Thread: Facebook "friends"

TIM
    EIE (-Ni?)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Facebook "friends"

How do you manage your Facebook friends list?

As in, do you ever get rid of people? And if so, is it a widespread clearing out, or is it just deleting people you don't really like?

And how might this relate to type?

i have like 23 ppl ,mostly family.recently,i put it in invisible mode ;D till now i've only deleted 2 persons and their reaction was so annoying.the first one i had to accept again as a friend because i meet her on a daily basis and i just said that some fb mistake took her off my list.but then i deleted her again and she didn't mention anything.we are cool,though.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear that site will be the death of me. I read into updates and status' too much and some people post stuff that's way too personal. I keep it updated by deleting someone I never talk to each time I get a new friend request. A couple people I work with friend requested me and I haven't said one word to them ever before and there's that moment of awkwardness when you see each other in person because now do you HAVE to be friends IRL because they're your facebook friend? It's so weird. I've tried to get rid of it but it's too addictive, i'd be so out of the loop without it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to try and keep it under 300 people. Now it's exceeded that and I still add at least one or two people a week. I've made a lot more use of the ignore feature, where you can hide people's posts from your own news feed. That's helped a lot, I don't worry about people who decide that everything in their life needs to be on facebook... Since their posts don't get into my news feed I don't have to feel the need to delete them since they're irritating...lol.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have dunno like 200 friends. I never unfriend anyone, but I don't accept every friend request I get.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    A couple people I work with friend requested me and I haven't said one word to them ever before and there's that moment of awkwardness when you see each other in person because now do you HAVE to be friends IRL because they're your facebook friend? It's so weird.
    I know what you mean. Even stranger, I tend to accept the request and then actively avoid some of them irl.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook friends in itself mean nothing to me. Some of them are real life friends, some are people I met a few times, some are people I know well, some are people I barely know. I use facebook to sneakpeak into their lives. Actually facebook is probably least needed for real life friends but more for people you rarely keep in touch, it allows to do it more frequently.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only deleted one facebook friend, and that was because he would make stupid comments on my photos. He was very annoying. I only accept friend requests from people I know.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No Longer a Dating Site View Post
    Facebook friends in itself mean nothing to me. Some of them are real life friends, some are people I met a few times, some are people I know well, some are people I barely know. I use facebook to sneakpeak into their lives. Actually facebook is probably least needed for real life friends but more for people you rarely keep in touch, it allows to do it more frequently.
    I've actually been successfully able to become closer friends, via fb friendship, to some people i barely knew before.

But in reference to the OP, I also do go through my friends list and defriend people if they've been way too distant for a long time and/or if for some reason they've lost all respect from me. Oh yeah, and i definitely ignore the friend requests from people i dont know. gotten a few of those, usually from guys looking through a mutual friend's photos that include me.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I frequently delete people.. If I add them and they are posting annoying shit I delete them. I delete people I have no interest in talking to, but only if I don't feel like there's a chance I can run into them.. Also don't delete family, no matter how annoying they are.

What this has to do with type... No idea

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Sounds about the same for me. However, it has allowed me to become friends with people online that would be impossible to be friends with in real life.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I deleted my account, though since all FB my frenz are people I actually know from meatspace I've got all their phone numbers and email addresses.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@OP: Facebook is not the only social networking site. I never made a FB account, I'll talk about social networking in general.

Type: ILE. I need reasons for having contacts. Either I admire something in them, they admire something about me, we have something in common (or if I feel there's some future potential), etc (music bands, interests). Of course, I accept friends and acquiantances from real life, if it's meaningful to me - some people I simply know, but there's nothing more than that. Many users have hundreds or thousands of "friends", I don't want to be associated with them by default, unless they're a band, or in a business so they have good reasons for it. They just want to add some random user to their indiscriminate collection.
    Some people travel a lot and like to have people they met as contacts, that I can understand. So again, if there is a justification, I'm all for it, otherwise no.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Facebook friends in itself mean nothing to me. Some of them are real life friends, some are people I met a few times, some are people I know well, some are people I barely know.
    basically this. i go through random adding sprees once in awhile when i'm bored. i'm like "oh so that's what so-and-so looks like now" and then i never look at their profile again.

i've only deleted people who were strangers i added for game numbers back when i played them.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I deactivated my fb account awhile ago. I had maybe 250 friends. Started feeling uncomfortable about documenting my life and my people that way, which led to hardly ever saying anything which led to why bother at all then.

The only people I wouldn't friend were the stalking type that I didn't know. Didn't typically unfriend anybody since you can just ignore them if you want.

Also thought it was a couch potato-time suck.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I sometimes delete people I don't really like. Then they ask to be my friend again and I accept because I know them. I have a lot of categorization for my friends list. By whether they mean anything to me, by whether we're related, and by their type if I know it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never bothered to clean my account out. Probably should, considering all the people I have no interest in ever speaking to. Don't see how it would be type-related, unless we're paying attention to the types of people being deleted.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They all say that...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I've never bothered to clean my account out.
    I regularly clean my facebook wall.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

they all say what?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That. THING. That they say.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    That. THING. That they say.
    Truth!

[They all say that] and [they all say that [they all say that]].

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every once in a while I will go through my friends list and delete people I never knew really well and will probably never run into again. I don't understand why people I've deleted will add me again. They didn't get it the first time. I like being able to keep up with whats going on in friends lives who are far away and it's easier to send a message over facebook than to email. It's also good for being able to see photos that others have taken of you.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I never delete people, it would be rude and horrible to cut someone out of your life and future like that

I got to reconnect with a lot of people I knew since small times, meet lots of new ones - some people from Indonesia added me, we talked about how it is where we're at, I showed them pictures of Northeast Ohio and all that I took every time I get someone on board, it's pretty good...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Creepy-Snaps

I rarely/never delete people on Facebook. And I'm proactive in adding people I know as friends. I have over 750 friends. Not too much, I know some people who are more addicted to facebook than I am, and they have thousands!

Back when Myspace was popular, I did go through once and delete 200 or so people, people I never spoke with anymore. So I can understand why people delete others. Why should I pretend to be friends, if we don't even talk?

But now, I outgrew that thinking. The purpose of a social networking site, to me, is to stay connected with people, ESPECIALLY those you don't normally talk with anymore. Therefore, I never delete anybody anymore.

And I get frustrated if someone else 'cleans' their friend list and deletes me.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

7 or 8 I remember adding, don't know about rest, didn't log in ages. Prefer to keep things contained adding people I know/got close to only. It is nothing personal, I got it for myself on request to be honest and I like that.

Those who are there, are people from 16types, only. Again.

Spend more time relaxing in a tranquil pub atmosphere, anyway.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook is for me to throw random thoughts around on whim, if people want to comment on it, so be it. It's also handy as a way for people to get a hold of me, not that that happens very often anyway.

I have twenty nine friends, which include co-workers I like, some family and other people who I've met along they way. I used to add people from my high school years, but I deleted them all beacuse I realized I didn't really know them and would never care to meet them again anyway.
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I add people from forums and offline, so long as I have some idea of where I know them from. I delete friends on occasion, for various reasons.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I've never bothered to clean my account out.
    I regularly clean my facebook wall.
    so do I! And I don't know anyone else who does that!

I don't think I've ever un-friended anyone. But I also don't friend everyone who asks. For example, there were a couple people from my high school class that I simply did not remember that I never accepted requests from.

I've de-activated my account several times but always came back to it, mostly because there are some people from other towns that I enjoy seeing on there from time to time.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I swear that site will be the death of me. I read into updates and status' too much and some people post stuff that's way too personal. I keep it updated by deleting someone I never talk to each time I get a new friend request. A couple people I work with friend requested me and I haven't said one word to them ever before and there's that moment of awkwardness when you see each other in person because now do you HAVE to be friends IRL because they're your facebook friend? It's so weird. I've tried to get rid of it but it's too addictive, i'd be so out of the loop without it.
    You are not Fe dual seeking.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

I usually accept everyone that has a few mutual friends with me, but the truth is, I don't care enough about that site to delete anyone. But people who actually care about being deleted from FB friends confound me.
    Last edited by nil; 07-12-2011 at 04:17 PM.