Thread: To-do lists and calendar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To-do lists and calendar

Do you like them? Do you use them? How much?
    Do you think it's type related? How?

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the Sticky Notes program to write up all my shifts and other important upcoming dates as a calendar. It's handy beacuse I have all the dates I need to remember looking straight at me on my desktop.

My memory is not the most reliable when it comes to days, shifts and other mundanities. having that external back up is invaluable for me.
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a diary that I take to all my classes where I write down any commitments and work I have to complete, it has any events that the school has as well, so it's convenient to have. I'm not sure if it's type related, though it may be related to the more organized half of the types who are bad at remembering collections of dates.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I attempted to start using those many times, but it tends to follow the same pattern... I'll write down some events, maybe, maybe check them once... then go back to it in a few months/years to give it another try. I fall out of routine.

Both my parents (LII & ESE) use those a lot. (They want me to do so as well.)

It might be more parent than type related though. You know, responsible people and stuff.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i've gone through brief periods of using them and i like the peace of mind i get from it but i never end up maintaining the habit long term.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really bad at this but i have to at least keep a calendar or my kids miss events and appointments. It isnt' easy though and my husband ends up reminding me about important stuff because he knows i'll miss it.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably should use these things. It's pretty much out of sight out of mind for me, unless there's something really urgent I have to do, which I either take care of immediately or procrastinate and forget about it for a week. Speaking of which I need to:

Give my apartment complex written notice not to re-up our lease
    Obtain a spark plug socket wrench
    Put in four spark plugs
    Make an eye appointment
    Order contacts
    Buy new work boots
    Get an oil change
    Make a dentist appointment
    Clean my shower
    Buy a graduation present for my sister
    Ugh

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm in love with the idea of organizing, but in application i often forget to keep up with what i've started. i used to physically sticky note things in high school, then i switched to using a moleskin to keep everything in one place. but a couple months ago my boyfriend bought me one of the new ipod touches so i've been trying out different apps for keeping things in one place... right now i'm using awesome note, idk how much it is because i think i pirated it
    Last edited by Lotus; 05-16-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I don't. I'll add a note in my email with a doctors apt time or something but other than that, they never work for me. Things come up and events change so much, it's pointless. I have a good mental note taking ability and if i don't remember it, probably wasn't important anyway.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like them as in "wow, I'm so looking forward to reading my to-do list," but I like how I get things done with them. Unless you have excellent memory, you won't get very far without one. I took some time during the summer to put my calendar and to-do lists into one location (MS Outlook) and it's made things a lot easier for me.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if I make a to-do list, I never go back and reference it later. I do make them occasionally just to sort out my thoughts and mentally prepare myself for the pace that I should be accomplishing things that, and from there I just remember what I need to be doing and lose the list. sometimes that also leads to realizing what can't happen in time, and then prioritizing occurs.

as far as calendars go, I use google calendar for long term dates that I need to remember, and it'll email me shorty beforehand, or I can go look wherever I am (as long as I'm near a computer). that's helpful for appointments and things that I don't care enough about to keep in my memory. as far as scheduling short-term, I never do that. I'm pretty good at remembering my weekly agenda.

it just adds stress if I have to be keeping up with a list or calendar throughout working or well living. that could be slightly type-related?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a physical calendar hanging in my kitchen that I write special events in. Stuff that is the same every week, I usually have no trouble remembering.

I try to keep my schedule as uncluttered and as flexible as possible. Like, I'll have one, maybe two "big" things per day that I want to accomplish, and that's it. Dunno how that all might have to change as my kids get older, though...
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like to-do lists. My SLI mom likes calendars.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ye, I pretty much have the next year of my life mapped out in complex intra-referencing notepad documents that took many hours not just to compile and brainstorm, but to provide proper and functional references to (e.g. education section -> math section -> references references websites, files, books, people, etc. in a step by step process relative to the subsection of mathematics). Plus the day by day list, then the calendar that has scheduled appointments and events.

How can one function without minimal monitoring of schedule?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I try to write a to-do list but I'll just forget about the list in most cases and do without (I'm sometimes forgetting things in the last minute). For my school, I have a little black book without lines or squares in which I write almost everything important (dates, instructions, changes) in an apparently chaotic way. It worked pretty well until now.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I have a good mental note taking ability and if i don't remember it, probably wasn't important anyway.
    This was my attitude growing up. As I got into high school and college, I started using to-do lists to keep tracking of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    Both my parents (LII & ESE) use those a lot. (They want me to do so as well.)
    Yes, I use them pretty often now, at least once a day. Helps me with my lack of efficiency, and in getting absolutely everything done that I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaris View Post
    Do you think it's type related? How?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    It might be more parent than type related though. You know, responsible people and stuff.
    I think in general, responsible people use to-do lists more often, independent of type.

Also, very generally socionically, I think that rationals probably use to-do lists more often than irrationals.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't use them, although i sometimes have a nagging voice in my head telling me i should.

i can get most of my scheduling information on the internet.

lists are a bit of a nuisance. the aim is to organize ones responsibilities so as to make them more bearable, but this is done by creating a new responsibility out of nowhere. whenever you can just get by making "mental" notes or orienting by resources already out there, the attention investment is rarely worth making.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    lists are a bit of a nuisance. the aim is to organize ones responsibilities so as to make them more bearable, but this is done by creating a new responsibility out of nowhere. whenever you can just get by making "mental" notes or orienting by resources already out there, the attention investment is rarely worth making.
    This

I have used them before, but a lot of the time it's just not worth the added thing to do. So, I only start using them when there's a lot going on and I start forgetting things or spend too much time trying to remember things.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I think this is a decent way to quickly distinguish between Si-valuers.

That said, I have the same problem as Megadoomer, and I think I'm Ni-leading naturally, but sometimes can be Ne-leading in shorter durations. It's also really interesting that everyone with clearer Si-valuing do find lists and/or calendars helpful in an overall sense.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Like a few here, I rarely ever make to-do lists, and if I do I usually end up not doing about half of the things on it. Either that or I entirely forget it exists. I don't bother with calendars or the date usually. Deadlines are so very restricting, especially self-imposed ones.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I used to do both, but my LSE cousin agrees that it's best if I just stick to routine, that way, most things are done automatically (maybe this is why they call LSE automatons ) and it takes the guesswork out of when to do what. I must agree, this has freed up a lot of time.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to get easily distracted and so forget things I'm supposed to be doing. Even if they were things I had wanted to do. If it's not happening at the moment, it's likely to be forgotten quickly.

Because of this, I began making lists of things to do, to help remind me. I'm constantly running into old lists that I had made..scratched off a couple of things..and then forgot about...leaving the list unfinished. It's kinda funny to me to look over them months to years later (when I accidentally come across them) and see what kinds of things I found so important or was worried I'd forget. Many of those lists seem to be replicates of each other, as even simple things will be listed...like a reminder to do the dishes, lol.

When I have to drive into town to do errands, I will make a list, and then reorder it into a more efficient path than my mind remembered them.

As for calendars, I use those when it's involving other people. Like dr appts, daughter's choir performances, pink gatherings, etc.

For the past two weeks I've been trying to remember to take a neighbor's dog out a couple of times each day. So far I've failed to be consistent. I just lose track of time so easily, and am so easily distracted. I'll remember about 90-45 minutes before time, get involved in something, and then a few hours later suddenly remember that I'm to take the dog out. Argh. I'm now going to attempt to set a daily alarm on my phone to see if that will help me.

(Lists are also good for thinking out loud and making decisions. This is my primary method. I've got boxes and boxes of these attempts... )
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you use them?
    I have a good memory, I don't forget things, that is, I know when, how and what to do having done it before, so no.

Do you think it's type related?
    No idea.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    I think in general, responsible people use to-do lists more often, independent of type.
    Well, responsible people with a bad memory

anyway I only use to-do lists when I have to bag for a trip and-or moving, to be sure I'm carrying everything I need. Otherwise I usually remember everything I have to do...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit