Thread: The reason intelligent life has not contacted us

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The reason intelligent life has not contacted us

Is because intelligence would only benefit a eusocial species. As it stands, complex and unified society on the scale required for achieving the feats of engineering, both in efficiently harnessing resources, and in developing the knowledge to achieve these feats, is impossible. Genetics has wired us as a species to compete and favour the individual over civilisation. Mathematically the optimum strategy for any group is Always Cooperate. Nature shows evidence for this: eusocial insects are the most populous and successful form of life on the planet.

By the time any species learns the benefits of cooperation, they may well have managed to deplete their natural resources beyond the point they might be put toward interstellar travel and communication. The other possibility is that no intelligent species has yet developed to the point of being able to achieve these things, or if they have, they're too far away and haven't reached us yet.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The reason intelligent life has not contacted us
    They don't have our phone number.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you 'contact' ants in your backyard?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    Do you 'contact' ants in your backyard?
    Fungus Cat Cole

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because it would be unintelligent to get involved with the human race and all its problems.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hawkin's says that if we make contact with aliens, they would likely want to erradicate us.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Hawkin's says that if we make contact with aliens, they would likely want to erradicate us.
    Colonise. That's what missionaries did when they first encountered "aliens".

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

In my opinion the reason intelligent life has not contacted us because the only intelligent life that is capable of contacting us is at a extremely higher level than us intellectually and technology wise. Intelligent life that is at our level is unlikely to be able to contact us due to limitations in technology.

Basically it will be like us trying to contact an ant-like species in another planet. It makes little to no sense to do so because they're significantly inferior to us and we can learn a lot more simply by observing them. This is why I think higher intelligent life than us most likely observes us from a distance and has no interest in communication.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol @ sheeple thinking they haven't contacted "us".

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    lol @ sheeple thinking they haven't contacted "us".

The ironic thing is aliens probably look at us in the same way we look at sheep, inferior and stupid. Would you be interested in contacting aliens that were sheep-like? Use your imagination!
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aware View Post
    Would you be interested in contacting aliens that were sheep-like? Use your imagination!
    They'd probably want to contact us aliens to experiment on our anatomy and development and how it differs from there's.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by We Are Carbon View Post
    Would you be interested in contacting aliens that were sheep-like? Use your imagination!
    They'd probably want to contact us aliens to experiment on our anatomy and development and how it differs from there's.
    Haha! True!

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speak for yourselves. not all humans are sheep-like.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

speak for yourselves. not all humans are sheep-like.
    You continue to miss the point!

All humans look stupid and inferior to an alien species that is far superior to us in intelligence and technology. Most likely the only kind of alien species that has the ability to contact us.

Imagine going on a mission to look for the most deep and unique donkey to have an insightful conversation with, good luck! Except you labcoat, you are a special and unique snowflake, I'm sure they'll want to talk to you, while ignoring the rest of us sheep!

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All humans look stupid and inferior to an alien species that is far superior to us in intelligence and technology.
    uhm, no. like i said, speak for yourself.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

All humans look stupid and inferior to an alien species that is far superior to us in intelligence and technology.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Alpha NT?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure that an alien civilization, which has developed technologically to the extent that it is capable of manned interstellar travel, would like nothing better than to travel to Earth to have a chat with me about the weather.

---

The fact that no alien civilization has intentionally contacted us provides us with no information whatsoever. We can reason a priori that if an alien civilization existed that was capable of contacting us, it would be so far ahead of us technologically and in terms of intelligence that it would have nothing to gain by contacting us. A more interesting question might be why we have not been inadvertently contacted by an alien civilization -- for example, why haven't we picked up a radio signal coming from an alien soap opera broadcast?

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Colonise. That's what missionaries did when they first encountered "aliens".
    Yes, they will tell us more about the being we should worship.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's just that they could be completely different from us. Rather than contacting each other using words, they some how have some telepathic connection. Rather than needing to run experiments to see how the world is, they have the mental capacity to work things out (House M.D. style, but severely extended).

