Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 70

Thread: Ti - What it is and isn't

  1. #1
    Board philosopher or bored philosopher? jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    884
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Ti - What it is and isn't...

    I've seen many on this forum attempt to describe introverted logic. Some of the descriptions are not bad, others are poor. The key problem is that, in our society, structure is often associated with organization and logistics. Therefore, because it is named "structural logic," things like organized living rooms, "structured lifestyles" and even tidiness become associated with Ti. My interpretation is that Ti is supposed to be a mental function as opposed to an external one. I think it deals more with logical structure than logistical structure.

    As an example, think of a chemistry text. The text has a "structure" to it, but it is a purely logical structure. The material is organized not because the author simply seeks organization, but because it serves a logical function and brings a level of coherence to the material that would not be there if this organization were absent. Such a text is also structured because it is dealing with the underlying structure of physical events; notice that this notion of structure is logical and abstract, dealing more with hidden structures and, further, a more cognitive picture of logic. I think this is what Ti is supposed to be about. On the other hand, the more concrete and logistical forms of structure are perhaps more the domain of the director - who has the role of concrete organizer.

    It should also be noted that these different forms of information are easy to confuse, and this is why Ti is often associated with administrative activities - such as organization - and even concrete and rote knowledge, which is, once again, more a matter of concrete sequential abilities than abstract sequential logic - which is debatebly the domain of LSIs, but certainly not the domain of LIIs.

    (You might want to check my work by looking at those who have these different traits and covertly testing them to see if there is a pattern towards seeking outgoingness and what I call Ti, and perhaps seeking more internalized tenderness and what I call Te - specifically .)
    Last edited by jason_m; 06-05-2011 at 06:51 AM.
    LII

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I've seen many on this forum attempt to describe introverted logic. Some of the descriptions are not bad, others are poor. The key problem is that, in our society, structure is often associated with organization and logistics. Therefore, because it is named "structural logic," things like organized living rooms, "structured lifestyles" and even tidiness become associated with Ti. My interpretation is that Ti is supposed to be a mental function as opposed to an external one. I think it deals more with logical structure than logistical structure.
    Although I don't know what forum posts you're referring to, the association of having an organized life with base-Ti comes the Russian Socionists. For example, this is from Filatova's LII description, in the Ti function portion:

    Quote Originally Posted by Filatova
    LII loves precision and order in everything; she is scrupulous and meticulous. Finds pleasure in systematizing, organizing everything “on the shelf.” Everything is done according to plan.
    Note that such descriptions never show up for ILE. So I think it comes partly from the Russian Socionists' view of what, in their conception, Ij temperament people are like.

    In the West, especially with the influence of MBTI, people are more likely to view someone with Ti dominance as having structured thoughts only and quite possibly being quite unstructured and spontaneous in their lifestyle; and there is a tendency here to associate logistics and organization more with Te. The Russian Socionists tend to view these as more related to being a "rational" type.

    There is also a divergence between Ti as used to describe a personality (e.g., the person's lifestyle resemble's Ti) and Ti defined as a purely intellectual ability. These two views lead to completely different typings of people.

    As to whether LSIs may be "logistical" and organized, that's certainly the mainstream view in classical Socionics. If one's views are based on Jung's original essay and/or MBTI, it may be hard to believe that would be the case with a Ti type, but in Socionics it's a pretty mainstream view. Anyway, Se in LSI would be related to the external environment, so LSIs would tend to be much more attuned to keeping their surroundings tidy than LIIs.

  3. #3
    Board philosopher or bored philosopher? jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    884
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Although I don't know what forum posts you're referring to, the association of having an organized life with base-Ti comes the Russian Socionists. For example, this is from Filatova's LII description, in the Ti function portion:



    Note that such descriptions never show up for ILE. So I think it comes partly from the Russian Socionists' view of what, in their conception, Ij temperament people are like.

    In the West, especially with the influence of MBTI, people are more likely to view someone with Ti dominance as having structured thoughts only and quite possibly being quite unstructured and spontaneous in their lifestyle; and there is a tendency here to associate logistics and organization more with Te. The Russian Socionists tend to view these as more related to being a "rational" type.

    There is also a divergence between Ti as used to describe a personality (e.g., the person's lifestyle resemble's Ti) and Ti defined as a purely intellectual ability. These two views lead to completely different typings of people.

    As to whether LSIs may be "logistical" and organized, that's certainly the mainstream view in classical Socionics. If one's views are based on Jung's original essay and/or MBTI, it may be hard to believe that would be the case with a Ti type, but in Socionics it's a pretty mainstream view. Anyway, Se in LSI would be related to the external environment, so LSIs would tend to be much more attuned to keeping their surroundings tidy than LIIs.
    I think that there might be something faulty about traditional socionics in some ways, given that, for instance, ILEs and LIIs would have to link up somehow (this applies to all mirror pairs). These quotes contradict this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Filatova ILE
    The ILE’s behaviour may frequently appear to be unpredictable, even chaotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filatova LII
    Generally is irritated by chaotic, disorderly, inconsiderate people. (See post below.)
    (And we know that ILEs can be inconsiderate as well...)

    You also have to be very observant, and notice that Filatova is trying to describe how the types use their strong but unvalued functions as well, because there is no description of the Id or Super-Id. Look carefully here as an example:

    Quote Originally Posted by Filatova IEE
    As a rule IEE is very penetrating: she can easily predict what it is possible to expect in the future from another individual, especially if she is sufficiently familiar with him/her. As no other she knows how to inspire, to reveal the abilities and talents of others, to manifest support towards others to realize themselves. In people she values kindness, uniqueness and talent. Envy is alien to her – her creative nature allows her to see many possible avenues worth following. Even in old age she’s always ready to learn new things.
    This could be going on with the LII description in your quote.

    As a note: if the depth of LII thinking is organizing closets and reading instruction manuals, I'm giving up on socionics.

    (I should also note that I don't see why traditional socionists should be considered an authoritative source of information. This is not an official theory by any means, and so LSEs might be confused with LIIs. I'll show you two Russian descriptions below to see what I mean.)
    Last edited by jason_m; 06-05-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    LII

  4. #4
    Board philosopher or bored philosopher? jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    884
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blokhin LII
    :

    Robespierre

    Analytical mind, a structured way of thinking, the ability to separate the important from the secondary, the constant desire to think, analyze
    Logic, methodical, hard work, patience, endurance, work without rest or interruption, perseverance, carefully hidden shyness, sharpness, commitment, responsibility, conciseness, brevity, clarity in presenting the material
    Astray, to convince virtually impossible, the difficult recognition errors.
    Scheme, the structure, classification, plan ahead, the alternatives analysis, systematization
    Hoarders, caution, prudence, modesty, frugality
    Reserve, taciturnity
    Theorizing, the propensity for mental labor, construction of abstract models
    Quote Originally Posted by Blokhin LSE

    Stirlitz

    Quick, clear, sober mind. Sober calculation, a clear understanding, clarity, clarity, order, discipline, initiative, energy, assertiveness, decisiveness, initiative, directness, activity, clarity of action, work, work, efficiency, courage, passion, resourcefulness, justified risk, honesty, strong character , instruction, law, meticulousness and professionalism, punctuality, sense of duty, technique, technology, work, stability, predictability, stability, specificity, healthy conservatism, uncompromising, inflexible, dry business, officially
    Reasonable and logical to operate, observe the rules of the game, persistent, daily work, quality of work, calculating the situation, depth, practical benefits, the benefits, argue, be in the middle of the action, keep promise at any cost, to put into practice,
    Stingy with praise, the inability to admit to feelings, an inability to apologize, admit mistakes, to see more disadvantages than advantages, intolerance of other people's weaknesses
    Smartness, self-discipline, discipline, responsibility, commitment, athletic bearing, engagement in, sharpness, directness, latent nervousness, endurance, hard work, overcoming difficulties, organizational skills, never show weakness, and sometimes tactless, inconsistency, temper
    Information, logic, calculations, facts, analysis, "facts first" facts and once again the facts, outrageous order (throughout), the order with a capital letter
    "Everything I do - I'm doing well," he said - did not you - do not promise, "" I want to know everything, "the authorities are not afraid - boldly defends his views, sometimes aggressive, always knows what and how to do a good administrator, manager, likes to teach people how to act and live
    Aesthete, elegant, stylish dresses (but do not dress up), cleanliness, tidiness, punctuality, quality things, comfortable working conditions, to avoid physical discomfort
    Abhors: procrastination nesobrannosti, mumbled, slobs, laxity, laziness, irresponsibility, chaos and confusion, (Cited above.) incompetence, cunning and guile, thieves and tricksters, intrigue, political games, can not stand when customized and in a hurry, late for a meeting in violation of terms performance, talk about trifles
    You might cite the fact that they are both rational temperament, but that begs the question as to why you don't see the same pattern amongst E_Fjs and I_Fjs, I_Tps and E_Tps, etc. (If you can find examples of how the other dichotomies are similar in the same way as here, I will try to make it worth your while...)
    Last edited by jason_m; 06-05-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    LII

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    United States
    TIM
    LSI
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This thread interests me greatly.

  6. #6
    Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Holy Temple of St. Augusta
    Posts
    3,693
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Excellent thread. I have reason to believe that Ti(External Field Statics) is actually native to Beta and the Ti that shows in Alpha & is representative of INTj is a derivative of primary Beta Ti. Just as well, the other quadras are all primarily representative of one function pair.

    Alpha(Ne/Si) ~ Beta(Fe/Ti) ~ Gamma(Se/Ni) ~ Delta(Te/Fi)

    If you break the elements down by +/-, this is what you get. These fixed primary pairs are the reason for the distinctions between the quadras.
    (i)NTFS

    An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

    31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

    Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites


    Fidei Defensor

  7. #7
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    re: reply that you deleted,

    Your entire spiel there about what Ti supposedly is, strikes me as that of someone too self-enamored by their own thinking processes, to a point that prevents you from conceiving them clearly. This is a common handicap of Ti types.
    Care to explain how it seems that way and why it's common handicap of Ti types?

    (ps try to be a bit less offensive.)
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  8. #8
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,451
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Excellent thread. I have reason to believe that Ti(External Field Statics) is actually native to Beta and the Ti that shows in Alpha & is representative of INTj is a derivative of primary Beta Ti. Just as well, the other quadras are all primarily representative of one function pair.

    Alpha(Ne/Si) ~ Beta(Fe/Ti) ~ Gamma(Se/Ni) ~ Delta(Te/Fi)

    If you break the elements down by +/-, this is what you get. These fixed primary pairs are the reason for the distinctions between the quadras.
    How is this at all testable/relevant?

  9. #9
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Jonathan, are you a Ti type?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    re: reply that you deleted,

    Your entire spiel there about what Ti supposedly is, strikes me as that of someone too self-enamored by their own thinking processes, to a point that prevents you from conceiving them clearly. This is a common handicap of Ti types.
    Yes they are. All introverts are enamored by their Self processes, whether that is Si, or Fi, or Ti..etc.

  10. #10
    Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Holy Temple of St. Augusta
    Posts
    3,693
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    How is this at all testable/relevant?
    Elaborate on the testable bit. I'm itching to pull the subjectivity card and one-up your fallacy.

    It's relevant because the subject of my previous post is to show how Ti is natively Beta and if we want to get to the root of what it is, we have to acknowledge that and not work from the LII, or otherwise, Alpha Ti bias.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about?
    http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...Plus_and_minus

    Also see above.
    (i)NTFS

    An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

    31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

    Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites


    Fidei Defensor

  11. #11
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I don't think I'm being that offensive.
    just needlessly so.

    From Uncle Carl:

    This thinking easily loses itself in the immense truth of the subjective factor. It creates theories for the sake of theories, apparently with a view to real or at least possible facts, yet always with a distinct tendency to go over from the world of ideas into mere imagery. Accordingly many intuitions of possibilities appear on the scene, none of which however achieve any reality, until finally images are produced which no longer express anything externally real, being 'merely' symbols of the simply unknowable. It is now merely a mystical thinking and quite as unfruitful as that empirical thinking whose sole operation is within the framework of objective facts.

    Whereas the latter sinks to the level of a mere presentation of facts, the former evaporates into a representation of the unknowable, which is even beyond everything that could be expressed in an image. The presentation of facts has a certain incontestable truth, because the subjective factor is excluded and the facts speak for themselves. Similarly, the representing of the unknowable has also an immediate, subjective, and convincing power, because it is demonstrable from its own existence. The former says 'Est, ergo est' ('It is ; therefore it is') ; while the latter says 'Cogito, ergo cogito' (' I think ; therefore I think'). In the last analysis, introverted thinking arrives at the evidence of its own subjective being, while extraverted thinking is driven to the evidence of its complete identity with the objective fact. For, while the extravert really denies himself in his complete dispersion among objects, the introvert, by ridding himself of each and every content, has to content himself with his mere existence. In both cases the further development of life is crowded out of the domain of thought into the region of other psychic functions which had hitherto existed in relative unconsciousness. The extraordinary impoverishment of introverted thinking in relation to objective facts finds compensation in an abundance of unconscious facts. Whenever consciousness, wedded to the function of thought, confines itself within the smallest and emptiest circle possible -- though seeming to contain the plenitude of divinity -- unconscious phantasy becomes proportionately enriched by a multitude of archaically formed facts, a veritable pandemonium of magical and irrational factors, wearing the particular aspect that accords with the nature of that function which shall next relieve the thought-function as the representative of life.
    I agree with this. The only problem I do have with this idea of Te/Ti is that I tend to think it works really well as TeSi and TiNe and not as well with TeNi and TiSe. So what would be the difference between TiSe and TiNe for example?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  12. #12
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,451
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Elaborate on the testable bit. I'm itching to pull the subjectivity card and one-up your fallacy.
    How can I possibly elaborate? I want to know what you can show to demonstrate this hypothesis in action instead of simply stopping after you say it.

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    It's relevant because the subject of my previous post is to show how Ti is natively Beta and if we want to get to the root of what it is, we have to acknowledge that and not work from the LII, or otherwise, Alpha Ti bias.
    Yeah but, what the fuck does that mean? You're not explaining yourself, you're just stating a theory and running along inside your own head while I'm sitting here clueless.

  13. #13
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,451
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    What fallacy pray tell are you 'itching' to one-up?
    The Testability Fallacy, most likely. It reads something like "nothing can ever be proven, so any form of testing is a moot activity."

  14. #14
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,451
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I gather that neurotic Ti—TiSe or TiNe—manifests in virtually the same way, just modulated by different kinds of qualitative content. Se being more anchored concrete qualifiers (while not necessarily being concrete per se; key difference here), Ne being anchored in abstract qualifiers (again, while not necessarily being abstract per se).
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by concrete or abstract qualifiers versus being concrete or abstract itself (not necessarily with Ti)? Like an example or something?

  15. #15
    Marie84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    2,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    From what I've read about Ti I think you, and Jonathon, did a good job explaining how it manifests between the different Ti's.
    Ti, IMU, works more chaotically in Ti creatives, whereas the dominants seem to mentally structure things before acting on anything related to it

    I sort of see Ti+Ne as an absorption of creative thinking processes, constantly or sporadically looking for tunnels which allow for them to change and grow without a dead end, "look at all these passages, I wonder where they lead"
    Ti+Se works similarly but it's more tenacious; it doesn't require the same tunneling and if it needs one it will implode through mental barriers creating it's own "this is where I'm going, screw this wall"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    re: reply that you deleted,

    Your entire spiel there about what Ti supposedly is, strikes me as that of someone too self-enamored by their own thinking processes, to a point that prevents you from conceiving them clearly. This is a common handicap of Ti types.
    Pot kettle black
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

  16. #16
    Marie84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    2,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Show me.
    I see your approach to Socionics as being comprised of bits and pieces of outside theory filtered into a separate theory that makes structural sense to you, and also isn't recognized outside of this forum and Socionix
    Strikes me as very Ti
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

  17. #17
    Marie84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    2,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    My approach is more eclectic—I'll take and incorporate what seems to be congruent with first-hand experience, working evidence, known scientific facts, etc. And discard what isn't.
    Precisely, you *incorporate* data to create a base that makes sense, or at least to you. I'm not suggesting you're not strong in Te, you use it as a means to Ti rather than relying on it as is

    I'd rather not cling to theoretical models. I don't think this is very .
    It's not the clinging so much as the "give and take" when it comes to information approach, like you described above, that strikes me as Ti valuing
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

  18. #18
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Well, what do you think? Your explanation on that would likely be as good as mine.
    I think that it doesn't work. I mean, how can Ti be more focused on the theory for the sake of the theory and yet still be focused on concrete things? Does that just mean that TiSe just mainly focuses on theorizing about concrete things and TiNe about abstract things? TeSi presentation of concrete facts and TeNi of abstract facts?
    (obviously simplistic, but I hope you know what I mean.)

    I've struggled with this thought before, I'm just wondering if you have a solution.

    I gather that neurotic Ti—TiSe or TiNe—manifests in virtually the same way, just modulated by different kinds of qualitative content. Se being more anchored in concrete qualifiers (while not necessarily being concrete per se; key difference here), Ne being anchored in abstract qualifiers (again, while not necessarily being abstract per se).

    Similar story with neurotic Te—either just becomes modulated through different thematic contexts. Si concretizes, while Ni abstracts.
    So are you basically saying that TiSe would tend to pull the concrete details out of their experiences and form theoretical models/ideas of them, and TiNe does the same thing except with abstract details they pull from their experiences?

    And, with TeSi, they tend to demonstrate the concrete details they come across while TeNi the abstract details they come across?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  19. #19
    EffyCold The Ineffable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wallachia
    TIM
    ILE
    Posts
    2,195
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    The Testability Fallacy, most likely. It reads something like "nothing can ever be proven, so any form of testing is a moot activity."
    Yeah. In those terms, the subjectivist is always right.

    It occurs to me that ESC fails to consider the generic nature of Ti as an IE. He comes from looking at it as "an attitude which makes you correct people". What he fails to consider is whether Beta +/- is +j, instead of +Ti and +Fe specifically. His mistake is even more noticeable when he states that Alpha Ti is represented by LII (it's somehow "in the ownership" of this type). Philosophical onanism, if you ask me...
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.
     

    The16types.info Scientific Model

  20. #20
    EffyCold The Ineffable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wallachia
    TIM
    ILE
    Posts
    2,195
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    I think that it doesn't work. I mean, how can Ti be more focused on the theory for the sake of the theory and yet still be focused on concrete things? Does that just mean that TiSe just mainly focuses on theorizing about concrete things and TiNe about abstract things? TeSi presentation of concrete facts and TeNi of abstract facts?
    (obviously simplistic, but I hope you know what I mean.)

    I've struggled with this thought before, I'm just wondering if you have a solution.



    So are you basically saying that TiSe would tend to pull the concrete details out of their experiences and form theoretical models/ideas of them, and TiNe does the same thing except with abstract details they pull from their experiences?

    And, with TeSi, they tend to demonstrate the concrete details they come across while TeNi the abstract details they come across?
    Kant makes a distinction between what we call the "Alpha Ti" (nature, laws of nature, speculative use - theory and understanding, pure reason - red) and the "Beta Ti" (freedom, laws of ethics, practical use - will and action, practical reason - orange). This would as well refer to "Delta Fi" and "Gamma Fi", however he excluded above (*) the principles accumulated by factual and historical means, further hinting at systemic integrity as a must. (green pertains to architectonics and systemic integrity - Ti)
    In view of the complete systematic unity of reason, there can only be one ultimate end of all the operations of the mind. To this all other aims are subordinate, and nothing more than means for its attainment. This ultimate end is the destination of man, and the philosophy which relates to it is termed moral philosophy. The superior position occupied by moral philosophy, above all other spheres for the operations of reason, sufficiently indicates the reason why the ancients always included the idea—and in an especial manner—of moralist in that of philosopher. Even at the present day, we call a man who appears to have the power of self-government, even although his knowledge may be very limited, by the name of philosopher.

    The legislation of human reason, or philosophy, has two objects- nature and freedom—and thus contains not only the laws of nature, but also those of ethics, at first in two separate systems, which, finally, merge into one grand philosophical system of cognition. The philosophy of nature relates to that which is, that of ethics to that which ought to be.

    But all philosophy is either cognition on the basis of pure reason, or the cognition of reason on the basis of empirical principles. The former is termed pure, the latter empirical philosophy.

    The philosophy of pure reason is either propaedeutic, that is, an inquiry into the powers of reason in regard to pure a priori cognition, and is termed critical philosophy; or it is, secondly, the system of pure reason—a science containing the systematic presentation of the whole body of philosophical knowledge, true as well as illusory, given by pure reason—and is called metaphysic. This name may, however, be also given to the whole system of pure philosophy, critical philosophy included, and may designate the investigation into the sources or possibility of a priori cognition, as well as the presentation of the a priori cognitions which form a system of pure philosophy—excluding, at the same time, all empirical and mathematical elements.

    Metaphysic is divided into that of the speculative and that of the practical use of pure reason, and is, accordingly, either the metaphysic of nature, or the metaphysic of ethics. The former contains all the pure rational principles—based upon conceptions alone (and thus excluding mathematics)—of all theoretical cognition; the latter, the principles which determine and necessitate a priori all action. Now moral philosophy alone contains a code of laws—for the regulation of our actions—which are deduced from principles entirely a priori. Hence the metaphysic of ethics is the only pure moral philosophy, as it is not based upon anthropological or other empirical considerations. The metaphysic of speculative reason is what is commonly called metaphysic in the more limited sense. But as pure moral philosophy properly forms a part of this system of cognition, we must allow it to retain the name of metaphysic, although it is not requisite that we should insist on so terming it in our present discussion.

    ...

    All pure a priori cognition forms, therefore, in view of the peculiar faculty which originates it, a peculiar and distinct unity; and metaphysic is the term applied to the philosophy which attempts to represent that cognition in this systematic unity. The speculative part of metaphysic, which has especially appropriated this appellation—that which we have called the metaphysic of nature—and which considers everything, as it is (not as it ought to be), by means of a priori conceptions, is divided in the following manner.
    (*) - this is an exerpt from a larger article I wrote.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.
     

    The16types.info Scientific Model

  21. #21
    peteronfireee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    TIM
    LSI
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I liked Expat's "constitution" analogy in some post he wrote.

    Basically ISTj and INTj use Ti to look at life as a constitution. This constitution is constantly being examined, picked apart, and re-edited throughout life. Now this constitution must be consistent all throughout- One paragraph of the constitution has to be consistent with the next paragraph of the constitution. If a section of the constitution doesn't make sense, the loophole has to be closed or else the whole constitution risks falling apart. This consistency and order all throughout is very important.

    So the difference between ISTj and INTj?

    ISTjs sees where the world is headed based on the here-and-now (S), in using this constitution.

    INTjs sees where the world is headed based on an ideal world (N), in using this constitution.

    As mentioned, this difference is why INTjs can seem more "theoretical/speculative" and ISTjs more "practical" relative to each other.

  22. #22
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    OP's wanking
    Hey, just like every post you make about your valued functions.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  23. #23
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ashton if your model is based on what aligns with your eexperience, while asserting that people only have direc experience and therefore full understanding of their own functions, and you categorize yourself as LIE, then isn't pretty much everything you say about Ti completely fucking useless by your own reasoning? If not please explain what you have to add other than Jung quotes and the biased, antagonistic, bullshit jargon you've spewed thus far in this thread.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  24. #24
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, logistics are more of a Te thing.

  25. #25
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ti-analysis of objective facts to arrive at the subjective thought of the thing...

    Te-objective facts as they are-a reflection.

  26. #26
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    No.
    I'd love to see your attempt at exlpaining that.

    Est, ergo est.
    Ergo est nihil sed fallacias.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  27. #27
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    You over-simplified and misunderstood what I said.

    No, not necessarily. Go back and re-read what I said.
    I'll come back to it later. I haven't been much in the socionics mood lately.


    Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    (ps try to be a bit less offensive.)
    I just realized this might have been unclear, I was mostly referring to this post and not the one I quoted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    OP's wanking
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  28. #28
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ITT =

  29. #29
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would appreciate it if you paid attention to the difference between information elements, especially as dominant functions, and information aspects. Elements/Functions combinations describe cognitive attitudes. Aspects describe kind of information matching those attitudes.

    Ti aspect being "structural logic" means no more than the information it deals with has an explicit structure. People with Ti as their base tend to approach information this way, i.e. what they perceive is primarily "systems", coherent structure, explicit and overt and stable and orderly. Whether they choose to look at chemistry or their own room or baseless theories is another matter entirely. Classical logic may seem like a formalized reflection of this approach, but it doesn't mean Ti egos' thinking is classical logic.

  30. #30
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it definitely isn't.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Jonathan, are you a Ti type?
    Depends whom you ask, LOL. That used to be the subject of a lot of debate on the forum.

    Most people type me as ILI, but there's a strong contingent that types me and many of the other "ILIs" on the forum as Alpha. Because I've never seen a completely stable and authoritative version of Socionics, and since I feel I can traverse modes sometimes, I don't have a strong preference for how people type me. I think that in the most "classical" Socionics sense, I'm ILI, but when people say things like ILE or other types, I don't say "no way"...It's just a different perspective, also valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I think that there might be something faulty about traditional socionics in some ways, given that, for instance, ILEs and LIIs would have to link up somehow (this applies to all mirror pairs). These quotes contradict this:
    I don't think it logically follows that a difference in how Ti manifests in LII or ILE is a contradiction. Clearly there must be a similarity, but that doesn't say what the similarity is. I think there's actually a lot of overlap between Filatova's description of Ti in LII and ILE.

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    You also have to be very observant, and notice that Filatova is trying to describe how the types use their strong but unvalued functions as well, because there is no description of the Id or Super-Id.
    This gets at the meat of the issue...that you apparently think that if LIIs are organized, they're using Te to be so. Let me explain my opinion on why traditional socionists see LIIs as generally organized and Ti as contributing to some orderliness in life. Traditional Socionists see base-Ti types as thinking in clear, definite, consistent ways, and having a more or less stable view of things (barring some radically new information). This is an asset when you're trying to be organized. Keep in mind that basic organization doesn't require a lot of logistics. Any type can be organized, but if a person tends to see things in a clear and consistent way, it makes it easier than someone who is always changing rapidly and moving from one activity to the next or who has a less decided view of things. In no way does this imply that LIIs are obsessed about organizing closets or other sensory activities, but their mental style may make it easier to stay organized than that of an IEI (for instance).

    Keep in mind, too, that if a person resembles being a Ti type merely on the basis of his/her academic work, that may not be enough to type the person as such. Ti in Socionics is not the same as intellectual ability.

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    This is not an official theory by any means, and so LSEs might be confused with LIIs. I'll show you two Russian descriptions below to see what I mean.)
    In the full context, I think traditional Socionists have a good handle of the differences between LSE and LII, although type descriptions can be misleading. I think you're right that traditional Socionics isn't the only Jung-based typology worthy of consideration. However, it's worth understanding it and being able to distinguish it from other variants that may appear on the forum.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Excellent thread. I have reason to believe that Ti(External Field Statics) is actually native to Beta and the Ti that shows in Alpha & is representative of INTj is a derivative of primary Beta Ti. Just as well, the other quadras are all primarily representative of one function pair.

    Alpha(Ne/Si) ~ Beta(Fe/Ti) ~ Gamma(Se/Ni) ~ Delta(Te/Fi)

    If you break the elements down by +/-, this is what you get. These fixed primary pairs are the reason for the distinctions between the quadras.
    That's an interesting theory, but do you see any strong evidence for it? As I understand, the +/- idea came from a speculative article by Gulenko in which he surmised that types' uses of functions could be divided into "near term" and "long-term" usage. He used +/- merely as indicators for his idea. Then some people on this forum (e.g., hitta) started interpreting "-" to mean "anti" in some sense, without much basis from the original article, which in turn didn't show much empirical research to begin with.

    I would have to suspect too that one must be very careful how one's own type may affect how one sees these formulas. For example, seeing Gamma as primarily about Se/Ni may make all the sense in the world if you're ILI. But if you're LIE or ESI, Te/Fi probably comes much more into focus.

  33. #33
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Depends whom you ask, LOL. That used to be the subject of a lot of debate on the forum.

    Most people type me as ILI, but there's a strong contingent that types me and many of the other "ILIs" on the forum as Alpha. Because I've never seen a completely stable and authoritative version of Socionics, and since I feel I can traverse modes sometimes, I don't have a strong preference for how people type me. I think that in the most "classical" Socionics sense, I'm ILI, but when people say things like ILE or other types, I don't say "no way"...It's just a different perspective, also valid.
    I agree with ILI.

  34. #34
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ni has the ability to see different perspectives. How? They just wait to hear other people's perspectives, not come up with their own...that's the difference.

  35. #35
    ഗന᎕ᒹ ±ᗉᚔXᙂഗ woofwoofl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Posts
    1,908
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    ITT =
    Bad poli! you need to use the official wank-smiley:

     


    I'm pretty far removed from - I have to approach it from the outside, more or less, and knowing that is something of a T equivalent to was a big help, leading me to consider that some people more-or-less think in the same manner that I feel about things, in a way that means something to themselves, and isn't as dependent on whatever the current situation might happen to be at the time, and has a certain permanence to it... this approach strikes me as being untethered to reality at times, yet it seems to work great for lots of people (unless they have to explain something to me, that can be pure hell ), and I can imagine it being really convenient too...

    I hope this helped someone somehow I find myself mostly having to fill in the blank left by my at-the-moment-of-writing-this ideas of what , , and are...

  36. #36
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    valuing.
    i've been predicting to myself that the "ashtonite gammas" would try to kick Jonathan out of their quadra at some point in time.

    don't get any ideas in your head about how such a thing might make sense from a real alpha's perspective.

  37. #37
    Board philosopher or bored philosopher? jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    884
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think it logically follows that a difference in how Ti manifests in LII or ILE is a contradiction. Clearly there must be a similarity, but that doesn't say what the similarity is. I think there's actually a lot of overlap between Filatova's description of Ti in LII and ILE.
    How do you think that there isn't a clear contradiction in (perhaps) quadra values between those two quotes. Further, why do you think that this doesn't carry through to the descriptions as a whole? For instance, how are hard work, perserverance, strict behaviour, etc. alpha quadra values?

    This gets at the meat of the issue...that you apparently think that if LIIs are organized, they're using Te to be so. Let me explain my opinion on why traditional socionists see LIIs as generally organized and Ti as contributing to some orderliness in life. Traditional Socionists see base-Ti types as thinking in clear, definite, consistent ways, and having a more or less stable view of things (barring some radically new information). This is an asset when you're trying to be organized. Keep in mind that basic organization doesn't require a lot of logistics. Any type can be organized, but if a person tends to see things in a clear and consistent way, it makes it easier than someone who is always changing rapidly and moving from one activity to the next or who has a less decided view of things.
    How could this be reconciled with creative Ti of ILEs? They can think in clear, definite, consistent ways, but they are often described as disorganized, "chaotic," etc. If you look at the overall descriptions, why do you not think that there is an inconsistency here?

    Keep in mind, too, that if a person resembles being a Ti type merely on the basis of his/her academic work, that may not be enough to type the person as such. Ti in Socionics is not the same as intellectual ability.
    I never claimed that the two are the same. What this stems from is:

    1) I have logically deduced my type from a combination of comprehending function descriptions and observing the functions in real life, without looking purely at type descriptions.

    2) I don't fit the classic LII description at all, and the problem is always related to this concrete/organizational factor.

    3) I've seen a few people who have this organizational trait and they don't seem to be merry types, nor is the relation identical.

    4) To find an answer, I read through the Russian descriptions and found that similar terms keep popping up in LII and LSE descriptions, that the terms are the ones that cause me trouble with the LII descriptions, that there isn't a phenomena of similar traits appearing in other descriptions for types that don't share any ego functions, and that the people who I have typed as having this trait are most like mirage partners - this leading to my hypothesis that the two types are being confused.

    (An alternative hypothesis is that I am ILE - Model A has confused the suggestive functions of the types, and this would make sense because of its asymmetrical nature [for an ILI, the model is more symmetric if they use more than any other function, use less than any other function, seek more than any other function, and are most contrary with .] The idea would be that accurate theories usually display this element of symmetry because there is something counterintuitive about asymmetry. [For instance, a theory that says that gravity is ubiquitous - and therefore has a strong element of symmetry - is more plausible than one that says it holds everywhere but the moon.])

    Jason
    LII

  38. #38
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,451
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's an interesting theory, but do you see any strong evidence for it? As I understand, the +/- idea came from a speculative article by Gulenko in which he surmised that types' uses of functions could be divided into "near term" and "long-term" usage. He used +/- merely as indicators for his idea. Then some people on this forum (e.g., hitta) started interpreting "-" to mean "anti" in some sense, without much basis from the original article, which in turn didn't show much empirical research to begin with.
    Watch yourself buddy, we don't take kindly to folks like you bargin' in here and demanding evidence or empiricism, apparently.

  39. #39
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    jason_m; nice job on the analysis.

  40. #40
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    2) I don't fit the classic LII description at all, and the problem is always related to this concrete/organizational factor.
    those parts don't work very well in my case either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •