Thread: Enneagram type 9 instinct variants

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram type 9 instinct variants

from here: http://www.personalitynation.com/typ...stackings.html

i'm not sure who/what bliss stream is and what to make of these descriptions - they're interesting and i don't immediately identify with sp/sx the most. thoughts? 9s?

so/sx 9w1
    They want to contribute something new and passionate to society, but feel like too much of a social nonentity to do it. They may view themselves as 4ish due to issues around uniqueness, but these issues only arise because of how aware they are that others possess a sense of self, which only reinforces the 9's sense of nothingness....Since they know they lack a strong self, they lack hope about contributing something original. They resolve the quagmire either by spinning their wheels with fruitless and endless self-examination hoping to discover something deep about themselves or by conforming to various personalities and completely checking out. They are dispassionate in general but can seem more passionate, sad, or lively because they comply to a voice in the back of their head telling them how they should react and what's appropriate. They know underneath how internally unaffected they are. They are taken back by the possibilities of things they could imagine happening without stirring a real reaction in them and find it disturbing to think about how they could merge into anything... They can seem 7-like in their draw to books, people, beliefs, and adventures, but they are drawn to these outlets in hopes of receiving a sense of perspective and self. They have a nose for unconscious structures and may create a new language around patterns, themes, or archetypes in myths, traditions, history, and groups. They are easy to mistype because they can seem to run fully on the 'software" or agendas of different types. They may search for approval and validation like a 3, but reject the approval once they get it as if wondering why they would be worthy of admiration or attention in the first place. It's the 'agenda' 'software' itself they are addicted to, not the result.

so/sp 9w1
    They deeply care about their community's welfare and get wedded to ideals and dreams in their imagination. They seek out responsible positions in society and infuse the collective unconscious with an antidote against cynicism. They spend their lives fighting off cynicism for the good of the whole. More than anything, they are masters at bridging groups together for the sake of compromise. Every advancement they make is reframed in their stream of conscious as 'we made' "they did" 'we did.' They view the collective as having a responsibility to put an end to poverty and other social ills and get testy when harmony is disrupted by politics and special interests....They hold the 'we" "them" "whole" to high expectations, but they don't feel like enough of an entity to impact the greater good. They look for transformational leaders to merge with...They may try too hard to hint at the similarity between them and whoever they are merged with, sometimes appearing wooden in their drawnout monotone rambling. They identify with compromise and peace to an extent they lack a spine for conflict and seem overtly soft, preferring to leave confrontational action for others...They'll take it on the chin even when the most pragmatic course is to hit back...as they believe that everyone is willing to sacrifice for the sake of harmony. They are shrewd at using their social capital to mobilize others into doing what they lack the motivation to do themselves....They never feel the whole so fully as when people with opposing views compromise. A good compromise helps solve their 'nothingness' issue and fills them with an appreciation for existence... The precision of their attunement to boundaries in the social sphere is something like feeling the ripples of "a butterfly flapping its wings."

sp/so 9w1
    They are the most persona non gratta 9w1s.... They have a warm, gentle and diplomatic feel about them as if nobody is home. Their presence is wimpy and resigned, but occasionally they might erupt in a burst of gut truth like somebody sliding head first into home plate. They sometimes take testy, tough, and immoveable positions with relatives.... But inevitably resign themselves to putting their heads in the sand. They can have an unassuming ambition and fall into depression or bouts of despair not having yet made a mark...They are reliable reporters of what's going on socially and are more stuck to people in their environment than they let on. Unlike sp/sx 9w1, this stack sticks to their routines much longer and more consistently in the details of their activity day in and day out, right down to the conversations they have with people and the inflections and tones they use in their voice. They may seem like 5w6 in their scientific orientation. But they are unshakeable idealists when it comes to their sense of duty and social responsibility. They will do what's necessary without fanfare but can seem cool and aloof as if it's all process. They contain a social motor of willpower that lacks self-awareness. This same aloofness can show up as an indifference towards the needs of family members when they are under stress. They see how everything subjective is ultimately swallowed up into nothing, giving them a long, long view of events. They know when they can move the "templates" of reality forward through their unconscious sense for which way the winds are blowing. But in doing so, they still retain the detachment to narrate events as if they weren't the ones moving them.

sp/sx 9w1
    This typewingstack most clearly embodies Jung's Introverted Sensation style. They are the eyes and fingers of the universe examining itself. They are most aware of how everyone is connected indirectly through the swamps of psychic muck. They have a sense of adventure and view the world as a playground where they can move beyond the biases of their own ego by learning about the world around them. They learn about themselves by learning about others and they want to grasp every interesting person they encounter at the level of the unconscious....engagement isn't exactly necessary but rather they have an extrasensory decoder for the subconscious... They aren't burdened by social obligations, so their inner aesthetic is a daily source of nourishment. Their internal repose slows things down so they can get a better look and feel for the world around them....they see the textures that others miss and can articulate the texture in a way that taps into the electrical charge of reality. Their convictions and ideals are more personal than sp/so, but also unshakeable. They cobble together their own basic truths without the drag of social responsibility and embrace philosophies as flexible as necessary to accommodate their personal epiphanies...they believe that words and language are imperfect and childish tools to communicate these truths and epiphanies. They feel truth can only be hinted at through aesthetics such as art or film or music. They are drawn to and fascinated by the language of the unspoken and believe this is where all the intentions of life spring.... They view words as primitive and utilitarian, and attune themselves to the subconscious realm (under the spoken word) where it is impossible for people to hide their inner being....They can resemble 5w4s in their grasp for subtlety, but they are working at a more elemental level where nothing is purely true, but nothing is purely not true. All expression is a distortion of the truth that relates to the origin of the cosmos. Every act pertains to "god" "creation" the "singularity." Even people's masks and false propositions are distortions of this truth. They are more interested in the elemental forces that move events rather than the event itself. They have access to archetypes in the unconscious where mythological battles can be hashed out while keeping the 9 disconnected from their body and instinct. They have the freedom to play around with absurdity and imagine extreme 'violence' and destruction against the elements they have merged with in their imagination. They view life as a series of inevitabilities...They take a passive role in relationships as if they were fully merged with the universe's agenda to let all things happen as they must.

sx/so 9w1
    They look for people who can spark their passion and help improve them as a person... But once they begin to merge with somebody they are passionate about, they become more hesitant about showing their passion...This may look like disinterest, but it reflects the sensitivity they have to separation. They want to avoid creating memories that could come back to haunt them....so they may often break eye contact or go aloof as a reflex to intense or romantic moments... The more they do this kind of thing, the stronger they feel for the person. This type falls in love easily, but has difficulty falling out of love and prefers not to let themselves fall out of love. They stay in love with the world and people by living inside of their fantasy world where they can maintain a relationship long after it ends....On occasion, reminders may be powerful enough to break through their defenses and remind them of what once was. The longer they put off dealing with their negative feelings, the more they will continue to reexperience breakup years after the fact....one dream can force them into a state of melancholy for days on end....They may seek escape through other things like music...They usually have a great ear for music and can learn instruments rather easily, and even compose their own stuff. Their compositions are usually scattered across the board from melancholy to absurd. If they can't find passion through a relationship, they may look alternatively through a cause. They believe in doing the 'right thing' and will protest the "wrong thing." They don't just want connections with people, but a sense of solidarity with those who care deeply about the same issues like they do. They have a soft spot for anything living and defenseless, and can even seem "extreme" or "kooky" in their defense of these things. In spite of it, they retain a shy, sweet, and gentle exterior with a touch of autism.

sx/sp 9w1
    This typewingstack embodies the passion of sloth very well. They desire personal development and enlightenment. However, their sloth is always one step ahead of them. They know what they gotta do, but can't summon the motivation to do it. They get more in touch with their own willpower later on in life. They do very well in fields that involve listening and connection so long as they can get their judgmental 1 wing under control. They have less drive for comfort and more drive for intense experiences. These 9s can sit around and have long conversations with people they hardly know in the strangest places and lose themselves in ripples only the 9 is aware of. Their fractured identities can also manifest in their living environment....i.e. some parts could be on the warm and bright side while other parts are plain and unattended to. More than other 9w1s, this 9w1 can virtually run on a fast and scattered autopilot for long periods of time with virtually no productive activity. Depression and self-destruction is not uncommon. They are most attuned to the sense that underneath all the things they know they have to do and attain, there is an essential nothingness at the core of existence, even of their own 'identity', and this only further locks them into their narcolepsy. Afterall, becoming awake would bring them to terms with this nothingness and that's not something they want to confront. They don't usually have a social network to fall back on. They idealize connections to such an extent that finding a friend is like searching for a needle in a haystack.... They can wind up feeling completely numb, lost, lonely, and longing for a blissful sense of completion that can only come from a relationship. Perhaps this is why no 9w1 is more pushy and assertive when it comes to merging. When they do, it's as if they are totally blind to any boundary between themselves and the other. As they get older, they can grow more guarded and less excited/open to the flow of experience.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It is difficult to weigh up all the various sub-clauses against each other, but from these I still feel my stacking is sp/so. How someone is supposed to make use of such a level of categorisation I do not know.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Does a set of descriptions exist for E1s?

(p.s. further to my previous post, I can see why people (@silke I think was one, but I'm sure there were otters also ) could think me so/sp rather than sp/so, whether as an e9 or an e1, but I find that the description in the OP of the 9w1 sp/so is one of the most apt reflections of my personality I have ever read, with the so/sp description still being a fairly good one for me. I do worry about the parts that are impossible as defined for an individual to identify in themselves: there is a danger they are verging on weasel-words, although I think they give a general flavour that it is possible to self-identify with).

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if I'm a 9w1 anymore, I keep back and forth between 9, 5, and 6.

Of the stacking descriptions, sp/so seems to fit me best followed by so/sx. It's interesting how in the sp/so description, they often look like 5w6. For a long time, I self-typed as 5w6.

