Thread: "You complete me" "You had me at hello"

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "You complete me." "You had me at hello."

Jerry Maguire. I've only ever heard people make fun of these quotes, but these characters maybe have types? I think there are potential problems with typing fictional characters, but still I wonder what types would be most likely to say something like that.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone can say things that barely mean anything.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Anyone can say things that barely mean anything.
    Ok, yeah, obviously. I must not have asked the question directly enough, though. What type are those characters supposed to be?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luckily for you typing movie characters is the only form of socionics i bother with any more, and you are right it is very very flawed. However after watching the initial 10 minutes of this movie (haven't seen it before, downloaded and am watching it now) I am 100% certain that Tom Cruise's character is a beta/gamma extrovert. I would lean more towards Se leading than Te or Fe and more towards SEE than SLE. However, again the only thing I am certain of is beta/gamma extrovert. I will respond to this thread again once I finish the movie.

To be clear which characters did you want typed? Just Tom Cruise's?
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, and just to clarify for anyone who want's help typing movie characters, chick flick romance films almost always involve one person of the couple being Se leading (or at the very least Se ego). That's prolly why they've always been my favorite movies lol.

Also don't try to focus on the details, well i suppose that goes for socionics in real life too. My point is that people can be so many different things in fiction (and non-ficiton) that you kinda just have to cross your eyes and get a general idea. Unless someone is a type exemplar, but those aren't as common as you'd think.
    Easy Day

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Jerry McGuire is SLE
    the girl (lol) is SEE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched it very long time ago. I don't even remember what it was about.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    I watched it very long time ago. I don't even remember what it was about.
    Cuba Gooding Jr. being a mother fucking boss. That's what it's about.

As much as I hate Maritsa, Jerry is Se leading and more likely SLE than SEE.

Why you ask? His awkwardness in his own romantic life, how he can't get out of his head and put on a happy face at his own wedding, he has to ask Rod if they are friends before he can reprimand him for being an ass, in general his social life lacks the sort of smooth finish that would be present in an SEE's.

By contrast you might look at his Ex Fiancée in the movie, she get's dumped at the start and by the end she's on the arm of someone even more powerful than Jerry that's not important the important part is the the movie sort of presents her as doing it without even breaking a sweat. Also feel free to ignore this paragraph seeing as she is in like 2 scenes for a total of 5 minutes and there is absolutely no way to type her with any sort of certainty. Rather she just seems SEEish.

Dorothy is an beta/gamma ethical, I would be disinclined to say SEE because she is so thrown by her circumstances at certain points during the movie, however her character is muddled socionically speaking and I could just be missing it seeing as the only SEE i have any experience with is, while being a type exemplar, bat shit insane (and also a dude) so he's not useful for comparison purposes.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    That's prolly why they've always been my favorite movies lol.
    For the most part, I just watch the ones with John Cusack.

I don't like this film... For some reason, Tom Cruise entertains me when he's really maniacal/assholeish, but he's kind of tame in this.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    For the most part, I just watch the ones with John Cusack.

I don't like this film... For some reason, Tom Cruise entertains me when he's really maniacal/assholeish, but he's kind of tame in this.
    Tom Cruise is only ok in this, agreed. It's the kid and Cuba that make the movie.

And I revoke your statement, you actually do not enjoy john Cusack, you enjoy Tom Hanks. See in the battle for best "everyman", you have to pick a side, and the right one is Tom Hanks.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I hate Maritsa
    halt the hatin!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Cruise is only ok in this, agreed. It's the kid and Cuba that make the movie.

And I revoke your statement, you actually do not enjoy john Cusack, you enjoy Tom Hanks. See in the battle for best "everyman", you have to pick a side, and the right one is Tom Hanks.
    He is the better everyman, but Cusack's edgier (for lack of a better word). These movies need more of that. His neuroticism makes it more realistic to me too.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    As much as I hate Maritsa
    halt the hatin!
    Naw, I'll just be petty instead. I'm good at it.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post

He is the better everyman, but Cusack's edgier (for lack of a better word). These movies need more of that. His neuroticism makes it more realistic to me too.
    Well shit. Me and one of my best friends have berm having this argument for years now and this is the first time someone has had something to say on the subject that I agree with.
    Easy Day