had to make a conscious effort to learn to become very openminded to other people's beliefs and value systems in order to combat the brainwashing I experienced growing up, which makes my Fi seem very weak on test scores.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if my personality has changed as I've gotten older, or if I've just gotten more comfortable with myself and therefore behave a bit differently now because of that.

But I am somewhat different than I was at, say, 20.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Personalities" may change, but not character or the essential function use.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and how do you know that?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan
    and how do you know that?
    Fair enough. I should have included "IMO". It is what I have observed.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... You learn more social tricks and have a wider database of personal experience to draw from ....
    I thought that was roughly what was meant by "developing" a function. Like a right-handed person who starts out being very clumsy with her left hand, but over time she gains more experience and gets the opportunity to practise certain movements and tasks. Of course she'll always be right-handed: her preferences don't change. But she'll learn how to pour herself a drink with her left hand without having to mop up the floor afterwards. Like that.

So "developing" my Se doesn't mean gaining the kind of instinctive, subtle, graceful and sophisticated ability an ESTp has. Nothing can change the fact that Se is my 3d function (unless I'm mistaken about my type, of course). My "developed" Se would more be like "Se for Dummies", or "The Bluffer's Guide to Se". Just enough to get by. Perhaps even enough to make other people think that my Se is in my ego or id block, but only for as long as it isn't really put to the test.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Age and change

I would agree with Schrodinger's cat. We shall nver be what we are not and the development of the functions or of a weak block means to find the better use of it. The base and the role functons are two shoes a pair, both strong but the role function is developing in a direction of the base function. That is why your base and role function originate in the same block :ID, Ego, Superego or Superid. If you like violet you may like pastel pink or purple too; if you like green you may like salad green (the mixture of yellow and green).

As regards strength of the fucntions - model B suggests that the functons will develop but this development is limited due to the place of the function in the model. For example you weak functon should not be as strong as creative, role - never as strong as creative, and creative should not be as strong as Base functon. Because otherwise will be disorder and disproportion, confusion, loss of identity. The personality will not have stability to it. Anything can happen on a temporary bases or if you are ill - lost half of your brain and etc.

Regarding age, as children use more of block Id while they go through the stage of intensive aquirng of collective rational knowledge/counscous they produce awareness of themselves -individual conscious. so we can assume that people of old age will be directing their thoughts once again soul search : why I lived like that, what I have achieved and etc. this period suggest contemplation, contentment and peace. More dependance and more sensitivity, attention - seeking on one hand and teaching wisdom on the other hand. Wisdom is a product of both collective counscous and collective unconscious. So we can assume that we shall use more of weak functions/blocks which we tried to develop during life to help us to produce rather a new understanding of the world, to support the vision gained through our strong functions. But it does not mean that when we are old we shall change our ptofession or suddenly become very organised, or overly polite and etc. Yes we make become more tearful but this is the influence of the block Superid - direction inside yourself and dependency.
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Neutralizarion

Balancing and development of weak functions can be considered as a process of neutralizaton, where on one hand the life teaches you not to ignore weaknesses but to work on them - on the other hand, you learn to neutralize the negative aspect produced by usage of weak functions - mistakes as if you learn to coop with some sort of disability knowing that you are not brilliant and will never be in certain areas of life. It sould not stop you enjoy what you have.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm reasonably certain that I'm ENTj, and ENTp is the only other real possibility. The fact that I've developed most of my functions and the presence of psychiatric disorders makes it hard to tell for sure. ADD looks a lot like Ne. Due to having been raised in a very strict home/church/school, I have had to make a conscious effort to learn to become very openminded to other people's beliefs and value systems in order to combat the brainwashing I experienced growing up, which makes my Fi seem very weak on test scores.
    If I had to choose between ENTj and ENTp for your type, I would certainly select ENTp without a doubt. You may believe your ENTj because of your enterprising abilities and knowledge of making money, however ENTps are talented in that regard as well. Most importantly, only an ENTp would change their type as often as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Let's give this thought a bit more of a formal bent.

Suppose that the 1st and 2nd functions are the most used. Suppose that the 5th and the 6th functions are, respectively, 5th and 4th in terms of usage. Now, let subject A of type X live for number (a) of years, and let subject B of the same type X live for number 2(a) of years. We can safely deduce, from those assumptions that subject B will have comparatively the same ratio of (base*creative) to (suggestive*hidden agenda). However, the absolute values of the time of usage of all the four functions will be doubled - assuming that there is a linear relationship between time and usage of the function for all the functions. Due to the higher absolute value, then, the 2(a) years old subject B will look like having a more developed 5th and 6th function at first sight; however, the ratio will be the same for both subjects.
    This makes sense. Are you suggesting that are dominant functions develop at the same pace as our secondary weaker functions? Do you believe that all functions are capable of being strengthened over time with practice and experience?

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-

I agree about a person's essential character, which probably is related to functions, or some other major event, etc. I think a person, for example, has only one rubix cube. But the different orientations are

PS: for something completley irrelevant and unrelated: I really am not good at cooking

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most importantly, only an ENTp would change their type as often as you do.

... the man speaks the truth...

... anyway, I believe type is inborn, and depending on various influences and experiences, we learn to flex the other six functions (yeah, I think we are all born with both a judging and perceiving side). This may sound odd, but I have seen people who have an aparently stong level of both, say, Sensing and Intuition, and when I say strong... I mean strong. I don't mean "Oh look, he uses another of one to get by", but they are both undeniably noteable. I guess the only explaination for this is not that the functions develop in a duality (such as more Thinking= less Feeling, etc...), but mearly that the brain is pliable.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how many types have I claimed to be?
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...infj, entp, esfp, isfp, entj...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj doesn't count
    SEE

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Confusion

I would like to relate to what Rocky wrote.
    I do not see why the person should not be strong on feeling and thinking at the same time or sensing and intuition. Quite on the opposite. I am not sure if people understand what I am writing in the model B about it.

If you are rational type: you should expect strong abstract thinking and feeling + or applied thinking and feeling: +

The same thing for irrational types: intuition and sensing come together because it is two parts of one - irrationality versus rationality. I think confusion comes from the misunderstanding of how functoins work together. If you are a rational type - you collect info through rational functions but producce through irrational functions. Do people underestand what I am talking about or is it not that clear?

+ = guidance. What the point of feeling deep without being able to generalise feeling on abstract level, to produce some sort of a logical structure, to understand and explain the chian reaction of feelings,
    Introversion- looking into yourslef in order to understand others. Superego block.

+ = preference based on personal experience. Knowing what feels good and relate it to future consequences. This knowledge can be inspiration for others to folow. Superid block.

+ = excellent problem solving skills. Depending what is the second function - either related to relatonships or to organizational skills . Id block.

+ = ...? may be you can help me with that?

Those who have base and role function will be different form those who havew fucntions on the opposite. But it does not mean that rational feeling types will be weak on logic. If we shall consider feeling and logic as abstract ideas - then yes they are surely different and you can not be a computer scientist and psychotherapist at the same time - they will simply have the same functions "coloured" in a different way and of a different quality. What exactly we are talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firslty, type never changes through your life. But it's often hard to find out the type of children under the age 10-16 years (it depends on when this children become more independent) . It's because children trying to be more compatible with their parents types. That's why some children have very obvious type (their parents have type from the same Quadra) and others type is behind the social mask - they trying to look like parents duals or at least have some comfort relations.

But as for older people. There are 4 strong functions in model A - 1st, 2nd, 7th and 8th. 1st and 2nd are realized and 7th and 8th non-realized and often are used without verbalization. But though they are strong, they also need to be train. Next two functions - 5th and 6th are weak, but you can train it with the help of your dual. So they can be strong enough, but they will never be as strong as they are by your dual, who has them in EGO. And two last functions - 3rd and 4th - they are not only weak, but also it hurts, when you try to use them (But 3rd function can be strong by 1st function subtype, but even by this people it looks 'unnaturally' when they use it ). And if one's trying to train 4th function he's got very big chances to have a neurosis from it...
    ---------
    INFp - The Lyrist - subtype

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dual/quadra/compatibility

What if you do not have a dual as a partner or a collegue at work?

What if people do not marry and stay single, does it mean they can develop anything on their own? Where is actually the sense of personality development? What is it we are developing first, second, third and why do we need to develop these different functions and blocks? I have got my vision about it and what is yours or what is an official socionic vision about it?
    Does socionic sugget anything clearly - is there any wholistic theory why we are the way we are and where are we heading....or all comes to get safely supported through your life : to find the dual, your quadra and and this all what you need. I feel really sorry for the whole "dual/quadra explanation" approach. It is a fairy tale story for kids, not adults.... or may be I am simply missing the point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dual/quadra/compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by Olga
    What if you do not have a dual as a partner or a collegue at work?

What if people do not marry and stay single, does it mean they can develop anything on their own? Where is actually the sense of personality development? What is it we are developing first, second, third and why do we need to develop these different functions and blocks? I have got my vision about it and what is yours or what is an official socionic vision about it?
    Does socionic sugget anything clearly - is there any wholistic theory why we are the way we are and where are we heading....or all comes to get safely supported through your life : to find the dual, your quadra and and this all what you need. I feel really sorry for the whole "dual/quadra explanation" approach. It is a fairy tale story for kids, not adults.... or may be I am simply missing the point?
    Well, there is NO official point of view, because socionic is a quite new branch of psycology. As for now there are many schools of thought with different points of view.
    And getting dual is not a panacea, and people of the same Quadra may be not the best company if they have other tastes. To find a compatible type is only a start, you should have much more in common to have good relations. But to have good relations with incompatible type is quite unreal (on a short distance, of course, as friendship or love).
    Andyou can improve your function not only with help of your dual but with help of anybody who has this function in EGO, but I don't think it will be that efficiently as with your dual for some reasons.
    ---------
    INFp - The Lyrist - subtype

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    ...infj, entp, esfp, isfp, entj...
    I went across a really old thread the other day that mentioned INTj

But that's nothing against you Joy, you're great. I just thought it would be funny for trivial matters.

PS: I like the last few posts, too *approving nod*

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Most importantly, only an ENTp would change their type as often as you do.

... the man speaks the truth...

... anyway, I believe type is inborn, and depending on various influences and experiences, we learn to flex the other six functions (yeah, I think we are all born with both a judging and perceiving side). This may sound odd, but I have seen people who have an aparently stong level of both, say, Sensing and Intuition, and when I say strong... I mean strong. I don't mean "Oh look, he uses another of one to get by", but they are both undeniably noteable. I guess the only explaination for this is not that the functions develop in a duality (such as more Thinking= less Feeling, etc...), but mearly that the brain is pliable.
    , I was thinking of posting a topic that describes that the solution to typing the typeless wonders would be to automatically label them as ENTp. The majority of them were ENTp for the longest duration of time.

Interesting that you bring up that type is inborn and the weaker functions develop over time. I had once conceived of the idea that our type isn't fully embedded until we are about 5 years old. It's as if our brain is testing the climate to deterimine, which type would be most pliable and useful and then the selection is based on the environment and the individual's actions. Does this sound plausible?

If you've seen people with equivalently strong intuition and sensing that somewhat contradicts what Jung wrote. He stated that it is possible for someone to share two opposing functions equally, however it is said that these individuals would have weak intuition and sensing, or ethics and logic compared to one that leans more toward one side.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the type is ihnborn and is written into your genetic code. the program/predisposition/destiny is already there for your before you see the world. Type is like a general predisposition. For example if you are born to be a rabbit then you will not be a red or orange rabbit - because they do not exist. There will be a variation among the rabbits but within the limits. I could see the type of my children straigt away after birth because of the distinctive face features: papa's girl, mama's boy.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went across a really old thread the other day that mentioned INTj
    absolutely not
    SEE