• SLI

0 0%

Thread: Jorane

Big Sister IS watchIng me Sleep HERO's Avatar
    420 funny town
    25 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jorane

I discovered Jorane's music in 2001 long before I ever heard (of) PJ Harvey, Amanda Palmer, etc. Jorane was my favorite singer at the time, and in many ways she still is. She's one of my favorite singer-songwriters, and definitely my favorite Canadian/Francophone singer-songwriter/musician/cellist.

I've seen her live twice. I once met her when she was one of the opening acts for another singer. She signed one of the Erich Fromm books I had at the time -- I don't know if it was "The Art of Loving" or "The Art of Being." I was quite shy, so my Mom had to speak on my behalf a fair bit.

So, what's her [Jorane's] type?

Here are the pictures:

'Album Review
    The Jorane tornado unexpectedly hit Quebec in Fall 1999. The young singer/cellist took everyone by surprise with her first album, Vent Fou (Crazy Wind). This CD presented 13 songs of unbridled passion and experimentation that brought Tori Amos immediately to mind. The cellist is surrounded by her very capable trio (guitarist Alexandre Dumas, bassist Jean-François Lemieux, and drummer Alexis Martin) augmented by one of the most creative minds of the late-'90s Montreal music scene: guitarist Bernard Falaise (Marie-Jo Thério, Miriodor, Papa Boa), who produced the album, supplied arrangements and played various instruments. Jorane sings in French (seven tracks), in English (two tracks), and without words. The music is driven by her cello, which she approaches more lyrically than rock cellist Claude Lamothe. But she can rock, too, as featured on the short and condensed "Vent Fou," a crazy number. Most of the time, though, the music is reminiscent of Amos' Under the Pink, her voice emotional on the verge of breaking down, the pace of each song going from intimate to exuberant, from exhausted to exhilarating. "Monsieur Piment" (Mr. Pimento) is a disturbing instrumental with alien sonorities, sobbing at the end, and an overall aggressiveness one can easily relate to Falaise's work with Papa Boa. "Sous-Marin Marion" (Marion Submarine) hinted at what her second album, 16mm, would be. "Machaut" is actually three and a half minutes long but includes a hidden instrumental track. Vent Fou was welcomed with critical acclaim and immediate cult following in Canada and Europe. ~ François Couture, Rovi'

“The Parisian press has compared her to Tori Amos, Sinead O’Connor and Loreena McKennitt, but Jorane defies classification. Often singing in a language of her own invention, somewhere between onomatopoeia and automatism, a language that breaks all the boundaries, this virtuoso cellist has been acclaimed across Canada and internationally, from Europe to Japan. A musical approach that draws on classical and neo-Celtic traditions. Serene, intriguing and bewitching.”

[youtube comments:]

• Tasneem0987654321: do you have the lyrics for this? cant seem to find it on the net.

Elennn666: You can't find it 'cause Jorane made her own imaginary language

lilith 102: You can’t understand the words because there is actually no word in this song [“Pour Gabrielle”]. It’s her own imaginary language

StudioMinima: What is the language in which she is singing?

Sangrielle: It’s Fantasylanguage ; )

Here are the songs:

Last edited by HERO; 05-09-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Kristen Pfaff and Kurt Donald Cobain didn't like the scene anyhow