Do you have the 9w8 stacking descriptions? I don't think I have an 8 wing if I'm type 9 but I am curious to compare with 9w1.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It always helps to get clear what the fundamentals of the types are about. Enneagram 891 to me are the gut/instinct/will types -- the fundamental fixation for all of them is more or less that there is a need to act/exert the will in the world, and there are natural things that seem to oppose that need. Enneagram 9 focuses on the inertial perspective -- to the highest extent possible they attempt to neither move, nor be moved by outside entities and forces. Enneagram 8 sees the world in terms of dualities (it is in proximity to the fear triad, which involves the existence of foreign bodies apart from oneself). Enneagram 1 on the other hand measures possible contradiction to its will against a general ideal: do I act perfectly, if so there shall be no contradiction to my will being done.
    These 3 types tend to be most unconscious to the insufficiency of the ego, because, fundamentally, if you go by something like Jung's model, the welling up of instinct from the unconscious provides impetus for the ego to decide courses of action, and the less these energies get "contradicted" (i.e. when the ego is unable to channel them into fulfillment, the more likely it is that the ego's insufficiency fails to become known).

E5's worldview tends to be quite different from E9. All the mind types suffer from a level of mind-paralysis in knowing how to act against a foreign world. With E5 this tends to be about experiencing a profound unrelatedness to objects, leading to a paralysis of action and a level of confusion/indecision. Often this unrelatedness manifests in an inferior feeling function in Jung terms.
    With E6 the fixation is more directly in mind, meaning how to know how to know how to know, and so forth. Spiraling within mind itself.
    There are many responses to that fixation -- some leading to obsessive truth-seeking, others leading to a phobic and compliant attitude against authority figures offering a sense of certainty that otherwise isn't there (and it can be a love-hate relation).

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone wanting to see the rest of these descriptions, they're right here:

https://runningfather.wordpress.com/...moonshine-net/

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chemical View Post
    It always helps to get clear what the fundamentals of the types are about. Enneagram 891 to me are the gut/instinct/will types -- the fundamental fixation for all of them is more or less that there is a need to act/exert the will in the world, and there are natural things that seem to oppose that need. Enneagram 9 focuses on the inertial perspective -- to the highest extent possible they attempt to neither move, nor be moved by outside entities and forces. Enneagram 8 sees the world in terms of dualities (it is in proximity to the fear triad, which involves the existence of foreign bodies apart from oneself). Enneagram 1 on the other hand measures possible contradiction to its will against a general ideal: do I act perfectly, if so there shall be no contradiction to my will being done.
    These 3 types tend to be most unconscious to the insufficiency of the ego, because, fundamentally, if you go by something like Jung's model, the welling up of instinct from the unconscious provides impetus for the ego to decide courses of action, and the less these energies get "contradicted" (i.e. when the ego is unable to channel them into fulfillment, the more likely it is that the ego's insufficiency fails to become known).

E5's worldview tends to be quite different from E9. All the mind types suffer from a level of mind-paralysis in knowing how to act against a foreign world. With E5 this tends to be about experiencing a profound unrelatedness to objects, leading to a paralysis of action and a level of confusion/indecision. Often this unrelatedness manifests in an inferior feeling function in Jung terms.
    With E6 the fixation is more directly in mind, meaning how to know how to know how to know, and so forth. Spiraling within mind itself.
    There are many responses to that fixation -- some leading to obsessive truth-seeking, others leading to a phobic and compliant attitude against authority figures offering a sense of certainty that otherwise isn't there (and it can be a love-hate relation).
    I think in that case I'm more 5 than 9.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Sir that's my emotional support gremlin ApeironStella's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-Ne 5w4 594 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading so/sx one again is such a slap in the face for me tbh. It captures everything I tend to have a problem with while typing- The 4-ish "sense of not belonging" while also at the same time not having an identity around their pains as they don't really focus on that, 7-ish side of running to fiction and bonding with people in an attempt to look for an identity... Also, the nose for unconsinous patterns/creating languages out of patterns themes etc is a perfect fit too.

"They are easy to mistype because they can seem to run fully on the 'software" or agendas of different types. They may search for approval and validation like a 3, but reject the approval once they get it as if wondering why they would be worthy of admiration or attention in the first place. It's the 'agenda' 'software' itself they are addicted to, not the result."

This, so much. It is something I really have a trouble figuring out, that I am both simultaneously unconsinously seeking out of admiration/approval/validation yet the moment I get it I start to get puzzled over it, wondering what anyone would ever see in me.

This mostly settles the instinct subject for me for now, I guess. I mean, I am low key aware that I will doubt it again at some point but then again:

" They resolve the quagmire either by spinning their wheels with fruitless and endless self-examination hoping to discover something deep about themselves or by conforming to various personalities and completely checking out. "

Weelp.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

so/sx 9w1
    They want to contribute something new and passionate to society, but feel like too much of a social nonentity to do it. They may view themselves as 4ish due to issues around uniqueness, but these issues only arise because of how aware they are that others possess a sense of self, which only reinforces the 9's sense of nothingness....Since they know they lack a strong self, they lack hope about contributing something original.
    That's actually quite insightful into why 9s sometimes mistype themselves as 4s - so basically both types experience identity issues, but since this isn't really highlighted on the 9 profiles, but it is on the 4 profiles, this could lead a 9 to identify with type 4 instead.