TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Understanding of Duality-- a Functional Breakdown

Base and Suggestive/Dual-Seeking Interaction

What you most need and desire in support of your Base, but struggle to provide for yourself, is something your Dual is perfectly equipped to provide for you. Indeed, he will be eager to share his most natural and valued strength with you, and you will probably need provide only the most subtle hints in order to get what you need psychologically.

Often, your Dual-Seeking function is something you might not even be aware that you need. Like the phrase "ignorance is bliss" suggests, if you have rarely been exposed to or made aware of your needs in the area of your Suggestive function, you may even go on for many years not even realizing what you're missing. For a person exposed to Duality (or Semi-Duality) for this first time, it can be very much like a sugar-deprived child tasting candy for the first time: you're likely to think "where have you been all my life?" and may even become "addicted" in a way. What you once existed happily without, all of a sudden you can't bear to let it go, and you find yourself wanting more more more.

Creative and Mobilizing/Hidden Agenda Interaction

Even though the Mobilizing function is considered weak, you feel a certain phschological pull or urge to improve yourself and become strong in this area. Consequently, you naturally-- albeit sporadically-- put a good deal of time and effort into your Hidden Agenda. When this happens, however, efforts related to your Creative function tend to get put on hold, or neglected.

Even though your Creative function is strong and valued, you may find yourself sometimes wishing for it to just take care of itself, as you focus on your Base and Hidden Agenda. As a result, the Creative function may be referred to as a "pseudo-dual-seeking" function. Next to your Dual's Base function, his Mobilizing function will probably be the second-most useful to you, as yours will be to him.

The Creative-Mobilizing interaction between Duals is probably what really keeps Duality so fulfilling and interesting, as you naturally encourage and support each other in self-improvement efforts related to your Hidden Agendas.

Role and Ignoring/Observing Interaction

At times, you will feel the need to exert yourself in your Role function. Efforts related to the Role, however, are uncomfortable at best, and something that you will try to avoid or put off as your Role function directly opposes your Base.

Expending too much time and effort in your Role can leave you feeling particularly exhausted and out of touch with yourself. However, as stated above, you will still feel pressure to focus on your Role at times, as a "necessary evil," particularly when it comes to defending or protecting yourself against pressures on your Vulnerable function, which is even more uncomfortable to focus on than your Role.

Your Dual is perfectly suited to you, then, as your Role function is his Ignoring-- or Observing-- function. Your Dual is one of those rare individuals who will likely never put pressure on your Role; and when other forces try to do so, your Dual will be there to support you and help navigate you though, while at the same time helping you to not take it all too seriously.

Keep in mind that your Dual is not very likely to want to actually take over for you when it comes to your Role function, so you will end up having to take care of yourself much of the time. You Dual will be there to help you, but more as a sort of coach/cheerleader. You will still be the one out there on the field, playing the game.

Vulnerable/PoLR and Demonstrative Interaction

Just as your Dual's Base supports your weakest valued function (Suggestive), your Dual's Demostrative function is perfectly positioned to support your psyche's weakest unvalued function, your Vulnerable function, or Point of Least Resistance.

Because the Demonstrative funciton comes so naturally, while at the same time being unvalued, one is often consciously unaware of its manifestations in himself, and hardly cares to think about it even when it is pointed out to him. Your Dual's Demonstrative function, then, is perfectly suited to your PoLR, which is so weak and unnatural to you, that you don't want to think about it, either.

So, you and your Dual can both exist together, he performing without much thought his Demostrative nature, in a way that you will be free to almost completely neglect the Vulnerable in yourself, and avoid the necessity of engaging in it as long as your Dual is around.
    Last edited by pianosinger; 06-06-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow i love these... did u come up with this pianosinger???

One thing i'd adjust is the part about the "downside" being the dual not stepping in to take over the role function. I wouldn't call it a downside, because if your dual did step in to take over the role function, you would not like that at all since the function is unvalued.

Essentially if you dual did take over the role function (e.g. Se for us IEEs), that would be what a beta ST would do. I dont think either of us would respond favorably to that or see it in a positive light. So I'm just saying, imo it's not a "downside."
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    wow i love these... did u come up with this pianosinger???
    Yes, I did. Well that is, I wrote it, in my own words. A lot of it is probably stuff that experienced socionists already know, at least intuitively.

One thing i'd adjust is the part about the "downside" being the dual not stepping in to take over the role function. I wouldn't call it a downside, because if your dual did step in to take over the role function, you would not like that at all since the function is unvalued.

Essentially if you dual did take over the role function (e.g. Se for us IEEs), that would be what a beta ST would do. I dont think either of us would respond favorably to that or see it in a positive light. So I'm just saying, imo it's not a "downside."
    Good point. I fixed it
    My life's work (haha):

Creepy-Snaps

Bump. This is very well-written, pianosinger.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Thank ya kindly

I've been thinking of trying this same thing for some of the other relations. Would probably feel more motivated if I had gotten more affirmation/encouragement from this one, but...Maybe I'll go ahead and do it anyway...someday...
    My life's work (haha):

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Thank ya kindly

I've been thinking of trying this same thing for some of the other relations. Would probably feel more motivated if I had gotten more affirmation/encouragement from this one, but...Maybe I'll go ahead and do it anyway...someday...
    i could relate to your description, look forward to reading the next one

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good. I enjoyed it, it was easy to read, and it was succinct and descriptive. Cool!
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank ya kindly

It was well-written and easy to understand. Please write another one? Curious to see what you can come up with.
    Reason is a whore.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! That was fantastic. Very thoughtful. That's MY dual!
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that these sort of things should be added to the Wikisocion site, seeing that there's so much consensus on it. (What's happening with that site at the moment?) Probably with pianosinger's name added at the bottom, so if anyone has any problems with it they can consult the relevant author, rather than just changing it. Anyway, I do like the explanation.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by We Are Carbon View Post
    I think that these sort of things should be added to the Wikisocion site, seeing that there's so much consensus on it. (What's happening with that site at the moment?) Probably with pianosinger's name added at the bottom, so if anyone has any problems with it they can consult the relevant author, rather than just changing it. Anyway, I do like the explanation.
    Wow, thanks! Coming from my Supervisor...

How does Wikisocion work? Can anybody join and contribute?
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank ya kindly

Do it do it!!! I cant wait to read them!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unbornesia View Post
    This is very well written & easy to understand, this gets my for wikisocion, could you do one for contrary or super-ego when you have time? Benefit would also be really interesting.
    I'm working on more right now. Already got a few more up, you can go to the "Intertype Relations" subforum, or find the links in my blog post here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709

I'm afraid they won't all be as good as this one, though. I'm also writing them up pretty fast in order to get them all completed, because I know if I take too long I am liable to never finish. So, some future editing may be in order.

Expect most-- if not all-- of the relation descriptions to be up within the next week or so.
    My life's work (haha):

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

discojoe's Si Demonstrative to ******'s Si PoLR:

"You fucking idiot. How is an army supposed to brave subzero temperatures without proper cold weather attire? How is a watchman going to watch anything when it's so cold that he'll literally freeze to death if he's stationary for more than thirty minutes? When he can feel his skin freezing in real time?"

****** ignoring Te and Si to say something stupid in response:

"BAH, THE GERMAN ARMY WILL CONQUER THE PUNY RUSSIAN SWINE WITH OUR SUPERIOR COURAGE AND SPIRIT."

discojoe: "You can't crush anything with spirit, you crush them with bombs and tanks. You can't stop bullets with courage, you stop them with armor and cover. Yap on all you want, your vacuous bravado is going to get us killed. This plan is stupid. If soldiers are ill equipped for the task at hand, they will fail, regardless of how strongly you feel about anything."

I wasn't actually using Si or Te there. What I was doing was hitting Jewlover's Role and PoLR with my Base and Creative. And I was doing it in a painful way that can easily be exploited in order to administer emotional trauma.

With your Ignoring and Demonstrative, you see things that you deal with with your Base and Creative. You still see the faultiness of the Dual's Super Ego, and the product of it may even disgust you, but you attack it in a way that can be metabolized by them.

Now imagine manipulating someone into believing they are trash in such a way as to leave no ambiguity in their mind whatsoever. To paint a perfect picture of that person's inadequacies.

That there is the flip side.