View Poll Results: For those of you in relationships - Does your SO know/know about socionics?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they're interested and involved in socionics

5 29.41%
  • Yes, they know of it and aren't all that interested

10 58.82%
  • Yes, but I only let them know by accident and am avoiding the subject

1 5.88%
  • No, it hasn't come up yet but if it does I'm happy to tell

1 5.88%
  • No, and they will NEVER KNOW

0 0%

Thread: Does your significant other know socionics?

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Does your significant other know socionics?

Out of curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

YES

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no

If I were to introduce socionics to a boyfriend, I'd only talk about it in layman's terms. None of this "functions" and "dichotomies" bullshit, just talk about socionics without actually saying the word. If he asks I'll probably say that "this is what I learned in my psychology research" and just roll with it. I may talk about the terminology at some point, but only after it's established that what I'm talking about isn't total bullshit.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned it as it is to my girlfriend when I first started reading about it not all that long ago. I have come to see it not as an end in itself but as a means to asking questions about myself and others from aspects I had not strongly considered. She's not all that interested and is highly skeptical besides, though the subject does help start conversations about similar subjects.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gf has a pretty good grasp of types/values/traits (IMO). She is not that much interested in the theory, but in practice/experience rather. She often dismisses me when I talk - when she's focused on something else - but she's excited by the new revealings we find and always keeps an eye on things. When she travels and meets people, basically the first thing she tells me about them is a guess about their type, then starts describing them and their actions to me (I typed her family before meeting them in person).

Some times our opinions diverge, for instance her first ex was typed by us as Gamma initially, though in time she grew convinced that he's likely Beta NF based on our discussions, new findings and her insights. So basically we use a mix of our opinions as "our type list", though I'm usually the one who draws the bottom line when we have much data or it becomes obvious, and I have the time and interest to analyze it - and when I actually manage to figure something out, of course.

Also, she was an user on this forum and was very opinionated regarding some things, even if she was not arguing with users. She is particularly annoyed by the crap people post in the Alpha quadra subforum, when the representatives of this quadra are misrepresented (she's an Alpha, too) - eg "Alpha music", or allegedly SEI/Si things. Very vocal against the "ILE-ness" or "SEI-ness" of some mistyped users - only when they project their personality traits upon the other Alpha Irrationals, thing she takes personally - though her complaints are virtually always directed at me, instead of the impostors :|.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by golden; 06-09-2011 at 09:24 AM.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My significant other... hmm... how should I put this... yes, he knows. Hint: I'm not gay.

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Not the least bit interested.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    And it seems that since I'm not a True Believer but see Socionics as just another way to put names to patterns already evident in human nature, there's nothing there for him to be terribly concerned by.
    Doubleplus

Socionics is just a series of names for things that are in the world anyway, and which many people understand intuitively. In many ways it is very Ti/Fe: a logical reification of "ethical" awareness. Also, note that while "reification" has a negative connotation, I do recognize that the "schematic" of Ti allows for the expansion of socionics, allowing it to be a more complete picture with more useful hypotheses than this sort of "intuitive socionics" would otherwise allow for.

And of course, names are always useful handles for mentally manipulating objects in order to understand them better.

No SO, but it would probably be rather like Galen described, talking about how x or y is just "that kind of person," you know, standard IEI "what kind of person is this" advice.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He knows and he's pretty interested in it but def. not to the point I am to go on this forum ha. But we discuss it from time to time pretty in depth, but mainly just arguing about whether he's an ILI or IEI lol

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

he knows of it as the thing i talk to people on that forum about lol. he's humored me a little by taking a couple tests and stuff but he's not interested in it and we don't talk about it.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when I very, very first found out about it I showed him some descriptions of types that he might be, but he just said they all sounded like them, and didn't seem too interest, so I haven't brought it up. I don't really think I'd want him to know about it too in depth anyway though.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This forum =/= Socionics. I know a guy who's very into it but does not use any forum, from what I know he asks questions to different authors now and then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    My significant other... hmm... how should I put this... yes, he knows. Hint: I'm not gay.
    The short bald guy?
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but she's not terribly interested.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a significant other. All of my closest friends know of Socionics, however. Most are interested.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my bf found the forum open on my laptop once, saw that i had over 3000 posts so he joined because he thought "oh cool something that interests her!" but i was super embarrassed lol and he sensed that so he never actually used the account he made. he probably does come on here to read what i write about him though
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol nice

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hence why i changed my username

edit: i guess me being in my av doesn't help but oh well he'll do what he wants

Quote Originally Posted by Valori View Post
    I mentioned it as it is to my girlfriend when I first started reading about it not all that long ago. I have come to see it not as an end in itself but as a means to asking questions about myself and others from aspects I had not strongly considered. She's not all that interested and is highly skeptical besides, though the subject does help start conversations about similar subjects.

I was going to reply that the poll needed an "I am the significant other" option. I am highly skeptical, but it does make a good jumping-off point for discussion, and it's an interesting exercise as long as one doesn't take it as the One Sure Way of understanding people around you. <3

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borderline View Post
    my bf found the forum open on my laptop once, saw that i had over 3000 posts so he joined because he thought "oh cool something that interests her!" but i was super embarrassed lol and he sensed that so he never actually used the account he made. he probably does come on here to read what i write about him though
    aww that's somehow really adorable. is he interested now though, in the actual idea of socionics/know his type?

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a "significant other" yet, but I wouldn't want one who wasn't at least somewhat interested in socionics.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wtf is socionics?

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    aww that's somehow really adorable. is he interested now though, in the actual idea of socionics/know his type?
    lol he told me he was really stoned when he found it so he spent hours just reading the forum and wikisocion or wikipedia before i got home. but when he brought it up i acted all awkward thinking..... shit.... what have i posted on that forum about him lol so he just dropped it and we haven't brought up socionics since

edit: but yeah it was so cute