Thread: Shy Extraverts and Social Introverts

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Shy Extraverts and Social Introverts

Just saw pianosinger's thread about unimaginative intuitives and imaginative sensors and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about this.

There are some extraverts that can be shy and can appear introverted and usually they tend to be intuitives. Also there are introverts that can be talkative and can appear extraverted and usually they tend to be sensors.

Anyways, I think this is why it can make it more difficult to type yourself because then you have to look at the functions to figure out what you really are rather than your social behaviour, and in the end functions are merely metaphorical representations of actual cognitive functions.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can appear shy when around ESEs.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESFp and ESFj are more introverted than others E
    hmm Extroverted introverts can be ISFj

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Note that socionics introtim/extrotim has little to do with the vernacular usage of introversion/extroversion.

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...haracteristics

A common misconception, also compounded by some interpretations of MBTI or even of Jung's typology, is that extratims are extraverted as in "socially outgoing", and intratims are introverted as in "socially reserved".
    Roughly speaking, Jung's interpretation of extroversion/introversion is:

Extroversion- Oriented predominately by the outer world, with psychic energy tending to flow outward.
    Introversion- Oriented predominately by the inner "world", with psychic energy tending to flow inward.

It has also been regarded as objective/subjective and object/relation. At any rate, it is so that orientation of the psychic energy does not create hard lines of outgoing/reserved, so outgoing introverts/reserved extroverts is perfectly feasible.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    Note that socionics introtim/extrotim has little to do with the vernacular usage of introversion/extroversion.

A common misconception, also compounded by some interpretations of MBTI or even of Jung's typology, is that extratims are extraverted as in "socially outgoing", and intratims are introverted as in "socially reserved".

Extroversion- Oriented predominately by the outer world, with psychic energy tending to flow outward.
    Introversion- Oriented predominately by the inner "world", with psychic energy tending to flow inward.

It has also been regarded as objective/subjective and object/relation. At any rate, it is so that orientation of the psychic energy does not create hard lines of outgoing/reserved, so outgoing introverts/reserved extroverts is perfectly feasible.
    Yes

I find Delta Extratims to be the least extroverted out of all Extratims in general, and Beta Introtims to be the most outgoing of all Introtims in general, though SEIs are pretty outgoing at times... I get a bit less outgoing in winter months, and that's probably due to the change of seasons...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is supposed to read the exact opposite way, right?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm aware of this, but it can be trickier to determine if an introvert was shaped at young childhood to be more energized by the outer world, and an extrovert was pressured at young childhood to be more energized by the inner world. I guess you could say these people are at the cusp as a result of the environment.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    this is supposed to read the exact opposite way, right?
    big mistake from me, time to go sleep

here I found quite interesting information
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ht=extraverted

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungAndAware View Post
    I'm aware of this, but it can be trickier to determine if an introvert was shaped at young childhood to be more energized by the outer world, and an extrovert was pressured at young childhood to be more energized by the inner world. I guess you could say these people are at the cusp as a result of the environment.
    I have little doubt that personality is shaped by both inborn tendencies and environmental interference but I can't be sure to what extent. At any rate, I understand what you are saying, but you specifically mentioned "shy extroverts" and "social introverts". Perhaps I am wrong, but I'm not sure if orientation by outer or inner world can be related to shyness or sociability. That is, I'm not sure if an introvert being socially outgoing will indicate that he is more shaped by the outer world as you are saying here. It could be that he is still shaped by the inner world as much as any other introvert, and he is just more outgoing. Is the gradation of introversion/extroversion tied to the level of sociability one portrays? Eh, maybe, but even still, one shouldn't judge introversion/extroversion by whether he is shy or outgoing.

Gulenko, it seems, believes that the level of sociability an individual has is more related to subtype. I'm not sure if I believe that, and I certainly don't agree with making even more dichotomies, but here it is. Contact/Distance, he calls it.

The post pianosinger posted that Anglas linked to might also be valuable, but still not 100% accurate in all cases.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed that a number of LSI I know tend to be social, or at least far more social than myself and most LII.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungAndAware View Post
    I have little doubt that personality is shaped by both inborn tendencies and environmental interference but I can't be sure to what extent. At any rate, I understand what you are saying, but you specifically mentioned "shy extroverts" and "social introverts". Perhaps I am wrong, but I'm not sure if orientation by outer or inner world can be related to shyness or sociability. That is, I'm not sure if an introvert being socially outgoing will indicate that he is more shaped by the outer world as you are saying here. It could be that he is still shaped by the inner world as much as any other introvert, and he is just more outgoing. Is the gradation of introversion/extroversion tied to the level of sociability one portrays? Eh, maybe, but even still, one shouldn't judge introversion/extroversion by whether he is shy or outgoing.

Gulenko, it seems, believes that the level of sociability an individual has is more related to subtype. I'm not sure if I believe that, and I certainly don't agree with making even more dichotomies, but here it is. Contact/Distance, he calls it.

The post pianosinger posted that Anglas linked to might also be valuable, but still not 100% accurate in all cases.
    I agree with you on the fact that sociability and extraversion/introversion are not necessarily compatible if only slightly. I also think subtypes just complicate things further unnecessarily and aren't required.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

producing subtypes are more extraverted than accepting subtypes.

Maybe that's got something to do with it...?