I mean, ultimately, imagine this species to be capable of things that are not just amazingly smart, but actually beyond what we have developed as a species.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, assuming you are correct about everything you stated, with regards to advancing to the point of interstellar travel, it doesn't effect humans. Or rather it might but is unimportant because we've reached a point were robots do our science for us. No pesky us to stand in our own way because we're not really paving the way anymore.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19273...ing-human.html

I love they way this site both cites it's sources and is humorous.
    Easy Day

Creepy-EddieMorra

It's obvious intelligent life would only want to communicate with me as I'm the only person alive that has the intellectual capacity and telepathic ability to communicate with them.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That giant-ass mound is built by this tiny little creature:

Leafcutter ants are eusocial insects. All the workers are sterile and work solely toward one goal: expansion. The queen is protected at all costs.

Much like how all the organelles in our body work together to produce cells, and all our cells work together to form tissues and organs inside our body, imagine what we could achieve if we worked together as a single species. We could have cities in the sky by now, yet instead we have only our history books stained in blood, and colossal monuments to greed and hatred in the form of self-servicing big business like Telstra, Exxon, the war in Iraq, and genocide upon genocide.

This is sad, because rationally there is no reason to compete or service yourself. In a game of the prisoner's dilemma, while defecting while the other player cooperates gives the defector the greatest gain, the system of both players experiences a diminished net yield. If people engaged their neocortex and reasoned and contributed to society through self-servicing altruism, we would not be in our present sorry state of global affairs. As it stands, as a species, we seem to be enslaved by our limbic system.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are a speck of dust in the cosmos.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry, he may change his mind after a while. And he didn't say that, he said that they would likely want to invade us in order to exploit our resources. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7107207.ece
    ---

Anyway, what Hawking doesn't count is the point in our evolution where we refer everything to - namely current times. We are just some worms in a glass that eat a small piece of organic matter and because of our blindness we just steal the closest/easiest slice from the others. We need air, we need water, we need oil, all provided by the nature, but slowly we'll advance towards not having anything given by the nature, we will have to provide it ourselves. Some indicatives: alternative energies instead of merely sinking the bucket in oil, recycling, genetic engineering for food, etc. It may be the case that as such advanced level they can provide themselves everything they need, materially, or take all the resources they need (energy, minerals, etc) out of everything. We are really still mokeys in a forest that need the fruits the trees grow, if and when we will pass this stage, things may become totally different, IMO.

Our morals/manners change too, we're still only few steps above primitivism, this "default" nature of invading and exploiting the easiest prey might not be the case in the future. Our primitive surviving instinct appears to fade away, civilization created people who kill themselves for different rational reasons, people who rather die than steal to survive, and so on. The more advanced we become, the more important the meaning becomes to us, rather than than satisfying the bare necessities, let alone reproducing. That would be one thing, the other thing would be how different another civilization could be - it is not necessary to evolve like us. We expanded our interests into all areas, but are they actually "all areas", isn't this rather a very limited selection which includes the common denominator of stealing what others have instead of handling it ourselves? There were a lot of cultures on Earth that were neither warrior or invasive, that could live in a certain place indefinitely, even after they discovered weapons and tools, what if the invasive cultures had not existed, does that necessarily mean that the others would have become such? I think there are a lot of questions...

Also, related to that - since humanity expanded their interests in a lot of directions, we falsely (IMO) assume that any intelligent civilization will do that. Business and exploitation are basically cultural trends, business for the business sake is a habit, having more and more and more is a psychological issue, rather than an inherent biological one. Exploiting everything and everyone we can reach. A deviance, I'd add as a personal opinion. Humans - at least the current selection with the current nurtured habits - have this irrational crave for "more", does anything guarantees that the individuals of an alien civilization would feel these emotions? Nothing even guarantees that they will try to exploit everything, including what they don't need, like we got used to do.

Regarding habits that we take for granted - and often delude ourselves considering them "natural" -, if we were living in a world of corruption, like people in a lot of countries actually are, we would assume that it is impossible to have a civilization almost free of corruption, wouldn't we? Or rape. With that mentality one thinks "Come one, how could you refuse someone who offers you a bribe, don't you need money?". This is not necessarily a matter of human nature and evolution, as maybe one of accident. Perhaps the aliens that will contact us won't possess this pathological need to always have "more" and "different", like if no new Hollywood movie appeared at least once a week you feel that the world is fucked up.

If that was human or animal nature, why do not all animals adapt so, and why not all trives adapted so? The Publo indians told Carl Jung:
    "See how cruel the whites look. Their lips are thin, their noses sharp, their faces furrowed and distorted by folds. Their eyes have a staring expression; they are always seeking something. What are they seeking? The whites always want something; they are always uneasy and restless. We do not know what they want. We do not understand them. We think they are mad."
    Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is actually a principle that makes any possible civilization necessarily invasive, but at this point I fail to see it. My 2 cents.

Oh, one more thing: any planet can normally support its entire civilization, just it can support only a limited number of individuals.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    me>> Augusta whore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsshadow View Post
    Because it would be unintelligent to get involved with the human race and all its problems.
    Have to replay the truth.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they have intelligence so far beyond us, we would be like chimps trying to predict what the humans are going to do.

Also, why does what Hawkins thinks carry any weight? He may be genius physicist, but how would he know anything about how alien intelligences think?
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post

We are a speck of dust in the cosmos.
    http://primaxstudio.com/stuff/scale_of_universe/
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intelligent life ahead of us will find a way to get to a more stable parallel universe, and leave this one.

That's why we don't see them here.

Yet when we will be intelligent enough, we will leave too, and meet them. Tadaa.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Intelligent life ahead of us will find a way to get to a more stable parallel universe, and leave this one.
    Or maybe they found a way to discard the many-worlds interpretation and they don't believe in parallel universes anymore, the same manner we found a way to discard the necessity of a creator.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Creepy-Snaps

Intelligent life has contacted us already, but our governments 'protect' us and don't share anything. CONSPIRACY!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

they might be watching us right now from inside the "moon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceship_Moon_Theory

at least according to a russian pseudoscientific theory.
    Last edited by ashlesha; 07-05-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Intelligent life has contacted us already, but our governments 'protect' us and don't share anything. CONSPIRACY!
    Labcoat's dual after all.
    Non-duals can agree on things too. Jus' sayin'.

P.S. I'M LIKE TOTAAAALLY ESI ASHTON, OMG WE'RE DUALZZZZZ.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/spaceship_moon_theory

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name." I was ready for an interesting read!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i fixed the link.

edit: god damnit does it need to have proper capitalization? you can wait while i figure it out or just google it

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceship_Moon_Theory

Click

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    My duals would never screech like that.
    That's what I call Fe orgasm.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard this from an ILE:

The only way to do interstellar travel would be to somehow figure out how to copy the mind to a hard disk (or some other media) and then send the hard disk out in space. The person himself would stay on earth. When it reaches the reciever after millions of years they would have to figure out how to transfer the content of the hard disk back to a living organism.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    By the time any species learns the benefits of cooperation, they may well have managed to deplete their natural resources beyond the point they might be put toward interstellar travel and communication. The other possibility is that no intelligent species has yet developed to the point of being able to achieve these things, or if they have, they're too far away and haven't reached us yet.
    yeah, an intelligent species with the capacity for dimensional time-travel and telepathic communication wouldn't have been able to reach us "by now."

higher intelligences don't exist, and therefore we will be incessantly chasing vague clues as to our origin, living under a secretive government and technologically sawing the umbilical cord until we perish.

higher intelligences do exist, and have been around much longer than us, hence the nature of Atlantean, Egyptian etc. civilizations, the -incessant tracing of vague clues to our origins- and the convenient technological growth that always seems a step behind itself, with the govt being the main sponsors. these beings thus are observing, because this cycle of cosmic evolution must be completed.

silly. if they existed, our making contact would be at their discretion, which would point away from destructive desires. all present signs point to a distant neutrality. like if you were watching a bunch of ants build and destroy hills etc., would you bother interfering, or just let them carry it out until "they learned better"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post

That's why we don't see them here.

Yet when we will be intelligent enough, we will leave too, and meet them. Tadaa.
    agreed. omnia est unum.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love (euphemism) when americans cheesily utilize latin locutions. Per Aspera ad astra.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol... english just gets boring
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast