Thread: Asperger Syndrome doesn't exist!

Creepy-EddieMorra

Default Asperger Syndrome doesn't exist!

What a bunch of baloney! A disorder where someone can't communicate well with others and you're intelligent AKA a nerd? What's next, a disorder where people are just stupid? Oh they call that intellectually challenged! My bad!

People who can't communicate well with others become that way due to forced isolation from either others or themselves and this usually happens when they are children. The mind is pretty malleable in general, but as a child it is extremely malleable.

For instance, you get a kid who plays the violin a lot when other kids were busy playing with toys, that kid could grow up to be a virtuoso. Maybe a boy spent their entire childhood digging sand, hell he'll be a great landscaper when he grows up!

You can even look at the opposite, say a child never skates his entire life and then decides to skate as an adult. Well he's gonna be a pretty crappy skater and it's probably going to take an extreme amount of practice to even be passably decent.

So if you take that idea and look at a child that never socializes while they're young for whatever reason. Well when they grow up they're gonna end up being socially retarded, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Of course, genetics play a role and you could genetically be more likely to become a nerd, psycho, whore, whatever. However, in the end it's the environment that will ensure whether that genetic switch ends up being turned on or not.

While psychology is good for understanding why someone behaves a certain way. It's still not an excuse to continue acting a certain way. The human mind is malleable even as an adult though not as much as a child or teen. If you're deficient in an area, work at it until you're passably normal.

Though of course there are some rare people that are beyond hope.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might not be rocket science but it could involve some brain surgery...
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A disorder where someone can't communicate well with others and you're intelligent AKA a nerd?
    i love how people use this deductively as in "i can't communicate well... so i MUST be damned intelligent!!"

Creepy-EddieMorra

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    A disorder where someone can't communicate well with others and you're intelligent AKA a nerd?
    i love how people use this deductively as in "i can't communicate well... so i MUST be damned intelligent!!"
    I'm talking about asperger syndrome specifically, obviously there are intelligent people that communicate well with others and unintelligent people that don't communicate well with others.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMorra View Post

I'm talking about asperger syndrome specifically, obviously there are intelligent people that communicate well with others and unintelligent people that don't communicate well with others.
    Semantics.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silly troll, tricks are for kids.

This opinion is so laughably uninformed about what makes an aspy that it's not even worth correcting. Quit trying to stir the pot, you goon.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TROLLAGE ACHEIVED

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? You guys think this is trolling?

If it is it is really ineffective. I mean almost every post in these threads is like entirely apathetic or unconcerned with what is being said.
    Easy Day

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post

This opinion is so laughably uninformed about what makes an aspy that it's not even worth correcting. Quit trying to stir the pot, you goon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post

If it is it is really ineffective. I mean almost every post in these threads is like entirely apathetic or unconcerned with what is being said.
    You literally said the exact same thing as me, sans cheek. For heavens sake, you used the same post structure even.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    Alpha NT?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations! This has been your most insipid thread yet.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post

You literally said the exact same thing as me, sans cheek. For heavens sake, you used the same post structure even.
    lol small world.

EDIT: For the record I am actually laughing at the coincidence, not like an internet "I'm going to type lol and not do it sorta thing."
    Easy Day

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know anyone with Asperger Syndrome?
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, for the record I would just like to say that if Eddie is a troll he is very thoughtful. Posting all these things in the anything goes section.

Also I would like to support you Eddie, your using of pictures is fun. Keep the pictures.
    Easy Day

Creepy-EddieMorra

Quote Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
    No, because it doesn't exist.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol BURN!
    Easy Day

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAY I'M CONTROVERSIAL LOOK AT ME SLAM MY DICK AGAINST THE KEYBOARD WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE

DO WE LOVE ME YET

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread, really taken as a whole, kinda made my day.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me rephrase since you are too ignorant to understand what I meant. Do you know anyone who fits the classification of Asperger Syndrome as defined by the DSM IV?
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me rephrase since you are too ignorant to understand what I meant. Do you know anyone who fits the classification of Asperger Syndrome as defined by the DSM IV?
    Don't bother man, he's just trying to dick with everybody.

Creepy-EddieMorra

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post

Again, people miss the point of the thread. I'm not saying asperger syndrome doesn't exist specifically. I'm saying most psychological disorders shouldn't be taken too seriously as they are merely an arbitrary classification of genetic and environmental collaborations that cause an individual to go out of the norm in their neurological makeup. Yes I know a few people who might fit the description very closely and a lot of people who fit in it partly.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asperger Syndrome doesn't exist!
    I'm talking about asperger syndrome specifically
    I'm not saying asperger syndrome doesn't exist specifically.

Creepy-EddieMorra

LOL at robots taking everything I say literally.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol @ your inconsistency.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Creepy-EddieMorra

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    lol @ your consistent inability to comprehend my threads

Creepy-Snaps

EddieMorra has Asperger's.

Creepy-EddieMorra

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Haha, too bad Asperger's doesn't exist!

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post

So you don't exist? k, I'm fine with that.

Creepy-EddieMorra

Quote Originally Posted by sleep View Post

So you don't exist? k, I'm fine with that.
    I'm a figment of your imagination.

Creepy-Snaps

Weak/Unvalued Ti. And since EddieMorra fits the Serious dichotomy, he's most definitely got to be either Gamma or Delta. Personally I'm leaning towards Gamma for him.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, say it doesn't exist, do you think it's good that we have it considered a disorder? Given the nature of workplaces and of schools, it may be difficult for "those with Asperger" to integrate well and comfortably into the society. If we had the capacity to acknowledge their different thought processes, they might be able to get along swimmingly in the community their in. But such communities do not have such capacities - they must follow some curriculum or churn out enough goods at a certain rate. Seeing that, is it good for the people who are somehow socially impeded to have assistance - psychologically - dealing with their exception disability?

Then of course, comes the question of how they should be treated: I'd imagine a fair amount of "those with Aspergers" would be treated with drugs, rather than helping how to adapt.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol @ your consistent inability to comprehend my threads
    lol @ your ability to not be informative or interesting or funny

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weak/Unvalued Ti. And since EddieMorra fits the Serious dichotomy, he's most definitely got to be either Gamma or Delta. Personally I'm leaning towards Gamma for him.
    he is Divided, i.e. INFp.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Again, people miss the point of the thread. I'm not saying asperger syndrome doesn't exist specifically. I'm saying most psychological disorders shouldn't be taken too seriously as they are merely an arbitrary classification of genetic and environmental collaborations that cause an individual to go out of the norm in their neurological makeup. Yes I know a few people who might fit the description very closely and a lot of people who fit in it partly.
    Your inconsistency has already been pointed out so I won't talk about that.

I would obviously disagree with you that mental disorders aren't serious. I would say coming up with a specific label for everyone isn't that important. What matters is helping people to cope and adjust. I'm pretty sure I know a lot of people, including myself, who would like for people to take psychological disorders seriously so we can improve treatment of them.

Default Really?

This argument is ridiculous and ignorant. It's like saying that depression doesn't exist because people should stop being sad, or that schizophrenia doesn't exist because it's just people who are too paranoid. Or that autism doesn't exist because it's just people acting autistic. The environment and genes influence who we become. But Asperger's is a legitimate disorder just like schizophrenia or autism.

Default Side note...

Galen, you are a good person.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What a bunch of baloney! A disorder where someone can't communicate well with others and you're intelligent AKA a nerd? What's next, a disorder where people are just stupid? Oh they call that intellectually challenged! My bad!

People who can't communicate well with others become that way due to forced isolation from either others or themselves and this usually happens when they are children. The mind is pretty malleable in general, but as a child it is extremely malleable.

For instance, you get a kid who plays the violin a lot when other kids were busy playing with toys, that kid could grow up to be a virtuoso. Maybe a boy spent their entire childhood digging sand, hell he'll be a great landscaper when he grows up!

You can even look at the opposite, say a child never skates his entire life and then decides to skate as an adult. Well he's gonna be a pretty crappy skater and it's probably going to take an extreme amount of practice to even be passably decent.

So if you take that idea and look at a child that never socializes while they're young for whatever reason. Well when they grow up they're gonna end up being socially retarded, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Of course, genetics play a role and you could genetically be more likely to become a nerd, psycho, whore, whatever. However, in the end it's the environment that will ensure whether that genetic switch ends up being turned on or not.

While psychology is good for understanding why someone behaves a certain way. It's still not an excuse to continue acting a certain way. The human mind is malleable even as an adult though not as much as a child or teen. If you're deficient in an area, work at it until you're passably normal.

Though of course there are some rare people that are beyond hope.
    You might not be around anymore but you never know.

Why do I think you were recently diagnosed before posting this

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Two years later, this troll thread still gets bites lol. Anyways, I think Asperger syndrome is real, but overdiagnosed among other psychological disorders imo. I haven't been diagnosed with anything due to never visiting a psychiatrist btw. Ignorance is bliss.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:/
    Last edited by fen; 06-28-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter was diagnosed with autism and has changed from "moderate to severe" to "mild to moderate". In her case, the category of autism is what more closely lumps her issues for assistance rather than having the same cause for those issues. In my daughter's case, I was on a variety of psychological mediactions during a time frame which covers months before conception, conception, and up to 5 months after conception. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I immediately stopped taking all meds. One medication in particular has had a few studies done on it and its effects on fetal brain development. It's believed that it basically blocks the brain from processing a certain protein/? which is needed for creating connections. It's not that connections and learning don't occur...just that it is now a much more difficult process. The difficulties are most noticeable during the early learning years, but as learning does happen, and the closer new learnings are to what was already learned, over time the effects are hardly noticeable (other than when trying to teach her something new, or she is faced with completely new experiences.)

This difficulty led to autistic-like behavioral symptoms. But since she was extroverted and sought out social interactions, this was all dismissed when she was younger, despite people sensing something wrong with her and avoiding her or bullying her for being different. So, not only was she having difficulties because of her brain, but then social problems were added on top of that. When i homeschooled her, we were able to cover a bunch of that, including lots of successful and positive social interactions. But it was completely exhausting, and so she went back to public school.

She did better in school this time, but the kids still sensed that something was off about her, and the bullying and avoidance resumed. Finally, however, she had a school counselor who paid attention to the teacher complaints and questions and helped get the ball rolling to get my daughter the help she needed. Once she had the diagnosis of 'autism', then not only did my daughter feel better about herself, but some of the kids finally understood what was going on with her and backed off. Not all, but enough that she was able to finally make some friends who would stick around (or still come back) when certain behaviors would appear. AND, finally she was able to get help and support by people who were trained in dealing with the issues she was dealing with.

Now, her only main issues are difficulty processing auditory information, and difficulties when there is a change. She's been learning about and understanding her needs in work/school/social environments, and how to communicate those needs. And she finally has a support team who have been guiding her towards being capable of living a productive, happy, and independent life.

Edited to add: And no, medication has never been suggested, offered, nor desired.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp